Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Hammersmith Bridge (another gift to the world from Bazalgette) uses chains because it's old enough that it was built before they could reliably make steel cable. Realistically of the pre-war London bridges should have been replaced by now - that they're standing at all is a testament to just how little the Victorians (and Edwardians) hosed around and just how tiny the horizons of modern Capitalism are, because Richard Rogers managed to make a bridge incapable of dealing with people walking on it, and after millions of pounds of remediation work it's still likely to need complete replacement before Hungerford Bridge, over a hundred years older.

the footbridge parts of the Hungerford bridge are newer than the Millenium bridge aren't they? They definitely aren't a century old.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

StarkingBarfish posted:

It was a fight between a lab candidate and a libdem, tweetman split the ld vote lol

not enough to change the outcome, brexit party loving annihilated everyone as you'd expect

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Lord of the Llamas posted:

It's pure speculation but I think saying explicitly "Labour would bin Brexit if we got elected" wouldn't have been as bad as people think

I'm not sure how pushing more voters towards UKIP would have helped personally

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

Isomermaid posted:

I've always wondered how much of it was "I am going to make the *strongest ever bridge* that all may marvel at its sturdiness" and how much was "I have no idea if this thing is gonna hold so might as well overspecify".

A lot of construction was previously done on that basis eg hugely thick walls where now we would have slim walls that do the job.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Usually on the basis of "it's 20p/m2 cheaper and if it falls over I'll just delete all the files and nobody will face consequences" though.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Jose posted:

"the left" doesn't really go in for culture wars outside of weirdos on twitter. its the centrists who can't help themselves

unless you're saying standing up for trans rights and minority rights is something the left should give up on

what is the culture war if not sexual and minority rights?

even stuff like war on christmas is about minorities

as is not being able to say you're english without being arrested etc

maybe i'm being thick but i thought culture war pretty much referred to social issues and particularly their signifiers like "what are your pronouns" and going insane with rage in response etc

Lord of the Llamas
Jul 9, 2002

EULER'VE TO SEE IT VENN SOMEONE CALLS IT THE WRONG THING AND PROVOKES MY WRATH

Julio Cruz posted:

I'm not sure how pushing more voters towards UKIP would have helped personally

I think for the most part those people were already lost and at least that way Labour would've been framing the debate more themselves as opposed to flailing about in the wind screaming.

edit:

https://twitter.com/helenlewis/status/1308749866680619010

TERFs gonna TERF.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Lungboy posted:

First trailer for Spitting Image is out. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n0JTta67aUE

Have to see a full episode because the trailer is a bit meh. Good Boris impression though.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

It's pure speculation but I think saying explicitly "Labour would bin Brexit if we got elected" wouldn't have been as bad as people think because there's a non trivial number of voters who "just want it over with either way" and found Boris message appealing in that regard. It was painfully obvious most of the pro-2nd Ref people were just FBPEs looking for a do-over even if there were logical arguments about "knowing more now" and suchlike. Labour were doing well before the meltdown in support around the EU elections; it's hard to know what could've worked (if anything) but we do know dithering on the fence really didn't work.

I mean *gestures at all the retirees in the East Midlands again*. Boomers really, really wanted diamond turbo hard brexit, and that's what they're getting. :shrug:

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

Isomermaid posted:

I've always wondered how much of it was "I am going to make the *strongest ever bridge* that all may marvel at its sturdiness" and how much was "I have no idea if this thing is gonna hold so might as well overspecify".

I'm going to try and dredge some relvant knowledge up from my memory here and say "why not both?".

The capability to do assessment on loads on structures was more advanced than you'd probably expect. I think Robert Hooke had a clever approach of using string models of structural supports that were hung upside down because string is strong in tension but useless in compression which is the opposite of stone, and by doing this he could ensure that everything was in compression when the model was "reversed". Brunel got in an argument with a brick supplier about a bridge he designed that had issues (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maidenhead_Railway_Bridge)and manually calculated the load on each brick to prove he was right and they were wrong. Today that's a bit of computational finite element analysis which you'd get bored with in a statics lecture (source: I nearly failed the FEA course component I had to do).

