Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Vote to threadban Bioshuffle
This poll is closed.
Yes (Goku) 146 85.38%
No (also Goku) 25 14.62%
Total: 171 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Prowler
May 24, 2004

WampaLord posted:

To me, you're setting the moral standards at a weird place because of course it's a better reaction than Homelander's, Homelander is a loving sociopath. Everyone's reactions are better than Homelander all the time.

Stormfront is a literal Nazi who has killed countless minorities.
Homelander has killed any number of innocents without giving a poo poo.

These two work for a corporation that has harbored Nazis and is basically a giant experiment in eugenics across the globe (it was interesting for them to note the demographics of the created super heroes).

We are setting the bar where the show has it set: basically underground. What do you expect?

Also, pathos does not mean "redeeming." It means "eliciting sad emotion."

Seven Hundred Bee posted:

which is why its significant that even that minimum of human empathy sets him apart from the other seven, thats how bad they are

or in other words one of the reasons why the show is good is because it resets the 'what makes someone better than others' to an absurd scale and creates empathy for a character who is also a monster

This!

Prowler fucked around with this message at 21:30 on Sep 22, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wild T
Dec 15, 2008

The point I'm trying to make is that the only way to come out on top is to kick the Air Force in the nuts, beart it savagely with a weight and take a dump on it's face.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts posted:

A-Train is a tragic figure, a token Speedster who is doomed to be eventually eclipsed by someone younger and faster and it isn't shocking that he'll do anything to keep the ride going as long as he can.

Also Robin was in the street.

She was two steps off the curb.

Seven Hundred Bee
Nov 1, 2006

i also wonder if theres a relationship between 'how powerful a hero is' and 'how bad of a person they are'. starlight does seem kind of weak compared to the others? this is probably clearer in the comics.

Bioshuffle
Feb 10, 2011

No good deed goes unpunished

Prowler posted:

Stormfront is a literal Nazi
Please don't start this again. In case you missed it esperterra chimed in earlier in the thread with regards to that topic.

esperterra posted:

Going forward, debating whether or not Stormfront is or was literally a member of the Nazi party, or is simply an incredibly racist person, will earn probes.

They're all bad in different ways. Even Starlight is a snitch who uses blackmail and other unsavory tactics to get what she wants. It's one of the best things about the show. Even the heroes are assholes. Look at Frenchy- he's a drug abusing gun smuggling criminal who tries to take advantage of a woman in mourning.

Bioshuffle fucked around with this message at 21:45 on Sep 22, 2020

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

i also wonder if theres a relationship between 'how powerful a hero is' and 'how bad of a person they are'. starlight does seem kind of weak compared to the others? this is probably clearer in the comics.

Yeah I kinda wish they elaborated on a few of the superheroes powers, like mainly Starlight/Maeve/Homelander/Stormfront/Black Noir. Like... what does Maeve do again? :confused:

Also, I think A-Train will play an integral part in bringing down Stormfront, which I think he will die doing, and that will be the extent of him "redeeming" himself.

Durzel
Nov 15, 2005

It feels super reductive to me to watch a show and apply real world absolute morality to it, to the point where you just write characters off completely. I think you have to think about the characters in the context of the world they exist in, and the spectrum of morality of the other characters.

I don’t think anyone is saying that A-Train is “good” in the simplistic way you could say Starlight is, but you can look at the time the show is spending on inviting you to recalibrate your feelings about a character, and give it some consideration. A-Train has had some real pathos this season, in sharp contrast to The Deep who the show has decided does not deserve similar treatment, and is basically just pratfalling everywhere.

As said before he is being shown as losing everything that he believed was important, and it isn’t being conveyed on screen in a way that is supposed to make you enjoy it. That, I feel, is very deliberate. He’s turned into a pretty interesting character.

Bioshuffle
Feb 10, 2011

or in other words one of the reasons why the show is good is because it resets the 'what makes someone better than others' to an absurd scale and creates empathy for a character who is also a monster
Agreed. As I stated earlier in the thread, even Homelander is given an empathic light in some scenes. About the only character in the show who has not given any leeway for empathy is Stormfront.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Durzel posted:

It feels super reductive to me to watch a show and apply real world absolute morality to it, to the point where you just write characters off completely. I think you have to think about the characters in the context of the world they exist in, and the spectrum of morality of the other characters.

I don’t think anyone is saying that A-Train is “good” in the simplistic way you could say Starlight is, but you can look at the time the show is spending on inviting you to recalibrate your feelings about a character, and give it some consideration. A-Train has had some real pathos this season, in sharp contrast to The Deep who the show has decided does not deserve similar treatment, and is basically just pratfalling everywhere.

