Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009

I know that leather shop!!! Definitely either a front for money laundering or it's got a fetish dungeon in the back room. I've been walking past it twice a day every day for 7 years and never a single customer inside but lots of glowing online reviews about the supple quality of the leather and the excellent service they received.

It is opposite the warhammer shop in Liverpool Central so perhaps a cynical move on their part to try and create a one stop shop for the sort of people who would buy a full length leather duster for £300

the sex ghost fucked around with this message at 08:27 on Sep 23, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Lol

https://twitter.com/faisalislam/status/1308649220304445446?s=19
https://twitter.com/faisalislam/status/1308653109720342528?s=19

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
Lol in other news the bbc has a story about how we've locked up 500 uni freshers in a building for 2 weeks.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-tayside-central-54261668

I can't see how this isn't going to be every single accommodation block in the country soon.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

blunt posted:

My late 60s centrist dad got very excited when he saw an advert for it and was then immediately deflated when he realised it was on BritBox.

That's hilarious. Who the gently caress would even subscribe to something called BritBox? The target gammons either don't know how streaming subscriptions work or get all of their entertainment from the various UKTV channels anyway.

notaspy
Mar 22, 2009

Jose posted:

Lol at the New statesman writer hoping to score reef points and getting owned

https://twitter.com/CherylMorgan/status/1308495224923197441?s=19

This is a great source, ty for posting it.

I hav watched philosophytube's take on the issue, which is basically the same as this, but it'd didn't hit the nail on the head as well as this did.

I have the misfortune of being related to a TERF and a FART so sometimes struggle with countering their bullshit with little more than "gently caress off you hateful shits".

Wolfsbane
Jul 29, 2009

What time is it, Eccles?

Someone remind me why Luke Akehurst is a piece of poo poo? He's on two of the NEC lists my CLP is supposed to be voting on tonight. One of them is just him in fact. I know he's one of the pro-war blairites but I vaguely remember there being more to it than that.

MeinPanzer
Dec 20, 2004
anyone who reads Cinema Discusso for anything more than slackjawed trolling will see the shittiness in my posts

NotJustANumber99 posted:

Lol in other news the bbc has a story about how we've locked up 500 uni freshers in a building for 2 weeks.

I can't see how this isn't going to be every single accommodation block in the country soon.

I'm a faculty member at St Andrews and despite Fife and Tayside being pretty good generally in terms of COVID spread since March in the last two weeks we've had 50+ students in quarantine at St Andrews and now 500 at Abertay University.

And we're still slated to return to in-person teaching in two weeks.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Wolfsbane posted:

Someone remind me why Luke Akehurst is a piece of poo poo? He's on two of the NEC lists my CLP is supposed to be voting on tonight. One of them is just him in fact. I know he's one of the pro-war blairites but I vaguely remember there being more to it than that.

He was extremely against suspending arms sales to Saudi Arabia because gently caress Yemen, generally hates Muslims and is scared of being drowned in a var of piss

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe

Jose posted:

I genuinely cannot believe the interviewer let this get published. Fair play to her for that I suppose.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

Wolfsbane posted:

War mongering oval office, used to be (and probably still is in his current capacity) a PR man for weapon manufacturers. A genuinely rancid man.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

Wolfsbane posted:

Rabidly anti-Palestinianist, formerly or maybe still employed by Britain Israel Communications and Research Centre (BICOM), far right of the Labour party, thoroughly unpleasant piece of work.

https://www.leftfutures.org/2012/08/luke-akehurst-in-holocaust-smear-of-coops-illegal-israeli-settlement-boycott/

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

OwlFancier posted:

I keep getting judith butler and julie bindel confused and it's very annoying because they seem like basically polar opposites.
Butler seems very wedded to the 90s postmodernist path that gender is a performance and therefore it's what you're acting, but fortunately doesn't make the terf mistake of rushing up onto the stage and yelling "that's not actually the Prince of Denmark, it's a man wearing a hat", and correctly concedes that in the role as performance model one could say the same of actual Crown Prince Frederik as you could of Hamlet actor, they're both playing roles.

Where it stutters and falls, I think, is when it comes up against the wealth of evidence since then from twin studies and neuroimaging and gestational androgen exposure that very strongly suggests there's something more biological about gender identity. That's the point where terves shout 'biological essentialism' while also running around screaming about the penis, so I think they are a good way ahead of them on that one by at least recognizing anti-trans violence forming a group with rights that need protection.

I think you can tell them apart by holding up the Dong of Malachite and seeing which one flinches.

