Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Neo_Crimson posted:

I'm just going to link Cynical Historian's 2-parter on Wilson.

tl;dw: Wilson popularized Southern Lost Cause mythology, along with the second KKK. Basically created American Imperialism as we know it today, arguably set up the conditions that would lead to WWII, and not mentioned in the videos: suppressed the Women's Sufferage movement.

I thought McKinley and Teddy Roosevelt had started American Imperialism.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lonelylikezoidberg
Dec 19, 2007
Is it acceptable to discuss Worst Year Ever here? I listened to the recent episode on Qanon and the guest was supposedly an expert on aum shinrikyo. She was supposed to connect it to Qanon but overall the guest felt like a real dud, for some reason she seemed uninterested in discussing her work.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Man, I want a BtB ep on Aum Shinrikyo so bad.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

lonelylikezoidberg posted:

Is it acceptable to discuss Worst Year Ever here? I listened to the recent episode on Qanon and the guest was supposedly an expert on aum shinrikyo. She was supposed to connect it to Qanon but overall the guest felt like a real dud, for some reason she seemed uninterested in discussing her work.

Yeah I listened to the whole thing but she seemed either ill-prepared or simply like she wasn’t very comfortable discussing her material out loud. It’s also kind of weird to have a guest on to discuss such a hugely influential movement and have the take away essentially be “I have absolutely no idea what to do about this but we should all pay more attention!”.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
Holy poo poo I’d love an Aum Shinrikyo/Aleph. Holy moly what a loving bonkers rear end situation all around

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

Bust Rodd posted:

Yeah I listened to the whole thing but she seemed either ill-prepared or simply like she wasn’t very comfortable discussing her material out loud. It’s also kind of weird to have a guest on to discuss such a hugely influential movement and have the take away essentially be “I have absolutely no idea what to do about this but we should all pay more attention!”.

I was looking forward to the episode as I'd seen her on twitter and she seemed pretty knowledgeable, but yeah she was having a tough time articulating anything specific.

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

Bust Rodd posted:

i think the wye crew see the aum cult as an examples of the extremes the q cult could get to, and presumed the aum expert had some
insight into the parallels since she had also been talking about q. it didn't seem like she had done a lot of comparing the two on her own and that audio just might not be her medium. i think it would have gone better if someone with wye had talked with her more beforehand. just my feeling from listening to it, and i don't think it was too bad, just a little awkward. i'm sure i'd be a far worse guest on a podcast even with preparation.

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Fun Shoe
I consider myself a decent writer, and I'd have problems answering stuff on the fly, too. It's a lot easier to write down your answers to a question, especially if you have to look up a quote for the exact wording, or if you have to make sure you remembered the facts correctly. I'd guess that being a good interviewee is something of a skill people develop over time, as well.

If it were me, I'd prepare some likely questions that I'd get and write down the answers ahead of time, or at least the bullet points I'd need to go over for each likely question. Even then, I think I'd be a nervous wreck, even on a podcast, much less a live interview.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

She kind of seemed offended to be asked questions about it, like everyone should already know the answer. I didn't think it was a good interview either.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

yeah, to me it sounded like she stared into the abyss for too long and she didnt know how to talk about the subject in broad strokes, if i didnt know poo poo about qanon before i wouldnt know anything new from this. also she kinda sounded like the steriotypical conspicacy nerd whos mind gets cooked from staring into the darkness all day. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pKlaFyQDhWw&t all i could think of was johnny from the darkness 2. sorry.

Grand Fromage posted:

She kind of seemed offended to be asked questions about it, like everyone should already know the answer. I didn't think it was a good interview either.

yeah. like the crew was trying to get her to just talk about poo poo and possible futures. but she just kinda meandered and got super esoteric and sounded like they are gonna start fully taking over and poo poo. i think she needs a break. qanon is scary and a threat but jesus.

Mr. Fix It posted:

i think the wye crew see the aum cult as an examples of the extremes the q cult could get to, and presumed the aum expert had some
insight into the parallels since she had also been talking about q. it didn't seem like she had done a lot of comparing the two on her own and that audio just might not be her medium. i think it would have gone better if someone with wye had talked with her more beforehand. just my feeling from listening to it, and i don't think it was too bad, just a little awkward. i'm sure i'd be a far worse guest on a podcast even with preparation.

sorta. Q is way more of a platform for angry chuds like the tea party but with way way more weird lore so boomers can feel like they are MAGA Ezio Auditore fighting against the evil jewish pedo marxists because they need to believe trump isnt a big dumb gently caress up. Aum was basically more Cobera command but with New age bullshit attached. Last podcast on the left did a great multipart on them. i mean she has her points but she gets too wrapped up in the fluff rather than how originized poo poo is. idk

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
https://twitter.com/iwriteok/status/1303187721750417408?s=21

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

AFewBricksShy posted:

Hearing the Phyllis Schafly episode, it makes me wonder: if you took one person out of the timeline "Looper" style, who would it be to fix the poo poo show we are in right now?

