Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Mischalaniouse posted:

I've probably gone too expensive with my parts, but I'm really willing to spend a lot so I don't mind, but perhaps I could get more bang for my buck? I don't know, I'm still pretty new to this.

If someone could take a look and make sure I've not made any serious errors in my choices and maybe make suggestions, I'd appreciate it.

Don't buy a 2070 right now, the 3000 series cards are just coming out and are a massive improvement. You may not be able to get a 3070 for 6 weeks to 2 months based on the 3080 clusterfuck, but it's not worth buying a full price 2070 now.

You can either re-use whatever GPU you have now, or just wait on the whole build for a couple months (which might be cool as new AMD CPUs are also being announced on Oct 8, though when they'll be available who knows).

Aside from that, I'd suggest a NVMe SSD for your main drive. A WD SN550 is a decent drive to get NVMe at hardly more money than sata.

Kunabomber posted:

Hello friend, I have a node 202 as well with terminal brain disease that causes me to search out for better ways to cool the GPU.

You might want to either use a water cooled solution or slap an Arctic Accelero Xtreme III onto the PCB to get rid of all that heat.

I doubt the standard aftermarket coolers like an Arctic Accelero will work on founder's edition cards, the short PCB at least will be an issue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Professor Funk
Aug 4, 2008

WE ALL KNOW WHAT NEEDS TO HAPPEN

Suburban Dad posted:

Chiming in to say "don't pay that for windows, buy it from some guy in SAmart for ten bucks." I don't think anybody had mentioned it but it'll save you a bunch of dough.

Good call. Thanks.

I suppose I'll wait and see if I can finagle a 3070 somehow, or maybe I will try to do EVGA's step up program. So from my read, if I went ahead and bought this, I could just initiate the upgrade to the 3070 through EVGA at no additional cost since it comes out within 90 days of the purchase? Does anyone know if it applies to things bought from third party retailers like NewEgg or only to items purchased directly from EVGA? I NewEgg works, but I looked on EVGA's website and it didn't say specifically.

If anyone has any other comments on the build, e.g. the motherboard, definitely would appreciate any advice. Otherwise...I might start ordering parts pretty soon. Thank you everyone!

Professor Funk fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Sep 22, 2020

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
So I built my rig 6 or so years ago, and while I upgraded my GPU along the way haven't really touched anything else. Was thinking about buying a new CPU and RAM, but then discovered my board's socket is intel 1150 and most modern day stuff seems to be 1151 - seems like I got it just before 1151 was introduced, too, lmao. So I need to upgrade my mobo, and while I know I can't future-proof, I wanna make sure I avoid any pitfalls. This is my first time actually upgrading a rig rather than just buying a new one outright, is there anything major I should be aware of?

Computer is mostly used for gaming and game development, I'm a pleb with a lousy 1080p monitor and honestly don't care that much to upgrade to 4k, even though I know I'll get forced into it eventually. Here's my current setup in case there's any red flags I'm blissfully unaware of:

Windows 10 64-bit
CPU: Intel Core i5 4690 @ 3.50GHz
Motherboard: ASRock H97M Pro4
RAM: 8.00GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 666MHz
Storage: 465GB Samsung SSD 840 EVO 500GB SATA SSD, 931GB Western Digital WDC WD10EZEX-08M2NA0 (SATA )
GPU: 2047MB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 6GB
PSU is Rosewill, forget the specific model but is 650W.

CodfishCartographer fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Sep 22, 2020

mmkay
Oct 21, 2010

While you just missed only one socket change (well two now), there were a bunch of chipset changes, so you'd have to upgrade the MB anyway.

mmkay fucked around with this message at 19:04 on Sep 22, 2020

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
What price am I looking at for a 2tb NVME SSD in Canada funbux? I dont want to get stiffed by an in-store price.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

CodfishCartographer posted:

So I built my rig 6 or so years ago, and while I upgraded my GPU along the way haven't really touched anything else. Was thinking about buying a new CPU and RAM, but then discovered my board's socket is intel 1150 and most modern day stuff seems to be 1151 - seems like I got it just before 1151 was introduced, too, lmao. So I need to upgrade my mobo, and while I know I can't future-proof, I wanna make sure I avoid any pitfalls. This is my first time actually upgrading a rig rather than just buying a new one outright, is there anything major I should be aware of?

