Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

I would assume they heal when the Fellowship Recovers at the very minimum, so long as the fiction justifies it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

I like sharing and ice cream and animals.
Any ideas for hacking Fellowship's Finish Them to have no killing? One of my kids doesn't want killing, so what would it mean in that case to finish them with Blood?

MelvinBison
Nov 17, 2012

"Is this the ideal world that you envisioned?"
"I guess you could say that."

Pillbug
I believe finishing with Courage lets you knock them unconscious so you could let Blood do that too if that stat is higher.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Yeah I feel like just saying "you disable them with force" should work.

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

At least I don't dance with them, right?
Maybe something like "if you Finish Them by hitting them where it really hurts"? It fits the same format as all the other 2e Finish Them results, and it has the same "you can always use this, but if you always use it everyone will probably think you're vicious and unlikable" vibe as killing them does.

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

Lurks With Wolves posted:

Maybe something like "if you Finish Them by hitting them where it really hurts"? It fits the same format as all the other 2e Finish Them results, and it has the same "you can always use this, but if you always use it everyone will probably think you're vicious and unlikable" vibe as killing them does.

I like this. If you Finish Them with Blood, you don't kill them and maybe don't even maim them or anything, but you had an opportunity to be merciful and everyone saw you decide against it. You went above and beyond what was necessary to defeat them, and if you keep it up, it might earn you a reputation as, well, mean or cruel.

Agent Rush
Aug 30, 2008

You looked, Junker!
I kind of bumped into an unpleasant edge in my Fellowship game. Due to attrition we've ended up in a situation where all of the players have the same strengths and weaknesses, so the problems I come up with are either steamrolled easily or turn into slogs with little in-between. It's especially bad because I'm using the Organization and I'm not sure what to do to fix it. I was considering using more conditional counters to the fellowship rather than hard ones, but I don't know what would make for a good condition as a trigger.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Jimbozig posted:

Any ideas for hacking Fellowship's Finish Them to have no killing? One of my kids doesn't want killing, so what would it mean in that case to finish them with Blood?

Finish Them is pretty versatile and I don't think anybody would mind if Finish Them +Blood were given a non-lethal option. But there's tons of ways to "Finish Them" nonlethally, and +Wisdom's stated example is explicitly just befriending them instead of defeating them.

Fellowship 2e does have, for the various stats, these options:

-Kill with +Blood. Possibly re-flavor that as maim or other violent but not quite lethal option, but note that Blood is the stat of anger, passion, and violence.

-Force them to retreat with +Courage. This is easily justified as defeating them non-lethally in a straight-up fight or brawl.

-Outsmarting, terrifying, or overwhelming them with +Grace. This one is pretty broad too but again, this could be used to represent defeating someone in a straight fight. Maybe with more finesse, speed, or a display of overwhelming skill, showing them how much better a fighter you are and proving it in combat.

-Disabling them or knocking them out with +Sense. In combat this could also mean lots of things, and this can also be justified out of combat too. Maybe using your expertise to hit their joints or pressure points, or just smacking them upside the head real hard.

-Showing them the error of their ways or otherwise befriending them with +Wisdom. This actually does let you Forge a Bond with the target, and they can become a Companion if they're not, like, a General or the Overlord.

2e explicitly avoids describing Finish Them as being lethal or destructive by default, it changes the text so that only the +Blood option assumes lethal violence as a baseline.

Agent Rush posted:

I kind of bumped into an unpleasant edge in my Fellowship game. Due to attrition we've ended up in a situation where all of the players have the same strengths and weaknesses, so the problems I come up with are either steamrolled easily or turn into slogs with little in-between. It's especially bad because I'm using the Organization and I'm not sure what to do to fix it. I was considering using more conditional counters to the fellowship rather than hard ones, but I don't know what would make for a good condition as a trigger.

Well, I don't know what power level your players are at but you could try introducing more of the "weird" set pieces from other books. A lot of them can't really be defeated in the traditional sense, but can help to keep things interesting while letting players come up with solutions on the narrative level rather than relying too much on the mechanics of their characters.

Book 2 has the Wacky Races set piece, and it's even an Organization type if you really wanted to give people a Petals to the Metal experience. From the same book, the colossal World Eater is absolutely a Set Piece that cannot be trivialized no matter what players are capable of and the difficulty is ultimately in surviving and escaping it. Sometimes from the inside, if the city they're in happens to get swallowed whole.