TACD posted:

I misread this as JK Rowling being the interviewee and nearly shat myself when she was described as a ‘philosopher and gender theorist’ oof
Harry Potter and the Philosopher and Gender Theorist

Pilchenstein posted:

with zero context I'd have no loving clue who it was meant to be lol
So... it's a good Sirkeir puppet?

NotJustANumber99 posted:

Scottish Sleep Experiment.

Guavanaut fucked around with this message at 16:31 on Sep 24, 2020

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets
Now here is something subtle but interesting. Here is the I's picture of Bojo.

And here is the Expresses.

Notice the difference?

They've photoshoped the Union Jack into a English flag, because the Jack is not patriotic enough for them.

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

^^^ Doesn't look like it to me? You can still see the blue, just mostly hidden by the words.

Jose posted:

Good lord. Either Alona has an absolute humiliation fetish, didn't realise how much she was being monstered, has a good sense of work ethic or was told she had to publish anyway but that is absolutely sublime. Even for the NS.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

lol my first uni induction course is supposed to start in 9 minutes but blackboard is down and they never emailed the alternative links to me. Looking at their facebook page suggests everyone else is in the same boat

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

I'm glad I got to go to uni in the before times when there was partying and loving and drugs

Honestly feel so bad for the younguns who get to have all the stress of uni with none of the upsides

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting

Grey Hunter posted:

Notice the difference?

They've photoshoped the Union Jack into a English flag, because the Jack is not patriotic enough for them.

Lol no they haven't you nutter.

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

Klopp's 13pts clear thanks to video ref

Grey Hunter posted:

Notice the difference?

No they haven't, you can see the saltire behind the text.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Guavanaut posted:

Harry Potter and the Philosopher and Gender Theorist

In America it would be called Harry Potter and the Sorcerer and Gender Theorist.

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009
Photoshopping anything seems a bit too high-effort for the Express. Just stick a picture of Boris/the weather/Diana/Maddie on the front, fill the middle bit with adverts for clock radios and coach tours of North Wales and press print, another news day boxed off

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

EvilHawk posted:

No they haven't, you can see the saltire behind the text.

What does it say that one could easily buy that they did that they did the zoom up to the same effect.

ConanThe3rd fucked around with this message at 10:04 on Sep 23, 2020

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

the sex ghost posted:

Photoshopping anything seems a bit too high-effort for the Express. Just stick a picture of Boris/the weather/Diana/Maddie on the front, fill the middle bit with adverts for clock radios and coach tours of North Wales and press print, another news day boxed off

can't believe you'd forget some temperature bollocks

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009
Also forgot statins and miracle cures for dementia/your grandchildren not phoning you

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

yes surely china is the reason behind this

https://twitter.com/LOS_Fisher/status/1308683519040913412?s=20

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
When are they going to start doing that here?

The Question IRL posted:

In America it would be called Harry Potter and the Sorcerer and Gender Theorist.
Harry Potter and the Bathroom Bill

(on that note, I'm at least relieved that Liz Truss didn't suggest any of that poo poo in the GRA 'reform', it's the lowest of low bars but at least the pressure worked)

Jose posted:

can't believe you'd forget some temperature bollocks
Summer heatwave of 527°R followed by a -5°C arctic blast!

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Grey Hunter posted:

Notice the difference?

its uh.. quite clearly still a union jack?

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Grey Hunter posted:

Notice the difference?

They didn't, but the Express version of Johnson has a stronger gammon tint than the i version, presumably to cater to their readership's own profile.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

I'm more drawn to the feature they've written about Kate Middleton smiling at babies.

sinky
Feb 22, 2011

Slippery Tilde

The government: Michael Gove has written to hauliers to warn that if they do not prepare now for Brexit they could face queues of up to 7,000 trucks in Kent

Also the government:
https://twitter.com/guardian/status/1308382124433694720

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets
Yeah, NOW I notice the bit of blue.

I'm a moron. Shutting up.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Rabidly anti-Palestinianist, formerly or maybe still employed by Britain Israel Communications and Research Centre (BICOM), far right of the Labour party, thoroughly unpleasant piece of work.

https://www.leftfutures.org/2012/08/luke-akehurst-in-holocaust-smear-of-coops-illegal-israeli-settlement-boycott/

Also tried to get Dianne Abbot deselected (more than once, I think), for undefined "divisiveness" reasons (and of course squealed like a pig when trigger ballots started to happen), has a Trident-boner that's big even by "atlanticist" standards, and - just like all of them - somehow when out on the #labourdoorstep manages to find working-class people who are very, very passionate about NATO, Sure Start, and solving all of society's ills with tax credits.

