Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug

Proteus Jones posted:

My only thought other than Grigori/Nephilim would be Longinus, who was doomed to walk the earth until Judgement Day as penance for piercing the side of Jesus

I never googled what that meant from Evangelion, that's wonderful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Proteus Jones posted:

My only thought other than Grigori/Nephilim would be Longinus, who was doomed to walk the earth until Judgement Day as penance for piercing the side of Jesus

Yeah, or Wandering Jew. But Longinus would be better since he would have seen the placard before.

Wizchine
Sep 17, 2007

Television is the retina
of the mind's eye.

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

It sounds like he's going for a.nephilim thing with Mac but I'm not sure what precisely. I feel like we would have the clues we needed now *if* I could see butcher's mythology bookshelf though.

Ahem. I think you just need to look up D&D's Deities & Demigods,

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Wizchine posted:

Ahem. I think you just need to look up D&D's Deities & Demigods,

The copy my group used back in the 90s belonged to a different guy so I never bought my own

Wizchine
Sep 17, 2007

Television is the retina
of the mind's eye.

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

The copy my group used back in the 90s belonged to a different guy so I never bought my own

I had the OG one with Cthulu, Elric, and Fafhrd and the Gray Mouser mythoi before TSR was threatened with lawsuits. Got rid of it decades ago, though...

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Wizchine posted:

I had the OG one with Cthulu, Elric, and Fafhrd and the Gray Mouser mythoi before TSR was threatened with lawsuits. Got rid of it decades ago, though...

Yup.that was the one!

One more on the list od "books i regret failing to steal "

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

Mac from the Dresden Files is Irish folk-hero Finn MacCool aka Fionn mac Cumhaill, calling it now.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

quantumfoam posted:

Mac from the Dresden Files is Irish folk-hero Finn MacCool aka Fionn mac Cumhaill, calling it now.

...and I have no willpower to stay away.

My own idea is that Mac is an Outsider. Or half-Outsider. Like that thing from The Dunwich Horror except he likes microbrew, good food and human civilization. The last time we saw The Sight really gently caress Harry up was in Turn Coat with the Naagloshi. Mac stopped Harry from using The Sight on his out of concern for Harry. So, probably not something that looks benign or comprehensible like a cool Irish folks hero. Seeing the True Form of an Outsider, though, even with his new Winter Knight stuff, that'd probably gently caress Harry up quite a bit at a time when Harry really doesn't need to be hosed up.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Wizchine posted:

Apparently the whole lawsuit thing is a little more complicated.

https://dmdavid.com/tag/the-true-story-of-the-cthulhu-and-elric-sections-removed-from-deities-demigods/

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

Chapter 3 was pretty fun and felt a lot closer to what a dresden book seems like. I will say the lines about the cops (do we have to spoil this?) wasn't great but wasn't this all written years ago before the current riots? I think a little slack can be given there if only because also I think I'd hope the cops would help against a Titan and goddamn aliens. . Definitely looking forward to the rest of the book and hope it will redeem the pretty awful peace talks.

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

Wizchine posted:

TSR published a Lankhmar sourcebook in case anyone wanted official D&D stats to import into more modern games.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lankhmar_%E2%80%93_City_of_Adventure

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes

Everyone posted:

...and I have no willpower to stay away.

My own idea is that Mac is an Outsider. Or half-Outsider. Like that thing from The Dunwich Horror except he likes microbrew, good food and human civilization. The last time we saw The Sight really gently caress Harry up was in Turn Coat with the Naagloshi. Mac stopped Harry from using The Sight on his out of concern for Harry. So, probably not something that looks benign or comprehensible like a cool Irish folks hero. Seeing the True Form of an Outsider, though, even with his new Winter Knight stuff, that'd probably gently caress Harry up quite a bit at a time when Harry really doesn't need to be hosed up.