Book 3 has To Impress A Dragon, which is specifically about trying to earn the assistance of a very powerful magical being who generally agrees with the fellowship but doesn't think they're up to the task. The Exclusive Celebration is fun, that's about sneaking into the viper's nest to go after a major enemy. And the Unkillable Lich is more of a puzzle boss than a straight fight, and you can be as tricky about its phylactery (or horcrux or whatever weakness) as you want to be.

What are the areas of expertise your player characters have? This might help give them a fair and not-sloggish challenge while still forcing them out of their characters' comfort zones.

Also, is one of the players interested in A New Beginning to change things up if the party isn't as flexible as it used to be? This is a situation where I'd genuinely consider reworking my own character if I were a player in this situation.

Runa fucked around with this message at 00:18 on Aug 2, 2020

Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

I like sharing and ice cream and animals.

Lurks With Wolves posted:

Thanks for the ideas everyone. I really like this one, and I think my kids will, too. I like that it's still its own thing rather than doubling up with other stats.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Oh I decided to get back into art and for practice I drew the other players in the Fellowship game I'm in

Chastel de L'Archelon-Valois the Heir, princess of a magically-charged kingdom on the back of a spacefaring turtle. She brought a hovertank (mechanically a Halfling War Wagon) and in her Gear she brought jetbikes for everybody (instead of horses).

Brother Dullahan the Remnant, the last known surviving sapience of the Order of St. Gwynnoch. He's the spirit of a dead intern haunting a suit of armor.

Magnus the Beast, resident magical scholar and party animal. The bullfolk generally have an idiosyncratically straight-forward and down-to-earth naming sense with the notable exception of his father, who gave him the impressive-sounding name of Magnus. Presumably he would've been named Bill or Craig otherwise.

Rashid the Dwarf, veteran marksman of many campaigns and war leader of his people. He brought two of his sons as Companions, Khalid the defender and Saleh the gunner. Khalid is the cool one. They all have aussie accents.

And the Overlord is

Yora Damrung the Portent, leader of a group of reborn heroes from history and legend who all came back wrong. They're The Organization.

Runa fucked around with this message at 09:45 on Aug 2, 2020

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

Loving the magitech vibe I'm getting, and your art is very nice. Do you take commissions, by chance? Can I find your stuff somewhere?

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

paradoxGentleman posted:

Loving the magitech vibe I'm getting, and your art is very nice. Do you take commissions, by chance? Can I find your stuff somewhere?

Thanks!

I'm not currently taking commissions at the moment, maybe when I feel more comfortable with where my skills are at on a technical level. The timetable for which might be accelerated if this quarantine business keeps on into 2021.

I do have a long-neglected deviantart however

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

Do whatever makes you comfortable, but if I may say so, people whose artistic chops are very much not as good as yours offer commissions. You have nothing to be ashamed or bashful about.

Agent Rush
Aug 30, 2008

You looked, Junker!

Xarbala posted:

Finish Them is pretty versatile and I don't think anybody would mind if Finish Them +Blood were given a non-lethal option. But there's tons of ways to "Finish Them" nonlethally, and +Wisdom's stated example is explicitly just befriending them instead of defeating them.

Fellowship 2e does have, for the various stats, these options:

-Kill with +Blood. Possibly re-flavor that as maim or other violent but not quite lethal option, but note that Blood is the stat of anger, passion, and violence.

-Force them to retreat with +Courage. This is easily justified as defeating them non-lethally in a straight-up fight or brawl.

-Outsmarting, terrifying, or overwhelming them with +Grace. This one is pretty broad too but again, this could be used to represent defeating someone in a straight fight. Maybe with more finesse, speed, or a display of overwhelming skill, showing them how much better a fighter you are and proving it in combat.

-Disabling them or knocking them out with +Sense. In combat this could also mean lots of things, and this can also be justified out of combat too. Maybe using your expertise to hit their joints or pressure points, or just smacking them upside the head real hard.

-Showing them the error of their ways or otherwise befriending them with +Wisdom. This actually does let you Forge a Bond with the target, and they can become a Companion if they're not, like, a General or the Overlord.

2e explicitly avoids describing Finish Them as being lethal or destructive by default, it changes the text so that only the +Blood option assumes lethal violence as a baseline.

Well, I don't know what power level your players are at but you could try introducing more of the "weird" set pieces from other books. A lot of them can't really be defeated in the traditional sense, but can help to keep things interesting while letting players come up with solutions on the narrative level rather than relying too much on the mechanics of their characters.

