Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Barry Bluejeans
Feb 2, 2017

ATTENTHUN THITIZENTH
eddie kingston and his sawdust knees probably not thrilled at having to follow that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan
Lee Johnson hasn't had that much chance to shine before so I'm a little surprised he's THAT good

Sign Carter immediately

The Pic
Nov 23, 2019
Is AEW Dark secretly the second show? Most matches have been absolute bangers

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
Veda Scott isn't excited for the blade and Qt wrestling for the heart of Allie. Tough!

Akileese
Feb 6, 2005

The Pic posted:

This is an especially good week of matches but it's been a pretty solid B show since they moved to tapings in Jacksonville. Usually at least 2-3 very good matches.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

The Pic posted:

They've said a few times that Dark is not what they envision the second show being (I imagine they want to get more time for primarily contracted talent), but that doesn't stop it from being a really good watch every week

smikey
May 22, 2004
It's not a hootenanny, it's an extravsganza!
So whenever Pillman's MLW deal is done, he's basically gonna be AEW + indies full time isn't he?

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

Taz genuinely chuckling at these stuff shots.

Wezlar
May 13, 2005

StarkRavingMad posted:

I appreciate that someone at AEW bothers to put together this Dark splash screen every week with everyone who will be on

Like, they could just have a generic Dark waiting screen but someone really be out there figuring out exactly where Puf and Fuego Del Sol and Billy Gunn's idiot son need to fit on the graphic for this week

This is from pages and pages ago but honestly I really appreciate that they put work into Dark and make it feel like more than a bunch of jobber and developmental matches even if that's what it is for the most part.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

King Clobbersaurus

Davros1 fucked around with this message at 01:36 on Sep 23, 2020

ARMBAR A COP
Nov 24, 2007

Davros1 posted:

King ClobbersaurusQ

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Wiltsghost
Mar 27, 2011

"I came out the womb gettin it."

"I'm sorry?"

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
Kingston was up before the 3 was counted

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

He left that cover early

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Eddie moves around the ring like The Iron Sheik

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

But he didn't lose that battle royal so who's counting

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
rules do not apply to the Mad King

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord
Ben Carter (of Mars) is gonna be a star

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

Catching up. Loved Starks and Taz putting over Hobbs' spinebuster. Starks is pretty good on commentary!

Lead Pipe Cinch
Mar 10, 2003

Heavy Metal Bakesale

Pylons posted:

Catching up. Loved Starks and Taz putting over Hobbs' spinebuster. Starks is pretty good on commentary!

Gonna be messed up when Hobbs spinebusters Darby straight through to the earth’s mantle.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

puf has a very fun jumbotron video.i wouldnt be opposed to puf being a Dark mainstay. ricky starks continues to impress on commentary. will hobbs is still a little green but will get there, the roster and coaching is too good for him not to. also thought butcher and blade looked good tonight, they stood out more than usual for me. ben carter is really good for his general lack of experience. rollins trained him well.

STING 64 fucked around with this message at 02:18 on Sep 23, 2020

Mons Hubris
Aug 29, 2004

fanci flup :)

Carter and Lee Johnson had a great match, wow

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

Mons Hubris posted:

Carter and Lee Johnson had a great match, wow

yeah i hope they get picked up for good. always, always recommend signing promising younger talent to build your future.

Lead Pipe Cinch
Mar 10, 2003

Heavy Metal Bakesale

JOHN CENA posted:

yeah i hope they get picked up for good. always, always recommend signing promising younger talent to build your future.

Seems like a better deal to actually sign folks to AEW “yeah you can still do indies too” deals while you help train them rather than the WWE style “invest in yourself and we’ll call you when we think you’re ready to have all of that trained out of you.”

ICR
Dec 31, 2008

Don’t worry, both have already been picked up. There’s no doubt about it.

arbybaconator
Dec 18, 2007

All hat and no cattle

Sign hotdog man

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

My roommate, not a wrestling fan, watched Dark with me and loved Butcher (of course) and the Lucha Bros., and laughed his rear end off at Luther. He also told me that Kingston carries himself like every legitimately scary man he knew when he lived in NYC.

Johnson/Carter was an absolute banger and I had no idea Lee had that in him. If he can cut a promo at all, he's got an insanely bright future.

