Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cuddly Tumblemumps
Aug 23, 2013

Postmodernity means the exhilarating freedom to pursue anything, yet mind-boggling uncertainty as to what is worth pursuing and in the name of what one should pursue it.

scary ghost dog posted:

i didnt say it was incomprehensible. i said it was awful
edit: i guess i did say it was incomprehensible yesterday. i was mostly referring to the scene where mother is having sex with the mysterious simulation atheist and then wakes up and uses telekinesis to lift boulders and throw them at people

Are you just bitter that a fictional robot had a more energizing and empowering wetdream than you will ever hope to have?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Cuddly Tumblemumps posted:

Are you just bitter that a fictional robot had a more energizing and empowering wetdream than you will ever hope to have?

lol what the hell

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

scary ghost dog posted:

edit: i guess i did say it was incomprehensible yesterday. i was mostly referring to the scene where mother is having sex with the mysterious simulation atheist and then wakes up and uses telekinesis to lift boulders and throw them at people

What's not to get? It's a telekinetic murder drone that someone shoddily tacked on a human consciousness to and now it's very confused about its identity and role in the world and it's exploring its humanity and sexuality by using digital genitalia and it's also being psychologically manipulated by her mithraic AI gently caress buddy. Oldest story in the book, pretty cut and dry.(I don't think this is the show for you though)

Also, reminds me of Under the Skin, which is a fantastic movie

OH WORD SON
Apr 21, 2006

scary ghost dog posted:

She used her scream to explode the boulders

Entirely different.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

GABA ghoul posted:

What's not to get? It's a telekinetic murder drone that someone shoddily tacked on a human consciousness to and now it's very confused about its identity and role in the world and it's exploring its humanity and sexuality by using digital genitalia and it's also being psychologically manipulated by her mithraic AI gently caress buddy. Oldest story in the book, pretty cut and dry.(I don't think this is the show for you though)

Also, reminds me of Under the Skin, which is a fantastic movie

OH WORD SON posted:

She used her scream to explode the boulders

Entirely different.

yes, of course.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

I like the show even if it is strange

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

there are worse shows. for example, game of thrones

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

Google Butt posted:

there are worse shows. for example, game of thrones

GoT had a legit good start and 2-3 seasons

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

Mokotow posted:

GoT had a legit good start and 2-3 seasons

im not going to find out

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Google Butt posted:

im not going to find out

Your loss. Seasons 1-4 are great.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Can we at least agree the most realistic thing in the show was how Father told really bad dad jokes?

LentThem
Aug 31, 2004

90% Retractible
I'm a little annoyed at the complete lack of curiosity by all of the characters and it's really making it feel like the writers are doing it on purpose so that New Events can happen whenever they want.

Stuff like "let's build a homestead in the desert and never venture more than 500 yards away for the next 12 years, and exclusively use the first food source we find" can at least be partially written off as Android Bullshit so that writers can introduce a new area with new stuff the first time the kids run away (with more Android Bullshit of continuing to live in the desert even though the woods look pretty nice)

But then the cultists find a parkouring hermit that can make physics-based boobytraps, a topographical map of the terrain AND THE loving STARS and has a set of tarot cards, and they give a poo poo for all of 20 seconds "gee maybe some humans got here earlier- anyway lets go capture the homestead and build a church and never speak of this or the possibility of other intelligent life again"

It's like that really lazy writing technique where you narrate the story extremely narrowly so that you can have some surprise conclusion later

Anonymous Zebra
Oct 21, 2005
Blending in like it ain't no thang

LentThem posted:

I'm a little annoyed at the complete lack of curiosity by all of the characters and it's really making it feel like the writers are doing it on purpose so that New Events can happen whenever they want.

