Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: fart simpson)

Kevin DuBrow
Apr 21, 2012

The uruk-hai defender has logged on.
Noted author of bad journalistic takes Matt Yglesias wrote a book called ONE BILLION AMERICANS about how the U.S. needs to increase its population to match China's to preserve U.S. hegemony (his words).

https://twitter.com/glennbeck/status/1307472038123073536?s=20

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dreddout
Oct 1, 2015

You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you.

Kevin DuBrow posted:

Noted author of bad journalistic takes Matt Yglesias wrote a book called ONE BILLION AMERICANS about how the U.S. needs to increase its population to match China's to preserve U.S. hegemony (his words).

I love when experts reveal that they don't actually understand how the world works at a fundamental level

This is a policy a child comes up with

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

furiously masturbating to anime titties

sincx has issued a correction as of 05:31 on Mar 23, 2021

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

Kevin DuBrow posted:

does the book ever address why one would want to preserve US hegemony

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Hurrying along ecological collapse to own.... Someone?? Maybe??

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Look how loving horrible most American cities are now with pervasive car culture, poo poo public transit, exorbitant rents

Now imagine tripling the population

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
I always thought Yglesias would be a swarthy brown person, but then I realized I'm probably confusing him with Fareed Zakaria.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
Also I heard some snippets of an interview with him and I think he actually proposes to get there by accpeting 600 million climate refugees from Bangladesh and Subsaharan Africa?

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

Throatwarbler posted:

Also I heard some snippets of an interview with him and I think he actually proposes to get there by accpeting 600 million climate refugees from Bangladesh and Subsaharan Africa?

loving lmao

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

Throatwarbler posted:

this is a perfect way to make The Camp of the Saints shoot up to #1 on the NYT bestseller list. Great job matty, you loving moron

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
Admittedly I wasn't listening all that closely so I could have just misheard

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how do you integrate 600 million people who have directly suffered due to American hegemony into wanting to uphold it

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020

Kevin DuBrow posted:

How the gently caress do you make rich nation have more babies? Even rich Chinese doesn't want to have more babies.

Throatwarbler posted:

Or even better, accepting Rohingya Muslims.

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

tbh he must know it sounds so dumb and ludicrous but also know it will get people saying 'drat what is that guy smoking' and keep he career farting along

Lady Militant
Apr 8, 2020

The history of all hitherto existing society is the history of class struggles.

Throatwarbler posted:

matty "the 3rd world must crush the 1st world" yglesis

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

Kevin DuBrow posted:

pay me $250k per child and I'll have a few

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
Yeah, I looked at the table of contents, and supposedly a 700 million more Americans is going to fix like health care, climate change, and urban livability. I don't think I can go further than that without permanent damage.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC

Kevin DuBrow posted:

Dude literally just ripped off that 100 million Canadians by 2100 white paper didn't he?

Morbus
May 18, 2004

indigi posted:

how do you integrate 600 million people who have directly suffered due to American hegemony into wanting to uphold it

It's pretty easy, you give them a job and convince them that they are better than the people they left behind / some other group that isn't allowed in.

But the people in charge are all literally dementia addled geezers who have forgotten every trick in the book so I doubt they will manage.

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

https://twitter.com/ChuNghiaCafein/status/1308510989118308352?s=20

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

I bet it was covid related. If the us wanted to kill him they would have just blown him up with a drone, which they do all the time to random people in the middle east anyway

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

I could see someone in Turkey killing a foreign journalist looking too closely at the Turkish policy of recruiting Uyghurs to fight in Syria.

Remember how the guy who helped set up the White Helmets "fell out of a window."

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://globalnation.inquirer.net/191076/covid-19-vaccine-should-be-made-available-to-all-nations-duterte-says-in-un-general-assembly-debut

quote:

MANILA, Philippines — Speaking for the first time at the United Nations General Assembly, President Rodrigo Duterte stressed on Wednesday that the coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19) vaccine, once available, should be made available to all nations “as a matter of policy.”

In his 20-minute speech before other world leaders, Duterte said “coordinated international plans and efforts” would be needed to overcome the COVID-19 pandemic, which he called the “biggest test the world and the United Nations faced since World War II.”