Book 2 has the Wacky Races set piece, and it's even an Organization type if you really wanted to give people a Petals to the Metal experience. From the same book, the colossal World Eater is absolutely a Set Piece that cannot be trivialized no matter what players are capable of and the difficulty is ultimately in surviving and escaping it. Sometimes from the inside, if the city they're in happens to get swallowed whole.

Book 3 has To Impress A Dragon, which is specifically about trying to earn the assistance of a very powerful magical being who generally agrees with the fellowship but doesn't think they're up to the task. The Exclusive Celebration is fun, that's about sneaking into the viper's nest to go after a major enemy. And the Unkillable Lich is more of a puzzle boss than a straight fight, and you can be as tricky about its phylactery (or horcrux or whatever weakness) as you want to be.

What are the areas of expertise your player characters have? This might help give them a fair and not-sloggish challenge while still forcing them out of their characters' comfort zones.

Also, is one of the players interested in A New Beginning to change things up if the party isn't as flexible as it used to be? This is a situation where I'd genuinely consider reworking my own character if I were a player in this situation.

Everyone just hit Level 4, so they're close to Destiny level if they'd wanted to take one. We have a Dwarf, a Tinker, and a Dragon, the good stats tend to be Blood and Iron. Hmm, Wacky Races and To Impress A Dragon might work, though as it stands I think The Exclusive Celebration would be another slog of "none of us can really do anything useful here". We had discussed what isn't working for everyone last session and reworking characters was floated as an idea, though I would like to have some things done on my end in case no one decides to make that choice.

It might just be an issue of pacing, where the story is moving faster than I thought it was even though we've only had three sessions.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Agent Rush posted:

Everyone just hit Level 4, so they're close to Destiny level if they'd wanted to take one. We have a Dwarf, a Tinker, and a Dragon, the good stats tend to be Blood and Iron. Hmm, Wacky Races and To Impress A Dragon might work, though as it stands I think The Exclusive Celebration would be another slog of "none of us can really do anything useful here". We had discussed what isn't working for everyone last session and reworking characters was floated as an idea, though I would like to have some things done on my end in case no one decides to make that choice.

It might just be an issue of pacing, where the story is moving faster than I thought it was even though we've only had three sessions.

Ah, Dwarf, Tinker, and Dragon. Yup, Blood and Iron sounds about right. And from the sounds of it, I take it Wisdom isn't a strong suit as social interaction seems to be a weakness. If they're also severely lacking Grace or Sense that could be trouble. Iron can fill in for Courage in a number of situations but not resisting an Offer You Can't Refuse, meaning if you do have them run into the Overlord maybe you might not want to go too hard, at least to begin with.

If you want to lean into their strengths while still giving them a challenge, you could consider scaling up the level of combat threats they might have to deal with. If they tend to beat every one of the mooks they come across, maybe whoever they're facing (if it's the Overlord or Empire) is starting to consider them more of a potent threat. Instead of singular foes, send Groups. And occasionally Gangs. When poo poo gets real, start sending Armies. Difficult for lone heroes get an Advantage over in a straight fight (unless someone dipped into God of War from Ogre) but not impossible. Still manageable for a trio of 'ardenuff Heroes, but will require them to leverage more of their creativity with terrain, companions, or their own arsenal. And not just their Gear options, maybe they need to pick up non-Gear explosives, or traps, or Weird poo poo from stores or labs. Maybe they need something from a mad genius who might consider the Tinker a potential rival. Will they try to work things out? Or will they say gently caress it, go loud, and rush headlong into taking what they need--if they think they can handle the Home Alonesian gauntlet of embarrassing nonsense the mad genius calls his "completely reasonable security system." (That last one is actually adapted from an Empire location stat but it's just such a funny mental image you could probably whip up some substats and spin it into a Set Piece in its own right.)

The Haunted House could work, depending on how willing they are to take risks with Looking Closely to find their objective. The very last phase of this set piece relies heavily on Get Away and Overcome, so depending on how things go things could get rough, but you can easily just provide enough tension and Cuts that are just hard enough to keep them on their toes without out and out killing them.