Computer is mostly used for gaming and game development, I'm a pleb with a lousy 1080p monitor and honestly don't care that much to upgrade to 4k, even though I know I'll get forced into it eventually. Here's my current setup in case there's any red flags I'm blissfully unaware of:

Windows 10 64-bit
CPU: Intel Core i5 4690 @ 3.50GHz
Motherboard: ASRock H97M Pro4
RAM: 8.00GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 666MHz
Storage: 465GB Samsung SSD 840 EVO 500GB SATA SSD, 931GB Western Digital WDC WD10EZEX-08M2NA0 (SATA )
GPU: 2047MB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 6GB
PSU is Rosewill, forget the specific model but is 650W.

If you give us a price target we can build a machine for you.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

orange juche posted:

If you give us a price target we can build a machine for you.

Around 500-600 I'd say, since I'd like to re-use as much as I can. Obviously that's not enough to build a whole thing but hence why I'd like to use it to upgrade instead.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Arcsquad12 posted:

What price am I looking at for a 2tb NVME SSD in Canada funbux? I dont want to get stiffed by an in-store price.

Looks like about $350-$450 but Memory Express has the SX8200 Pro on for 300 right now! https://www.memoryexpress.com/Products/MX78633

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Around 500-600 I'd say, since I'd like to re-use as much as I can. Obviously that's not enough to build a whole thing but hence why I'd like to use it to upgrade instead.

For 500 bucks I'd be hard pressed.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 3.6 GHz 6-Core Processor ($204.99 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: Gigabyte B550M AORUS PRO Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard ($119.99 @ B&H)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3600 CL18 Memory ($59.58 @ Newegg)
Storage: Crucial P1 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive ($104.99 @ Adorama)
Power Supply: SeaSonic FOCUS Gold 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-modular ATX Power Supply ($107.98 @ Newegg)
Total: $597.53
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-09-22 16:06 EDT-0400

A new motherboard and CPU, and a 1TB NVME drive are the highlights of this price point which takes you from 4 cores 4 threads to 6 cores 12 threads, I can't get you a GPU that will beat your 1060 6GB, so I won't try. I threw a power supply in there since I don't know how old your current one is.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

orange juche posted:

PCPartPicker Part List

Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3600 CL18 Memory ($59.58 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: SeaSonic FOCUS Gold 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-modular ATX Power Supply ($107.98 @ Newegg)

A new motherboard and CPU, and a 1TB NVME drive are the highlights of this price point which takes you from 4 cores 4 threads to 6 cores 12 threads, I can't get you a GPU that will beat your 1060 6GB, so I won't try. I threw a power supply in there since I don't know how old your current one is.

The Crucial P1 is worse than the SN550 and exactly the same price.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

orange juche posted:

PCPartPicker Part List

Thanks for taking the time to help out with this!

Yeah I'm fine with my current GPU. My current PSU is like 6 years old, so I guess time to replace? I'm not sure how long PSUs tend to be good for. Is new storage really necessary? I mean more storage is always nice (especially going to full ssd) but I'm not anywhere near full on my current drives. Although I suppose they are getting old so it wouldn't hurt.

I haven't actually totally replaced a drive before, I assume I can just move all my poo poo + install of windows over to the new one?

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

sean10mm posted:

The Crucial P1 is worse than the SN550 and exactly the same price.

Well then go with the SN550. It appears the WD SN550 uses a better controller than the Crucial P1. Neither of them use QLC NAND, which is the main thing I was trying to ensure at the 100 dollar price point, because QLC NAND is bad for main drives, or just drives in general since it has low endurance.

orange juche fucked around with this message at 21:47 on Sep 22, 2020

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

orange juche posted:

Well then go with the SN550.