Stuff like "let's build a homestead in the desert and never venture more than 500 yards away for the next 12 years, and exclusively use the first food source we find" can at least be partially written off as Android Bullshit so that writers can introduce a new area with new stuff the first time the kids run away (with more Android Bullshit of continuing to live in the desert even though the woods look pretty nice)

But then the cultists find a parkouring hermit that can make physics-based boobytraps, a topographical map of the terrain AND THE loving STARS and has a set of tarot cards, and they give a poo poo for all of 20 seconds "gee maybe some humans got here earlier- anyway lets go capture the homestead and build a church and never speak of this or the possibility of other intelligent life again"

It's like that really lazy writing technique where you narrate the story extremely narrowly so that you can have some surprise conclusion later

YES. I started writing a rather long post about how this show feels like some kind of fever dream with a weird fluid idea of reality, but then deleted it because I hate when people just constantly hate-watch in TVIV threads. But absolutely I've been seeing what you mentioned. It feels like everyone is mildly sedated, responding to incredibly strange things like they are no big deal, and making odd decisions as if they don't realize they are a fragile fragment of humanity on an alien world. I'd understand it if the setting indicated that space-travel to other habitable (and inhabited) worlds was common place, but other parts of the show seem to indicate that this was the first time they had engaged in interstellar travel.

Finding giant serpent skeletons? No worries, they must be extinct (how do they know?!). Weird alien artifacts? Okay, time to move on. All of our children are missing, and our colony is doomed without a next generation, no worries. We have our kid back, lets take him and only ourselves to an isolated zone, it's not like this will doom our son to die alone on an alien world or anything. Father, an android, literally sees a child who he knows is dead, and shrugs it off even though he is A MACHINE THAT SHOULD NOT BE NORMALLY HALLUCINATING. Like, he can play back the memory (we know they can do this) just to confirm he in fact saw a child, it's not like he should be able to shrug it off as being too tired and imagining things like a human might. Also the fact that they spent 14 years on the planet and never found another food source despite Campion finding the fungus in a single day...It just goes on and on.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Hell yeah this show fuckin rules

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

LentThem posted:

I like that the entire planet is covered in bottomless pits and godzilla sized snake skeletons and everyone is like "nbd they are probably extinct"

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Yes instead of worrying about the survival of our species we should definitely conduct xenobiological research with no scientists around.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Honestly if you are the type of person to nit pick how things "really should be" this is probably not the show for you though. It's weird, but I think it's (mostly) consistent and I find the story super entertaining. I watch it with the mindset that I'd watch an 80's kids fantasy movie like The Neverending story or Labyrinth and it feels perfect.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

That's my feeling on it, basically. It's a show about vibes, about being wowed by crazy poo poo happening out of nowhere, about absolutely insane people/robots who have no business still being alive, nothing is rational, everything is permitted. I also probably would not enjoy if it if I had to constantly ask myself "well, why don't they do THIS or THAT".

Sally Sprodgkin
May 23, 2007

Hakkesshu posted:

That's my feeling on it, basically. It's a show about vibes, about being wowed by crazy poo poo happening out of nowhere, about absolutely insane people/robots who have no business still being alive, nothing is rational, everything is permitted. I also probably would not enjoy if it if I had to constantly ask myself "well, why don't they do THIS or THAT".

What's the max character count for a thread title?

The show falls apart under the simplest scrutiny, I get the feeling it's very much a 'big ideas' show where the little pieces on the board being painted the wrong way in the moment didn't really matter in terms of overall creative vision, and at times it's just completely incomprehensible. But it's cool and different and seems comfortable with being all of the above, so I like it despite the flaws. On the other hand I would totally understand if somebody told me they hated it for all of those same reasons.

Sally Sprodgkin fucked around with this message at 10:33 on Sep 23, 2020

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I don't get why people keep calling it "incomprehensible". The story is pretty straight forward and easy to follow. I also don't think it falls apart unless someone actually still thinks they are watching hard sci-fi after 7 episodes of wild fantasy stuff. In which case , lol.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

It's like people are watching Zardoz and trying to criticize it like Apollo 13.

Sally Sprodgkin
May 23, 2007

veni veni veni posted:

I don't get why people keep calling it "incomprehensible". The story is pretty straight forward and easy to follow. I also don't think it falls apart unless someone actually still thinks this is hard sci fi after 7 episodes of wild fantasy stuff.

