Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Gologle posted:

I don't know how much of that is intentional, and how much of it is modern artwork from the Big 2 getting overall progressively shittier from what it was in the 70's and 80's.

Also Hulkling isn't a mutant therefore that team has no reason to care about him. They're totally there to kill him.

Nah, if you re-read the last few pages all the bad poo poo has already gone down and Brand is there to rescue Hulkling. She does say "Let's go" to him, after all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS
When was the last time we even saw Frenzy? X-Men Legacy? I seem to recall I liked her in that, but it was ages ago.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

Diet Poison posted:

When was the last time we even saw Frenzy? X-Men Legacy? I seem to recall I liked her in that, but it was ages ago.

When it was the magneto and rogue team? God that feels like a lifetime ago.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Diet Poison posted:

she was a minor recurring character in one of the inhuman books during the 'uncontrolled roaming death cloud that no one is allowed to get rid of because it would be culturally insensitive' period.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Codependent Poster posted:

Banshee there on the left. I think that's probably a different Manifold than Eden. The last character nobody seems to know.

Or if that's Eden the coloring is very bad. People are saying that's Frenzy there. So yikes.

Speaking of Banshee, did he bite it in the run up to Age of X when they were wiping out Xmen every issue? Was just wondering if they did anything with that unlike state he was in thanks to the Death Seed they used to revive him.

radlum
May 13, 2013

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Speaking of Banshee, did he bite it in the run up to Age of X when they were wiping out Xmen every issue? Was just wondering if they did anything with that unlike state he was in thanks to the Death Seed they used to revive him.

I think he was part of Rosenberg's body count. The more I remember that run, the more convinced it was sent to punish us for one last time before we got to HoXPoX.

I saw a tweet by Valeri Schiti confirming that it is Eden in the picture and claiming it was a printing problem and the lighting of the picture making the characters look more light-skinned. I have my doubts, since Marvel has done this so much in recent X-Men comics, but I'll wait until a better image is available.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
Rosenberg was almost definitely given a big list of X-Men to kill before HoX/PoX

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Yeah like Radlum said, he was in the terrible Rosenberg run and if I remember right, he was like an actual Banshee where he was all gaunt and dead-ish. This is also the run where Scott lost an eye so he was a literal cyclops too. Goddamn those were bad comics.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters
Banshee got killed in Deadly Genesis, brought back as the Horseman of Death in Uncanny Avengers and eventually taken into custody by the X-Men who were trying to cure him of his Apocalypseness.

Havok's team of disowned gently caress-up X-Men in Rosenberg's Astonishing X-Men take him out of sedation and use his zombie Apocalypse body as like an attack dog, and then the next time you see him he's working for the Brotherhood of Evil Mutants in Rosenberg's Uncanny X-Men. After Kwannon shows up to decapitate the leader of the Brotherhood the X-Men just adopt mindless ol' Zombie Sean as part of their Suicide Squad, and then yes, he gets killed by Super Sentinels at the end of that run.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Edge & Christian posted:

Banshee got killed in Deadly Genesis, brought back as the Horseman of Death in Uncanny Avengers and eventually taken into custody by the X-Men who were trying to cure him of his Apocalypseness.

Havok's team of disowned gently caress-up X-Men in Rosenberg's Astonishing X-Men take him out of sedation and use his zombie Apocalypse body as like an attack dog, and then the next time you see him he's working for the Brotherhood of Evil Mutants in Rosenberg's Uncanny X-Men. After Kwannon shows up to decapitate the leader of the Brotherhood the X-Men just adopt mindless ol' Zombie Sean as part of their Suicide Squad, and then yes, he gets killed by Super Sentinels at the end of that run.