It's not the end of the world, the P1 is just one of those old suggestions that never died out even when it stopped being a bargain at some point. :shrug:

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

I haven't actually totally replaced a drive before, I assume I can just move all my poo poo + install of windows over to the new one?

Install the M.2 drive in the new PC, and plug in your old SSD and then ensure you boot off the old SSD, then you can migrate over the data via a tool that is available on the manufacturer's website, which will clone everything on your old SSD to the new one. Then you reboot onto your new M.2 SSD and format your old one if you don't need to keep the old drive intact.

Pegnose Pete
Apr 27, 2005

the future
Is there any reason to step up from an SN550 for gaming and general performance? The Black SN750 is considerably more expensive and PCIe 4 seems to be mostly hypothetical improvement.

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text
Somewhat of a sanity check on a budget gaming build for a friend. He used to PC game wayyyy back when, but fell off of it for the last ~15 years. He kind of wants to get back into it. For the sake of this build, assume 1080p and ~$600 budget

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 2600 3.4 GHz 6-Core Processor ($144.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: *MSI B450M PRO-M2 MAX Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard ($78.98 @ Newegg)
Memory: *Team T-FORCE VULCAN Z 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory ($53.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: *TCSunBow X3 480 GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($43.99 @ Amazon)
Video Card: Asus GeForce GTX 1650 SUPER 4 GB TUF Gaming OC Video Card ($173.98 @ Newegg)
Case: Deepcool MATREXX 30 MicroATX Mini Tower Case ($39.99 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: *Corsair CXM (2015) 450 W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-modular ATX Power Supply ($69.98 @ Amazon)
Total: $605.90
*Lowest price parts chosen from parametric criteria
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-09-22 17:08 EDT-0400

The only thing I was thinking was to maybe recommend breaking the budget a bit for a 3600 and maybe bumping up to a 1TB drive if he plans on downloading a lot of newer games... but I'm not sure. Any thoughts?

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Pegnose Pete posted:

Is there any reason to step up from an SN550 for gaming and general performance? The Black SN750 is considerably more expensive and PCIe 4 seems to be mostly hypothetical improvement.

No. There isn't a noticeable difference with a SATA SSD either and those can be like 5 times slower in benchmarks. The only time I've ever noticed it was with Doom 2016 where loading times are a few seconds faster with NVME.

avantgardener
Sep 16, 2003

Any thoughts on this build? It's just a budget desktop PC for my dad. He'd be doing general internet stuff plus some music recording via a USB device he uses (hence the DVD drive). I've got an old Dell 24" monitor he can have. It needs to be wireless as he'll be using it well away from his home router.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3 3200G 3.6 GHz Quad-Core Processor (£85.49 @ Amazon UK)
Motherboard: *MSI B450M PRO-VDH MAX Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard (£69.98 @ Amazon UK)
Memory: *Patriot Viper 4 Blackout 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 CL16 Memory (£51.98 @ Amazon UK)
Storage: *Crucial P2 500 GB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive (£53.30 @ Amazon UK)
Case: Fractal Design Core 1000 USB 3.0 MicroATX Mid Tower Case (£42.46 @ Scan.co.uk)
Power Supply: *be quiet! System Power 9 500 W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply (£44.98 @ CCL Computers)
Optical Drive: *Asus DRW-24D5MT DVD/CD Writer (£15.18 @ Aria PC)
Wireless Network Adapter: *TP-Link TL-WN881ND PCIe x1 802.11a/b/g/n Wi-Fi Adapter (£12.98 @ Amazon UK)
Keyboard: *Logitech K120 - UK Layout Wired Standard Keyboard (£10.83 @ Aria PC)
Mouse: *Logitech M170 Wireless Optical Mouse (£10.90 @ Amazon UK)
Total: £398.08
*Lowest price parts chosen from parametric criteria
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-09-22 22:44 BST+0100

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

orange juche posted:

Well then go with the SN550. It appears the WD SN550 uses a better controller than the Crucial P1. Neither of them use QLC NAND, which is the main thing I was trying to ensure at the 100 dollar price point, because QLC NAND is bad for main drives, or just drives in general since it has low endurance.

