Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
There's only so many bits left, dude. Comcast is just looking out for future generations by conserving them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!
Stadia is one of the funniest ideas ever. Release a game machine that uses 20gbs per hour at all times in a country whose top ISPs strictly enforce monthly quotas. It almost feels like a console secretly designed by Comcast to drive up overage charges.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Cojawfee posted:

There's only so many bits left, dude. Comcast is just looking out for future generations by conserving them.

For less than the price of a cup of coffee every day, you can ensure an underprivileged manchild can get caught up on Alex Jones videos and have an opportunity to get cheevos on Xbox Live.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Ask me about Game Pass: the Best Deal in Gaming!

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Holy poo poo guys, it's confirmed.

They're releasing Sonic 06 as a backwards compatible title.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Zerot posted:

Journalists and outlets are receiving their Xbox Series X review consoles.

https://twitter.com/geoffkeighley/status/1308798279417643010

"it plays video games." I don't really get what else you could possibly write about this?

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

Actually, Electronic Arts is buying Sega.

which would still mean Sega titles landing on gamepass come November, I guess

I said come in! posted:

"it plays video games." I don't really get what else you could possibly write about this?

launch X1 didn't

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Pre-orders go live the day after in Japan.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

univbee posted:

Data caps are a useless metric in terms of amount of data. What matters is the data rate. It's also demonstrably bullshit because if the data cap actually mattered you'd get some form of amnesty during non-busy hours. Some ISPs in Australia and New Zealand even do this (or at least did in the past), where you'd have a daytime data cap but could go hog wild with no limits from like midnight to 7am. Just set a scheduler on your torrent software and you'll get your Linux ISOs in the morning.

I've transferred easily a few dozen terabytes some months with my gigabit connection and never heard a peep from my ISP.

yeah uk isps when they had caps, some had that situation where late night was uncapped, v useful for younger me and my usenet account

the worst cap thing i had before they all disappeared here was an isp who had been good for ages, but if you went over the soft cap you got knocked down to isdn speeds until you were back under the 30 day rolling cap. at some point i noticed that i was somehow going back over the cap during the time i was slowed down and worked out the amount they were saying i was downloading in the period was literally impossible at the speed they gave me and i showed them to make them end my contract early so i could switch to someone else lol

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY
I actually don't have any cap - I'm on Comcast Business (this saved me from paying $8000 to get the cable laid to my house which Xfinity wanted). So yeah they really don't have a reason to have a cap on their networks besides making more money of residential customers.

Zerot
Aug 18, 2006

I said come in! posted:

This seems to be standard Microsoft (and other tech companies, too) procedure in 2020. When Microsoft sent out their Duo phones to reviewers they weren't allowed to talk about it or show it turned on but could share pictures of the outside of the device. Brad Sams had a pretty funny series of tweets making fun of the policy.

https://twitter.com/bdsams/status/1298665077378355200?s=20

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
https://twitter.com/HardDriveMag/status/1308109401170096132

Crafty
Dec 9, 2003

I CAN'T SEE SHIT.

xbox one is the best
Luigi's Mansion 4 exclusive will be nice.

I'm starting to believe this Sega conspiracy after all of those hard evidence tweets. Am I .... crazy ?

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Probably yes, but it's fun to think about.

Zerot
Aug 18, 2006

Crafty posted:

I'm starting to believe this Sega conspiracy after all of those hard evidence tweets. Am I .... crazy ?

Yes, but as long as you're having fun that's all that matters.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

I believe it tbh

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

Barudak posted:

If you go by the playstation thread the only game released in last seven years was Bloodborne.

And the TLOU2 is now rightfully considered the masterpiece it always was. Amazing, amazing game. We just talk about Bloodborne more among a sea of incredible exclusives.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Zerot posted:

This seems to be standard Microsoft (and other tech companies, too) procedure in 2020. When Microsoft sent out their Duo phones to reviewers they weren't allowed to talk about it or show it turned on but could share pictures of the outside of the device. Brad Sams had a pretty funny series of tweets making fun of the policy.

https://twitter.com/bdsams/status/1298665077378355200?s=20

I can understand Microsofts policy in hindsight, the device loving sucks, but I am excited to see what Generation 2 looks like for the Duo.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
https://twitter.com/romero/status/1308727407105507329?s=21

Zerot
Aug 18, 2006
https://twitter.com/JeffGrubb/status/1308831239361757185

I believe this is from a Major Nelson podcast interview that went live today. https://majornelson.com/podcast/interview-phil-spencer-todd-howard-pete-hines-about-bethesda-joining-xbox/

I said come in! posted:

I can understand Microsofts policy in hindsight, the device loving sucks, but I am excited to see what Generation 2 looks like for the Duo.

I think there were two goals: let Microsoft fix some of the heinous bugs that were in the early software sent to reviewers and to kind of force reviewers to use the phone for a longer period of time. I sometimes get frustrated with mainstream phone reviews because they usually only spend a few days with them for review.