So the capability was there to both know how strong the bridge needed to be, calculate how strong it will be, and to say "gently caress that I'm building a legacy to stand the Test of Time!" and overengineer it.

In the case of Hammersmith bridge, nobody anticipated running multiple 391 buses over it simultaneously for years and years, but given what it's made of, cracking of the supports and components was pretty much guaranteed.

Hammersmith flyover is also an interesting one because that was designed for purpose but nobody factored in having salt from road gritting washing through the structure onto the cables and causing corrosion. IIRC they found a way to temporarily deal with that and monitor it but gently caress knows how long that will last. I liked the idea of replacing it with a tunnel.

Powerful Two-Hander fucked around with this message at 14:33 on Sep 23, 2020

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Communist Thoughts posted:

what is the culture war if not sexual and minority rights?

even stuff like war on christmas is about minorities

as is not being able to say you're english without being arrested etc

maybe i'm being thick but i thought culture war pretty much referred to social issues and particularly their signifiers like "what are your pronouns" and going insane with rage in response etc

It does, but the difference is we do it because it makes a material difference to our lives and our kindred's lives, whereas the gammons do it because they have nothing better to do than stick their nose in what doesn't affect them at all.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

I think for the most part those people were already lost

in which case the election is already lost, no? I certainly don't see how going turboremain would have won over many otherwise Tory seats, which would be the only way to get a majority when you're ceding a huge number of seats in the Midlands/North

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Communist Thoughts posted:

it was brexit

Lord of the Llamas
Jul 9, 2002

Julio Cruz posted:

in which case the election is already lost, no?

Well yeah that's where I end up in almost every rabbit hole of alternate realities speculation tbh.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

lol

https://twitter.com/lisaocarroll/status/1308755604606013441?s=20

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

justcola posted:

I didn't manage to finish the video unfortunately, but from what I saw I am excited at the prospect of one poster sitting through an entire episode and reporting back. Though they'd need Britbox, so I'm not sure who'd that be.
As much as I am against violence to fellow leftists, I would be very interested to see the pod make use of the free trial and definitely not bittorrent to review an episode.

Was mildly pleased to see they had a Bezos puppet, hadn't seen that one before.

Camrath
Mar 19, 2004

The UKMT Fudge Baron

Looks like something’s happened in north London. Having lunch in north Finchley and just had seven or eight ambulances, three police cars and an incident control van scream past at high speed with sirens wailing.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Lol, loving do it, just tear this country in twain.

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

Walling off Kent and telling all the gammons in Tunbridge Wells etc that they're basically part of Europe now then watching them explode would be the most hilarious result of Brexit, so this really needs to be taken all the way.

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"

I thought the first stage int he breakup of the UK would be Scottish independence or Irish re-unification. Kentish independence was not on my list.

Also my geography of the south-east is pretty sketchy but does that mean they are going to have to put a border & customs post on the M25?

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Isomermaid posted:

Bit of both, I think. Hammersmith Bridge, itself the same basic design as the Clifton Suspension Bridge and Brunel's earlier Hungerford footbridge, has a loading on the chains of 5 tons per inch, a safety margin of around 1000%, because they were still at the voodoo "we know if we take iron ore from this mine it works, but if we take it from this one we have to chuck in these rocks" stage of ironworking (the Tay Bridge Disaster happened 15 years after the Clifton Suspension Bridge was opened) but yeah there was also a big dose of bravado and "This is still going to be standing when all those people who laughed at me for being good at maths and poo poo at rugby are long dead" in it too, especially with Brunel who - between building the three biggest ships in the world and a railway with a gauge 50% bigger than anyone else and his penchant for cigars was definitely overcompensating for something.

However it is also just the materials they had to hand lend themselves to longevity because they're actually a bit poo poo. Brick and stone - if they're going to last 5 years - have to be used in a way that means they're going to last forever. Iron is a loving *terrible* material to build outdoor structures from, so it needs to be constantly maintained to last until next year, it just turns out that this maintenance also means it can last until next century. The Forth Rail Bridge, infamously, never finishes being painted (not actually true, it only needs painting every 5 years or so now) because if they ever stop it'll rust away to nothing. The road bridge right next to it needs no maintenance apart from occasional checks of the pylons and cables, but conversely there's almost no maintenance you could do to it that would make it last longer than the 50 years or so those pylons and cables are going to last.