As said before he is being shown as losing everything that he believed was important, and it isn’t being conveyed on screen in a way that is supposed to make you enjoy it. That, I feel, is very deliberate. He’s turned into a pretty interesting character.

Never did I say I was writing off A Train completely, I agree that he's an interesting character. There were just some posts I disagreed with, and we had a discussion about it! Isn't posting great?

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Sortmfront being a Supe-premacist really pushes along the horror that she thinks supes are inherently better than measly humans, and there's a supe hierarchy at play so it's not just "we rock". Great job by the writers there.

But ugh super foreplay at the end :barf: FFwd through all of that .

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

I'm pretty sure the whole point of A-Train's story is to end up exploring 'how do you feel about this guy who has been a piece of poo poo and isn't really remorseful and hasn't really improved themselves, but wants to be on team good guys because they've decided it's their least worst option?' How important is the moral purity of your movement to you?

Also re: Homelander my rationalisation of his powers is: he levitates when he flies, he's not generating constant thrust from anywhere. He's still subject to equal and opposite forces and momentum while flying, and he personally has almost no mass in comparison to the plane.

Durzel
Nov 15, 2005

WampaLord posted:

Never did I say I was writing off A Train completely, I agree that he's an interesting character. There were just some posts I disagreed with, and we had a discussion about it! Isn't posting great?
Sorry my dude I wasn’t pitching that at you directly, it was more of an general observation about people writing characters off or marking them for death after a certain point, or something.

Bioshuffle
Feb 10, 2011

Speaking of A-Train, let's not forget this gem.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l5czdDuQ5Kw

"You"ll teach me to outrun cancer?"

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Wild T posted:

And that's still on the street! If she was standing on the sidewalk she would still be alive :v:

Kilson
Jan 16, 2003

I EAT LITTLE CHILDREN FOR BREAKFAST !!11!!1!!!!111!

Alchenar posted:

Also re: Homelander my rationalisation of his powers is: he levitates when he flies, he's not generating constant thrust from anywhere. He's still subject to equal and opposite forces and momentum while flying, and he personally has almost no mass in comparison to the plane.

He can carry other people, so it seems he can apply some amount of force.

But really, these are magical powers that defy real-world explanations. None of them are going to make sense if you try to calculate energy usage or force applied or whatever.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.

Wild T posted:

That's the long way to say "the street." :colbert:

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

When you think about it the show has done a really good job fleshing out a cast of appalling human beings who all have realistic motivations for the casual atrocities they commit.

And yeah there does seem to be a correlation with supe power level and body count.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Bioshuffle posted:

Please don't start this again. In case you missed it esperterra chimed in earlier in the thread with regards to that topic.

That post doesn't say not to call Stormfront a nazi, it says not to debate it.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Durzel posted:

A-Train is also someone you can see walking the Damascus road in a way that Homelander or Stormfront never could. I'm sure that at some point he'll learn that Hughie saved his life after his heart attack when Starlight would have let him die, and his response to that is going to be interesting.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

I feel like the most likely outcome is Maeve and whoever takes her side just all get lasered.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

Jedit posted:

A-Train is also someone you can see walking the Damascus road in a way that Homelander or Stormfront never could. I'm sure that at some point he'll learn that Hughie saved his life after his heart attack when Starlight would have let him die, and his response to that is going to be interesting.

Man maybe I'm remembering wrong, but I thought Starlight DID tell him that earlier this season.

ANOTHER SCORCHER
Aug 12, 2018

Bioshuffle posted:

Prowler wasn't debating whether she's a Nazi. They're using the fact that she is [textually and metatextually] a Nazi when having a discussion about the relative badness of her versus other characters. This is a pretty useless thread if we can't discuss a major element of a new and significant character.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
The post has been made that Stormfront is a nazi. The rule will only be violated, and probations handed out, if someone were to post anything disputing it.

Stormfront is a nazi btw

sponges
Sep 15, 2011

I need to see Stormfront humbled just a bit. She’s so smarmy and sarcastic and two steps ahead of everyone she has a conversation with.

This is probably the point but...still.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 13 days!

sponges posted:

I need to see Stormfront humbled just a bit. She’s so smarmy and sarcastic and two steps ahead of everyone she has a conversation with.

Next episode preview suggests Homelander confronts her about her past and she looks distressed but it could all be an act.

ANOTHER SCORCHER
Aug 12, 2018

sponges posted:

She's the alt-right, Richard Spencer-esque (even her undercut) memelord in contrast to the dated patriotism of Homelander. Given how the media drooled over Spencer or similar figures like Milo before their respective falls it makes sense for her to be a step ahead of everyone before a (hopefully satsifying) end.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!

sponges posted:

I’m already eager for it, but I’m ok with them continuing to build her a bit longer. By the time she gets even a little comeuppance we’ll all be frothing at the mouth for it.