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
as good as that match was, i feel the end should have been different, Lee piled on 3 devastating moves to 3 near falls, then he gets finished with a frog splash and loses, feel like lee kicking those out, then finishing Carter with those 3 moves and getting the pin would have been a better exchange, but it was still a loving insanely good match

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

Lee wasn't gonna get a win over Carter with him going against Scorpio Sky on TNT.

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
oh yeah I forgot

Carter is getting fast tracked as hell, drat

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

i enjoy the dark order sub-factions having their own colour schemes

MorningMoon posted:

Hobbs loving owns

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Haven't seen Dark yet - how was Kingston? I haven't seen him until he joined AEW but he's a special talent and I wanna see if he can go enough in the ring to be the guy.

Lead Pipe Cinch
Mar 10, 2003

Heavy Metal Bakesale

smarxist posted:

as good as that match was, i feel the end should have been different, Lee piled on 3 devastating moves to 3 near falls, then he gets finished with a frog splash and loses, feel like lee kicking those out, then finishing Carter with those 3 moves and getting the pin would have been a better exchange, but it was still a loving insanely good match

Spanish Fly into the kick shoulda been the finish, but I enjoyed the hell out of that match.

Also, very into the new built for speed version of the Butcher.

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

Kirios posted:

Haven't seen Dark yet - how was Kingston? I haven't seen him until he joined AEW but he's a special talent and I wanna see if he can go enough in the ring to be the guy.

Eddie's knees are pretty cooked but I still enjoy watching him beat the poo poo out of people, so his match was fun. He lit Pillman up like a pinball machine out there.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Kirios posted:

He had a good match with Pilman that was a little overshadowed by following Carter/Lee which was a real banger

Zombie Lemur
Jul 6, 2009

Empyrean empties
Thoughts:

I loved Uno casually strolling into the ring with his arms behind his back before he ended the match. He's really good at those little mannerisms that just convey how much of a prick he is.

I thought Hobbs legit hurt himself shoving Serpentico out of mid air. It's a cool spot, but I could see how it'd be a good way to jam a wrist. The spinebuster is a better finish than the Oklahoma stampede, IMO. Maybe not for everyone, it looks like death when Hobbs does it.

The second Dark Order match was solid, but I feel like it should have ended with the leapfrog DDT thing. Things got kind of discombobulated after that and I think they tried to shoehorn too much into the ending.

That Carter vs Johnson match was fantastic, pay per view quality. They were both very dialed in, I've been critical of Johnson's strikes in the past but those were on point as well. I can't see any way those two aren't signed with the way they were being put over on commentary.

Speaking of commentary, I dug how Starks managed to be kind of low key without being overshadowed by the other three. He's someone that doesn't need to raise their voice to get you to stop and listen to what they're saying.

I thought the King vs. Deeb match was a lot of fun too. Give me KiLynn King on Team Taz. Give me more women in stables as wrestlers in general, especially if things are going to be so stable centric. That'd help integrate the women's division a bit more instead of feeling like this thing that's off to the side.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

smarxist posted:

I think you are misremembering the match because Carter hits a Spanish Fly, then a superkick and gets a nearfall before winning with the frog splash. The only problem I have with the match is a Spanish Fly into a superkick is way cooler than a Frog Splash so if you are going to do a nearfall on the former, make the latter move something even cooler.

Lead Pipe Cinch
Mar 10, 2003

Heavy Metal Bakesale

I think that might’ve been the best Pillman Jr. match I’ve seen. He works well as a babyface who takes a beating but can pull a fired up comeback.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

Lead Pipe Cinch posted:

I think that might’ve been the best Pillman Jr. match I’ve seen. He works well as a babyface who takes a beating but can pull a fired up comeback.

Yeah I'm starting to come around on Pillman, I'm not familiar with his father so the legacy thing does nothing at all for me but he's actually pretty decent.

Carter/Johnson was just goddamn unreal and I'm really happy that Johnson finally got to show what he's got in the ring. They both deserve the #AllElite imprimatur after that. And while they've got Twitter open also give one to KiLynn King, goddamit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

rantmo posted:

Yeah I'm starting to come around on Pillman, I'm not familiar with his father so the legacy thing does nothing at all for me but he's actually pretty decent.

Carter/Johnson was just goddamn unreal and I'm really happy that Johnson finally got to show what he's got in the ring. They both deserve the #AllElite imprimatur after that. And while they've got Twitter open also give one to KiLynn King, goddamit.

I feel like a lot of these guys we've been seeing at multiple tapings might have some kind of unannounced dev deal in place.