No, the Crucial P1 uses QLC.

e:

GTO posted:

Any thoughts on this build? It's just a budget desktop PC for my dad. He'd be doing general internet stuff plus some music recording via a USB device he uses (hence the DVD drive). I've got an old Dell 24" monitor he can have. It needs to be wireless as he'll be using it well away from his home router.
For parent PCs that don't need any gaming or other major GPU power, many goons ITT have done well with intel NUC mini-pcs. They're about the same price but tiny and quiet. The DVD writer is a miss, but those work just fine over USB these days.

Klyith fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Sep 22, 2020

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

spunkshui posted:

3070 build at the absolute most should be more then fine with 650watt PSU so you are totally good with room to spare by getting that 660.
The 650 number NVidia is recommending for that card is accounting for people with crappy PSUs strapped to 20-30 case fans.

Klyith posted:

The 660 watt Ion will be enough for a 3900X + 3070, nvidia's spec requirements are only 650 and are covering for way crappier PSUs.

On this point, I'm toying with upgrading my system. 6600k + 3070, currently with a Corsair 550RMx. Thoughts? Should i be budgeting for a new PSU?

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Boxman posted:

On this point, I'm toying with upgrading my system. 6600k + 3070, currently with a Corsair 550RMx. Thoughts? Should i be budgeting for a new PSU?

A high-quality 550 like that will be fine for the 3070. With the 3070 stock TDP well under 300W, your total system power should be easily under 450.

We'll have to wait for reviews to see how much OCing boosts the power draw of the 3070. I strongly doubt it would add another 100W, but before OCing you should review your power budget and make sure the PSU isn't behind clogged dust filters etc.

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....
Just ball parking but how important is a USB-C port in the front going to be in the next 5 or so years? I keep going back and forth over cases.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

You can get usb to usb-c adapters.

lampey
Mar 27, 2012

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

Well I'm starting with a video card that comes with a generous return policy. If that doesn't work then I'll go these other ways. I'd be more inclined to just back off trying to use Thunderbolt cables for everything and resort to an HDMI-based KVM; hopefully the performance of USB on those is good enough for all the crap I'd shove into it. I see a lot of old USB ports that just assume you'll feed it a keyboard and mouse.

The reason changing the motherboard turns me off is because I think I'll have to deal with all this:

1. Changing the motherboard itself.
2. Probably changing the processor because I doubt I'll find a motherboard for the processor I'm using that supports Thunderbolt 3.
3. Probably buying new RAM since these sticks would also not be compatible.
4. Moving everything into a minitower case so I can mount that ASUS card that'll route my graphics card into Thunderbolt.
5. Getting pants'd by Win10 licensing when it won't allow me to boot my OS from what we all know is a really whole new computer.

I'll report back in, like, a week and we can probably have a chuckle at my expense. Alternately, we learn something new? Also, maybe... the new graphics card will make Flight Simulator 2020 go vroom vroom and I won't be able to part with it derp derp derp...

Get a dual monitor KVM, or a KVM that supports display port with MST if at least one of your Dell monitors support MST and daisy chain them. Daisy chaining is slightly less clutter. The dual monitor HDMI KVM is probably cheaper. Then you can get whatever video card you want instead of just looking at ones that do USB C/thunderbolt.

A Dell U3818DW actually has an integrated KVM and can support two additional monitors. UP2718Q also works as a KVM but in a slightly different way, both are pretty expensive if your work is not paying for it.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

orange juche posted:

Install the M.2 drive in the new PC, and plug in your old SSD and then ensure you boot off the old SSD, then you can migrate over the data via a tool that is available on the manufacturer's website, which will clone everything on your old SSD to the new one. Then you reboot onto your new M.2 SSD and format your old one if you don't need to keep the old drive intact.

Good to know it's relatively easy! Only part I'm unsure on is how do I choose which SSD to boot fom?

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Good to know it's relatively easy! Only part I'm unsure on is how do I choose which SSD to boot fom?