She’s a remarkably effective villain when you consider she hasn’t had *that* much screen time with the show split between so many plots that don’t directly involve her. The actress is very good and does a lot of work with little smirks and other subtleties.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Panfilo posted:

Next episode preview suggests Homelander confronts her about her past and she looks distressed but it could all be an act.

Painful as it is to theorycraft this way: if she's not sticking around beyond the end of this season then the next episode is the one where Homelander starts to suspect something's wrong, she'll semi-successfully deflect, the episode after next will be Homelander arching from 'everything's fine' to 'everyone lied to me again' and the finale will be comeuppance time.

e: we are also going to get conclusive proof on literal nazi/not literal nazi. Ordinarily I'd say we wouldn't, but the show has made Stormfront's past an explicit Mystery To Be Solved.

Alchenar fucked around with this message at 23:29 on Sep 22, 2020

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

Aphrodite posted:

I feel like the most likely outcome is Maeve and whoever takes her side just all get lasered.

Speaking of, I really don't know why Maeve has gone to Deep for an ally.

All the dude wants is back on the team, and Homelander is a) team leader, b) told him he might get back on the team soon, and c) doesn't care about his sexual assault. Meanwhile Maeve and Starlight quite clearly hate him and probably wouldn't work with him even if he helped them. So what's stopping him shopping her to Homelander in exchange for taking her place?

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

jabby posted:

All the dude wants is back on the team, and Homelander is a) team leader, b) told him he might get back on the team soon, and c) doesn't care about his sexual assault. Meanwhile Maeve and Starlight quite clearly hate him and probably wouldn't work with him even if he helped them. So what's stopping him shopping her to Homelander in exchange for taking her place?

He was just saying that so The Deep wouldn't bug him about it. It was a brush off rather than a confirmation.

Durzel
Nov 15, 2005

jabby posted:

I think a goon nailed it just recently in the thread.

I think the smart money is on Maeve getting The Deep, or his fishy friends, to search the sea bed for any stuff missed from the plane crash in season 1. That will be where she acquires a phone or memory card or something that has that footage of them on (per the episode 6 preview)

Obviously that damns Maeve to some extent too, but she wants out anyway.

ptkfvk
Apr 30, 2013

i hope they do the thing that some JL writer did (might have been the earth2) where aquaman gets powered up and wrecks poo poo since being able to go so deep would make him incredibly strong and durable.

just keep that deep is an idiot and doesnt know how to use his powers

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

ptkfvk posted:

i hope they do the thing that some JL writer did (might have been the earth2) where aquaman gets powered up and wrecks poo poo since being able to go so deep would make him incredibly strong and durable.

just keep that deep is an idiot and doesnt know how to use his powers

Deep getting various sea creatures horribly killed and then being the only one super bummed out about it will never stop being darkly funny.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

I want to be a suicide bomber like Naqib.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Yeah that was kinda ... something .... to make the Arabic supe a mega suicide bomber

That actor was hot as gently caress though jesus christ lol

look at this poo poo

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

jabby posted:

Homelander was lying

The Deep is an idiot

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Bioshuffle posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YaUC1Al53uc
"I can't stop. I can't stop. I can't stop"
*zooms away*

Ah yes, truly the actions of someone who is remorseful.

If you want to defend A-Train, you're welcome to, but I am perfectly entitled to believe he's just as evil and narcissistic as the rest of the Seven.

He’s an addict, but again your ideology betrays you. There is no confusion for you in regards to A-Train’s motivation.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

I think one of the things I like about this show is nobody is really what we'd consider good.

They're trying to imagine a modern world in which gods actually exist.

And yeah, they'd probably be assholes.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
RIP Naqib, burn in truth

Grem
Mar 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 29 days!
Now that the tension is eased and we all agree Stormfront is a Nazi and A-Train is not a good person, have we all seen the bloopers?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4S9hYyxjTt8

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bioshuffle
Feb 10, 2011

ruddiger posted:

He’s an addict, but again your ideology betrays you. There is no confusion for you in regards to A-Train’s motivation.
There is no confusion for me because the show makes it pretty clear he is motivated by his need for fame and money. I do find it interesting that he is one of the few members of the Seven who has to work to keep his spot. The minute someone tops him, he is gone. I agree that their motivations is what keeps the show interesting. Especially as the show continually toys with their motivations and changes them.

Also, what ideology are you talking about? The one where I think people who murder without remorse for their personal gain are more villain than hero?

Bioshuffle fucked around with this message at 03:37 on Sep 23, 2020