Plus of course - like the first Tay Bridge - all the poo poo Victorian structures have long-since gone, so the ones that are left are probably going to be around quite a while longer.

Conversely the Houses of Parliament are loving *terribly* built - almost no foundations, so poorly stress-relieved that the whole building is bowing up in the middle, and of course on such lovely ground that we've had to invent several whole new construction techniques to stop them just dropping into the river/Westminster station.

Ash Crimson
Apr 4, 2010

Ha ha yes! Yes!!

Lord of the Llamas
Jul 9, 2002

Well.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009
Kent Regulatory Access Permit was right there, another government blunder

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

peanut- posted:

the footbridge parts of the Hungerford bridge are newer than the Millenium bridge aren't they? They definitely aren't a century old.

The bits sticking off the side are about the same age as the bendy bridge (2002 and 2000 respectively, but the latter was re-engineered in 2002) , but the point is Hungerford Bridge itself is over 150 years old and is good for at least another hundred years as long as it's maintained (part of the spec for the pedestrian walkways was they should have a service life of at least 75 years because that was the earliest likely replacement date of the railway bridge) whereas the service life of the Millennium Bridge is only 50 years.

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009

1) I've told Mrs Ghost that as soon as Yorkshire declares independence we're hightailing it back across the Pennines and burning our passports to be replaced with nothing because why would you ever need to leave Yorkshire

2) Lol no way would Liverpool consent to any sort of association with Lancashire. Another day in the Free People's Republic of Merseyside

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

There's a fiercely independent fire in the average Yorkshireman that could probably be set ablaze in the event of the country just completely falling apart, and rioting gammons in Kent combined with food shortages elsewhere might be enough.

Come on, let's loving do this, let's make 2021 the last year that England exists as a country.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

terfs are having a right normal one over that interview

https://twitter.com/bindelj/status/1308684931262971904?s=20

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"

the sex ghost posted:

Kent Regulatory Access Permit was right there, another government blunder

There is someway to fit this news into the acronym KUNT and by god I intend to find it.

Isomermaid
Dec 3, 2019

Swish swish, like a fish
Thank you to everyone who explained Victorian bridge specification techniques :) A long time wondering resolved.

Also Kent being an international border is hilarious, who could've predicted?

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

The Highland Republic would rule. Absolutely loving nothing here. Inverness & a bunch of villages

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
I have discovered that the easiest way to get blocked on Twitter is to spoonerise someone’s name and make that the only reply to something really silly that they have said. It is so weird. The most innocuous kind of tweet really.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Oh great, I get to live in the Kingdom of Scotland/Highland Republic demilitarized zone.

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

Jose posted:

"the left" doesn't really go in for culture wars outside of weirdos on twitter. its the centrists who can't help themselves

unless you're saying standing up for trans rights and minority rights is something the left should give up on

I have no idea how you read that into what I posted.

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

This is the future that Xi Jinping wants.

(This is a lie; actually this is how Chinese people see the UK anyway).

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I feel like Ulster might be the last holdout of the windsor crown rather than a republic.

Also not sure that Yorkshire would be a republic and Northumbria a kingdom.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Lungboy posted:

First trailer for Spitting Image is out. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n0JTta67aUE

I see they've straight up recycled the joke about Paul Daniels' wig for Trump.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

OwlFancier posted:

I feel like Ulster might be the last holdout of the windsor crown rather than a republic.

i kept somehow ending up with ulster in my CK3 games and immediately being invaded for it by england lol

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

https://twitter.com/helenlewis/status/1308755182637981699

I'm not anti-intellectual, I just think the amount of thinking I've done on the subject is correct and anyone who's done more thinking than that is a ridiculous pseud.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь

OwlFancier posted:

The Tory villages wouldn't like it but they can eat a sack of poo poo