Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bismuth
Jun 11, 2010

by Azathoth
Hell Gem
Lmao that of all the korean mythical creatures to feature they picked the weebiest one

I personally dont think its weird that she forgave tic for killing her friend, because she probably has a higher body count than him and she actually has all the memories of the people she killed. That makes all her murders way more personal than following orders type stuff, so they probably hang on her a bit more. She saw herself and tic as kindred murderous spirits that could reach for humanity together

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moltke
May 13, 2009
I can't believe Tic did war crimes in a war and spiderman didn't immediately arrest him.

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
yes expecting a soldier who executed multiple civilians in broad daylight around many other witnesses to express some hesitation at the action or face even some questioning about it is the same as expecting him to be "arrested by spiderman", hmmry indeed

Moltke
May 13, 2009
In the prior 5 episodes, Tic is repeatedly shown to be struggling with something that happened in Korea and voices this to other characters. In this episode he addresses his terrible actions directly in conversation with Ji Ah. How much more do you need this spelled out?

Bismuth
Jun 11, 2010

by Azathoth
Hell Gem
That feel when you want to do an anime but your character fought in Korea instead of Japan *slaps a 9-tailed fox into script like flex-seal on a water tank*

Anonymous Zebra
Oct 21, 2005
Blending in like it ain't no thang
China and Korea actually do have their own variations of the nine-tailed fox. I actually stopped the video to look up what creature they were referring to and laughed when wikipedia showed it was a nine-tailed fox.

This is by far the weirdest Naruto fan film I've seen in awhile :v:.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.

ex post facho posted:

yes expecting a soldier who executed multiple civilians in broad daylight around many other witnesses to express some hesitation at the action or face even some questioning about it is the same as expecting him to be "arrested by spiderman", hmmry indeed

One involves magical thinking and no sense of how the world works. The other has Spiderman.

Bismuth
Jun 11, 2010

by Azathoth
Hell Gem

Anonymous Zebra posted:

China and Korea actually do have their own variations of the nine-tailed fox. I actually stopped the video to look up what creature they were referring to and laughed when wikipedia showed it was a nine-tailed fox.

This is by far the weirdest Naruto fan film I've seen in awhile :v:.

Oh I know, but they also have like a billion other creatures both unique and shared across cultures. Its just funny to me they picked the one that's the most well known because of anime, and most people associate with japan (and naruto). The people making the show are 100% young enough to know what's up too

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

ex post facho posted:

South Korean government estimated 500 civilians lost to war crimes by the US Army during the Korean War. You're terribly misinformed and sheltered.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
.....that's it?

Christ that'd make it like the cleanest war we've ever had, I feel like you dropped a 0 or something.

e: Yeah after refreshing my memory you are definitely off by quite a bit. We have individual cases with nearly that many dead.

Mulva fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Sep 22, 2020

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
in re it was silly to expect any sort of reprecussions from that action during the war so mea culpa there yeah lol. it doesn't help my own perceptions of the character but getting away with war crimes actually is pretty par for the course

ex post facho fucked around with this message at 19:11 on Sep 22, 2020

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Mulva posted:

.....that's it?

Christ that'd make it like the cleanest war we've ever had, I feel like you dropped a 0 or something.

e: Yeah after refreshing my memory you are definitely off by quite a bit. We have individual cases with nearly that many dead.

It's estimated war crimes performed by US Soldiers on South Korean citizens. If people admonish Tic for killing North Koreans then they don't really know what the communists did to American POWs . The actual war crime total of that war was way higher when you combine what both sides did to each other. The point is the Geneva convention did poo poo all to stop people from torturing/killing POWs and it's totally within the realm of possibility that Tic dehumanized his enemies.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Deec episode. Toward the bottom of the list but def watchable

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

It was odd that they set the happenings in Korea toward the beginning of the war, when everything was in panic retreat towards Pusan, rather than later when it had stalemated down.

beepsandboops
Jan 28, 2014
You can tell a show is good when there are several pages of argument over what constitutes a war crime

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

It's less a discussion about whether or not its a war crime (of course it is), and more a discussion about whether Tic could/should have done anything to stop it.

Not sure if its from the books, but I think that making his dark secret something that's unpalatable to a modern audience is a good choice. They could have easily made it something like killing a bunch of racists in cold blood.

Bismuth
Jun 11, 2010

by Azathoth
Hell Gem

Chef Boyardeez Nuts posted:

It's less a discussion about whether or not its a war crime (of course it is), and more a discussion about whether Tic could/should have done anything to stop it.

Not sure if its from the books, but I think that making his dark secret something that's unpalatable to a modern audience is a good choice. They could have easily made it something like killing a bunch of racists in cold blood.

Is it possible to kill racists in cold blood? If you know they're racists I mean, not like accidentally driving a semi through a klan meeting (which would be amazing imo)

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer
His point is the dark secret shouldn't be something you sit there thinking 'woah cool'

anothergod
Apr 11, 2016

I'm pretty sure we were less than 5 minutes into the first episode before Tic had that conversation about John Carter and how he could gloss over Carter's bullshit if it was a good time.

Bismuth
Jun 11, 2010

by Azathoth
Hell Gem

Regarde Aduck posted:

His point is the dark secret shouldn't be something you sit there thinking 'woah cool'

I got the point, I was just pondering if it was possible to kill racists in cold blood, if you knew who they were

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

JazzFlight posted:

Uhhh, did you miss the part where he shot a begging innocent nurse who wasn’t a spy in the head?

They really should have had him refuse and have his gun taken from him or something (to then shoot the woman), maybe then even have his war injuries be from his fellow soldiers.