Also he looks like an over-inflated Toby Young sex doll.

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

Red Oktober posted:

^^^ Doesn't look like it to me? You can still see the blue, just mostly hidden by the words.

Good lord. Either Alona has an absolute humiliation fetish, didn't realise how much she was being monstered, has a good sense of work ethic or was told she had to publish anyway but that is absolutely sublime. Even for the NS.

It’s a good interview. It asks the interviewee a lot of very pointed questions and publishes the answers straight. It may have been a hostile interview, I don’t know. It may equally well have been just a professional one, that threw all the difficult talking points at the interviewee to see what they would say.

Separately, if it’s true that Labour is a captive opposition then maybe here’s a solution. Form a new centre-right party. Give it a name with historical resonance and broad appeal - the Commonwealth Party, perhaps.

Run on a platform of “Tories, but nice.” Pull away all those people in the blue wall who are not very thoughtful but are troubled by Brexit and racism and care about seeing themselves as good people. If that’s too much, hope that the Lib Dems recover and go orange book. The electoral dynamic right now is that most people are mostly conservative-centrist. That’s the block that needs splitting up. You don’t even need to spend money if you have good social media and a simple message; Trump is actually an excellent example of that.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Vitamin P posted:

Not really, and how exactly would someone even cite a year+ of discourse?

If you're actually saying the UKMT wasn't extremely pro-second ref throughout 2019 then ok jan

There were a lot of people in here, myself included, that constantly argued that Labour should not campaign for remain in 2019.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

im glad i went through despair in 2019, jokerfication in march and now the placid waters of cheerful insanity because brexit is going to be a real one to watch.

frankly i find british politics pretty interesting right now in a really hosed up way.
its often been too revolting to pay attention to but now the curtain fell down and we can all see the corpse of the man behind it but the entire national apparatus is desperately pretending the wizard is real

the government is completely incapable of doing anything except throwing money at the same 5 failure megacorps and their own cousins and friends, but those people and corps are also incapable of doing anything. obviously its largely corruption but I think also theres genuinely not anything else they are capable of anymore, they sold or delegated all the parts of government that do things; often to those same people and corps.
we're so far past the collapse of central government at this point that its unclear if we ever had one

its hard to take politics seriously anymore and thats been freeing i think

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
I am fairly certain even Corbyn was against it until his party kept badgering him into doing so. Or am I misremembering a quote from somewhere.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
https://twitter.com/HistoryMuppet/status/1305965582978818049

Beefeater1980 posted:

Separately, if it’s true that Labour is a captive opposition then maybe here’s a solution. Form a new centre-right party. Give it a name with historical resonance and broad appeal - the Commonwealth Party, perhaps.

Run on a platform of “Tories, but nice.” Pull away all those people in the blue wall who are not very thoughtful but are troubled by Brexit and racism and care about seeing themselves as good people. If that’s too much, hope that the Lib Dems recover and go orange book. The electoral dynamic right now is that most people are mostly conservative-centrist. That’s the block that needs splitting up. You don’t even need to spend money if you have good social media and a simple message; Trump is actually an excellent example of that.
This is my hope for Ed Davey, even if I recognize that "hope for Ed Davey" is about an appealing a sentence as

goddamnedtwisto posted:

an over-inflated Toby Young sex doll.

TheRat posted:

There were a lot of people in here, myself included, that constantly argued that Labour should not campaign for remain in 2019.
Yeah, there was at least as much mocking of brainspidered fubpees as there was of Brexit itself in 2019.

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

KartooshFace, you are not responding efficiently!

Guavanaut posted:

Harry Potter and the Bathroom Bill

In which "Bathroom" Bill, the toilet elf, insists he's very happy being a slave race and anyone who has a problem with this is laughed at and forgotten by the next page.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

VideoGames posted:

I am fairly certain even Corbyn was against it until his party kept badgering him into doing so. Or am I misremembering a quote from somewhere.

Corbyn was extremely for accepting the referndum, because, you know, not accepting the referendum would be a complete disaster. Glad it didn't turn out that way though. Oh.

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

But it was not a consensus position at all that a second ref was bad - while the priority FBPE put on it was mocked, losing the young city dwelling intellectual voters to the lib dems would have been as fatal as losing Brexit supporting northerners to Labours chances. A muddle through compromise abd trying to focus the election on domestic politics - as we did in 2019 - was supported by many people here, and trying to pretent "we were all always against a second ref" is just mythmaking.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Nothingtoseehere posted:

trying to pretent "we were all always against a second ref" is just mythmaking.

Good job no one is doing that then