Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shelvocke
Aug 6, 2013

Microwave Engraver
Bit of a laundry list of things I've been avoiding due to moving house. The fjr got a new oil and filter, LED headlight bulbs, tyre pressure, and brake bleed. The xr got new front and rear braided brake cables from HeL and phew are they so much better.

Rewarded myself with a sunset visit to my local trail. Moving out of a large town into the countryside was the absolute best decision.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

Some parts from Coober arrived today - ECU, airbox lid, and Hell Yeah pipe (cat delete)

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

:hellyeah:

I've been considering having bren flash my ecu for shits and giggles (I want a poo poo octane map mostly)

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

I put my Euro tail on finally.

Old and busted

You might wonder why it's disassembled so far, it's because the drunk Austrians that banged my bike together in their shed smashed the brake light wiring in between the upper and lower subframe, and I couldn't extract it.

Anyways, looks pretty good, I'm sad I'll have to bodge the license plate back on if I want to take it on the road again, for now I think I'll keep the plate in my backpack when I'm trail riding.

I need new turn signals too, there's no way to get the old ones on without looking stupid, and they're poo poo anyway, the lenses aren't gasketed, so mud flows in and coats the lens from the inside.

I was thinking either flush-mounts up near the brake light or a setup like this:

Thoughts?

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

That mini stalk set up in the last pic looks pretty sweet to me!

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

TheBacon posted:

That mini stalk set up in the last pic looks pretty sweet to me!

I thought so, I think I'll go with that, put a couple identical ones up front too since one of them has had the lens smashed out by a tree.

I forgot mention, a couple of the bolts holding the tail on backed out like 1/2 a turn, and boy did it do a number on them and the metal insert that is *supposed to be* in the tail

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Took a ride to the office downtown to grab what was left of my personal belongings since we're not going back there any time soon, and are also not supposed to be going back to that location if and when they do reopen. Perfect weather for a city ride too, and the traffic was reasonable.

When I got home I somehow managed to park it exactly in the spot where the kickstand sunk into the fresh asphalt when they redid my street a couple months ago. Made me laugh when I looked down and saw it exactly in the divot lol.

Revvik
Jul 29, 2006
Fun Shoe

Well gently caress am I ever tired of the color red.

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

Revvik posted:

Well gently caress am I ever tired of the color red.

Sorry to inform you about your truck...

Revvik
Jul 29, 2006
Fun Shoe
I hear that more often than you’d think.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
Slapped some hammerite on the more egregious/reachable rust spots.

Shelvocke
Aug 6, 2013

Microwave Engraver
Resolved a coolant leak. I didn't tighten any of the jubilee clips properly when i installed new hoses, because I'm a moron and it was a bastard of a task getting them on in the first place.

I also set my rear shock sag properly, it feels great now. Unfortunately it means my forks feel like rear end so now I also need to fix those up.

AnnoyBot
May 28, 2001
Either I suck at TIG welding or the stud is made of tungsten carbide. Whatever it is, I can't get anything to bond.

So plan B is: exhaust gets new gaskets, and 3 of 4 possible nuts installed.

Strife
Apr 20, 2001

What the hell are YOU?
Slapped a lower profile tail light situation with a cleaner plate mount on the Road Glide, and to compensate for the slight lack of lights, put a fuckoff bright LED brake light on the bottom.

It was a real pain in the rear end without a lift.

I also removed the tank badges in favor of something more unobtrusive. The CVO bikes, the ones that add $11k to the sticker for mostly cosmetic upgrades, have super low profile HD badges, but all CVO parts are restricted to folks who actually have CVOs. If you try to order them they'll ask your VIN. So I found an Etsy page from some dude in like Romania that just machines the badges and mails them overseas. I'm kind of nervous about lining them up, but running it naked has started to grow on me.

Strife fucked around with this message at 00:07 on Sep 14, 2020

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib

https://www.harley-davidson.com/us/en/motorcycles/cvo-street-glide.html

I had to look these up. Starting at $41k for a loving harley?! Are they just taking advantage of a market that doesn't know any better, or is this a halo bike they never intend to sell?

Anyways, I love your mods. The bike looked sharp, but this is quite an improvement. Great work finding a knockoff badge. It's sweet, and shouldn't be locked away to some stupid edition.

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

Strife posted:

The CVO bikes, the ones that add $11k to the sticker for mostly cosmetic upgrades, have super low profile HD badges, but all CVO parts are restricted to folks who actually have CVOs. If you try to order them they'll ask your VIN.

lol this is so dumb

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002

Coydog posted:

https://www.harley-davidson.com/us/en/motorcycles/cvo-street-glide.html

I had to look these up. Starting at $41k for a loving harley?! Are they just taking advantage of a market that doesn't know any better, or is this a halo bike they never intend to sell?

They sell plenty of them - search for used CVOs on CycleTrader, you'll get more hits than you'd expect.