Boot to bios. Find Boot section.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

My ssd didn't come with any software that I knew of so I just downloaded something called Macrium. It's free and let's you make a clone to your new ssd, windows install and all.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Mu Zeta posted:

My ssd didn't come with any software that I knew of so I just downloaded something called Macrium. It's free and let's you make a clone to your new ssd, windows install and all.

Macrium is the good one.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro
Here is what I've decided on:

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 3.6 GHz 8-Core Processor ($294.99 @ Amazon)
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-U9S 46.44 CFM CPU Cooler ($59.95 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: ASRock B550 Pro4 ATX AM4 Motherboard ($134.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3600 CL18 Memory ($117.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Western Digital Blue SN550 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive ($104.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Western Digital Black 4 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($149.99 @ Amazon)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce RTX 3080 10 GB XC3 BLACK GAMING Video Card
Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro ATX Full Tower Case ($99.99 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: SeaSonic FOCUS Plus Gold 850 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($156.98 @ Newegg)
Optical Drive: LG WH16NS60 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer ($100.98 @ Newegg)
Case Fan: Cooler Master R4-S2S-124K-GP 44.73 CFM 120 mm Fans 4-Pack ($17.98 @ Amazon)
UPS: CyberPower CP1500AVRLCD UPS ($154.94 @ Amazon)
Total: $1393.77
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-09-22 21:24 EDT-0400

Gonna use the 1070 I have now until 3080s loosen up. May gamble on a 3070 and try EVGA's Step Up program, if there is any better availability there.

Plan is for high-end gaming at 1080p, but will upgrade to 4k/VR in the next year. Also use the PC as the primary media center, hence the BD drive.

Anything glaringly wrong?

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

What’s the spinner disk for? Unless it’s for something particularly specialized no way in hell I’d pay that for a 4TB drive.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

Klyith posted:

A high-quality 550 like that will be fine for the 3070. With the 3070 stock TDP well under 300W, your total system power should be easily under 450.

We'll have to wait for reviews to see how much OCing boosts the power draw of the 3070. I strongly doubt it would add another 100W, but before OCing you should review your power budget and make sure the PSU isn't behind clogged dust filters etc.

Good times. Thanks for the reply (and for being so great in this thread!)

Javes
May 6, 2012

ASK ME ABOUT APPEARING OFFLINE SO I DON'T HAVE TO TELL FRIENDS THEY'RE NOT GOOD ENOUGH FOR MY VIDEO GAME TEAM.

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

Here is what I've decided on:

PCPartPicker Part List

Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3600 CL18 Memory ($117.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Western Digital Blue SN550 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive ($104.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Western Digital Black 4 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($149.99 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: SeaSonic FOCUS Plus Gold 850 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($156.98 @ Newegg)
Case Fan: Cooler Master R4-S2S-124K-GP 44.73 CFM 120 mm Fans 4-Pack ($17.98 @ Amazon)
Total: $1393.77
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-09-22 21:24 EDT-0400

Gonna use the 1070 I have now until 3080s loosen up. May gamble on a 3070 and try EVGA's Step Up program, if there is any better availability there.

Plan is for high-end gaming at 1080p, but will upgrade to 4k/VR in the next year. Also use the PC as the primary media center, hence the BD drive.

IMO it would be worthwhile to use CL16 memory.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

You have a massive full ATX case but appear to have chosen an dinky space-saving 90mm heatsink. Perhaps you meant to pick the Noctua U14S?

The U9S, despite being made by noctua, is gonna be worse than a basic Hyper 212 or other 120mm heatsink. There's no substitute for size. that's what she said

Javes posted:

It's an extremely minimal 0.5% or less difference to performance.

lampey
Mar 27, 2012

Scythe Fuma 2 is comparable to the bigger Noctua coolers, dual tower dual fan, also $60

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

I saw a few people here getting after market coolers for the 3700x. Should I too? Is the Wraith Prism not that good?