I'd doubt it since Sharkface didn't call him a traitor or similar. You don't need to be evil to be dangerous to Sight, the angel in Ghost story also blocks him and says it would have hurt or killed him when he tries to See.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Darkrenown posted:

I'd doubt it since Sharkface didn't call him a traitor or similar. You don't need to be evil to be dangerous to Sight, the angel in Ghost story also blocks him and says it would have hurt or killed him when he tries to See.

That's also true enough. Hopefully we'll find out when the book releases. Really I'm just hoping that Mac isn't one of the casualties, but the whole "they'll have to go through Mac" leaves me more than a little nervous for him.

StonecutterJoe
Mar 29, 2016

NerdyMcNerdNerd posted:

Also, I just finished the last Daniel Faust and there's a point at which a reality-bending object defends itself by sending Daniel into an alternate reality that's like the old Batman cartoon meets UF with a dash of 'what if Hamilton was a better writer', written deliberately over the top, and it loving ruled.

It culminated in him thinking about who he was, and breaking the spell/alternate reality by remembering a running joke of a nickname that had been 'a pebble in the shoe of his mind' and it was a wonderful example of set-up/pay-off that caught me totally off guard.

The whole segment where he's talking to / interacting with the book that's transcribing reality was a lot of fun and made me laugh, which I really needed.

Seriously, read Daniel Faust.

I loved that bit and since he said his patreon was going to explore stories off the beaten path, I was really hoping the first one would be set in Chapter Tangerine.

(Though I can't really complain because it turned out to be a Ghosts of Gotham side-story that's even better than Ghosts of Gotham so far and possibly my favorite story from him. But I really want more of Daniel Faust as Anita Blake but also a cocaine-addicted superhero and also batman.)

Nickaroni
Feb 16, 2014

Darkrenown posted:

Notably, the only times we've seen something block or otherwise interfere with the Sight involved angels. The angel in Ghost Story shutting it down and Ursiel terminating Dresden's soul gaze* with his host in Death Masks.

*Not the same, but I get the impression soul gazes and the Sight are related

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

"Nothing a shitload of bleach won't fix"

Nickaroni posted:

Notably, the only times we've seen something block or otherwise interfere with the Sight involved angels. The angel in Ghost Story shutting it down and Ursiel terminating Dresden's soul gaze* with his host in Death Masks.

*Not the same, but I get the impression soul gazes and the Sight are related

We've only seen it with angels, but there's nothing that says it can't be something on a similar power level. He did look at the Summer and Winter Queens from a long ways off at one point and just saw "Power" so I'm thinking anything on a Fae queen or above level might be able to shut down his sight. Only angels give enough of a poo poo to actually stop him though.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

NerdyMcNerdNerd posted:

Seriously, read Daniel Faust.

Are they fairly quick reads? None of my libraries have him so I'm wondering if I can squeeze them all into a kindleunlimited 30 day trial.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes

Beachcomber posted:

Are they fairly quick reads? None of my libraries have him so I'm wondering if I can squeeze them all into a kindleunlimited 30 day trial.

Yeah, they're pretty quick. I have not specifically compared them, but my impression is they are shorter than Dresden books, for example.

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004

StonecutterJoe posted:

I loved that bit and since he said his patreon was going to explore stories off the beaten path, I was really hoping the first one would be set in Chapter Tangerine.

(Though I can't really complain because it turned out to be a Ghosts of Gotham side-story that's even better than Ghosts of Gotham so far and possibly my favorite story from him. But I really want more of Daniel Faust as Anita Blake but also a cocaine-addicted superhero and also batman.)

It ruled and I honestly kind of want to write something along those lines myself. It was just fun to read, in a way that kind of reminded me of Dresden at full stride.

Beachcomber posted:

I would compare them to something between Dresden and Verus, in terms of length. They tend not to dawdle or gently caress around, either. The chapters and scenes are fairly tight and I've honestly been studying their construction and the way the author budgets his words because they're very seamless and efficient with things like descriptions, quickly telling the reader about relationships between characters, etc.

