Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

uh I don't know whose flag that is but it's not Devon's

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009

OwlFancier posted:

I feel like Ulster might be the last holdout of the windsor crown rather than a republic.

Also not sure that Yorkshire would be a republic and Northumbria a kingdom.

Yorkshire would lend itself more to a traditional monarchy but Parky and Boycott are both nearly dead and I don't think you'd be able to get two Yorkshiremen (or women) to agree on a suitable candidate beyond those two, let alone all of them

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

I know it's not entirely serious, but why would Wales go back to being a principality?

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь

bessantj posted:

I know it's not entirely serious, but why would Wales go back to being a principality?

Even in a fantasy world, Wales cannot escape Prince Charles

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Also again raises the point of who ends up responsible for the tees valley DMZ as I think both northumbria and yorkshire would fight to make sure the other one ends up with it.

Perhaps we could become a free state based around teesport.

Lord of the Llamas
Jul 9, 2002

EULER'VE TO SEE IT VENN SOMEONE CALLS IT THE WRONG THING AND PROVOKES MY WRATH
I didn't actually design the map guys I just wrote the title :v:

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Continuity RCP posted:

Even in a fantasy world, Wales cannot escape Prince Charles

I think he's nicked Ynys Môn!

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
This is an outrage, no to Mercian encroachment on rightful Corieltauvi gypsum.

Moonwolf
Jun 29, 2004

Flee from th' terrifyin' evil of "NHS"!

OwlFancier posted:

Also again raises the point of who ends up responsible for the tees valley DMZ as I think both northumbria and yorkshire would fight to make sure the other one ends up with it.

Perhaps we could become a free state based around teesport.

That map has the modern boundary where you're in County Durham, so you're Northumbrian there. Expect to be fortified against the perfidious Southerners I guess.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I still put cleveland on the post.

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

bessantj posted:

I'm fairly sure it's just the map from Crusader Kings 3.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

Julio Cruz posted:

uh I don't know whose flag that is but it's not Devon's

I don't think Devon has ever been a protectorate aside as part of the Protectorate. I guess whoever made the map just thought it sounded cool and didn't know the proud and ancient flag of St. Petroc. I can't find any flags at all that show a pink cross on a red field.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
St. Petroc's flag looks like it'd be a better fit for a United Ireland than Devon. Saint Piran's flag looks like it would be better for Devon. Baner Dewi looks like it would be better for Cornwall. Wales can keep their existing cool flag.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Also the RTS player in my definitely wants to be part of yorkshire because the terrain is way better for fortifying on that side IMO.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Comrade Fakename posted:

It'd have to be, it's snipped off a chunk of Aberdeenshire.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

Guavanaut posted:

St. Petroc's flag looks like it'd be a better fit for a United Ireland than Devon. Saint Piran's flag looks like it would be better for Devon. Baner Dewi looks like it would be better for Cornwall. Wales can keep their existing cool flag.

I've no strong objections, everyone please consider Ireland united and flags redistributed as described. The current Irish flag looks too much like those of Italy and Ivory Coast and can safely be retired.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Comrade Fakename posted:

Have you played it? Is it any good. I have CK2 and have turned the UK, Ireland, France a chunk of Spain and a bit of Belgium into Wales or "Prydain", which was fun.

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes
re: comprehensibility of judith butler

https://twitter.com/shonfaye/status/1308712811049242624

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

I have burned numerous saucepans, sometimes right through the metal

bessantj posted:

Have you played it? Is it any good. I have CK2 and have turned the UK, Ireland, France a chunk of Spain and a bit of Belgium into Wales or "Prydain", which was fun.

It is very good. It doesn't have as much content as late CK2 had accrued, but what there is is more fun for having real faces attached, and some of the systems are greatly improved.

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them

fixed it for you

Isomermaid
Dec 3, 2019

Swish swish, like a fish

The punchline to that Flat Earth video FoldingIdeas did keeps being relevant.

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

Klopp's 13pts clear thanks to video ref

Sussex encroaching into Hampshire is my particular complaint about this. Winchester was (kind of) the capital of Wessex!

Lord of the Llamas
Jul 9, 2002

EULER'VE TO SEE IT VENN SOMEONE CALLS IT THE WRONG THING AND PROVOKES MY WRATH
I just remembered when all the frothing Brexiters were proposing the "simplest" solution was for Ireland to leave the EU too. We've come a long way lmao.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Personally I find performative gender theory much simpler. You ask, or read the signs that people put on their body to say "I am this gender please identify me as it" and that's what gender they are.

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

God help you if ever you're caught on these shores

A man's ambition must indeed be small
To write his name upon a shithouse wall

Communist Thoughts posted:

what the gently caress, how come i've had to read so many of her banal terrible tweets but i never heard of this?

the press are incredibly generous to weetman

they need to be, given that she left the party after being called out for lying about having cancer to explain why she never did any loving work in her position as councillor. When called on this she argued "well I didnt know I didn't have cancer" and this promptly got memory holed.

you probably already know this, I just like bringing it up now and again

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Spangly A posted:

they need to be, given that she left the party after being called out for lying about having cancer to explain why she never did any loving work in her position as councillor. When called on this she argued "well I didnt know I didn't have cancer" and this promptly got memory holed.

