Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NoWake
Dec 28, 2008

College Slice

bolind posted:

A local 28 year old guy got caught by a speed trap (camera van.) That upset him so much that he went home, took off his license plates, replaced them with a sign that said “gently caress POLICE” (sic) and proceeded to speed past the van an additional four times, at around double the posted limit.

He was fined about USD5k and had his vehicle impounded.

Seems like something a competent lawyer could have worked on. I'm guessing it wasn't worth it? Unless there's something unique like bumper stickers, aftermarket parts or body damage, or you ID the driver, how are you going to distinguish one Kia Forte from another if the plates don't exist and you don't ID the driver?

A red light camera ALLEGEDLY popped me rolling a right-turn-on-red at like 2mph. $100 for something anybody else on the road would do, especially with zero cross traffic and 100% visibility. The only identifying info the picture/video gave was a dark car-sized amorphous blob with two tail lights and the text "COOLGUY" (not my plate #) showing in the license plate area. There was no color, no issuing state legible or visible, no reg sticker detail... but since the text of the plate got a hit from the State of Illinois registration database, the ticket comes to me.

Now, "COOLGUY" is a vanity plate you can expect a lot of people would have. I know of at least 3 other people with the same plate # as mine, and they're in different states. So, it follows that if anybody else with that plate # runs a red light in the State of Illinois, the ticket would come to me. Barring any identification that points to the vehicle shown being MY vehicle and not someone else's, that isn't right!

$100 is worth fighting once with that defense, but not worth taking any further or hiring a lawyer over. There were a dozen other people in line behind me waiting for their hearing, and I'm sure we represented a fraction of a percent of the people who got popped there that particular week. The city has gotta be raking in a cool million a year over that red light camera, I've thought several times about going back there with a ladder, vest & hard hat to go up and install a trash bag over it. Or doing what this guy did, except getting a rental & rolling the light over and over with spoofed plates belonging to some city official.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
I forgot to mention that on every picture he was flipping a double bird to the camera.

The pics here are usually decentish enough to ID the driver.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
One thing I really can't stand about photo radar vans is when they repeatedly park in the same place over and over again. Just install a fixed camera if that specific spot requires such frequent enforcement.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

We had a guy locally get busted by photo radar... only to come back later with his rifle and shoot the drat thing up to try to destroy the evidence.

He didn't destroy any evidence (on the contrary, it helped convict him) but he did manage to hit a passing vehicle and drat near a kid who was a passenger in another vehicle :downsgun:

Way to go from basically a nothing offense to spending a few years in jail.

slidebite fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Sep 21, 2020

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
The cameras around me have all been removed. A guy ran for mayor on getting them removed and he won. Also they were hurting small business, I guess.

https://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/orange-county/os-apopka-to-stop-use-of-red-light-cameras-20180816-story.html

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

They installed one in Manchester NH which lasted about a week until it was pointed out there is a law in New Hampshire saying you cannot automated law enforcement or something to that degree.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

NoWake posted:

A red light camera ALLEGEDLY popped me rolling a right-turn-on-red at like 2mph.
$100 is worth fighting once with that defense, but not worth taking any further or hiring a lawyer over.

Hey, at least you had the option. I got nabbed for exactly the same thing a few years ago, but what I got in the mail was quite explicit that it was NOT a ticket. It was just a bill for $100. And bills don't come with the option of arguing them in traffic court. So there was no moving violation or anything, but this particular bill, if unpaid, would still cause your license to be suspended by the DMV.

It's a lovely little arrangement for them. They don't get to hand out moving violations, but who cares about that? This way, it's just money directly into the town coffers, under threat of legal consequences but with no way for their victims to legally defend themselves in court against those consequences. I'm not upset about the hundred bucks -- they did, after all, catch me fair and square doing a rolling stop, with video and everything. But I'm decidedly irked that this town's government has thrown away even the appearance of law or justice or being anything other than a shakedown racket.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

A bill instead of a ticket... that is a pretty nice racket.

Tex Avery
Feb 13, 2012
Texas does a similar thing, but they'll put a block on being able to renew the registration for your car. It's a particularly lovely scheme.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
one weird trick to avoid red light tickets: just loving stop at red lights and stop signs

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."
Goddammit
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Jmpo_QgAuY
For the record, I knew the crosswalk and cross street was empty. If it wasn't for the train stopping on coming traffic, leaving the cross street empty, I'd have gone into her.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Tex Avery posted:

Texas does a similar thing, but they'll put a block on being able to renew the registration for your car. It's a particularly lovely scheme.