The fact they had him defend himself with the tired old “just following orders” poo poo is disgusting.

The fact that they didn't do that is a huge strength of an otherwise uneven show IMO. It would have been cowardly to try and excuse imperialist war crimes by saying "he's one of the good soldiers!" - that was not the reality for most people who were or are STILL part of that system, especially not in his position/status, and speaks to the notion that they are trying to create realistic characters instead of ones that are "morally superior". Making soldiers not flinch at killing someone is literally the loving modus operandi of the military.

It all fits in with the message that the show keeps bringing up, which is that sometimes people you like are horrible loving monsters and you have to actually learn to process that instead of just averting your eyes.

Hakkesshu fucked around with this message at 10:41 on Sep 23, 2020

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

Bismuth posted:

I got the point, I was just pondering if it was possible to kill racists in cold blood, if you knew who they were

I live in a red state and can confirm it's still illegal to murder racists.

anothergod
Apr 11, 2016

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hd3t2GYxSBE

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Bismuth posted:

Is it possible to kill racists in cold blood? If you know they're racists I mean, not like accidentally driving a semi through a klan meeting (which would be amazing imo)

Honestly gently caress the rest of these conversations I just want to see Tic drive a semi through a klan meeting

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

What the heck happened to this show?

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.
People pinned their expectations on it and then didn’t like when it didn’t meet them/was something else.

AccountSupervisor
Aug 3, 2004

I am greatful for my loop pedal

Professor Shark posted:

What the heck happened to this show?

Nothing, it rules.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
With potentially a few exceptions, the people who strongly dislike this show are either actively racist or "I don't see color" racist

Show is a solid 3.6 roentgen so anyone getting mad-dad over it has some Issues

Nestharken
Mar 23, 2006

The bird of Hermes is my name, eating my wings to make me tame.
I keep getting major Hereditary vibes from this show when (vague but spoiled just in case) the spooky scary supernatural elements appear and thankfully deflate some of the tension of the real-world horror that we've been watching up to that point.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

I don't know guys I think that having the protagonist execute an innocent woman in cold blood might be legitimate criticism, in addition to the brutal forced penetration of another main character the episode before.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

Professor Shark posted:

Schindler's List: 0/5 Stars
They ruined the "protagonist" by making him a Nazi.

wolfs
Jul 17, 2001

posted by squid gang

i feel like ultimately you need to decide if you want your entertainment to be normative or transgressive because arguments like this are fundamentally based on this distinction and to what degree you’re comfortable with or supportive of the normative message you want it to send

because otherwise you apply purity tests to tv shows and movies and ???

like gogogadgetchris has ping ponged off the goddamn walls of opinion about this thing seemingly based on the race of people who produced it and not liking individual actions shown on the screen sometimes and not others and its actually incomprehensible

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Frankly it is good that Tic is a war criminal and a protagonist because people are complex and even good people do horrible things.

Moltke
May 13, 2009
Tic's arc is starting to give me Mother Night vibes. He might actually have a deathwish driving some of his more impulsive behavior, like pulling the gun on the braithwhite girl.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Nestharken posted:

I keep getting major Hereditary vibes from this show when (vague but spoiled just in case) the spooky scary supernatural elements appear and thankfully deflate some of the tension of the real-world horror that we've been watching up to that point.

Except this show has moments of horror while Hereditary was a boring piece of poo poo movie made by a hack director

Thom and the Heads
Oct 27, 2010

Farscape is actually pretty cool.

Doltos posted:

Except this show has moments of horror while Hereditary was a boring piece of poo poo movie made by a hack director

sorry about your taste

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
I really like the part where everyone cried constantly and nothing happened an hour and 45 minutes after the kids head unrealistically popped off because the mom forced her 18 year old kid to take a 13 year old kid to a high school party where they were making a walnut (?) cake that a girl with nut allergies ate knowing full well she has nut allergies and also the girl was only in the movie in the first place because the hack director saw an ugly girl and wanted to exploit her because she had like 5 lines of dialogue and made a creepy noise. Toni Collette deserves an Oscar for screaming and crying for two hours while playing the most unlikeable character among other unlikeable, unbelievably stupid characters. The best part is how all these unrealistic, stupid choices were validated by a throwaway line at the end that a ~cult made them do it~

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Heeheee, I will always love how much you learn about someone when they complain about an Ari Aster film

wolfs
Jul 17, 2001

posted by squid gang

I see you’d have preferred a Conjuring or Insidious, then...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
I've watched literally every horror movie you can think of and my posting in this subforum would show I pretty much predominately stick to horror. No, I don't like Insidious the Jump Scare franchise or Conjuring's look at our scary monster. Liking those movies isn't bad either since there's multiple types of horror fans.

What I'm saying is that Ari Aster is a hack that doesn't know how to shoot or direct actors. His films are full of shot reverse shot with random camera pannings that don't make any sense. Like when they were driving to the compound in Midsommar he just flipped the camera over and went down the road. If that's supposed to show the main character's world turning upside down then it's hamfisted. If not it's just a stupid shot. That's ignoring that literally every one of his characters just cry the entire film. It's eliciting a fake emotion from the audience. The writing is blisteringly stupid full of unbelievably, unrealistic, stupid characters. A guy literally pisses on the sacred tree in Midsommar 5 feet away from people worshipping it then goes into the forest with a random girl seducing him. I'm bringing up Midsommar because I already covered how stupid Hereditary's characters were throughout the entire long, plodding film.

If you want an emotional engagement arthouse film through horror go watch the VVitch or Resolution/The Endless. Ari Aster is a hack.