“COVID-19 knows no border. It knows no nationality. It knows no race. It knows no gender. It knows no age. It knows no creed,” Duterte said.

“The Philippines values the role that the United Nations plays in its fight against the pandemic. As a middle-income country whose economic advances have been derailed by the pandemic, we welcome the launch of the UN COVID Response and Recovery Fund,” he added.

Ensuring universal access to the COVID-19 technologies and products would be pivotal in ensuring recovery from the global pandemic, Duterte pointed out.

“The world is in the race to find a safe and effective vaccine,” he said. “When the world finds that vaccine, access to it must not be denied nor withheld. It should be made available to all, rich and poor nations alike, as a matter of policy.”

He added: “The Philippines joins our partners in the ASEAN and the Non-Aligned Movement in raising our collective voice: the COVID-19 vaccine must be considered a global public good. Let us be clear on this.”

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
Some sane words from Durtarte.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
https://twitter.com/CarlZha/status/1308595768928870401?s=19

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

stephenthinkpad posted:

Some sane words from Durtarte.

I assume he's going to threaten to withhold the vaccine from Mindanao or communist areas to make up for it.

Hedenius
Aug 23, 2007

Noah Smith is a writer for Bloomberg. And looking through his twitter posts I found one of the biggest self-owns in history.

https://twitter.com/noahpinion/status/1308822657408798720?s=21

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

Hedenius posted:

Noah Smith is a writer for Bloomberg. And looking through his twitter posts I found one of the biggest self-owns in history.

https://twitter.com/noahpinion/status/1308822657408798720?s=21

completely boring opinions too. Just absolutely worthless as a pundit, even from an eye-grabbing perspective

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
he tweets like he is a baby who is just beginning to understand the world

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

Dreddout posted:

I love when experts reveal that they don't actually understand how the world works at a fundamental level

it is also a policy a child could trivially refute if they thought to look at any other countries with a billion population

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010

Dreddout posted:

Also, incidentally, a policy that Mao came up with

THS
Sep 15, 2017

Devils Affricate posted:

Also, incidentally, a policy that Mao came up with

that's dumb. china would have the largest population in the world regardless of whatever the gently caress mao did

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Love to see some good old Chinese exceptionalism

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010

THS posted:

that's dumb. china would have the largest population in the world regardless of whatever the gently caress mao did

It's dumb because why exactly? The policy being called out as childish was unarguably the CCP's official policy until the 1970s. I mean yeah it's stupid as all hell, but in this context this sentiment is hilariously ironic.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020

Devils Affricate posted:

It's dumb because why exactly? The policy being called out as childish was unarguably the CCP's official policy until the 1970s. I mean yeah it's stupid as all hell, but in this context this sentiment is hilariously ironic.

What policy exactly? Mao didn't push any policy that encouraged Chinese have more babies.

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010

stephenthinkpad posted:

What policy exactly? Mao didn't push any policy that encouraged Chinese have more babies.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1550444/

quote:

However, the root cause of the policy lay back in the 1960s with Mao Zedong's belief that “the more people, the stronger we are”

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
North Korean troops kill S.Korean man, burn body, Seoul says

North Korean troops reportedly have orders to shoot and burn any attempting to enter the country to prevent the spread of COVID-19.

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

depends on if you think saying 'have more babies' and not saying 'don't have more babies' is the same

or that not doing anything is a policy, I guess

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010

Antonymous posted:

depends on if you think saying 'have more babies' and not saying 'don't have more babies' is the same

I don't. He was explicitly saying the first thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

Devils Affricate posted:

I don't. He was explicitly saying the first thing.

https://www.macrotrends.net/countries/CHN/china/fertility-rate

fertility rate went up by 2% a year for a couple years in the 60s and has otherwise been declining, never returned to 1950 levels

China's population grew because the people who were alive were taken care of, not really because more people were created

at least that's my understanding

edit: I get your point is 'mao said something like matty is saying' which yah ok, he probably did. He also maybe apocryphally told nixon/kissinger 'would you guys want 10 million women? we have too many and they have too many kids'

https://www.scmp.com/article/626178/mao-offered-10m-women-trade-us

maybe that's a humble brag?

Antonymous has issued a correction as of 10:24 on Sep 24, 2020