They do that here, and it's not a moving violation, but you still have the option to contest it in court. So, for example, you couldn't say "I wasn't driving," since the ticket is given to the registered owner of the vehicle, but you could make the claim that it's not actually your car if it's not.

Dylan16807
May 12, 2010

BraveUlysses posted:

one weird trick to avoid red light tickets: just loving stop at red lights and stop signs
For red lights, that depends on the yellow being long enough. If it is, then sure.

Though are rolling stops even dangerous at 5mph or 3mph? A stop/speed camera shouldn't be set too sensitive.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Dylan16807 posted:

For red lights, that depends on the yellow being long enough. If it is, then sure.

Though are rolling stops even dangerous at 5mph or 3mph? A stop/speed camera shouldn't be set too sensitive.

Rolling rights are quite dangerous for peds and cyclists.
For example:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=piWmcIB5vwI

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Dylan16807 posted:

im not suggesting that we have more cameras, i just want people to loving stop at stop signs and red lights. you're not that important or too busy to just loving do it.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Dylan16807 posted:

Short yellows have been pretty conclusively shown to increase accident rates. Their only purpose is to get more people to run the red lights, even when traveling at the posted speed limit, unless they want to full-on emergency brake, risking being rear-ended.

Conversely, longer yellows and longer all red overlaps universally improve safety for all traffic in an intersection.

The fact that yellow lights are still regularly configured super short is a travesty. Signage and lights are for safety, not profit generation.

Killstick
Jan 17, 2010
Never don't stop at stop signs, after all, more opportunities to do a launch!

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Honestly a full stop versus a "safe" rolling stop takes at most 2 seconds, you're never too busy to just do it properly.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

BraveUlysses posted:

im not suggesting that we have more cameras, i just want people to loving stop at stop signs and red lights. you're not that important or too busy to just loving do it.

And I want there to be fewer stop signs and red lights.

For chrissakes the vast majority of four-way stops could be replaced with two signs saying YIELD and two signs not being there at all. Or roundabouts, roundabouts are good.

KozmoNaut posted:

Signage and lights are for safety, not profit generation.

Ditto speed limits.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

As much as I would love too, I don't have nearly enough faith in the average North American drivers ability.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Phanatic posted:

Ditto speed limits.

Here in southern Germany, a lot of small towns have 30kph limits, either permanently or at night only. With how bendy and tight the roads are in some of them, there's definitely a safety angle, but I figure the majority of them are because of noise reduction. So generally safety, but there can be other factors weighing in on the selection of speed limits as well.

It is a little bit odd coming straight from a 100kph main road into a 30kph town, I have to admit. But since the money from speeding tickets don't go directly into the town's coffers like they do in the US, I don't really see them as nefarious traps, but more of a "small town inhabitants dislike the noise from people racing down their main street" factor.

In general, the speed limits are very sensible, the majority of main roads are 100kph national speed limit, and people generally choose anywhere from 80-100kph as a speed they're comfortable with, which works out. Of course, some people insist on going 120kph, but I think a certain amount of speeding is always going to happen, no matter what.

And oh boy the Autobahn. I honestly wish they would just cap it at 130kph or something, because there is often an absolutely absurd speed differential, and it does lead to some very tense situations and emergency braking. But that's a whole different kettle of bratwurst.

KozmoNaut fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Sep 22, 2020

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

KozmoNaut posted:

Here in southern Germany, a lot of small towns have 30kph limits, either permanently or at night only. With how bendy and tight the roads are in some of them,

In southern (at least) England those same roads are like 50mph and it is glorious. It's so nice to be going every bit as fast as you want down a road and be in compliance with the law because the speed limit was set rationally.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Phanatic posted:

In southern (at least) England those same roads are like 50mph and it is glorious. It's so nice to be going every bit as fast as you want down a road and be in compliance with the law because the speed limit was set rationally.

I am talking about the streets in towns. If you go 50mph down those, please stop.

E: Also "able to go as fast as I want" != "rational".

bigbillystyle
Nov 11, 2003

Stenhouse? Nah. It's Ricky Roundhouse now.