It's a lot of the little stuff that adds up really, I'm not expecting a hard sci-fi but characters tend to act in irrational ways for plot progression or to boost the surprise factor of 'big reveal' scenes later. For example, why did Mother and Father never explore the holes or ever bother to look more than 1km outside their house? How does a child find a new source of food in a day of searching after the androids have been there for 12 years? Why does mother scream at boulders after she is trapped instead of just killing everyone around her like she's already done about 7 times so far in the series? Why does Father (and Mother at one point) completely ignore the fact they're either seeing visions or a long-dead child running around and not bother to ever check whether it is real or a hallucination? Why only send 12 embryos to repopulate a planet? Why does Paul's mother want to run off to the tropical zone with three people, presumably to die horribly? Why do the Mithraics just shrug off finding a humanoid/semi-humanoid who has clearly been on the planet for a long time and conversely, how the hell did Mother and Father never notice something dwelling what seems to be less than a few days walk from their homestead?

I'm sure there's more - it's the culmination of all the little things that just sort of add up to the show lacking verisimilitude and feeling a bit schizophrenic.

E: Oh, and why the gently caress does mother howl like a wolf when Tally dies but literally never again? It just feels like heavy-handed foreshadowing that is contrary to the character's behaviour up to that point and then for the remainder of the season.

Sally Sprodgkin fucked around with this message at 11:07 on Sep 23, 2020

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

The only thing that really throws me off is that father/mother did not prioritize getting the rest of the stuff out of the ship/recovering the ship somehow.

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

socialsecurity posted:

The only thing that really throws me off is that father/mother did not prioritize getting the rest of the stuff out of the ship/recovering the ship somehow.

They show a complete lack of interest in the holes and the creatures, which leads to two possibilities - either their programming excludes interacting with them, showing some kind of foreknowledge their creator had, or it happened off screen and they just deemed it uninteresting when we weren’t looking. Interestingly, the Mithraians don’t seem to spend too much time talking about the holes and skeleton either, even though they’re awed by them.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Sheriff Falc posted:

E: Oh, and why the gently caress does mother howl like a wolf when Tally dies but literally never again? It just feels like heavy-handed foreshadowing that is contrary to the character's behaviour up to that point and then for the remainder of the season.

futurebot 2000
Jan 29, 2010

Sheriff Falc posted:

why did Mother and Father never explore the holes or ever bother to look more than 1km outside their house? How does a child find a new source of food in a day of searching after the androids have been there for 12 years? Why does mother scream at boulders after she is trapped instead of just killing everyone around her like she's already done about 7 times so far in the series? Why does Father (and Mother at one point) completely ignore the fact they're either seeing visions or a long-dead child running around and not bother to ever check whether it is real or a hallucination? Why only send 12 embryos to repopulate a planet? Why does Paul's mother want to run off to the tropical zone with three people, presumably to die horribly? Why do the Mithraics just shrug off finding a humanoid/semi-humanoid who has clearly been on the planet for a long time and conversely, how the hell did Mother and Father never notice something dwelling what seems to be less than a few days walk from their homestead?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-x1YuvUQFJ0

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

veni veni veni posted:

It's like people are watching Zardoz and trying to criticize it like Apollo 13.

yes, it is a lot like zardoz

Sally Sprodgkin
May 23, 2007

We call this psychological phenomenon The Ridley Scott Effect.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Sheriff Falc posted:

It's a lot of the little stuff that adds up really, I'm not expecting a hard sci-fi but characters tend to act in irrational ways for plot progression or to boost the surprise factor of 'big reveal' scenes later. For example, why did Mother and Father never explore the holes or ever bother to look more than 1km outside their house? How does a child find a new source of food in a day of searching after the androids have been there for 12 years? Why does mother scream at boulders after she is trapped instead of just killing everyone around her like she's already done about 7 times so far in the series? Why does Father (and Mother at one point) completely ignore the fact they're either seeing visions or a long-dead child running around and not bother to ever check whether it is real or a hallucination? Why only send 12 embryos to repopulate a planet? Why does Paul's mother want to run off to the tropical zone with three people, presumably to die horribly? Why do the Mithraics just shrug off finding a humanoid/semi-humanoid who has clearly been on the planet for a long time and conversely, how the hell did Mother and Father never notice something dwelling what seems to be less than a few days walk from their homestead?

I'm sure there's more - it's the culmination of all the little things that just sort of add up to the show lacking verisimilitude and feeling a bit schizophrenic.

I don't disagree with you in principle, but some of these are really nitpicking.