CVOs get the 117 inch version of the Milwaukee 8, a beefed up version of the 107/114 that's only available in CVOs, but like Strife said, pretty much everything else is cosmetic. Paint, wheels, etc. The bigger motor nets you an extra 12 lb/ft of peak torque (125 total) and sub-100 peak hp. You'd do better buying a base model and dropping 20 grand for custom paint/whatever and Screamin' Eagle or other hop-up parts, if you thought spending $40k on a motorcycle was a good idea. You'll lose your rear end on resale either way.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

Not to be a dick but those new CVOs on the Harley page look like rear end for $41k

Strife
Apr 20, 2001

What the hell are YOU?

Jazzzzz posted:

They sell plenty of them - search for used CVOs on CycleTrader, you'll get more hits than you'd expect.

CVOs get the 117 inch version of the Milwaukee 8, a beefed up version of the 107/114 that's only available in CVOs, but like Strife said, pretty much everything else is cosmetic. Paint, wheels, etc. The bigger motor nets you an extra 12 lb/ft of peak torque (125 total) and sub-100 peak hp. You'd do better buying a base model and dropping 20 grand for custom paint/whatever and Screamin' Eagle or other hop-up parts, if you thought spending $40k on a motorcycle was a good idea. You'll lose your rear end on resale either way.

You can actually buy a $28k Road Glide Special, a $6k 131ci crate motor directly from HD, $1500 on exhaust and an intake, and wind up with a much better motorcycle.

People who buy CVOs don't actually ride them though, they're just trophies.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Got the procycle breathe easy kit onto the DR. Just in time for a thunderstorm, so I doubt I'm gonna get to actually ride it today. Like I said in the other thread, the carb bowl screws had been hosed with so hard that just removing those two little things took about as long as everything else put together. I was hoping not to have to take the carb off, per various videos, but I obviously ended up taking it right off anyway, so that was... well, not fun really, but I feel like I learned a fair bit.

Elector_Nerdlingen fucked around with this message at 09:26 on Sep 19, 2020

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
Today I snapped my clutch cable in the middle of a ride. Thankfully managed to get home without too much drama this time. By chance it happened right next to an auto parts store, but I didn't have my wallet to go buy a replacement then and there.

This 100% happened because I hosed up the install earlier this year and chewed the cable up where it screws into the plug at the top end. I'm 50/50 whether to get a real cable cutter or just go through it with an angle grinder this time.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Renaissance Robot posted:

Today I snapped my clutch cable in the middle of a ride. Thankfully managed to get home without too much drama this time. By chance it happened right next to an auto parts store, but I didn't have my wallet to go buy a replacement then and there.

This 100% happened because I hosed up the install earlier this year and chewed the cable up where it screws into the plug at the top end. I'm 50/50 whether to get a real cable cutter or just go through it with an angle grinder this time.

I used an angle grinder on some bicycle cables the other day and it unraveled the steel braid so maybe worth trying a real cable cutter.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib

When you buy the replacement, buy two. Then route them both at the same time but tuck the ends of the second one away. This way, if it snaps again, it's a 5 minute swap instead of stranding you.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

Got a pair of these pliers and finally got all my brake caliper pistons out. Now I'm trying to figure out if these are adequately cleaned, or if I need to spend more time on them / maybe use very gentle sandpaper? I think the black stuff that isn't coming off is past the dust seal anyway so I'm not sure it matters, but it kind of drives me crazy to not have it 100% if I'm going to have it completely apart.

Clean:

(Looks like the center could use a bit more work here)

Before:

Bonus shot of the other caliper, not looking great in there:
https://i.imgur.com/9WGPc40.mp4

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

The centers of the holes don't really matter, the most important thing is a clean bore and smooth seal lands so they don't stick out unevenly.

Those pistons need more work though. Sandpaper is too aggressive and will gently caress the finish, the better option is a brass/alloy wire wheel, get them polished and surgical.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Scotch brite is a good polishing agent too.

AnnoyBot
May 28, 2001

Slavvy posted:

The centers of the holes don't really matter, the most important thing is a clean bore and smooth seal lands so they don't stick out unevenly.

Those pistons need more work though. Sandpaper is too aggressive and will gently caress the finish, the better option is a brass/alloy wire wheel, get them polished and surgical.

Having done this quite recently, and annoyingly documented it here, get a copper brillo pad. Totally safe, easy and anything it fails to remove is definitely a problem.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

How pissed would you be if you got a set of these and then took the calipers off only to find PO put the pistons in back to front

Springfield Fatts
May 24, 2010
Pillbug
Put a new battery in the Sprint. loving British engineering at it's best. I had to remove four fairing bolts, the left luggage rack and the tank bolt just so I could tip the goddamn battery up and pull it. Then the negative lead was so short I had to fiddle with the connector bolt on it's side and pray it didn't disappear into the guts of the bike as I tried to screw it in. What a pain in the rear end.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

I have a dremel with a wire wheel and scotch brite pads lying around, I'll start with those but pick up those copper brillo if needed.

How pissed would you be if you got a set of these and then took the calipers off only to find PO put the pistons in back to front

I could actually see that happening if you weren't really paying attention, because it may seem like it makes more sense to have more surface area contacting the brake pads.

