Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

DIRECTIVE 236: Promote pro-social values

CopywrightMMXI posted:

Adrian Adonis signs with WWF was the greatest of all the fake news articles. I miss Scotsman’s old site that had the recaps of all his feuds.

Lol, I found an archive of one run of it - https://web.archive.org/web/20050114072707/http://www.scotsmanality.com/articles/scotsnet/scotsnet1.html

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kosmo Gallion
Sep 13, 2013
Okay so when do people think NXT become bad? I went to my first NXT show in 2015 where Balor def Sami and Baron Corbin. I didn't start following NXT properly untill Shinsuke debut and Almas/ Ciampa/Black/Gargano/ had their run at the top. Apparently people didn't like NXT from 2018 onwards? NXT has always been good for me until it moved to counter AEW.

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
I lost interest around the time Roode became champ. Not necessarily because of Roode though.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Breitbart Is Rightbart posted:

Okay so when do people think NXT become bad? I went to my first NXT show in 2015 where Balor def Sami and Baron Corbin. I didn't start following NXT properly untill Shinsuke debut and Almas/ Ciampa/Black/Gargano/ had their run at the top. Apparently people didn't like NXT from 2018 onwards? NXT has always been good for me until it moved to counter AEW.

The Gargano/Ciampa feud for me

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

DIRECTIVE 236: Promote pro-social values
Gargano/Ciampa obliterated my interest in NXT. Self indulgent wankery that also took up too much time and focus from others.

Kosmo Gallion
Sep 13, 2013
All three Gargano/Ciampa matches were good though :(

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
NXT fell off a cliff after Aksana found out what a llama was.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

adam cole debuting is the point where it felt like huh this thing that they think should be a big deal feels like nothing

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

I dunno about bad but my interest took a massive hit once they started taking NXT on the road. My NXT is that of Bo Dallas and Adrian Neville teaming with Joel Redman and Emma. It was very low stakes but enjoyably booked wrestling

Max Coveri
Dec 23, 2015

by Athanatos
I don't care if this is a searing volcano take but I think NXT was better when they didn't have a ton of indie wrestlers.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

Max Coveri posted:

I don't care if this is a searing volcano take but I think NXT was better when they didn't have a ton of indie wrestlers.

this has never been the case so im not sure what time frame you mean. even in FCW it was chock full of indy guys

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011

When it absorbed FCW. Because FCW was Always Bad.

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe
NXT had its ups and downs but I think it was a generally well kept ship until they went to USA.

Alexander Hamilton
Dec 29, 2008
I think it was definitely when Adam Cole started getting main event time.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

You mean you didn’t love a 400 day reign of main events going 25 minutes that ended with the undisputed era running in and the champ getting a pin off a distraction?

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

Max Coveri posted:

i just went back to look and every match except charlotte vs natalya from the first Takeover had well known established indy wrestlers in them.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

JOHN CENA posted:

this has never been the case so im not sure what time frame you mean. even in FCW it was chock full of indy guys

I think when they probably mean when it went to every Takeover having some new signing being in the crowd. Cool at first when it was like Kana or Kota Ibushi.

I think best NXT was when they had the indie guys interspersed with the actual development guys with fun gimmicks like Tyler Breeze or Bo Dallas. When it reached the point where a Takeover looked more like a super indie from the year before is when I started losing interest in the men's singles division and then Gargano completely killed it. Tag and womens remained interesting.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

around 2016 nxt cards basically became "pick a pwg card from two years ago" so i can see the shift starting there but even then why would you be upset at better wrestlers coming in and getting exposure. i think the worst thing to happen to NXT was going to two hours. when that happened they stopped taping back to back and as a result stopped having cohesive stories that linked up from episode to episode. i also think continuing gargano/ciampa after the new orleans match was a mistake that devalued both guys rather than elevating them and turning gargano was also a mistake considering how white hot he was as a babyface.

Max Coveri
Dec 23, 2015

by Athanatos

GEORGE W BUSHI posted:

I think when they probably mean when it went to every Takeover having some new signing being in the crowd.

That's a better point yeah. When Takeovers rolled around the weekly show became a bit of a chore to watch.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

When they had Steen come out during the Generico match where he won the title to powerbomb him I realized NXT was just going to be a rerun show. You liked this feud from someplace else? Let's do that.

Then I saw the Steen/Generico match with the stoppage finish and realized they weren't even going to be improved versions of the old feuds.

Nystral
Feb 6, 2002

Every man likes a pretty girl with him at a skeleton dance.

