Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

tangy yet delightful posted:

I replaced the battery in my key fob today. For my next trick I'm researching how to do brake pads for the first time in my life.

Pads aren't too difficult, just make sure to clean up the bolts with a wire brush (if you live in rustville) and hit them with whatever penetrating fluid you like. A short breaker bar with some nice 6 point sockets will make things easier for possible stubborn bolts. Aside from that just take your time and if your brake setup has a little pad separation/anti rattle device, make sure you note how it all fits together. The ones I had to buy for my Lexus confused me greatly for 5 minutes because the previous owner obviously couldn't figure it out and ditched it entirely so I had no direct reference to work from. And check if you need a special caliper rewind tool or you're good to use a g-clamp and an old pad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
I like to follow a "best practice" guide om YouTube. I think Edd China did one with some brake company.

nadmonk
Nov 26, 2017

The spice must flow in and through me.
The fire will cleanse me body and soul.

After doing the brakes and wheel hubs, I was hearing a little bit of a scraping noise from the wheels. My hunch was the dust shield.

My hunch was right:

Thankfully, I have the appropriate calibration tool:

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

tangy yet delightful posted:

I replaced the battery in my key fob today. For my next trick I'm researching how to do brake pads for the first time in my life.

Pro tip, do one side at a time. That way you can reference the other for which way does this part go. More helpful on drums but can be useful on discs too.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

chrisgt posted:

Whites out every time, to put them in is blasphemy!!
I'm bias, though. I put these on my metro...

White LETTERS out. White stripes are pure dork, unless they are full whitewalls on an appropriate vehicle ('50s Kustom, Cadillac, Rolls, etc.)
That said, nice, clean Metro! I put radio + 2 speakers in like 60 of those for a rental car company when I worked for a stereo shop years ago (obviously - they were new then.) There's something to be said for how... simple those things are.

BigPaddy posted:

Sadly these grade A booger welds are an improvement from my last attempts.

Don't take this the wrong way, but I feel better about my welds now. :D

But:

Motronic posted:

That's more than just you duder. Your flux core wire is bad. Looks like the flux is soaked. That's why it's all explodey.

Try a new, sealed spool of decent quality wire.

It's that.
Best advice I got when I bought a Harbor Freight crackerbox flux-core was to literally throw away the wire that came with it, and buy a new spool of quality stuff. I bought Lincoln, since that's what Home Depot had. Worked fine until I got an actual MIG.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Took it for the yearly safety/smog.

Got rejected. :smith:

.... tried to do it too early. I can't do it until October 1st. Was trying to get it done as early as possible thanks to the recent occasional P0420. I'll just beat the snot out of it until then to try and keep the cat as hot as possible whenever I drive it. It passed the safety part fine, at least.

"STR, why did you try to do it early?" Because I'm a dumbass and just saw the 12/20 expiration on my registration, we get 90 days before registration renewal to do it... and thought that meant "oh, 90 days until December means I can get that inspection anytime starting in September!". Nope, it's 90 days before December 31st. :downsgun:

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 01:08 on Sep 24, 2020

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

In tonight's adventure of making my car more uncomfortable, I installed a whole bunch of urethane shifter bushings and a hard cradle mount. I've still got to bolt the rest back together, so I can take pictures tomorrow.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Exhaust is vbanded at the diff, so I had a larger muffler with a vbanded tip welded up so I can pass sound at AMP and probably Laguna.

ThirstyBuck
Nov 6, 2010

I put approximately 600lbs of lumber for some garden steps on my new roof rack. Who are these silly engineers that state a max load of 165lbs?? I'm sure the glass roof underneath would have supported it all had they failed.

^^What is up with the weird tip on the exhaust? Do you take it off after sound testing?

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

ThirstyBuck posted:

^^What is up with the weird tip on the exhaust? Do you take it off after sound testing?

Laguna pipe. the sound sensors are around the outside of the track, so when he goes there he can point the pipe to the left.

Just GIS laguna pipes for some wacky solutions.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

ThirstyBuck posted:

I put approximately 600lbs of lumber for some garden steps on my new roof rack. Who are these silly engineers that state a max load of 165lbs?? I'm sure the glass roof underneath would have supported it all had they failed.

I had 14 16ft 2x12s on the roof of my XJ for a drive across town once. It was sketchy but handled it.

Huge_Midget
Jun 6, 2002

I don't like the look of it...