I read 2-9, but the audiobook narrator isn't bad. I think most of the Harmony Black novels have free audio versions with Kindle Unlimited, but not Faust. Haven't read the Harmony Black novels yet, but intend to, soon.

Contrasting the relationship between her and Faust and Dresden and Murphy is interesting. Don't get me wrong, I like Dresden and Murphy, but Faust does the ideological conflict between a cop and someone who operates outside the law a lot better.

Also she steals his car. THE car. And he'll never let this go.

Similarly, Faust handles things like sex and relationships better than Verus or Dresden. I groaned internally at some of the stuff with Caitlin in book one, but. It isn't excessive? When I read 'succubus' I expect there to be a lot more, well. Suck. But though she's treated badly and a slave until he frees her, the way their relationship shapes up is actually pretty interesting. It feels... human? It feels like they're building trust, feeling each other out. It feels like it has real depth and you get to see that relationship grow, and how it affects both of them. It also ties into the story in ways that aren't hamfisted or dramatic so yeah.

Aside from Rivers, Daniel and Caitlin are hands down my favorite urban fantasy couple.

Fair warning: there is some sex in the first few books, but it is brief. Maybe a scene a book, but it's short and no more 'graphic' than a Nora Roberts novel. After the first time ( which actually does inform you somewhat about Daniel and Caitlin and who they are as characters, honestly ), it's largely allusion and fade to black. I'm not actual sure there's a second sex scene after the first one they have, and as mentioned, the first sex scene was actually narratively relevant. Which is something you don't get to say very often.

NerdyMcNerdNerd fucked around with this message at 15:30 on Sep 19, 2020

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo
I don't mind sex, even some pretty graphic sex, but one of the things that turned me off of Roberts's otherwise pretty fun J. D. Robb books was "...and the plot goes on hold for 10+ pages while Eve and Roark screw. Again." After enough of that the term "boring as gently caress(ing)" has real meaning.

My take is that sex should be spicy - as in used like a spice. A little goes a long way. One of the things I appreciated about Butcher was the relative lack of sex scenes even with the "male gazing."

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Everyone posted:

My take is that sex should be spicy - as in used like a spice. A little goes a long way. One of the things I appreciated about Butcher was the relative lack of sex scenes even with the "male gazing."

And the one sex scene he did have was done on a sort of dare to write one that's relevant to the plot.

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

ookiimarukochan posted:

Have to say that "cops are a beacon of civilisation during riots" was possibly the whitest thing I have ever seen expressed in print.

Having spent my entire life minus around 6 months outside the US, this is I think how normal societies view their law enforcement, ACAB-as-a-principle notwithstanding. Riots are scary if you’re not actually rioting, and sometimes even when you are.

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

lol when mac turns out to be literal satan and he's out of the conflict and just wants to make beer and drive a camaro in chicago

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Ramadu posted:

lol when mac turns out to be literal satan and he's out of the conflict and just wants to make beer and drive a camaro in chicago

I hope this isn't it if for no other reason than I'd have a bit of a headache trying to imagine Tom Ellis (from Lucifer where he plays the title role) as Mac.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Ramadu posted:

My latest WAG for McAnally is Oberon

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Plot twist. Mac is actually Uatu the Watcher.

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

Deptfordx posted:

Plot twist. Mac is actually Uatu the Watcher.

Mac is Stan Lee confirmed.

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

mastajake posted:

WHERE'S MY COFFEEE, JOEEEEEEEEEEYYYYYYY?

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

mastajake posted:

See, I was hoping Mac would be Jack Kirby so he could help Dresden by using the power of silly hats.

Ninurta
Sep 19, 2007
What the HELL? That's my cutting board.

