Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dancer
May 23, 2011
Also install Will o'the Wisps.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010
Seconding the uranium mining and use, even if it's not your main power draw.

Definitely run as many centrifuges as you can fit to keep up with refinement, and turn all the uranium you can into bullets and nukes. Then nuke the world (after setting the trees on fire first).

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Platystemon posted:

Use tanks as storage chests.

Unironically, use cargo wagons as storage chests. I've used them in blueprints (and unlike tanks, they are blueprintable) as a way to centralize storage for intermediary products before passing those products out to the final row of assemblers. Just reserve slots for each item so you don't accidentally fill it up with one.

Also, if the mods every stop being a pain in my rear end, I'll finish my "weird logistics" run where I use zero belts or logistics bots (except for inventory purposes). Most of my designs have intermediary products being tossed into cargo wagons by thrower inserters, and then tossed into their final assemblers by more throwers.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

Do trees destroyed by explosions emit the same amount of pollution that they would if they were burned?

...would it be complex or difficult to mod nukes to have a perimeter effect which ignites the trees that aren't outright destroyed?

Fishbus
Aug 30, 2006

"Stuck in an RPG Pro-Tour"

LonsomeSon posted:

Do trees destroyed by explosions emit the same amount of pollution that they would if they were burned?

...would it be complex or difficult to mod nukes to have a perimeter effect which ignites the trees that aren't outright destroyed?

it should be pretty easy

Balsa
May 10, 2020

Turbo Nerd

ConfusedUs posted:

Unironically, use cargo wagons as storage chests. I've used them in blueprints (and unlike tanks, they are blueprintable) as a way to centralize storage for intermediary products before passing those products out to the final row of assemblers. Just reserve slots for each item so you don't accidentally fill it up with one.

Also, if the mods every stop being a pain in my rear end, I'll finish my "weird logistics" run where I use zero belts or logistics bots (except for inventory purposes). Most of my designs have intermediary products being tossed into cargo wagons by thrower inserters, and then tossed into their final assemblers by more throwers.

I liked the mod that had you build roads with depots so you had to really spread things out

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Balsa posted:

I liked the mod that had you build roads with depots so you had to really spread things out

Transport Drones! And I'm using that too!

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Mod request: Is it possible to add personal logistics to a spidertron so logistics bots will fill their trunk? I want to use spidertrons as rocket turrets, but I don't want to have to manually load them.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!
It looks like the nearest functional match, trains with logistic requester chests built in, required a good thousand lines of code. I don't think I've got the energy for that, even if I were to borrow the open source code they wrote.

Voxx
Jul 28, 2009

I'll give 'em a hold
and a break to breathe
And if they can't play nice
I won't play with 'em at all

KillHour posted:

Mod request: Is it possible to add personal logistics to a spidertron so logistics bots will fill their trunk? I want to use spidertrons as rocket turrets, but I don't want to have to manually load them.

this was called out and devs said they want this in but it didn't make 1.0

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer
Have to drive your car absolutely every chance you get. Make 20 so you’ll always have one on hand.

Jaktai
Apr 18, 2007

Install a mod with flare stacks and use them as your main light source.

Galvanik
Feb 28, 2013

KillHour posted:

I'm pretty sure if you put a disclaimer on Honk saying nobody could use it on streams and videos, the Factorio LP community would dissolve overnight.
Is getting crushed by trains really that big of a deal? I could count on two hands the number of times I've been run over by them in the years I've been playing.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
No, people just like the mod. It doesn't disturb the gameplay loop of base or mods in any way, and it's funny. It's funnier when the the train honks and you still get run over.

Khorne
May 1, 2002
Factorio: Captain Planet doesn't stand a chance.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Sep 22, 2020

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
I owe my brother big time for this!

Galvanik posted:

Is getting crushed by trains really that big of a deal? I could count on two hands the number of times I've been run over by them in the years I've been playing.

I went super heavy on trains in my K2 run, probably a couple hundred 1-1 trains constantly active.

I got smooshed a few times.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Galvanik posted:

The answer is more trains

LordAdakos
Sep 1, 2009
Just started a multiplayer game withy girlfriend who has never played before:
Her:
2 minutes in: " you can change your color??? I want to be teal!"
10 minutes in: " I'm having fun learning the controls and mining ore by hand!! Ooh I caught a fish "
60 minutes in, yelling: "We need more of everything!! Why are we out of iron plates again!??"

I'm excited to see how she reacts to her first biter attack.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Clark Nova posted:

Kerbal Space Program briefly had problems with some weirdo from the minecraft community putting stupid restrictions on his mods and they fixed it by making modders release under a permissive license
Flowerchild. Iirc it started with mod pack drama and spiraled from there. He would put code in his mods that would intentionally crash the game if you were running his mod along with certain mods that he didn't like, with the risk of corrupting your save file.

diremonk
Jun 17, 2008

I've been watching some of the vids from Nilaus and I noticed that in his blueprints he has the red and green wires running along all of the large power poles. I know that he does this in order to eventually be able to build the resource display, but does anyone else? Since it is part of my blueprint, the wires are free but is there any other reason to do this?

I'm doing another megabase run of K2 and I'm annoyed at how I built my cell design. First design was ok, but the intersections didn't seem very efficient even though it was two lanes in either direction. Scrapped that and went back to one lane per direction, but still am having issues. But that could be because of the poor placement of my depot. Before I get too deep, haven't started building blue research yet, is there a "best" intersection out there? I think I'm using a roundabout type one right now, but can rip them out easily if there is a better way.

Neon Noodle
Nov 11, 2016

there's nothing wrong here in montana
I just got this game and went through the tutorial levels, but I think I'm not getting the metagame/strategy on my first single player run. Is there a good YouTube series explaining how/why things work as they do, updated for the current version of the game?