I think after reading the Duo reviews that I'm much more interested in that design than the folding screen ones. Neither are ready though.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Incredible lol, I didn't even know something like this was possible.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

How TF is that possible?? That’s some magic poo poo.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

I wonder were they trying the same trick with Skyrim on PS3 :twisted:

Zerot
Aug 18, 2006
https://twitter.com/JeffGrubb/status/1308833880066199552

Can there be any doubt at this point??

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

I said come in! posted:

Incredible lol, I didn't even know something like this was possible.
Every single map transition in Deus Ex Invisible War involved closing and restarting the game to flush out memory.

Red Warrior
Jul 23, 2002
Is about to die!

MarcusSA posted:

How TF is that possible?? That’s some magic poo poo.

I'm guessing not quite rebooting the Xbox completely, but means restarting the Morrowind.exe. Which should certainly have been possible, you have the capability run other programs off a disc (think how demo discs would work). When you know you are running low on RAM and hit the next 'load screen', save the game, set some flags, reload the exe, then during startup instead of going to the main Morrowind startup splash screens and menu it sees the flags set and automatically skips all that and loads the last save instead.

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

This is a list.

Things Xbox did to make Game Pass a thing

- Their menus show Game Pass has somewhat a alternative to the Shop.
- On the shop, theres a clear indication when a game is on the game pass. So you want to buy this game or... you want to play it for a fraction of the price?
- They continue adding games every few weeks. The games they add are good picks, kind of "selected by the editor" picks and include AAA games.
- They phase-out games, but the period is beyond generous. And even then being part of the game pass is considered a automatic discount.

Microsoft is so forward in this poo poo, I don't think Sony can catch up withouth some serius effort.

Now, I don't think Game Pass is by itself a good thing.

- Do I buy this game, or I will feel like a idiot when it shows in the game pass. (feeling bad)
- Why I buy this game, when I have a lot of free games already in the pass (feeling bad)
- I like owning games, even if never play them again. I don't like to live in a New-Feudalism system where I own nothing.
- Microsoft has 100% full control of making winners and losers. Nobody should have such a power.
- It don't make much money for microsoft. Microsoft can get greedy and stop buying games for the pass, and let it rot, while the prices can grown. I can stop using the service by them, but maybe by that point the game pass is soo popular that games are made directly to appear in it.

Daric
Dec 23, 2007

Shawn:
Do you really want to know my process?

Lassiter:
Absolutely.

Shawn:
Well it starts with a holla! and ends with a Creamsicle.
You’re missing the big one, every game made by a Microsoft First Party studio is on Game Pass day 1 forever. It will never leave. Only third party games leave, just like netflix.

Evil Badman
Aug 19, 2006

Skills include:
EIGHT-FOOT VERTICAL LEAP

Tei posted:

It [Game Pass] don't make much money for microsoft.

Subscription services make more than you think.

Arkage
Aug 10, 2008

Things fall apart;
the centre cannot hold
Xbox heading up the TGS gives more credence to a Sega partnership/buyout than anything else. If there wasn’t big news in a Japan-specific way they wouldn’t be the opener.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

Arkage posted:

Xbox heading up the TGS gives more credence to a Sega partnership/buyout than anything else. If there wasn’t big news in a Japan-specific way they wouldn’t be headlining.
I wouldn't get too excited. The TGS thing has been in the plans for a while, it's only recently that the internet rumor mill started to hype it up.

https://twitter.com/Xbox/status/1300985439407362049

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

I'm not gonna get my hopes too high but the Blue White controller makes 0 design sense on its own. Clashes with the X and the fact that MS and Sega have been getting friendly (Yakuza Like a Dragon releases XSX enhanced with launch while no PS5 date) recently makes me think something's up. TGS and Presale date as well.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
How big are the post Gamepass discounts?

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Evil Badman posted:

Subscription services make more than you think.
15 million subscribers hurling a minimum of :10bux: every month definitely adds up, yeah.

Magic Mango
Aug 31, 2006

Only fools are enslaved by time and space.
Weird question, but has anyone managed to buy Panzer Dragoon Orta recently? I’ve tried multiple times on my One X and on the web and every time I get one of their annoying cutesy error messages. I can buy other stuff on the Store fine, just not that.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Magic Mango posted:

Weird question, but has anyone managed to buy Panzer Dragoon Orta recently? I’ve tried multiple times on my One X and on the web and every time I get one of their annoying cutesy error messages. I can buy other stuff on the Store fine, just not that.

Can't confirm as I bought it at release, but it is also available on Xbox Ultimate Game Pass if that is an option for you? I hope you're able to get it because its an amazing game!

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

Daric posted:

You’re missing the big one, every game made by a Microsoft First Party studio is on Game Pass day 1 forever. It will never leave. Only third party games leave, just like netflix.

I did not knew this one

Zerot
Aug 18, 2006

Daric posted:

I would expect that games like Forza will get removed from Game Pass upon their delisting from the store because of licensing issues. But otherwise, yes, this is the expectation.

Evil Badman
Aug 19, 2006

Skills include:
EIGHT-FOOT VERTICAL LEAP

https://twitter.com/Xbox/status/1308844160921808897

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zerot
Aug 18, 2006

The emoji is red which means that only red acquisitions won't happen therefore it's shock blue Sega time.