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

It's functionally fine it's just louder than aftermarkets

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

hambeet posted:

I saw a few people here getting after market coolers for the 3700x. Should I too? Is the Wraith Prism not that good?

e;fb - but I believe the two lines of thought are:
1) all things being equal, the larger, after-market coolers are overkill on most systems, allowing them to run whisper quiet
2) modern processors are designed to :airquote: overclock :airquote: themselves as long as they don't hit their thermal threshold, so bigger cooler equals higher threshold equals faster burst cpu

Kingnothing posted:

What’s the spinner disk for? Unless it’s for something particularly specialized no way in hell I’d pay that for a 4TB drive.

Being a child of the Napster Era I have a lot of media and my wife occasionally needs to record HD for work. I am also old enough to remember when 7600rpm drives were ~the hotness~ so I don't mind putting older or retro games on a platter just to keep them around. Sonic the Hedgehog 2 doesn't need my SSD.
:shrug:

1TB is a big drive, but within the next ten years that will probably be 2 or 3 games, so I like the breathing room it gives. I have also been the victim of lovely ISPs enough times that I like keeping my digital library somewhere accessible in case the internet goes out and I want to watch a movie/show. My current PC has ~3.2TB out of 3.75TB, so going to 5TB overall makes me much more comfortable.

I also just love making lovely decisions about hard drives: [ASK ME] about my triple drive RAID 0 WD Raptor array from 2005. :pcgaming:

Javes posted:

Klyith posted:

You have a massive full ATX case but appear to have chosen an dinky space-saving 90mm heatsink. Perhaps you meant to pick the Noctua U14S?

The U9S, despite being made by noctua, is gonna be worse than a basic Hyper 212 or other 120mm heatsink. There's no substitute for size. that's what she said

It's an extremely minimal 0.5% or less difference to performance.

Thanks for the advice...since I will have the option to upgrade to the new CPUs eventually, $15 extra for the CL16 doesn't sound too bad. :shrug:

Here's the changes...went ahead and snagged the PSU since they've been going in-and-out of availability. Now to play the waiting game on an RTX30X0. :f5:
PCPartPicker Part List

CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-U14S 82.52 CFM CPU Cooler ($63.75 @ Amazon)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3600 CL16 Memory ($138.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $1418.57
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-09-23 03:00 EDT-0400

edit: speaking of old, the last time I installed a big cooler was when the Tuniq Tower came out and I thought it was going to snap the mainboard PCB in half! PC Partpicker is telling me ~The Noctua NH-U14S 82.52 CFM CPU Cooler may require a separately available mounting adapter to fit the ASRock B550 Pro4 ATX AM4 Motherboard~, I assume that is the one included?

Toxic Fart Syndrome fucked around with this message at 08:29 on Sep 23, 2020

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

Okay thanks all. So what's a good cooler for the 3700x? My case probably has no more than 160mm clearance above the CPU. I was looking at an AIO mainly for the RGB factor to annoy my beloved wife, but I don't know if they're good or not.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

hambeet posted:

Okay thanks all. So what's a good cooler for the 3700x? My case probably has no more than 160mm clearance above the CPU. I was looking at an AIO mainly for the RGB factor to annoy my beloved wife, but I don't know if they're good or not.

I'm regularly tempted to get an AIO, but until you get into the better 280mm models they really seem flatly worse than the Noctua tower coolers at everything but looking baller. Which is a fair reason to get one, but even the better 240mm AIOs often have worse thermals than a U14S while being louder, never mind the big chonk D15.

You can kind of WELL ACTUALLY about water cooling having the advantage of taking longer to reach whatever their peak temperature is, and how real life loads are up and down rather than continuous beatings like in benchmarks, but when our more "upscale" recommendation here is a 65W TDP 3700X (or whatever the Zen 3 version of that ends up being) that's academic anyway.

If I bought a 10900K overclocking toy/space heater from 1977 then I'd probably totally stick whatever the most baller 420mm AIO I could get on it and go :catdrugs: but at that point you're committed to burning money just for the gently caress of it anyway and our usual arguments about value for dollar are out the window.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.
To put it more simply, an AIO cooler is a solution to “the big air cooler doesn’t fit” or “the big air cooler is ugly”.

Those are valid problems to solve, but understand that those are the problems you are solving and throwing money at.