CopywrightMMXI posted:

Adrian Adonis signs with WWF was the greatest of all the fake news articles. I miss Scotsman’s old site that had the recaps of all his feuds.

For other old IWC personalities, last I heard was that Mike Samuda (MiCasa) committed fraud, Sean Shannon transitioned and then kind of disappeared, and Rick Scaia kind of kept Online Onslaught around for a while off and on.

Does anyone know what happened to Eric S. from 411? I can’t even remember how to spell his last name so I can’t google him.

szulczewski

He hasn’t written in years from what I can find. Seems like his real career took off and he didn’t have any time left.

Late 90’s / early 00’s was weird in retrospect, I fell away after WCW folded and just kept reading Hyatte and Eric S and Tito out of habit. Then life moved one and I stopped caring until WH2K became PSP and now I keep up through you guys. Largely in these more general threads vs company specific threads. Maybe one day I’ll watch something more then the Rumble but I doubt it.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
Two guys who fell off the face of the Earth were GH and Joe. They were two funny dudes on the Prodigy BBs and then recapped Raw and Nitro for a couple years for various sites... and I don't think I ever saw them again after that. They created the Stevie Ray song in the WCW thread OP.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

what happened to ryan clark

Kvantum
Feb 5, 2006
Skee-entist

When Ciampa/Gargano went longer than the first match with Ciampa's flat back splutting onto the bare concrete. And then Adam Cole and the UE, at all. Don't care about any of them.

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

One time a guy stole some downhill skis out of my jeep and I was so mad I punched a mailbox. I'm against crime, and I'm not ashamed to admit it.

MassRafTer posted:

Two guys who fell off the face of the Earth were GH and Joe. They were two funny dudes on the Prodigy BBs and then recapped Raw and Nitro for a couple years for various sites... and I don't think I ever saw them again after that. They created the Stevie Ray song in the WCW thread OP.

These two were great and I wish their Raw and Nitro recaps were archived somewhere. They also wrote the Revenge of the Nerds parody with Bryan and Dave going to WWE.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

When that nerd Tyler Black became the first NXT champion I just knew it was going to be a horrible, hacky show! :smugbert:

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

Pope Corky the IX posted:

A) What do you think of Bob Backlund's crazy schtick from the early to mid-90s? I actually enjoyed it.

It was fantastic.

I feel like I've read that the original plan was for Backlund to be mind-controlled by Papa Shango, but A.) Papa Shango ended up going away, and B.) Backlund was so good playing a crazy heel that they let him go off by himself.

It also helped that Backlund's style (mat-based stuff) and mannerisms (yelling WHOA WHOA WHOA when selling) were a perfect mesh with Bret Hart.

I think there might have been some mileage in a longer Backlund reign where he worked with Shawn, Razor, Waltman, Bret, and maybe Taker, but I guess Kevin Nash needed the belt then and there.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

So some of you want more Baron Corbin is what I'm reading here.

your friend sk
Dec 10, 2005

(ヤイケス!)

Kvantum posted:

When Ciampa/Gargano went longer than the first match with Ciampa's flat back splutting onto the bare concrete. And then Adam Cole and the UE, at all. Don't care about any of them.

or generally, when they ended that feud with a big violent match three times. I must have been able to tune out the bad parts of nxt before that ("it's developmental, there will be bad matches!") but watching them blow off their feud, pretend they didn't and do it again, and then building badly to a third was killer for me

and looking at cage match, they did a fourth 30+ minute match in April! on tv!! I guess that's the other part for me, putting nxt on tv and now competing with aew has ruined most anything else that was good there. hopefully once they move to tuesday (lol) they can put on an actual show instead of trying to pop ratings every week because I'd love to start watching again

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
It's interesting to me how Backlund, like a lot of folks, is remembered for the wacky character he played in the WWF and not for the work he did at his peak. But at his peak he was a huge star.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

NXT started getting less fun for me around the time that Balor/Joe headlined their third Takeover in a row, and continued to get less fun as NXT kept booking their main events at a glacial pace

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

NXT died for me when WWE suddenly started over-saturating the main shows with NXT folks without having any clue what they were doing. Gargano and Ciampa suddenly being a tag team, the burial of EC3, Lacey's random walking segments, the way they brought up both the tag champs and their TakeOver contenders at the same time. It not only killed my interest in NXT, but it showed how they were destroying the concept of post-Wrestlemania excitement. It made everything truly feel like nothing mattered, more than ever.

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower.

You have more fun as a follower. But you make more money as a leader.