Phanatic posted:

A couple years ago my wife and I did the Northcoast 500 in Scotland and it is the first time I think I ever slowed to below the speed limit for some corners just because it was a little too fast for me for being unfamiliar with the road, and driving on the other side of the car, on the other side of the road for the first time. I found it quite enjoyable and really glad the renal car lady convinced us to go with the VW Golf over the Fiat 500 we'd originally booked.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

KozmoNaut posted:

A rational speed limit is set at the speed the road naturally makes motorists want to go. Designing roads to make people go certain speeds is an actual thing, and a lot of too-low speed limits are the result of people wanting roads that encourage everyone to go fast(because they feel nicer to drive on than roads that naturally encourage people to drive slower and more cautiously) but wanting people to drive slower.

e: And as far as 'speed trap towns' are concerned: You can't have a road marked for 50mph & that naturally encourages people to go 50mph, then suddenly drop the limit to 25mph with no change in how the road is set up and act surprised that people still naturally want to go 50 instead of 25. Either accept that the through road is going to have faster traffic(and have the speed limit set accordingly) or invest the time and money into changing the part that goes through town so people naturally slow down there. Refusing to do either is what gives people the impression that it's a trap to make money.

(I get that these aren't the road setups you're talking about where you're at, but this is what most people are complaining about in this context)

Haifisch fucked around with this message at 22:41 on Sep 22, 2020

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

KozmoNaut posted:

I am talking about the streets in towns. If you go 50mph down those, please stop.

I was going 50 down roads with a speed limit of 50. I didn’t mean the streets in town, I was talking about the twisty country roads in rural England.

quote:

You’re misunderstanding me, and I didn’t say “able to go as fast as I want.” My point is that if you’re a competent driver, and you’re going as fast as you feel is safe for a road, *and* you aren’t speeding when you do it, then that’s a good sign because it means the speed limit was set appropriately for that road and not artificially low so it can be a revenue source.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Haifisch posted:

A rational speed limit is set at the speed the road naturally makes motorists want to go. Designing roads to make people go certain speeds is an actual thing, and a lot of too-low speed limits are the result of people wanting roads that encourage everyone to go fast(because they feel nicer to drive on than roads that naturally encourage people to drive slower and more cautiously) but wanting people to drive slower.

This veers dangerously close to "A = A" argumentation.

There are a lot of roads where the speed limit is set lower than would immediately appear applicable or "rational" at first glance. For instance, there may be treacherous lines of sight, intersections with less than optimal geometry, nearby forests and historical animal tracks/crossings, there are plenty of reasons that may not be immediately obvious to the common driver, and which do not necessitate artificially reducing the comfort or apparent niceness of the road in order to reduce speeds.

Most countries have blanket default speeds for certain types of roads, regardless of the fact that those roads may be vastly different in curvature, road surface standard and general markings/signage.

Compare and contrast a nice and wide 60mph national speed limit road in the middle of England to a barely two lane road with the exact same 60mph national speed limit way up in the Scottish highlands. Which one of those was set "rationally"?

Speed limits are not simply set by whichever speed the average driver thinks is appropriate or wants to be appropriate. There are a long list of considerations taken into account, which may not be obvious, but that does not invalidate them.

Like it or not, the limit is the limit. If you want to go faster, go to a track or somewhere with a higher speed limit. Lack of self control is not an excuse.

KozmoNaut fucked around with this message at 23:29 on Sep 22, 2020

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Phanatic posted:

I was going 50 down roads with a speed limit of 50. I didn’t mean the streets in town, I was talking about the twisty country roads in rural England.

Which is something completely different from what I was talking about in the post you quoted.

Phanatic posted:

You’re misunderstanding me, and I didn’t say “able to go as fast as I want.” My point is that if you’re a competent driver, and you’re going as fast as you feel is safe for a road, *and* you aren’t speeding when you do it, then that’s a good sign because it means the speed limit was set appropriately for that road and not artificially low so it can be a revenue source.

95% of drivers consider themselves above average in competence.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

KozmoNaut posted:

Like it or not, the limit is the limit. If you want to go faster, go to a track or somewhere with a higher speed limit. Lack of self control is not an excuse.

So if I'm on the most boring freeway in the world, the 5 in Central California, where it's straight and flat as far as the eye can see, I should not go faster than 65?

And plenty of modern towns have roads with 55mph limits in them, I just got back from a week in one (Carlsbad) and it gave me the worst gas mileage my SUV has seen (speed up to 55mph, then hit a red light and wait for minutes, rinse and repeat).

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

MomJeans420 posted:

So if I'm on the most boring freeway in the world, the 5 in Central California, where it's straight and flat as far as the eye can see, I should not go faster than 65?

Unless you have the power to somehow change traffic laws on-the-fly, then yeah. Maybe that's "boring", but you can't always get what you want.