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

There's no real metagame I'd say. Look what you need to research the next tier of stuff, build that.

If you're short on resources, build more production. :)

Balsa
May 10, 2020

Turbo Nerd

Collateral Damage posted:

There's no real metagame I'd say. Look what you need to research the next tier of stuff, build that.

Yep, when we yell THE FACTORY MUST GROW, its really just looking at what is being slow, looking at researching and making more of it!

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005

diremonk posted:

I've been watching some of the vids from Nilaus and I noticed that in his blueprints he has the red and green wires running along all of the large power poles. I know that he does this in order to eventually be able to build the resource display, but does anyone else? Since it is part of my blueprint, the wires are free but is there any other reason to do this?

I always include them on my rail blueprints, especially vanilla runs. I may only end up using them for a single purpose (eg fuel trains), but having them available beats having to go add them back if I didn't and then need them.

They're free in a blueprint so there's zero reason not to include them.

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

diremonk posted:

I'm doing another megabase run of K2 and I'm annoyed at how I built my cell design. First design was ok, but the intersections didn't seem very efficient even though it was two lanes in either direction. Scrapped that and went back to one lane per direction, but still am having issues. But that could be because of the poor placement of my depot. Before I get too deep, haven't started building blue research yet, is there a "best" intersection out there? I think I'm using a roundabout type one right now, but can rip them out easily if there is a better way.

The group I play with, we have a rail blueprint book and all the segments have power poles running down the middle with red and green wires attached. We have never actually used the wires. We discussed removing them from the blueprint, however since you get wires (including colored wires) for free when robots place a blueprint, we decided there's no real harm to keeping them

Xerophyte
Mar 17, 2008

This space intentionally left blank

diremonk posted:

It's pretty common for anyone who wants to do on-demand train stuff by enabling and disabling stations in vanilla, since having a global network lets you do logic on the status of very distant outposts.

There are other things you might want to condition on global status in some way. You could use it to turn off the belts on your most distant mines if there's still a lot of ore available in the network, or trigger rocket launches based on total space science in your base even if your labs are a train ride away from your rocket silo.

There's nothing super critical and personally I don't do it, mainly because I don't like how it makes you dependent on blueprint-only track construction and I find that always looks extremely boring. If you're taking a Nilaus-style square-the-world approach then having a global circuit network enables some neat things though.

Neon Noodle
Nov 11, 2016

there's nothing wrong here in montana

Collateral Damage posted:

Balsa posted:

Yep, when we yell THE FACTORY MUST GROW, its really just looking at what is being slow, looking at researching and making more of it!

Cool. OK, I will go where my heart takes me. :thumbsup:

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Neon Noodle posted:

I just got this game and went through the tutorial levels, but I think I'm not getting the metagame/strategy on my first single player run. Is there a good YouTube series explaining how/why things work as they do, updated for the current version of the game?

Factorio is a game of balance between expansion and optimization. At any given time, you (the player) must decide what is the most important task.

Do you need more iron? Go get some!
Are bugs breaking through your walls? Make more turrets, or maybe go on the offense in a tank!
Does everything seem stable? Perfect time to build/improve upon/optimize/automate something!
Running out of tech to research? Figure out what you need for the next tier of science, and build the infrastructure for that!

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."
Also worth noting that when the game says "Automate Everything," it's not kidding. Setting up automatic production of belts, inserters, assemblers, etc. is a really really good idea, even if you don't need them for science. You can restrict the chests to 1-2 stacks to save on resources, and they don't need to be produced quickly, but it's fantastic to decide that you want to build a new production line and be able to just go walk over to a chest and pick up everything you need to build that production line instead of hand-crafting all of that stuff.

It's also good practice for when you switch over to robots - you'll just need to hook those chests up to the logistics network and you're already ready to have bots build everything for you.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Neon Noodle posted:

Cool. OK, I will go where my heart takes me. :thumbsup:
Post screenshots. We love seeing proper spaghetti factories. :)

diremonk
Jun 17, 2008

quote:

If you're taking a Nilaus-style square-the-world approach then having a global circuit network enables some neat things though.

Yeah, that is where my last run ended up.

Was semi efficient though, only thing that was limiting my rocket launches was low density structures even with three cells devoted to making them.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

diremonk posted:

Yeah, that is where my last run ended up.

Was semi efficient though, only thing that was limiting my rocket launches was low density structures even with three cells devoted to making them.

LDS are always a huge bottleneck for me. Even when I think I have massively overbuilt them.. they end up being a problem at some point.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

Usually my problem is TOO MANY Mormons...

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Edit: bad joke.

The Locator fucked around with this message at 05:21 on Sep 23, 2020

Xerophyte
Mar 17, 2008

This space intentionally left blank
You should solve your too many Mormons problem by launching them in rockets like Factorio (and The Expanse). Now someone just needs to mod rocket control units to be temple garments...

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

Xerophyte posted:

You should solve your too many Mormons problem by launching them in rockets like Factorio (and The Expanse). Now someone just needs to mod rocket control units to be temple garments...

Factorio/Plague Inc mashup game where you play as the protomolecule W H E N

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge
May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"

The Locator posted:

:D That's what trains are for.

So this conversation is a bit weird but this post was flagged specifically. I hope I am interpreting correctly in that your joke here is that if you have too many of something you use trains to move it, like you might in Factorio. However, at least one person read it as 'if you have too many Mormon put them on trains, like the Holocaust' which I agree is concerning. I don't really know what to say here other than unfortunate choice of words, be mindful.

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
I read it as more trains == more likely to run over, per the earlier chat.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

I definitely read it as running all the mormons over with trains. Which... isn't much better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
It's a far cry from "holocaust them", and relevant to a recent chat.