Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

I literally had no idea TibSun was even on OpenRA. I feel out of touch.
It isn't officially, and various mechanics still don't work or are WIP, as far as I know. This mod's the closest you'll get at the moment, and there's also a similar one based on RA2 that's even less along.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Mordja posted:

It isn't officially, and various mechanics still don't work or are WIP, as far as I know. This mod's the closest you'll get at the moment, and there's also a similar one based on RA2 that's even less along.

That's exciting though because it suggests the direction Petroglyph and Lemonsky will go next

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

That's exciting though because it suggests the direction Petroglyph and Lemonsky will go next

It does? OpenRA development's largely unrelated to the remasters, though the first one's success makes a C&C "gen 2" treatment almost a given, I'd think. Kins said there's some sort of event this coming week so hopefully we'll see then.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Mordja posted:

It does? OpenRA development's largely unrelated to the remasters, though the first one's success makes a C&C "gen 2" treatment almost a given, I'd think. Kins said there's some sort of event this coming week so hopefully we'll see then.

I think OpenRA presaged interest for the remaster and are independent of it, but they were some of the first consulted within the community and I think the remaster was initially even announced through those channels. If they are working on the isometric gen 2 titles the that spells good news for the momentum of the scene on the whole and the community interest going forward. No way Petroglyph/EA are unware of it.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

I think OpenRA presaged interest for the remaster and are independent of it, but they were some of the first consulted within the community and I think the remaster was initially even announced through those channels. If they are working on the isometric gen 2 titles the that spells good news for the momentum of the scene on the whole and the community interest going forward. No way Petroglyph/EA are unware of it.

Tbh tho I think they've been working on those since before the Remaster was even announced. :v:

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Mordja posted:

Tbh tho I think they've been working on those since before the Remaster was even announced. :v:

Wouldn't surprise me.

Chev
Jul 19, 2010
Switchblade Switcharoo
Yeah, I don't think OpenRA has anything to do with the motivations behind the remaster, it's been around for like 13 years (and they were already working on Tiberian Sun support in 2016). It happened because after the whole Rivals debacle EA tasked someone with figuring out what that whole Command & Conquer thing was, and found they could rely on some actual ex-Westwood at Petroglyph instead of, say, having to ask Bioware to botch an Ultima.

Chev fucked around with this message at 07:13 on Sep 21, 2020

Entorwellian
Jun 30, 2006

Northern Flicker
Anna's Hummingbird

Sorry, but the people have spoken.

I literally had no idea TibSun was even on OpenRA. I feel out of touch.

There is an OpenRA version of Red Alert II as well: https://www.moddb.com/mods/romanovs-vengeance

McGurk
Oct 20, 2004

Cuz life sucks, kids. Get it while you can.

https://twitter.com/Wario64/status/1308094711433801729?s=20

Finally time to get RA3 on steam

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

I had physical disks, I should pick it up again.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

I have C&C3 physical discs... somewhere... but I haven't had a PC with a disk drive since at least 2010, so cheap copies on steam sound great.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

Wasn't there a problem with the Steam version of C&C3? Something about the patch making the campaign impossible, as it was balanced for multiplayer?

Loxbourne
Apr 6, 2011

Tomorrow, doom!
But now, tea.

THE BAR posted:

Wasn't there a problem with the Steam version of C&C3? Something about the patch making the campaign impossible, as it was balanced for multiplayer?

This is in all versions. There's a mission in the GDI campaign where you have to turn turrets on and off around a base perimeter. Later patches change the power requirements of various structures so the mission doesn't work anymore. There was a fanpatch that fixes it, but I don't know if Kane's Wrath fixes it too.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS
The economy changes of the last patch also turn the campaign into an real slog. This mod claims to revert some of the changes to at least make it less of a grind. Haven't tested it myself.

I have vague and unpleasant memories of finding my disc copy with 1.0 and then finding the very specific patch version with the changes I could tolerate, but it's been a very long time.

UED Special Ops
Oct 21, 2008
Grimey Drawer

Oh, well then. Also have C&C and Wrath on disk, but def. gonna pick it up on steam for that price.

Entorwellian
Jun 30, 2006

Northern Flicker
Anna's Hummingbird

C&C 4 is still overpriced. Don't buy it even if its free.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

Entorwellian posted:

C&C 4 is still overpriced. Don't buy it even if its free.

Even the cutscenes are depressing.

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

History shows, again and again, how nature points out the folly of man.

THE BAR posted:

Even the cutscenes are depressing.

Yeah. C&C 3, Kane's Wrath, and Red Alert 3 all did a decent job with their cutscenes and/or got a bunch of fun actors for them. C&C 4....didn't do either of those things.

Arrrthritis
May 31, 2007

I don't care if you're a star, the moon, or the whole damn sky, you need to come back down to earth and remember where you came from

HannibalBarca posted:

Yeah. C&C 3, Kane's Wrath, and Red Alert 3 all did a decent job with their cutscenes and/or got a bunch of fun actors for them. C&C 4....didn't do either of those things.