DrChu posted:

Added a sub to my BRZ today:

I had tried a spare tire one before but it was too tall so I returned it. After a few months I found out Cerwin Vega started making a shallow version (this is 4.7" tall, most others I've found are 5.7") so I ordered it. Its not a perfect fit, most because that wing nut in the center sticks up above the sub. Is there a fastener type like a wing nut that is more flatter and can be tightened by hand so I can remove it in case I need to get the spare out?

I too have bought that sub woofer as a replacement for the hilarious joke of a sub that is the stock unit in the Focus RS.

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

:getin:
Used my car for ~~~station wagon things~~~

DrChu
May 14, 2002

A couple weeks ago I posted

DrChu posted:

Added a sub to my BRZ today:

I had tried a spare tire one before but it was too tall so I returned it. After a few months I found out Cerwin Vega started making a shallow version (this is 4.7" tall, most others I've found are 5.7") so I ordered it. Its not a perfect fit, most because that wing nut in the center sticks up above the sub. Is ttimghere a fastener type like a wing nut that is more flatter and can be tightened by hand so I can remove it in case I need to get the spare out?

Thanks to the suggestions here I ordered some knurled thumb nuts and a new threaded rod to make a new holder that’s more flush. As I was measuring what size to cut the rod I realized the wing nut wasn’t permanently attached, so I just removed it and swapped on the knurled nut.

As a whole the sub only sticks up about a quarter inch higher than the surrounding trays now. I’ll probably get some adhesive backed foam and build up the trays a little to even it out.

I also recently picked up an header and started to get that installed. I had to remove way more stuff than I thought (and that all the tutorials gloss over) so I stopped for the day once I got everything removed.

Catted and unequal length. I would have preferred equal length but it was nearby and the price was right. Hope I don’t hate it!

Also, since the I had to remove the O2 sensors, how do these look? I don’t think I’ve ever replaced one before and I have no codes, the rear one had a fair amount of build up on it.

DrChu fucked around with this message at 23:07 on Sep 27, 2020

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Discovered the likely source of annoying squealing sounds:

It had to be the stuck caliper because all other pads were still fine, so I replaced it too.

Grakkus
Sep 4, 2011

Fitted a new radio to my friends new-to-them MX5

And oh God the wiring..

Ended up redoing loads of wiring in the car, including running new wires into the doors for both the speakers and the power windows. Bleh.

Professor of Cats
Mar 22, 2009

Grakkus posted:

And oh God the wiring..

i discovered the same horrors not too long ago when I pulled up the old "house carpet" from my project car. But credit to the that person, they at least soldered it. lol

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Grakkus posted:

And oh God the wiring..

I don't see the problem. Connections, plus the bonus of allowing for extra connections!

stevewm
May 10, 2005
People who cut the factory harness up during a audio install deserve a special place in hell.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Went back to the junkyard hoping the dealer-option Subaru floormats were still in one of the Outbacks. Nope, someone got them. :smith: It was parked in the far far corner of the yard, so there was A Chance. My floormats LOOK okay, but they reek to hell when they get damp.

Did finally managed to snag headrests for my back seat (all 3 were missing when I got it). One of them wound up being bent (noticed it when I pulled it from the donor car, but wasn't sure if they were adjustable and was just in a hurry to get out of the sun at that point). Luckily I test fitted in the parking lot at LKQ, so I was able to get my $7 + tax back quickly (it's the far one in this pic).

Almost grabbed the never-used spare tire out of one of them, but realized I'd never even looked at mine. Turns out that while mine has been used (probably once), it's in good shape, especially for its age, and surprisingly almost fully inflated, with the full toolkit. I wouldn't trust it at highway speeds (because 19 year old tire :stare:), but to limp home it looks like it's Good Enough.

Now if I can just find an intact set of rear cup holders.. :sigh: Might go back for the cargo area carpet too (it's 4 pieces - spare tire cover is the largest, the other 3 are smallish, all hardboard backed), the carpet in my cargo area is a bit rough (stained, dirty, etc).

stevewm posted:

People who cut the factory harness up during a audio install deserve a special place in hell.

This. Nearly every car I looked at at the junkyard had this poo poo done.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 01:39 on Sep 29, 2020

Diametunim
Oct 26, 2010
Today I made myself very sad. Early February this year one of the calipers on my E46 M3 locked up while I was driving. After inspecting the calipers on the car I figured the best thing I could do for peace of mind was replace all 4 corner with re-mans. Me being the asshat that I am decided it would be a grand idea to paint the new calipers so they would look nice. Due to my ~80hr+ week work schedule I have very little time to work on anything other than try to keep my sanity. So I was elated the other day to finally finish painting these stupid loving things.