Gavok posted:

NXT died for me when WWE suddenly started over-saturating the main shows with NXT folks without having any clue what they were doing. Gargano and Ciampa suddenly being a tag team, the burial of EC3, Lacey's random walking segments, the way they brought up both the tag champs and their TakeOver contenders at the same time. It not only killed my interest in NXT, but it showed how they were destroying the concept of post-Wrestlemania excitement. It made everything truly feel like nothing mattered, more than ever.

This is it for me too. Just a big signal to fans not to get invested in NXT stories.

BodyMassageMachine
Nov 24, 2006

:yeah:

NXT had a pretty great run from the early Network shows (Bo/Neville Ladder Match, the Fatal 4way, early Horsewomen stuff, pretty much all of Sami Zayn’s debut through winning the belt off Neville), then started dipping when it became the “let’s get this or that indie guy and have them be a big deal without any actual build” show (Nakamura, Balor, TUE, Bobby Roode even). Like, it wasn’t BAD, but it felt different from the scrappy vibe earlier NXT had. And now of course it’s pretty trash, much like most WWE stuff.

What I’m saying is Adrian Neville leaving for the Main Roster is the turning point from “good NXT” to “not as good NXT.”

Edit: also at some point around then it became apparent that most call ups were not going to go well, so it became hard to enjoy NXT knowing the doom that awaited on RAW/SD.

BodyMassageMachine fucked around with this message at 15:03 on Sep 23, 2020

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Claytor posted:

What exactly was the deal with Mr. Hughes? He kept turning up in promotions throughout the nineties and his whole thing seems to be "suit, frowns."

I think people were so surprised that a big guy like Ray Traylor could be both imposing and a good worker, that they were willing to put any scaring looking guy in a suit and tie as a bodyguard, and see if they took off.

Spoiler: Mr. Hughes did not take off.

CombineThresher posted:

Scott Keith has his own blog/website and isn't as much of an rear end in a top hat as he used to be, but the comments sections and most of the other reviewers there are terrible.

I still use his PPV reviews as a guideline to remember what happened at a show. His writing style is terrible, and I don't often agree with him, but you can at least get a sense of why something was good/bad, and it's a thorough summary. Is there another reviewer where you can literally look up their name and a PPV to see the review?

The Croc
Dec 19, 2004

A-well-a everybody's heard about the bird!

OH YEAH!

Red posted:

I still use his PPV reviews as a guideline to remember what happened at a show. His writing style is terrible, and I don't often agree with him, but you can at least get a sense of why something was good/bad, and it's a thorough summary. Is there another reviewer where you can literally look up their name and a PPV to see the review?

I mean meltzer but paywall I used to use Scott Keith's reviews back in the late 90s early 00s of all old wwf ppv's to see which ones were worth checking out which is how i learnt about Canadian Stampede being one of the finest events wwf put out at the time.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
Larry Csonka recapped basically everything major companies put out until his death this year.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Nystral posted:

szulczewski

He hasn’t written in years from what I can find. Seems like his real career took off and he didn’t have any time left.

Late 90’s / early 00’s was weird in retrospect, I fell away after WCW folded and just kept reading Hyatte and Eric S and Tito out of habit. Then life moved one and I stopped caring until WH2K became PSP and now I keep up through you guys. Largely in these more general threads vs company specific threads. Maybe one day I’ll watch something more then the Rumble but I doubt it.

I liked Eric S. a lot except for his 38-page essay on why it was wrong for John Cena to dress like a gangster at WrestleMania.

Halloween Jack posted:

It's interesting to me how Backlund, like a lot of folks, is remembered for the wacky character he played in the WWF and not for the work he did at his peak. But at his peak he was a huge star.

You know, I think that's more a product of the territory system. I let my dad know Bullet Bob died, and he had no idea who that was - but he, being from New Jersey, fondly remembers Bruno, Ivan Putski, Bob Backlund, and Gorilla Monsoon. He only knew about guys like Flair from when he visited the in-laws in North Carolina - and even then, that's likely because it was Flair. Then again, he was a big fan of Fritz Von Erich, but that might be from when he lived/worked in Japan.

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back
I started losing interest in NXT around the time of Roodes championship reign. Not him specifically but just the overall show lost my interest. The last shows I remember watching before disengaging were the Roode and Roderick Strong feud.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

Roode's reign was pretty drat boring for me. I liked him in general but he wasn't the same kind of indie darling/workrate guy who was holding the title before him.

Honestly, the Shinsuke/Joe feud lost me a bit too because it just felt like it went on *forever*.

The switch to TV really killed it for me, though. I tried watching the first episode and it immediately just felt weird and not exciting. I simply couldn't get into it even with the roster still being pretty stacked.