I didn't know that, big lol.

justcola
May 22, 2004

La-Li-Lu-Le-Lo

bessantj posted:

I was accidentally playing it til 1 in the morning last night. Me dumb dumb so bounced of CK2 a bit, but CK3 has been fun and only feel I'm scratching the surface. The world map is huge too. And it's free on xbox Game Pass for like a fiver a month.

Isomermaid posted:

Thank you to everyone who explained Victorian bridge specification techniques :) A long time wondering resolved.

Also Kent being an international border is hilarious, who could've predicted?

As usual, Fred Dibnah has an interesting bit of telly about architecture;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sVLwzfyvlR0

Even 700 odd years ago they were building cathedrals that had pillars that could bear loads much heavier than what they actually did. Can't think of the last time a cathedral collapsed (that wasn't on fire)

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

God help you if ever you're caught on these shores

A man's ambition must indeed be small
To write his name upon a shithouse wall

OwlFancier posted:

I didn't know that, big lol.

good luck finding it, I just went source hunting and google told me my search was omitting results under DPA.

The "I didnt know I didnt" exchange was from twitter when one of the local party members called her out after she became antisemitism champion of the month, it was in one of the threads way back. Maybe Jose has it

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

https://twitter.com/ClientJournoExp/status/1308740089196015616?s=19

Beginning to think we could install a dyson sphere around her and solve the energy crisis with the heat coming off this take.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

Spangly A posted:

Spangly A posted:

good luck finding it, I just went source hunting and google told me my search was omitting results under DPA.

The "I didnt know I didnt" exchange was from twitter when one of the local party members called her out after she became antisemitism champion of the month, it was in one of the threads way back. Maybe Jose has it
I think this thread may be the world's most advanced institute for Tweetman studies, I'm quite honestly in awe

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I do enjoy how apparently the radical left has managed to make a unified front out of trots and stalinists.

Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010

Isomermaid posted:

Thank you to everyone who explained Victorian bridge specification techniques :) A long time wondering resolved.

Also Kent being an international border is hilarious, who could've predicted?

they dont call the station ashford international for nothing

Gambrinus
Mar 1, 2005
I don't really understand why people get so het up over trans people. They're less than 1% of the population. Live and let live ffs. I know exactly one trans lass, although I haven't even met them since they transitioned.

Semi-related, twitter is a cesspit. It was great for talking about poo poo Wales football teams, or poo poo Kiwi all rounders, but worthless for discussing anything important. Blogs and forums need to make a comeback and the internet needs to go back to living in a corner of the spare room and you have to turn it on and sit down to use it.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
seems good

https://twitter.com/MetroUK/status/1308786910865825794?s=20

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Good thing we can just decide to turn them off with zero notice. That's how disease works.

haakman
May 5, 2011
Ahem I am a Trotskyist Stalinist. There is no issue with this, no sir.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Gambrinus posted:

I don't really understand why people get so het up over trans people. They're less than 1% of the population. Live and let live ffs. I know exactly one trans lass, although I haven't even met them since they transitioned.

Hate is a hell of a drug.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

justcola posted:

I was accidentally playing it til 1 in the morning last night. Me dumb dumb so bounced of CK2 a bit, but CK3 has been fun and only feel I'm scratching the surface. The world map is huge too. And it's free on xbox Game Pass for like a fiver a month.

Oh dear me posted:

It is very good. It doesn't have as much content as late CK2 had accrued, but what there is is more fun for having real faces attached, and some of the systems are greatly improved.

I'll have to take a look, thank you both.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Probably an anarchist too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

OwlFancier posted:

Personally I find performative gender theory much simpler. You ask, or read the signs that people put on their body to say "I am this gender please identify me as it" and that's what gender they are.
I still think you need multiple axes for that to work though, because sometimes people perform gender cues in very different ways, and that's fine too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-iVDRwhNU58
That's a literal performance of course, but he presents much like that off stage too (love too namedrop). He's a cis guy who likes femme presentation, and while I'm sure terves would have some spicy takes about how this is blackface, help us Julies, you just have to take the presentation for what it is or else you end up with the same problem as any other gender policing.

It's a performance intersecting with an identity intersecting with a bunch of social expectations (many of them unfair), and I think that's part of what makes it complicated, interesting, and in part for him at least, a lot of fun to gently caress around with.

Like Isomermaid said though, there's no hammering it flat.

haakman posted:

Ahem I am a Trotskyist Stalinist. There is no issue with this, no sir.
Please do not kill yourself with an ice pick.

e: ^^ I'm an anarcho-Hoxhaist (πth International)