The fungus was hidden down a dangerous hole, so it's not surprising that they never found it before they became desperate. The fungus and the "pizza" are also not farmable and able to sustain a human settlement, so there wasn't a lot of interest in it. A lot of poo poo in nature is technically digestible for humans but we grow only a tiny selection of it for food.

Father seems pretty freaked out about having hallucinations and tried to tell Mother immediately. I'm not sure what else he could've done with that information.

Marcus and Sue said they are out for revenge and don't want the mithraics to have the planet. Some version of blowing up the ark and loving of with the kid was probably their plan from the beginning. They were on that ship to sabotage it, not integrate into mithraic society.

The mithraics only found the dwelling due to the trackers. It's probably disguised enough inside the skeleton that nobody would find it at random. Not sure what else they could've done there? And they really had much more important poo poo on their mind.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Sci-fi attracts holier than thou types all the time that think they are so much smarter and better than the writers. Instead of letting a story play out they infect the discussions on how they would do things or how things should be. It's a fantasy show. Nothing has to appease you - it just has to tell a good story. And the show is doing a drat good job of it. Maybe they'll explain it later - who knows, who really cares. I don't need someone to stop everything, stare into the camera and explain "actually the rock in the desert was from planet yuiier-33z and senses anger". You can piece things together in your head and hey, if it's not what it is - I won't be mad at the show. I'll just accept the explanation.

Like the creatures wandering around - they clearly have a spine, ears, a nose, hands like a human - could it be explorers from before? Some weird animal? A society that collapsed thousands of years ago cause of giant snakes? I dunno.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Vintersorg posted:

Sci-fi attracts holier than thou types all the time that think they are so much smarter and better than the writers. Instead of letting a story play out they infect the discussions on how they would do things or how things should be. It's a fantasy show. Nothing has to appease you - it just has to tell a good story. And the show is doing a drat good job of it. Maybe they'll explain it later - who knows, who really cares. I don't need someone to stop everything, stare into the camera and explain "actually the rock in the desert was from planet yuiier-33z and senses anger". You can piece things together in your head and hey, if it's not what it is - I won't be mad at the show. I'll just accept the explanation.

Like the creatures wandering around - they clearly have a spine, ears, a nose, hands like a human - could it be explorers from before? Some weird animal? A society that collapsed thousands of years ago cause of giant snakes? I dunno.

now who’s being holier-than-thou

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Vintersorg posted:

The last jedi had a masterful troll on these type of people with that bomber run scene where the anal beads bombs fall towards the target after being released instead of floating in place. People were losing their mind about how nobody cares about accuracy in "scientific entertainment" anymore and western civilization is now doomed. Extremely funny, cause that scene probably had the most accurate physics in all of Star Wars.

futurebot 2000
Jan 29, 2010
It's called science fiction for a reason you nerds. It's all just a random series of events with no need for any consistency or character motivation.

Anything could happen at any time! Isn't that exciting?

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
I do think this show is attracting a lot of people yelling plot hole because it's so utterly uninterested in explaining a lot of its mechanics.

Which is fair enough because a lot of the explanations are boring.

But my favourite one I keep seeing is "Why didn't Mother / Father do [x] in all the years they spent looking after six children on an alien planet previously uninhabited by human life".

I think they were probably a bit busy.

Sally Sprodgkin
May 23, 2007
I said I like the show regardless of all that stuff. It's fun and cool, but has some some flaws that people could rightfully point out.

And the theme song is supa hot fyre. I will die on that cross.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Sheriff Falc posted:

It's the same team who did the Fortitude and Dark credits, I believe.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Sheriff Falc posted:

I said I like the show regardless of all that stuff. It's fun and cool, but has some some flaws that people could rightfully point out.

the opening credits are definitely top tier

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

...perfect spiral, scientists are still figuring it out...
What happened to the other six embryos? I think I missed that somehow.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Yeah, that song is amazing. I saw on the reddit someone was trying to piece together the chords.

So if you wanna play along with it:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xHyq5UCVh4w

quote:

I'm playing it on an online piano keyboard and its basically those notes (C, Db, Eb, F) with a consistent Eb two octaves up.. dunno if that helps

Gonna be trying that out when I get home on guitar.

Unkempt posted:

Lost in the hole.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

futurebot 2000
Jan 29, 2010

Unkempt posted:

Thawed and turned into mush.