If you're running an Overlord framework, maybe they just need to run into the Overlord a little more often, as an Overlord's stats can do a lot to simply tell players "no" if they try to take them on without first weakening them. But remember the Overlord's principles, even if they get beaten the Overlord will rarely, if ever, lower themselves to actually finish them off. And the Overlord must always keep their word when given, and that's something interesting any party comp can work with.

One thing that might give them something social to be good at might be... the Angry Mob! They're a kind of threat that cannot be reasoned with and if they're hurt by the Fellowship, they will never give them the Fellowship of their Community (or even rescind it, if they already granted a Fellowship Move). But their anger can be directed with a +Blood roll. A failure means they turn on the players, making for a dicey situation to try to extricate themselves from, while a partial success means their anger can be pointed in a different direction, but maybe not the one you'd like. And a complete success doesn't calm them down, but gives the players a chance to try to ride the tiger and have a gang of angry townsfolk at their back. Obviously this should be used in conjunction with another Threat or two, who are the real problem in the situation.

Another fun idea might be... a Sports Tournament! Which, like Wacky Races, is also an Organization-themed set piece. Interesting how so much of the fun stuff gets shunted to that army type. This one also lets the players get creative in the set-up phase of the Set Piece and lets them flex some more improv muscles that a straight confrontation might leave neglected.

tl;dr: a lot of times it should be okay to lean into threats that mostly challenge their strengths, but put spins onto them that make dealing with them with a straightforward fight more complicated. Or even put pressure on them by presenting them with something they cannot immediately defeat in combat, but against which their toolset will still allow them to survive and escape.

Zomborgon
Feb 19, 2014

I don't even want to see what happens if you gain CHIM outside of a pre-coded system.

Agent Rush posted:

First of all, I'm glad that you're already talking about these matters with your group. Keep it up!

A pretty central idea of the PBTA game framework is that each of the basic moves define a part of the core experience. If nobody can cover one of those bases, I can see why come cracks would start to show. Even just making sure that the group has someone covering each stat (with at least a 1, I'd say) would help to have them cover those basics. If you've got nobody with any Sense better than 0, you're going to run into a lot of issues with seeking information. That sort of thing.

For your part, and considering this three-person group, it may be worth giving people an extra free stat point (maybe only allowing a bump up for any current 0 or 1) to let them cover more ground. That way, they don't have to sacrifice too much of their concept while still being capable of the things the game centers around. As for just rebuilding, there's never anything wrong with people mixing some stats around when it would help with play. Unforeseen overlaps happen, and are worth dealing with swiftly when issues arise from them.

The destiny playbooks are also a good in-fiction point for people to branch out, so you've got a good opportunity for people to gain some more varied capabilities that way, too.

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant
Do we have a sense of when Skull Diggers is coming to itch?

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009
Hates Native American people and tries to justify their genocides.

Put this racist on ignore immediately!
The Dwarf in fellowship has the possible option

quote:

Firebeard
Your people lead a war-like life, with a long history of bloodshed and tragedy. Your armor has seen many battles, and it has seen you through all of them. When you attempt to defeat an enemy in glorious combat, you may damage your Blood to try to Finish Them with +Blood or +Sense.
Everyone can choose to Finish Them with +Blood or +Sense without damaging their Blood. What is the benefit to taking this ability? Is it that you can Finish Them without having Advantage?

A lot of characters have the option of a vehicle as a companion, but in a lot of cases they are of very limited use if the group is using The Ship playbook. Is it best practice to nudge players towards companions that can man the ship vs having a curious halfing war wagon?

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Or you just rig a crane and someplace to tie the vehicle down. Traveller is the original PC-with-a-ship game and they solved this back in the late 70s by making sure all the PC option ships had a planetary vehicle of some sort, usually an air/raft.

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??

Gobbeldygook posted:

The Dwarf in fellowship has the possible option

Everyone can choose to Finish Them with +Blood or +Sense without damaging their Blood. What is the benefit to taking this ability? Is it that you can Finish Them without having Advantage?

A lot of characters have the option of a vehicle as a companion, but in a lot of cases they are of very limited use if the group is using The Ship playbook. Is it best practice to nudge players towards companions that can man the ship vs having a curious halfing war wagon?

Yeah the Firebeard doesn't need an Advantage to roll Finish Them, as long as their Blood is undamaged.

CitizenKeen posted:

Do we have a sense of when Skull Diggers is coming to itch?