Thanks, I remembered Banshee coming back as a Horseman, mainly because it happened pretty shortly after Siryn finally accepting he wasn't coming back over in X-Factor. I was just thinking it might've made an interesting story beat if he hadn't died in Rosenburg's Uncanny since it would've essentially been euthanizing a mostly brain dead friend in order to ressurect and cure him.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Blockhouse posted:

Rosenberg was almost definitely given a big list of X-Men to kill before HoX/PoX

I don't think he was given a kill list, I think he was told nothing he did mattered since everything was going to be reset immediately afterwards and he threw a hissy fit.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Skwirl posted:

I don't think he was given a kill list, I think he was told nothing he did mattered since everything was going to be reset immediately afterwards and he threw a hissy fit.

I'm pretty sure everyone in the X-Office know about HoX/PoX well in advance and I think it's weird to just assume maliciousness.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Blockhouse posted:

I'm pretty sure everyone in the X-Office know about HoX/PoX well in advance and I think it's weird to just assume maliciousness.

It's a loving malicious storyline.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi
I read a few of Rosenberg issues on MU and they were not good.

But neither is Hickman's "I'm Banshee and I like to travel!" excuse to throw him into a mysterious hellworld with millenia-long wars going on. The least necessary world balloon.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Blockhouse posted:

Counterpoint: Wolfsbane.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

I'm pretty sure Rosenberg was expressly told to write an apocalyptic story where most of the X-Men canonically died so that the prevailing feeling going into the sea change of Krakoa was, "a drastic change is needed/how will they get out of this one?!". He didn't do that well, but I think it's silly to assume he was somehow rebelling against editorial or being malicious because he knew his run was just a prelude that would be undone. Writers usually need to get approval from editorial to kill major characters in the first place!

Joe Fisto
Dec 6, 2002

And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him.
Its been a while since I listened to this, but I believe Rosenberg talks about the X-books on Ryan Stegman's podcast

http://stegmanandfriends.podbean.com/e/a-bendis-lovefest-wmatthew-rosenberg/

EDIT: I'm nice so I scrubbed through, it starts around 55 min in.

Joe Fisto fucked around with this message at 15:34 on Sep 23, 2020

radlum
May 13, 2013
The blond dude on SWORD is Fabian Cortez and the woman in the white outfit is Frenzy; Marvel just tweeted a small piece about the series

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!
without spoilers, seems like X of Swords is pretty much exactly what I feared it would be based on the buildup, just tons of new proper nouns being dumped tying into some of the least compelling plot threads of the DoX era. Arakko, Okkara, Saturnyne, Amenth, Otherworld, blah blah blah, can we just skip to December already

I also don't understand why Creation was branded as a red issue, but I guess this is a case where it won't become clearer until later in (or after) the crossover

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

X of Swords: Part 1 of 22.

Lmao get the gently caress out of here with this poo poo.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
Well now we have a pretty good idea of who's getting resurrected on the cover of the next X-Factor!

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas
Hickman is at his worst when he's doing fantasy-style world-building. I like the Krakoa status quo and I like a lot of the satellite books a lot but if you're going to kick off a crossover with the caption "Del Di'Lorr. The Last Watchtower. The Kingdom of Dryador," it's like, at least let a girl roll some dice if you're going to make me listen to this kind of thing. A minotaur, runes, get out of here with that.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

I mean I’m not against getting more East of West I just wasn’t expecting it to come in a X-Men book.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

It's more tiresome, I think, because House of X/Powers of X already introduced a vast amount of mythology that felt like table-setting, but then in the status quo proper this repeatedly happens every few issues, and the myth-scale table-setting from House/Powers is rarely relevant.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

I was hoping for some plot twist that tied this all to Moira, maybe that's coming later on, but for now, nope!

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

X of Swords: Part 1 of 22.

If this is in any way as much of a mess as X-Men #12 last week was, I don't want anything to do with it.

22 part crossover that all signs point to be garbage. It's like a parody of all those Marvel cross-line events of dubious quality.