Until I put the caliper brackets in the oven to cure.

gently caress. :suicide:

Thank god I cured the caliper brackets first and not the calipers themselves. Although I'm almost 100% certain that the exact same issue is going to occur on the calipers if I try to cure them or once I put heat in them while they're on the car. Does anyone have any advice on how I can keep this issue from happening on the calipers, or insight into what I may have done wrong for this level of bubbling to occur? At this point I'm debating the following:

1) Order a new set of re-mans from Rock Auto and try to re-paint the new set correctly.
2) Sand my existing caliper and bracket set down with 110 grit and re-paint. Any tips for achieving this quickly?
3) Having these shipped off and professionally painted. Any recommendations?
4) gently caress it, I buy a used brembo bbk in black and call it a day.

I honestly believe my mistake was using an improper combination of primers / paints / clears. For the caliper brackets I used VHT primer, VHT paint, and VHT clear. The calipers are painted with VHT primer, Dupli-color enamel paint, and VHT clear.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
That sucks. :smith:

I'd think if they handle oven curing they might be able to handle normal street braking, you don't usually see brembos turning brown until they are proper decent driver track hot. That's a shame.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Gas or electric oven?

I ask because moisture is a byproduct of burning natural gas. Maybe that could have hosed it up?

Diametunim
Oct 26, 2010

BlackMK4 posted:

That sucks. :smith:

I'd think if they handle oven curing they might be able to handle normal street braking, you don't usually see brembos turning brown until they are proper decent driver track hot. That's a shame.

It deffo sucks. Fingers crossed the bubbling doesn't occur on the calipers themselves. The parts of the bracket you will see on the car are cured and the paint is adhearing well enough I'm just going to mount them to the car and go with it. If the calipers start bubbling when they start getting heat in them I'll just cry then send them off to be professionally painted.

STR posted:

Gas or electric oven?

I ask because moisture is a byproduct of burning natural gas. Maybe that could have hosed it up?

I do have a gas oven so that's certainly a possibility I hadn't thought about. The bubbles go all the way down to the metal so I wonder if I failed to properly clean the surface before I painted them with the first stage of primer.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

I wouldn't put those in your oven that you cook food in also. Dunno what fumes and poo poo come off of that...

Worse case scenario just drop them off at a powdercoating place.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Suburban Dad posted:

I wouldn't put those in your oven that you cook food in also. Dunno what fumes and poo poo come off of that...

Worse case scenario just drop them off at a powdercoating place.

That's a great idea! They can strip and clean them super easy too.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

STR posted:

\
Now if I can just find an intact set of rear cup holders.. :sigh: Might go back for the cargo area carpet too (it's 4 pieces - spare tire cover is the largest, the other 3 are smallish, all hardboard backed), the carpet in my cargo area is a bit rough (stained, dirty, etc).

I gave up on the rear cupholder. I repaired the original, then one of my ladies (wife or daughter, don't know which boliviously folded the seat without folding up the cupholder) destroyed it again. It's a poo poo design - needs to be much beefier to deal with the inevitable brain fade while folding down the rear seat.

Diametunim posted:

I honestly believe my mistake was using an improper combination of primers / paints / clears. For the caliper brackets I used VHT primer, VHT paint, and VHT clear. The calipers are painted with VHT primer, Dupli-color enamel paint, and VHT clear.

Quite possibly poo poo that was in the pores of the brackets if they weren't brand new.
I typically either use the paints specifically labelled for brake calipers, or high-heat paint intended for engines, usually both are single stage, no primer required. Have had decent luck with the Duplicolor brand O'Reilly's carries, and "Motor Coater" brush on/spray gun engine paint. The calipers on my Crown Vic are still white, though with some chipping that is probably from inadequate prep.

(when I did them. Don't have a current pic, but they still look decent.)

I tend to use "Cast Iron Grey" Engine Enamel for rotors and brackets, which works well, too.

Oh, hey, they do have an Engine Enamel primer. I forgot about that!

For true durability, though, I'm echoing powder coating.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Darchangel posted:

I gave up on the rear cupholder. I repaired the original, then one of my ladies (wife or daughter, don't know which boliviously folded the seat without folding up the cupholder) destroyed it again. It's a poo poo design - needs to be much beefier to deal with the inevitable brain fade while folding down the rear seat.