Ulf
Jul 15, 2001

FOUR COLORS
ONE LOVE
Nap Ghost
The first thing I did was unfuck the rear suspension on my Nighthawk. A month or two I replaced the stock suspension with some Progressive shocks and springs. I couldn't reach the target sag, and the ride was really harsh. I eventually figured it out, for whatever reason instead of putting the eyes on coaxial with the shock:
code:
 |
===
===
===
 |
the Progressive shocks had the lower eye offset slightly, like this:
code:
 |
===
===
===
|
this causes a trapezoidal arrangement where compressing the springs also means compressing the elastomer in the eye bushings. I replaced them with some Hagons and it's a whole new bike now.

The second thing I did was replace the kickstand pad that someone stole off the bike a year ago:

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Ulf posted:

The first thing I did was unfuck the rear suspension on my Nighthawk. A month or two I replaced the stock suspension with some Progressive shocks and springs. I couldn't reach the target sag, and the ride was really harsh. I eventually figured it out, for whatever reason instead of putting the eyes on coaxial with the shock:
code:
 |
===
===
===
 |
the Progressive shocks had the lower eye offset slightly, like this:
code:
 |
===
===
===
|
this causes a trapezoidal arrangement where compressing the springs also means compressing the elastomer in the eye bushings. I replaced them with some Hagons and it's a whole new bike now.

The second thing I did was replace the kickstand pad that someone stole off the bike a year ago:

Got a pic? That's pretty bizarre, I don't know why you would intentionally design a shock to have a bending force imparted on it constantly.

Ulf
Jul 15, 2001

FOUR COLORS
ONE LOVE
Nap Ghost

On the left, Progressive 412-4211s. On the right, an original Showa.

It would work if the bike also had the eyes offset. I'm guessing this is some all-in-one solution to fit some more popular bike than mine.

EDIT: Searching for "progressive 412 offset" shows a lot of people with the same problem, and this pdf: https://www.progressivesuspension.com/assets/files/PDF-Metric/3080-002-Instr-412-Cruiser.pdf

quote:

Offset lower eye may be rotated in or out to gain clearance where required. This can be used to gain clearance for the lower cover, if this does not work, removal of the lower cover may be necessary.

I guess it's intentional to fit their blingy spring covers on everyone's café projects.

EDIT2: I forgot the most important part, which is never give Progressive Suspension your money.

Ulf fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Sep 20, 2020

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

MomJeans420 posted:

I could actually see that happening if you weren't really paying attention, because it may seem like it makes more sense to have more surface area contacting the brake pads.

I mention this specifically because that's how I found the pistons on my ZZR600 the first time I took them off. Made spinning them round in the calipers for light cleaning really tough.

Ulf posted:

I guess it's intentional to fit their blingy spring covers on everyone's café projects.

It'd have to be for cafe stuff, why else would you have an impossible to clean cup on the bottom to catch mud and rain against the spring :psyduck:

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Ulf posted:

On the left, Progressive 412-4211s. On the right, an original Showa.

It would work if the bike also had the eyes offset. I'm guessing this is some all-in-one solution to fit some more popular bike than mine.

EDIT: Searching for "progressive 412 offset" shows a lot of people with the same problem, and this pdf: https://www.progressivesuspension.com/assets/files/PDF-Metric/3080-002-Instr-412-Cruiser.pdf

EDIT2: I forgot the most important part, which is never give Progressive Suspension your money.

I like how I've never seen or heard of this nonsense before, and it isn't even like the fourth most hosed up thing about progressive I've seen, yet it's also totally unsurprising and in character.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
Replaced the clutch cable last night, managed to get the adjustment perfect on the first try. :toot:

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

A POOOST!?!??! YEEAAAAHHHH
Winter is coming, and my nx250 needed a new rear.
Me and my brother bought the tools needed last year. Some light calculation landed us on breaking even after 8 tires.
Plus, we can do as many studs we want on any tire, not just the 2 types we found supplied locally. The base price on the tires was crap too.
We're limited to 9mm achors with our gun, but we could go longer studs, but as we need to be able to use it on asphalt without skipping around we're sticking to road legal length at least. I think we're a bit over the legal stud number pr square cm, but no one checks that on bikes. bikes are also except from the local studded-tire-in-the-city-air-pollution-tax.

Demo shot done by my brother as he studded the tires last year.

Plan stud pattern and make holes with cheapo dremel knockoff

ReaDY THE GUNNN

and done

Supradog fucked around with this message at 17:34 on Sep 23, 2020

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL
that looks fun, i want to experience ice racing once in my life

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

A POOOST!?!??! YEEAAAAHHHH
It's very fun and also rewarding skill wise. After getting used to uneven ice under varying depth of loose snow cover or uneven glare ice most other surfaces feels like cheating.

Edit: and you can get yourself into even more silly situations than usual on a bike, like how to park in winter without needing the side stand.

Supradog fucked around with this message at 17:44 on Sep 23, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL
the shag seat makes so much sense to me now