Hickman forgets the one fundamental rule to writing: engage the reader somehow.

wielder
Feb 16, 2008

"You had best not do that, Avatar!"
I don't like having giant crossovers every year, but I can deal with one of them once in a while and the current line hasn't had any. I'm also not allergic to lore getting suddenly dumped on the reader if it makes for a fun time and I thought this issue did work out for me that way. It doesn't hurt that the art is insanely pretty either.

Like some previous X-Men crossovers though, this event will probably read better in trade format (or a couple of trade volumes, given the size). It's probably worth mentioning the script for this is Hickman + Howard, not just Hickman working alone, for better or for worse.

Not expecting any Moira stuff other than small teases or cameos, since Hickman has mentioned that resolving her situation would be more of a longer term thing.

wielder fucked around with this message at 17:45 on Sep 23, 2020

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi
It's not just the size of the story that's frustrating. It's that it feels like it's needlessly complicated with background info. Hickman set this up in HoXPoX: Krakoa was split, Apocalypse and his Horsemen fought off some demons, Arakko fell into a demon hole. Pretty basic comics poo poo!

Why Otherworld- which I will endlessly point out loving sucks- needed to get pulled into it is beyond me. Why you needed a backstory as complicated as presented in X-Men #12 is beyond me. You shouldn't need anything other than Apocalypse opens a door to Arakko to find his Horsemen and then some fights with some cool looking bad guys happen.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas
I also think that if both characters are going to be major players in the same plotline, Saturnyne and Emma Frost could stand to be a little more visually distinct. It isn't confusing yet but I could see it getting there.

Adder Moray
Nov 18, 2010

How Wonderful! posted:

I also think that if both characters are going to be major players in the same plotline, Saturnyne and Emma Frost could stand to be a little more visually distinct. It isn't confusing yet but I could see it getting there.
This is a mission expressly outside of the council's approval. I don't expect Emma to put in many more appearances, especially in the books she wasn't already popping up in.

Anyways, I enjoyed this issue. Y'all are complaining about the lore dumps but I, personally, take those in stride as long as there's good character work. And I loved the character work in this. Especially in that it's once again confirming Apocalypse is not the being a villain here.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
Remember when the Hulk was stranded in Otherworld and had some adventures that eventually ended with Jarella, the best Hulk girl? It won't happen, but I'd like to see some Hulk action in Otherworld again. And Jarella, but Marvel has forgotten she existed.

Gologle fucked around with this message at 19:00 on Sep 23, 2020

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Krakoa flexing on the council was also good.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
why the heck would anyone want fabian cortez on their team? even if he didn't suck in general he's in the running for least trustworthy mutant of all time.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Yeah, I really enjoyed all of this. Especially the throwbacks to Alan Moore's Captain Britain stuff. I'll always enjoy seeing a Fury namedrop.

I like how this was obviously to setup a new status for SWORD but nobody even thought of it until yesterday.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

why the heck would anyone want fabian cortez on their team? even if he didn't suck in general he's in the running for least trustworthy mutant of all time.

I suppose if you think you can keep him in line somehow, he'd be a useful addition to a mutant team, since he's a living force multiplier. The primary downside, that his ability might empower the target to the point where it kills them, isn't much of an issue anymore.

I did just look him up to make sure I accurately remembered what his powers are, though, and I have to ask: which one of you has been loving with Fabian Cortez's Wikipedia entry?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Wanderer posted:

I suppose if you think you can keep him in line somehow, he'd be a useful addition to a mutant team, since he's a living force multiplier. The primary downside, that his ability might empower the target to the point where it kills them, isn't much of an issue anymore.

I did just look him up to make sure I accurately remembered what his powers are, though, and I have to ask: which one of you has been loving with Fabian Cortez's Wikipedia entry?

I'm not seeing the problem.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Wanderer posted:

lol I was looking him up earlier and noticed that

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi
That could be an important power given one of the Laws of Krakoa.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

What could go wrong with giving Magneto another space base?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Open Marriage Night posted:

What could go wrong with giving Magneto another space base?

Brand is there this time!

It'll be fun to see Brand and Magneto interact.