Mine never had one, there's just a hole there. The one I got the cargo cover and taillights from did, but it fell apart just from opening it. Probably broken already. None of the others I've seen in yards have one.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
Almost reassembled the S10. Just some weather stripping left and for some reason I have misplaced some screws. There were poo poo missing to start with, but I can't for the life of me find some of the stuff. Oh well. Going to make a list of stuff that is needed and see if the local (and seemingly only) pick-and-pull has some of it without being expensive as gently caress. The tail lights for example are hanging on by a single screw each, and are cracked in places.
Tomorrow it'll get a fuel and air filter.

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

Some new wheels on the Del Sol. 15x6.5 Rota Slipstream with 195/50/15 Firehawk 900 tires.
Hopefully the suspension will settle a little more, but overall I’m happy. Mostly because now I don’t have to run it on 175/70/13 Linglong Crosswind garbage tires.

Luckily it was a nice day so I could work on it outside instead of moving the “inside Hondas” to work on it in the garage.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
How are you liking that body lift? I've been lusting after one for a while

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

Panty Saluter posted:

How are you liking that body lift? I've been lusting after one for a while

I’ve had this Quick Jack for a few years and it’s great. I only got the 5,000lb model so I won’t use it on the trucks, but it’s perfect for working on all the normal car-sized vehicles. Lots of access underneath, even if it only lifts about 20”

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

I have a Quick Jack as well and it works really well.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
well it seems everyone enjoys a quick jack :v:

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

STR posted:

Mine never had one, there's just a hole there. The one I got the cargo cover and taillights from did, but it fell apart just from opening it. Probably broken already. None of the others I've seen in yards have one.

Guess why?
They get destroyed the *instant* you fold the seat base up without folding the cupholder back into the console. The hinge pins break off. Not really sure what could be done about it. Might be able to make a more robust cupholder for only a single cup. The butterfly mechanism for the double takes up a bit of space that could be used for making stronk.

DrChu
May 14, 2002

Tried to add a TRD Quick Shifter to my BRZ since I still have the car jacked up and exhaust off, what a disaster.

Its basically a bracket the extends the bottom of the shift lever a little bit to reduce the throw length with a trade off of a little increased effort. Getting the stock shift assembly apart was no problem, but trying to put this on was all frustration. The boots constantly get it in the way but need to be the first thing put on. The bracket connected to the lever as expected, but then I could not get the linkage threaded through the bottom part of it. At best I got it halfway, and I enlisted the help of my partner to hold the lever in place while inside the car so I could try to tap it in with a hammer and still nothing. Getting it back out from the halfway point was just as much work.

Also one of the steps is to loosen the driveshaft bracket for more clearance (which gives you about an extra 1/4"), but each time you bump the drive shaft it moves out a little more and pretty soon its out enough to vent the transmission oil smell which is lovely.

Tomorrow I'm going to try connecting the linkage first, and then bolting that to the lever.

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

I was worried the TRD shifter kit would be a pain in the rear end.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Safety/smog done.

Went to the place I went to before, which supposedly is open 9-6 on weekdays, 10-5 on Saturdays. Waited until 10:05. Went to a chain inspection-only type place (Sticker Stop), which is known to be pretty strict (they failed me last year because my front window tint measured at 24% VLT... state cutoff is 25%, so it was probably whatever factory tint was in the window plus 25% tint)

This time, they passed it first try, but did mention the tires need some love very soon (3 are at 4/32, one is at 3/32). So once I renew the registration, it's likely good until the car dies. Just need to wait 2-3 days for the inspection report to upload before I can renew the registration. It WILL get new tires, just cheap ones.. pretty sure the cheapest tires Discount carries will be better than the 8 year old Fuzions it has now. Honestly didn't expect the car to last a year, but welp, here we are a week or two shy of a year.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 17:01 on Oct 1, 2020

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
The only short shifter I've ever dealt with was a godawful Ractive that had unbelievable amounts of lateral slop. The throws were shorter but the action sucked and it rattled like a mofo. I am fully cognizant that it was a particularly bad example but I view short shifters and kits with a very jaundiced eye now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
Went to finally change the fuel filter on the S10 (that probably hasn't been changed in ages and ages) only to find that it had fused to the already rusty and brittle line. Started leaking after wire brushing it and then it just went. Thankfully there apparently are repair kits for this part of the fuel line. Annoying as gently caress though.