Thomas Midgley would probably be on the list for the environmental devastation (and the lead poisoning boomer brains). Schafly's got to be on the list for politics.

I thought about this question a lot the other night and despite my temptation to say Ronald Reagan or Sirhan Sirhan (a living RFK probably would have embarrassed Nixon a second time and gave less of a platform to his sort of conservatism that paved the way for Reagan), I think the real best answer would probably be Andrew Johnson, who hosed up the post-Civil War era by completely bowing to the south and making the government lose credibility by being hilariously corrupt. I also thought about John Wilkes Booth but that was a whole plan with a committee trying to kill Lincoln, someone probably would have got him sooner or later.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Okay, now someone HAS to make them eat some eggs as penance.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

smashmouth slaughter the country

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition
"A bunch of people wanted to see Smashmouth more than they wanted to live and/or let the people around them live" is yet another fine chapter in the roiling boil of rejected Spy magazine pitches circa 1984 that is YOOL 2020.

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007
Keen on the hygiene and on the mission like a super technician.
For anyone who hasn't seen this yet:

https://twitter.com/IwriteOK/status/1304573776386957312

Hope you feel better soon Robert :(

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Fun Shoe

Shinji2015 posted:

For anyone who hasn't seen this yet:

https://twitter.com/IwriteOK/status/1304573776386957312

Hope you feel better soon Robert :(

poo poo.

Feel better Robert.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
So with the latest episode on the school of the Americas, was anyone else’s podcast randomly skipping backwards like a minute and repeating itself? iOS’s podcasts app does this with BtB on occasion but the last half of part one was like, an extra five min long due to it just “nope you need to hear all this murder again!”

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

teen witch posted:

So with the latest episode on the school of the Americas, was anyone else’s podcast randomly skipping backwards like a minute and repeating itself? iOS’s podcasts app does this with BtB on occasion but the last half of part one was like, an extra five min long due to it just “nope you need to hear all this murder again!”

I think that’s just iOS’s ap being trash. It does it for any iHeart cast but I’ve never had it happen with any others.

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy

Bust Rodd posted:

I think that’s just iOS’s ap being trash. It does it for any iHeart cast but I’ve never had it happen with any others.

Agreed; I haven’t listened to this Ep yet but I get that occasionally during iHeart podcasts as well. I think it’s like an editing gaffe on their side.

It’s slightly annoying but as someone who regularly edits a podcast I couldn’t imagine doing 2 a week like they do so I give them a pass :)

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"

teen witch posted:

Not a full minute, but I've definitely had repeated bits. I thought it was some editing error.

This is with Podcast Addict on Android btw.

GunFondler42069
Jan 28, 2020

it is not an editing error, we are unsure why this is happening for some people

echomadman
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost

GunFondler42069 posted:

Happened for me listening on podcast addict on android, I figured it was whatever automation that inserts the regional interstitial ads loving up, it happens on some other podcasts that use them for me sometimes.

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Fun Shoe

GunFondler42069 posted:

Feel better, Robert.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

echomadman posted:

Happened for me listening on podcast addict on android, I figured it was whatever automation that inserts the regional interstitial ads loving up, it happens on some other podcasts that use them for me sometimes.

that’s what I was thinking as well, as I don’t get the usual regional adverts, or any for that matter (note: not a complaint. I am ok with not getting Swedish adverts for Swedish Raytheon. I assume it’d be the reanimated remains of SAAB)

Sometimes I’ll even get adverts skipped over and immediate back to the show, that’ll happen with all iHeart podcasts, but not the weird skips. The weird skips is pure BtB, BUT not with every episode.

Anyhow, feel better Robert!

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

GunFondler42069 posted:

Get well soon Robert! May the healing power of machetes nurse you back to health!

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
So Pt. 2 worked totally fine and no weird put your podcast down flip it and reverse it nonsense. Awesome

But one thing I did notice and is stuck in my craw was that bit about introducing students of the SOTA to prosperity and the American way of life and what that does to someone, and if anyone has more resources along that route as it sort of confirms a theory I have about my father.

While he is not an alumni of SOTA, he grew up during the Biafran war...in Biafra. Moved to the states and became a conservative, still supports trump according to the last time I spoke to him about two years ago. Probably went full Q, I wouldn’t be shocked, but on that front for myself, ignorance is some form of bliss. Rest of my family in the states on his side are some form of democrat, however he was the first in the family to move over in the late seventies.