I have had trouble focusing on tabletop stuff recently so I picked up a side hobby of pokemon rom hacking. This is my first priority once I get back to it but that might be another week or two from now, and then once I do it'll be a couple weeks' work on the current draft. So, optimistically, a month from now? Pessimistically, 2 months.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

gnome7 posted:

I have had trouble focusing on tabletop stuff recently so I picked up a side hobby of pokemon rom hacking. This is my first priority once I get back to it but that might be another week or two from now, and then once I do it'll be a couple weeks' work on the current draft. So, optimistically, a month from now? Pessimistically, 2 months.

I only got into your stuff recently but I'm definitely picking up a copy when it's ready and available to the public.

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant

gnome7 posted:

So, optimistically, a month from now? Pessimistically, 2 months.

That timeline is great for me!

Agent Rush
Aug 30, 2008

You looked, Junker!
Thanks for the earlier suggestions. Things seem to be going much better now, so I'm glad we were able to smooth it out!

I did have a question about the Ascended Destiny requirement. I'd thought the "taking a Source of Power for yourself" meant specifically using it to power yourself up rather than weakening the Overlord. Is that a fair assessment, or is just getting one enough to qualify?

Skeletome
Feb 4, 2011

Tell them about the tournament!

Does Book 3 have any set pieces about fighting with armies?

Our final 'arc' begins with an army of each of the communities they've met facing off against the Overlord, buying them time to break through to his fortress. Wondering how to progress...

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??

Agent Rush posted:

Thanks for the earlier suggestions. Things seem to be going much better now, so I'm glad we were able to smooth it out!

I did have a question about the Ascended Destiny requirement. I'd thought the "taking a Source of Power for yourself" meant specifically using it to power yourself up rather than weakening the Overlord. Is that a fair assessment, or is just getting one enough to qualify?

Your assessment is right, you need to take it instead of using it to weaken the Overlord. However, if the Source is one they were drawing power from already, then you can do both.

Skeletome posted:

Does Book 3 have any set pieces about fighting with armies?

Our final 'arc' begins with an army of each of the communities they've met facing off against the Overlord, buying them time to break through to his fortress. Wondering how to progress...

Book 3 actually has exactly that set piece, where you use an army as a big distraction so your fellowship can slip through and get to some important objective. For example, trying to assassinate the Overlord.

Skeletome
Feb 4, 2011

Tell them about the tournament!

Gnome, you rule!

I will be incredibly sad when my game is over, its been delightful.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

I did a thing. Maybe it can be useful to people. It's the playbooks ordered by their +2 stat, and whether or not they are Powerful.

Blood: the Orc, the Beast, the Dragon, the Devil (Powerful)
Courage: the Halfling, the Construct, the Ogre, the Shattered
Grace: the Elf, the Angel (Powerful), the Pair (Powerful), the Spy
Sense: the Squire, the Collector, the Spider, the Outlander
Wisdom: the Heir, the Lantern, the Exile, the Mascot (Powerful)
Iron: the Dwarf, the Tinker, the Nemesis
Doom: the Harbinger
Any: the Rain, the Remnant

There's some interesting patterns here. The Sense playbooks are all people who have some "outsider" or "different" vibe, which perhaps gives them the right perspective to look things over carefully.
Also, Grace has the most Powerful playbooks, and Sense has none! I wonder what a Sense-based Powerful playbook would look like...

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

If a Dwarf takes the following gear option:
Access to a rare or strange material of your choosing. You wear heavy
armor (1 Use, Armor) and carry a shield (2 Uses, Armor, Clumsy) made of
the stuff.

Does he always have the clumsy tag, or only when he's got his shield out?

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??

paradoxGentleman posted:

I did a thing. Maybe it can be useful to people. It's the playbooks ordered by their +2 stat, and whether or not they are Powerful.
Also, Grace has the most Powerful playbooks, and Sense has none! I wonder what a Sense-based Powerful playbook would look like...

Courage also has no Powerful playbooks. The Ogre is the basic version of the 1e Giant, but the Giant was not a Courage playbook. I didn't write powerful playbooks with any plan for which one was what stat, hence the imbalance. Grace gets the most, I think, because its the stat that is most about being cool and stylish and a show off, which naturally lends to Powerful type playbooks. Meanwhile, Courage is a stat about being the underdog rising up to great challenges, so it just didn't end up with one. But Sense could probably have one, especially with the 2e change to have it let you disable foes when you Finish Them. Some kind of monster catcher playbook, perhaps, that turns enemies into pets they command? Similar to the Collector but going all on in actually controlling enemies instead of just having dinosaurs in your pockets.

paradoxGentleman posted:

If a Dwarf takes the following gear option:
Access to a rare or strange material of your choosing. You wear heavy
armor (1 Use, Armor) and carry a shield (2 Uses, Armor, Clumsy) made of
the stuff.

