Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

GrossMurpel posted:

Kinda hard to make a blue whale jump over a kid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StillFullyTerrible
Feb 16, 2020

you should have left Let's Play open for public view, Lowtax

Phlegmish posted:

Willy was an orca? Why didn't they pick one of the relatively peaceful plankton-eating whales instead? Even a rapist dolphin would have been better, orcas are insanely bloodthirsty.

there are no recorded incidents of orcas killing humans in the wild

of the 4 orca-related deaths in captivity, 3 were due to the same orca

the vast majority of orca attacks in the wild are also retaliatory in nature, and are done against ships, not the individual humans

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

StillFullyTerrible posted:

That's because they're smart enough to make it look like a shark attack and not to leave witnesses.

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer
They're careful not to leave remains, no one knows it was an orca attack because there's no body to test if it's an orca attack. Every ship that mysteriously disappeared without a trace was actually an orca pod attack. WAKE UP SHEEPLE THEY'VE DECLARED WAR ON US.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Do cum whales attack orcas

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

The Bermuda Triangle? Where do you think orcas like to hang out? Think about it, sheeple :smuggo:

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

the vast majority of orca attacks in the wild are also retaliatory in nature, and are done against ships, not the individual humans

guess theres only two cool orcas :(

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

I amend my question to, why do bloodthirsty orcas inexplicably respect humans so much

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

An apex predator recognizing the ultimate predator.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Game recognize game.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

Hardly, Orca hunt motherfucking sharks and Humans eat the planet.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Individual humans are incredibly defenseless and easy to kill, but also if you try they might come back with 200 of their buddies who slaughter you with bazookas and flamethrowers

However, I would expect an animal to realize the former before realizing the latter

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

That's why tigers are stupid while the orca are wise, and look our toothy whale chums even have the good taste to never compete with us on land rights.

Any predator that even thinks about taking territory from us will end up as rugs! :black101:

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

North America faced with 'time-bomb' of millions of 'super pigs'

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Feral hog man was onto something

Veni Vidi Ameche!
Nov 2, 2017

by Fluffdaddy

I read that his supper pigs, and frankly I like it better that way.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Veni Vidi Ameche! posted:

I read that his supper pigs, and frankly I like it better that way.

That is definitely a possible outcome.

StillFullyTerrible
Feb 16, 2020

after orcas destroy or damage boats, they will often swim in circles around the humans floating on the flotsam/lifeboats or damaged craft and slap the water with their tails

if you kill the humans, they will regard you as a threat and hunt you. if you rough them up and let them go, they will bring word back to their people not to gently caress with you

yes, studies have indicated orcas have complex enough social intelligence to understand this strategy

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
We're probably going to drive them to extinction through climate change so them beating the poo poo out of a few of us every now and again seems only fair.

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

2016, National Geographic:

Humpback Whales, now less endangered by humans than earlier revealed to be altruistic defenders of all life against fearsome killer Orcas

https://api.nationalgeographic.com/distribution/public/amp/news/2016/08/humpback-whales-save-animals-killer-whales-explained

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

https://twitter.com/phil_lewis_/status/1308393731440214016?s=21

Pope Hilarius II
Nov 10, 2008

Reminds me of the pigoons from Atwood's MadAddam trilogy, basically pigs genetically engineered to contain human organs and some brain tissue as resources for organ transplantation. After the bio-apocalypse kills 99% of all human beings, the pigoons turn out to be near-sentient and very competitive with what's remained of the human race.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Pope Hilarius II posted:

Reminds me of the pigoons from Atwood's MadAddam trilogy, basically pigs genetically engineered to contain human organs and some brain tissue as resources for organ transplantation. After the bio-apocalypse kills 99% of all human beings, the pigoons turn out to be near-sentient and very competitive with what's remained of the human race.
*sapient. Even plants are sentient. Near-sentient would mean they almost react to external stimuli.
Well I never.

StillFullyTerrible
Feb 16, 2020

Splicer posted:

*sapient. Even plants are sentient. Near-sentient would mean they almost react to external stimuli.

Plants are not sentient, and neither are several varieties of animal such as sponges. Sentience is not "can react to external stimuli" it's "is capable of feeling." Lacking any kind of nervous system or analogous structure means something doesn't have sentience.

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Strength and speed, that's why you're a special agent.

“Hey baby, do these mangled bodies make you want to sleep with me?” :stare:

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Plants are not sentient, and neither are several varieties of animal such as sponges. Sentience is not "can react to external stimuli" it's "is capable of feeling." Lacking any kind of nervous system or analogous structure means something doesn't have sentience.
Rather than get into a massive argument about the semantic differences between reaction, perception, and feeling, and whether the complex chemical processes that go on in plants count as a nervous system analogue, can we agree that normal pigs are definitely sentient (and are arguably already sapient)

Splicer has a new favorite as of 23:02 on Sep 22, 2020

StillFullyTerrible
Feb 16, 2020

Some species of pig pass the mirror test so definitely sapient.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

I haven't passed it yet but I'm trying again next month

e: who is that handsome fellow and why is he in my house

StillFullyTerrible
Feb 16, 2020

One of my favorite facts about the mirror test is that gorillas pass the test, but a silverback gorilla will still engage in threat posturing at his own reflection, because while that is probably just him in the mirror, he cannot be 100% sure that it's not another silverback pretending to be his reflection

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Phlegmish posted:

I haven't passed it yet but I'm trying again next month

e: who is that handsome fellow and why is he in my house

Hi sorry needed some bread

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

One of my favorite facts about the mirror test is that gorillas pass the test, but a silverback gorilla will still engage in threat posturing at his own reflection, because while that is probably just him in the mirror, he cannot be 100% sure that it's not another silverback pretending to be his reflection

Much like me in front of my monitor

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Left is tinder profile, right is real life

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.
https://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/wales-news/broadband-powys-village-television-aberhosan-18974787

Second-hand TV disrupts broadband for entire Welsh village for 18 months

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

FBC teams are on the way

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

https://twitter.com/ambiej/status/1308472053037707264

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

One eccentric socialite is to blame for California's wild pig problem

Gotta love the stuff that gets called “eccentric” when a rich person does it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Strength and speed, that's why you're a special agent.

Platystemon posted:

One eccentric socialite is to blame for California's wild pig problem

Gotta love the stuff that gets called “eccentric” when a rich person does it.

Don't remember who said it but there's a very correct line about how the only difference between crazy and eccentric is money.

Fake edit: it may have been John Cleese's character in Rat Race or at least I'm pretty sure that's where I got the sentiment as a child if it wasn't actually a line.