But the theory (was it a theory? Whatev) presented in the episode tracks on what I felt for some time as to why my dad is the way he is. No stronger zealot than a convert.

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Regarding Forky, I don't know any teens, but my pre-school aged kid loves him. Ain't no shame in being beaten to an award by freakin' pixar. Even attempting to compete with THE MOUSE shows gumption.

mrfart
May 26, 2004

Dear diary, today I
became a captain.
Oof, the zuckerberg episode.
I wish every facebook user was forced to listen to this.
It reminded me of a friend who worked at twitter in 2012.
back then he was one of few, if not the only person, who had to moderate every twitter user in Mexico, and I think even a large part of South America.
Including Brasil, a Portuguese speaking nation. A language he didn't speak. But it was close enough to Spanish according to his bosses.
The damage these companies have done to societies around the globe is hard to overstate.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
It’s wild that a website designed to objectify women would eventually be used to destroy democracy and facilitate racial violence... it’s like it was a bad idea the whole time!

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Speaking of the Tikal anecdote at the start of part 2, Gallo is pretty good.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
I forgot if it was Jamie or Sofie who said it but yes I get the same thing on IG as well with the “kiiind of looks like a screen recording red bar thing” which has changed with iOS 14 and is a good thing to know about!!!

https://9to5mac.com/2020/09/18/ios-14-what-do-the-orange-and-green-dots-in-the-status-bar-mean/

Also as someone who assisted in modding a kinda far left Facebook group with over 15k users and its spin off groups from 2014-16 let me tell you about the awful loving hell that is the groups platform. Ask me about getting Zucked for the crime of using my legal name!

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

I’m listening to the first part of the Golden Age of Terrorism and I have not laughed this hard at a podcast in a long time. Who knew that taking command of an airplane through threat of being shot in the face would be so light and hilarious?

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

DC Murderverse posted:

I’m listening to the first part of the Golden Age of Terrorism and I have not laughed this hard at a podcast in a long time. Who knew that taking command of an airplane through threat of being shot in the face would be so light and hilarious?

It really says a lot that that two parter is probably one of the funniest eps in the podcast in months. I had heard the name Carlos the Jackal multiple times but never imagined he was essentially Castor Troy from Face/Off.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

DC Murderverse posted:

There's a neat book called The Skies Belong to Us that's all about the spate of plane hijackings. The episode is a pretty basic summary, but I'd recommend it if you still have questions, like: what happens when multiple unrelated hijackers board the same flight? or what did the mafia have to do with it?

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Can anyone who listened to this weeks episode of WYE tell me if the title is referring to a pro-RBG episode or an anti-RBG ep? I’m a fan of the show but really don’t have time for anyone celebrating RBG or the SC.

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy

Bust Rodd posted:

Can anyone who listened to this weeks episode of WYE tell me if the title is referring to a pro-RBG episode or an anti-RBG ep? I’m a fan of the show but really don’t have time for anyone celebrating RBG or the SC.

Both. At the beginning is Cody and Robert joking around, but then the next 10-15 minutes is Sophie and Katy talking about how much of an inspiration she was for women everywhere and getting choked up. Then they take an ad break, come back, and say they talked about cutting the beginning where they were joking and decided not to, mostly thanks to Robert it seems. Then they’re pretty critical for the rest of the episode.

I think it was a fairly appropriate split of reverence and reality, though I will admit at being a bit put off by some of the language used by Sophie to describe RBG. I don’t blame her though; I think my own personal judgement is clouded a bit by the situation. It’s my problem, not hers.

TBH, for you, I’d probably recommend skipping the first 20 minutes or so.

Sab Sabbington
Sep 18, 2016

In my restless dreams I see that town...

Flagstaff, Arizona
After reading an article written by a survivor of fascism last night I decided it was probably time to go listen to It Could Happen Here given, like, fuckin' everything I guess, and while I am conceptually very pleased that most of my podcast engagement involves Robert in some capacity I definitely wish it was for more comedy history reasons instead of as potentially useful references for the future.

I finished the second part of the Zuck BTB last night, too, and man, do you think Jesse Eisenberg ever anticipated that he'd unintentionally portrayed a key figure in the death of society?

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret
https://twitter.com/IwriteOK/status/1311059276064985093?s=20

:3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

when i first held my son, i was overcome with the realization that one day i would die. that one day, god willing, this boy would bury me. i can only imagine that robert now feels the same way after his pod son garrison hosted like an old hand.