Lobby to have it raised if you want it raised, but the primary purpose of public roads is to get you from A to B, not to get your blood pumping.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

You haven't explained why I should follow traffic laws. Do you think legality and morality are the same thing? If I was gay and lived in Texas should I have avoided having sex in the early 2000s?

uvar
Jul 25, 2011

Avoid breathing
radioactive dust.
College Slice
Yesterday we had the first heavy rain for a while after some lovely spring weather but only a few drivers seemed to notice it, tailgating and risky merges at the speed limit with their lights off just like a regular commute. There were a few spots with hastily-erected roadwork-style speed limits slowing gradually down from ~65 mph to ~25 that again most people ignored because they couldn't see any actual roadwork; the petty part of me hopes some of them damaged their cars on the massive new potholes the signs were warning about.

MomJeans420 posted:

You haven't explained why I should follow traffic laws. Do you think legality and morality are the same thing? If I was gay and lived in Texas should I have avoided having sex in the early 2000s?

That is a really dumb comparison and nobody here is obligated to explain why you should obey traffic laws. Sounds like you have a bit of a lead foot though, have you tried not accelerating when approaching a long red light?

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

uvar posted:

That is a really dumb comparison and nobody here is obligated to explain why you should obey traffic laws. Sounds like you have a bit of a lead foot though, have you tried not accelerating when approaching a long red light?

So you're saying you don't have a good explanation for why one should do 65mph on an empty freeway with no one around other than the fact that some bureaucrat said 65mph makes as much sense there as it does on a crowded freeway in the middle of a city? By the way it's literally impossible to follow every law written in the US, so how are you choosing which ones to obey and which ones to ignore?

Also, please tell me the correct way to drive between these two lights. I haven't quite reached the ability to see red lights around the corner from almost a mile away.

Dylan16807
May 12, 2010

nm posted:

Rolling rights are quite dangerous for peds and cyclists.
For example:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=piWmcIB5vwI
That's not a rolling stop, that's going through at full speed.

Dylan16807
May 12, 2010

KozmoNaut posted:

There are a lot of roads where the speed limit is set lower than would immediately appear applicable or "rational" at first glance. For instance, there may be treacherous lines of sight, intersections with less than optimal geometry, nearby forests and historical animal tracks/crossings, there are plenty of reasons that may not be immediately obvious to the common driver, and which do not necessitate artificially reducing the comfort or apparent niceness of the road in order to reduce speeds.

Sure it does. People pay some attention to speed limit signs but if you actually prioritize safety you should adjust the road in those areas.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Just so you know, this is getting exhausting. You probably want to back away from the keyboard for today.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

KozmoNaut posted:

The whole point is to match appearance to reality. If the road feels like you should go faster, people are going to do it. That's just human nature, you have to work with it, not against it.

It's not artificially reducing anything, it's correcting the fact that the existing road design artificially increases driver confidence beyond the desired level.

I have never been able to understand how it's so controversial that the natural speed of the road should match the desired speed.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

KozmoNaut posted:

95% of drivers consider themselves above average in competence.

And if they feel going at the posted speed limit on a road is beyond their capabilities, then they should re-evaluate this. *Especially* in areas where the posted limit is below the 85th percentile speed.

KozmoNaut posted:

No. I am neither a robot nor a trained monkey and I will violate laws when it is appropriate (and yes, safety is a factor in appropriateness) to do so. I have even, in the past, smoked marijuana, and even had a drink before I turned 21.

Phanatic fucked around with this message at 02:58 on Sep 23, 2020

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

Phanatic posted:

So, this is my first experience in a vehicle that wants to turn me into one of those people I share a road with. Awful Mitsubishi crossover rental, the DRLs are bright enough that when you get in and it's twilight or cloudy you really think your headlights are on. And of course they're not, and of course that means your taillights aren't on either, but it's very easy to believe they are.

poo poo needs to be banned.

I feel like I must have driven the same thing a little while ago. Did a few hours at dusk and full dark on the highway before I realized what was going on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Entropist
Dec 1, 2007
I'm very stupid.

wolrah posted:

The whole point is to match appearance to reality. If the road feels like you should go faster, people are going to do it. That's just human nature, you have to work with it, not against it.

It's not artificially reducing anything, it's correcting the fact that the existing road design artificially increases driver confidence beyond the desired level.

I have never been able to understand how it's so controversial that the natural speed of the road should match the desired speed.

Haifisch posted:

I found some videos discussing this with examples from my area, traffic engineers in some places do take this into account:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ra_0DgnJ1uQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q57sa7tjSNk