Does he always have the clumsy tag, or only when he's got his shield out?

Only when they've got the shield out.

Heliotrope
Aug 17, 2007

You're fucking subhuman
I had a moment last session where the Overlord and I weren't sure the rules worked, they made a decision and we decided to check out how it works afterwords.

My Orc was using Death Before Dishonor with a Piercing weapon on a giant Psychotoad. I rolled a 14, but the Psychotoad had Tough As Nails. Normally with a Piercing weapon I'd choose what stat gets damaged, but Tough As Nails says damage goes to that stat first. We went with damaging Tough as Nail and dealing with what happened next.

But how would it work with the rules? Would Piercing let me choose which stat gets damaged, so I could damage something else if I wanted? Or does Death before Dishonor just let me break a weapon to instantly damage someone without having to set up Advantages if they have a Trait like Tough as Nails?

Heliotrope
Aug 17, 2007

You're fucking subhuman
In another Fellowship game, we're running into a problem with the Guided Establishment rules. My character is a Squire of the Beastperson - so we weren't sure what to do for "3 things about your people." We went with having me creating three NPCs my Squire ran into. But now we're deciding on rumors or superstitions about the other races and again my character is a Squire. How should it work when it's someone's turn to come up with something for me?

Colette
Jan 1, 2013
Excuse me; I have two questions about how certain game mechanics function.

1. How does the Elf's Enchanting Performance actually work? It seems like an easy way to generate an unreasonable number of Bonds with a large collection of NPCs. A large number of NPCs could be simplified into a Group, a Gang, or an Army, but even that is quite powerful, to say nothing of impressing more important NPCs with Enchanting Performance.

2. Can the Dragon's A Champion, Chosen be used to select the Exile's Who You Were, effectively gaining an extra Custom Move out of the deal?

Thank you for your time.

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??

Colette posted:

Excuse me; I have two questions about how certain game mechanics function.

1. How does the Elf's Enchanting Performance actually work? It seems like an easy way to generate an unreasonable number of Bonds with a large collection of NPCs. A large number of NPCs could be simplified into a Group, a Gang, or an Army, but even that is quite powerful, to say nothing of impressing more important NPCs with Enchanting Performance.

2. Can the Dragon's A Champion, Chosen be used to select the Exile's Who You Were, effectively gaining an extra Custom Move out of the deal?

Thank you for your time.

1: The main limitation on Enchanting Performance is that it only works on an attentive audience, so if you don't want someone really important to be easily charmed, just say they were not impressed or not giving you their attention. The move is intended to let the elf quickly gather a group or gang of companions, that is its big benefit.

2: Yeah that's fine. Is it strictly better than choosing anything else? Yeah. Does that really matter much? Not really. You are spending your people's move for this and you only ever get one of those.

Heliotrope posted:

In another Fellowship game, we're running into a problem with the Guided Establishment rules. My character is a Squire of the Beastperson - so we weren't sure what to do for "3 things about your people." We went with having me creating three NPCs my Squire ran into. But now we're deciding on rumors or superstitions about the other races and again my character is a Squire. How should it work when it's someone's turn to come up with something for me?

Your solution works out pretty well. But generally, when playing with a playbook without a people (Mascot, Squire, Collector), they either talk about something else (like the friends you made or your collection) or you skip 'em. Skipping the superstitions on the squire is perfectly valid, because no one has heard about them.

Heliotrope posted:

I had a moment last session where the Overlord and I weren't sure the rules worked, they made a decision and we decided to check out how it works afterwords.

My Orc was using Death Before Dishonor with a Piercing weapon on a giant Psychotoad. I rolled a 14, but the Psychotoad had Tough As Nails. Normally with a Piercing weapon I'd choose what stat gets damaged, but Tough As Nails says damage goes to that stat first. We went with damaging Tough as Nail and dealing with what happened next.

But how would it work with the rules? Would Piercing let me choose which stat gets damaged, so I could damage something else if I wanted? Or does Death before Dishonor just let me break a weapon to instantly damage someone without having to set up Advantages if they have a Trait like Tough as Nails?