I had some unused Kindle credits and picked up Titanshade by Dan Stout. Has anyone read it, it's the author's debut/1st in a trilogy. The setting is, well, I'll let the book blurb do it justice.

https://smile.amazon.com/Titanshade...&pd_rd_wg=55Voh

Carter's a homicide cop in Titanshade, an oil boomtown where 8-tracks are state of the art, disco rules the radio, and all the best sorcerers wear designer labels. It's also a metropolis teetering on the edge of disaster. As its oil reserves run dry, the city's future hangs on a possible investment from the reclusive amphibians known as Squibs.

But now negotiations have been derailed by the horrific murder of a Squib diplomat. The pressure's never been higher to make a quick arrest, even as Carter's investigation leads him into conflict with the city's elite. Undermined by corrupt coworkers and falsified evidence, and with a suspect list that includes power-hungry politicians, oil magnates, and mad scientists, Carter must find the killer before the investigation turns into a witch-hunt and those closest to him pay the ultimate price on the filthy streets of Titanshade.

The cherry on top is that the lead detective looks like Dean Winter's who wants to sell me All-state insurance right after solving the case.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound
First chapter of the next Alex Verus is out.

http://benedictjacka.co.uk/extracts/forged-chapter-1/

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

Now that? That was a good preview chapter.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

biracial bear for uncut posted:

I like how he's just torching a whole plot thread in the first chapter.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!
He did say he was going to resolve a lot of things in rapid order leading up to the end of the series.

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004
Finished the first Harmony Black novel.

It was good. It was pretty good, and had good female representation. Good set-up pay-off. Good dialogue that had a sense of character and chemistry and banter without being a sawed-off Whedon. And the villain at the end, and how it was resolved? Good.

My favorite part, having read all of Faust, was getting to see characters from Faust pop up again in Harmony's world. And it's interesting, taking the deep knowledge of the world from Faust, and seeing Harmony ( who knows much less than Faust ) learn things.

IF I HAD ONE COMPLAINT, it's the deputy who's name I can't remember because he's barely in the story. His only reason for being there seems to give Harmony a case of the Not Gays. I think I recall something about the publisher forcing him to put in some kind of romantic interest. If there had to be one, it would have been more interesting had it been Jesse, given the development she and Harmony get over the book.

I would recommend Harmony Black, especially to anyone who wants a book with more female representation without Big PNR energy.

You are my sunshine.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

NerdyMcNerdNerd posted:

I would recommend Harmony Black, especially to anyone who wants a book with more female representation without Big PNR energy.
I like the first two but the series takes a pretty deep dive after that.

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004

anilEhilated posted:

I like the first two but the series takes a pretty deep dive after that.

Could you tell me why without being too spoilery?

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

NerdyMcNerdNerd posted:

Could you tell me why without being too spoilery?
Plots get increasingly unimaginative, going for thriller or spy-fic spoofs where the fantasy element is just tacked on for no real reason, without doing anything interesting with it. YMMV, obviously.

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004

anilEhilated posted:

Plots get increasingly unimaginative, going for thriller or spy-fic spoofs where the fantasy element is just tacked on for no real reason, without doing anything interesting with it. YMMV, obviously.

Ah. A bad case of the X-Files.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

biracial bear for uncut posted:

So, in the opening chapters of Battle Ground, Dresden and friends battle and defeat the legendary Kracken and use one of the iconic artifacts of the Christian to secure a safe place for a bunch of people..

Meanwhile, in the single opening chapter of Forged, Verus uses his new superpowers to kill three trained but otherwise normal people. Calls in backup avoids a couple of traps and then his backup kills a helpless person. When he's engaged by a significant opponent he immediately retreats without engaging.

And yet far more stuff of much greater significant happened in that single first chapter than in all three of that from the Dresden Files book.

I read Dresden Files and I like it pretty well, but yeah, there's no question that there's better stuff out there. Oh and Jacka's book will probably cost less than half of what Butcher's will as it'll come out in Mass Market paperbook instead of hardcover.