Isn't it also impossible to validate new games of it anymore?

Like, they shut down the server they used for validating CD keys?

Entorwellian
Jun 30, 2006

Northern Flicker
Anna's Hummingbird

Arrrthritis posted:

Isn't it also impossible to validate new games of it anymore?

Like, they shut down the server they used for validating CD keys?

Yup!

It should really be removed from the storefront.

Entorwellian fucked around with this message at 16:44 on Sep 22, 2020

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Then it's a good thing they definitely released a patch so you don't need to validate the cd key anymore, right? :shepface:

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

The game is being upfront and honest with you that you should just never play it.

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

If only you could see what I've seen with your eyes
No Generals?

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Finally, the OpenRA game everyone's been waiting for has arrived. It's been years in the making, but they've finally done it, gentlemen, they remade Swarm Assault.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.
Huh. Well, I've been introduced to a game I didn't know about, at the very least.

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

Just got this and C&C3 and I loving blown away at how well done it is. The EVA sequence had me going :allears:

Entorwellian
Jun 30, 2006

Northern Flicker
Anna's Hummingbird

Mordja posted:

Finally, the OpenRA game everyone's been waiting for has arrived. It's been years in the making, but they've finally done it, gentlemen, they remade Swarm Assault.

I've never heard of this game before. I went to watch a youtube video of a mission being played and What. The. gently caress.

man in the eyeball hat
Dec 23, 2006

Capture the opening of the portal that connects this earth of 3D to one earth of 4D or 5D. Going to the 5D.

i am fairly certain Swarm Assault was on a Galaxy of Games disk or something when i was a kid

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
I played the demo/shareware version of it back in the day, so I'm actually familiar.

spincube
Jan 31, 2006

I spent :10bux: so I could say that I finally figured out what this god damned cube is doing. Get well Lowtax.
Grimey Drawer
I wish the in-game audio controls were a little more intuitive. Changing tracks in the pause -> Jukebox menu doesn't change the track when you resume the game, you have to go to the pause -> Options -> Audio menu instead. I know you can whip up a custom playlist, but sometimes I've heard enough of IN THE NAME OF KANE! KANE LIVES IN DEATH!.

Still had a big dumb grin on my face playing GDI 1 again though :)

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

How do I beat GDI mission 9? On casual mode that is. I know I'm a chump. It looks like I can just rush the northern part and blow up the two power plants to stop the obelisk?

Zeether fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Oct 7, 2020

Nostalgamus
Sep 28, 2010

You're not supposed to stop the obelisk, the gunboats are supposed to die to demonstrate what the obelisk does.

The actual mission objective is a straightforward "destroy everything".

YoursTruly
Jul 29, 2012

Put me in the trash
Recycle Bin
where
I belong.
It was really disappointing the first time I sniped the obelisk with a rush and just watched the gunboats sail impotently back and forth shooting at nothing until a rebuilt obelisk could take them out. It would have been a lot of fun if the gunboats could hit the con yard, power plants, or any of the other production buildings.

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

I rushed the base and took out their con yard and airstrip before wasting the obelisk. Most of my tanks survived too because casual mode.

By the point mammoth tanks show up I'm probably gonna be rolling over everything.

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

"Hello alien thoughtbeasts! We murder children!"
~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~
you can control when the gunboats spawn and depending on the difficulty they can be used to trash the enemy base.

if you destroy the turrets on the south river bank you get a chinook you can use to engy rush the base, focus on the power plants and the base will fall swiftly

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

Finally got my shipment notification for my Special Edition. Can't wait :dance:

Also still holding out hope they do something like this for RA2/TS.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

I may have to redirect my boxed copy to my mom's house since I'll be moving across the country in November

Didn't count on that being an issue when I ordered this thing at the beginning of the year!

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Orion, this is Sperglord Actual.
Come on home.

Handsome Ralph posted:

Finally got my shipment notification for my Special Edition. Can't wait :dance:

Also still holding out hope they do something like this for RA2/TS.

I think it’s all but guaranteed, this did better than EA expected last I had saw.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Upgrading voxels might genuinely be easier than all the sprite work Lemon Sky had to do, and from the fan examples I've seen the machine learning video up-rez process works way better with the RA2 source material.

For me all I'd need is a renderer that handles borderless windowed mode reliably and a UI that scales to fit my 1440p without getting all tiny.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chev
Jul 19, 2010
Switchblade Switcharoo
The unit voxel files just don't contain enough information for a good looking upscale, especially for the less blocky RA2 stuff, they'll most certainly just use bona fide 3d models (likely still by Lemon Sky). The touch up work you'd need would be just the same as making them from scratch, as many a would-be RA2-in-Renegade modder has discovered. Plus there's nothing justifying the development of GPU-compatible voxel rendering for the vehicles when they could just get better performance from 3d models in this era, even super high detail ones. All they'll need is a bit of shader work to make the unit lighting look like it did back then and it'll look great.

Chev fucked around with this message at 00:59 on Oct 14, 2020