Tough as Nails exists to eat up a first hit - aka, its armor. Piercing always lets the attacker choose the stat they harm, even through armor. I should probably have included that in the Piercing description but there you go, that is how I would rule it.

There are a couple enemies that are immune to the Piercing tag, and only in that case do you not choose which stat you harm when using a Piercing weapon. Also, Set Pieces are generally immune by virtue of their stats being so encompassing - if you are trying to damage a set piece like the Spider Tank, you pretty much have to pick the part you're trying to damage before you roll anyway.

Heliotrope
Aug 17, 2007

You're fucking subhuman

gnome7 posted:

Tough as Nails exists to eat up a first hit - aka, its armor. Piercing always lets the attacker choose the stat they harm, even through armor. I should probably have included that in the Piercing description but there you go, that is how I would rule it.

There are a couple enemies that are immune to the Piercing tag, and only in that case do you not choose which stat you harm when using a Piercing weapon. Also, Set Pieces are generally immune by virtue of their stats being so encompassing - if you are trying to damage a set piece like the Spider Tank, you pretty much have to pick the part you're trying to damage before you roll anyway.

Ah, okay. Thank you for explaining. How would a 10+ on Finish Them with a Piercing weapon work with Tough as Nails? You deal damage to both a stat of your choice and Tough as Nails (since TaN kicks in if the enemy would be damaged or destroyed), or would you ignore Tough as Nails and outright kill them?

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??
The former. TaN, when undamaged, prevents them from dying. So a 10+ finish them would simply damage TaN instead.

You won't deal extra damage from having a Piercing weapon, though - the usual 10+ result doesn't have you deal damage at all, simply defeat them. TaN replaces that defeat with losing TaN.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

For the Empire, do Leader Moves actually add an additional stat to the Leader and anyone under their direct command, or does it just apply the effect of the Leader Move without adding a stat for it? There are parts that read one way and parts that read the other.

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??
It applies the effects without adding a stat.

Tenik
Jun 23, 2010

Hey Gnome. I got the chance to play Fellowship for the first time this weekend, and while I really liked it, I have a couple questions.

As the Overlord, I'm not quite sure how to deal damage in situations that does not involve some sort of physical risk. It's easy to rationalize that someone's Sense is damaged from being enveloped by smoke, but it's more difficult to come up with reasons to deal damage when the Fellowship is in the middle of a long conversation, or if they should have to take damage during a scene that encourages them to apply their Useful tools. Is it alright to not deal damage if a scene is focused more on spending resources?

One of the options for The Halfling's Sting Like A Bee is "You get them to chase you around, and you both leave the scene." Our Halfling player wanted to use this to distract some guards, which feels like the right use of the skill. Later on, they also wanted to use this to distract the Overlord when he was pursuing the Fellowship, forcing the Overlord to leave the scene, which feels like its not quite the way this skill is intended to be used. Would this would be an appropriate time to say that a Threat to the World wouldn't be distracted some silly halfling's games? It felt right in the moment, since the Overlord is more focused on achieving their goals than hurting a member of the Fellowship, but it also felt like I was shutting that player down by not allowing that move to work.

One of our players wanted to use Look Closely to create an advantage to setup another player's Finish Them, but we couldn't decide on what question would be best for that. What would be the best way to make this work? Let the first player spot an opening through one of their questions, then shout it out to guide the second player? Should this type of mechanics focused decision making be discouraged, because it distracts people from roleplaying what their character would do?

Edit: I should add that this was the first time anyone in the group had played a game that was not 5e D&D, so sorry if these are general Apocalypse Engine questions.

Tenik fucked around with this message at 16:20 on Sep 21, 2020

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.
I had a question about the interaction in mechanics between two Fellowship 2e playbook moves:

From the Harbinger:

quote:

Angel's Touch
You can heal the wounds of an ally with a touch, although it takes a lot out of you.
You gain the tags (Healing, 1 Use).
When you heal someone, you may damage yourself to heal them again.
When you Fill Your Belly, restore this Use.

and

From the Exile:

quote:

Love and Peace
When you heal someone else, you may also heal.

If you had both of those moves would this mean you could heal one person twice and yourself twice, or can you keep damaging a stat and healing it to heal all the damaged stats on one person, plus an extra initial heal for yourself?

Nuns with Guns fucked around with this message at 17:31 on Sep 22, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

I just want to say, good on you from jumping from 5e to Fellowship.