Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

CelticPredator posted:

I was talking about it and it sucks, like the movie.

I mean yes, everyone whose SEEN it talks about it. But no one is crying for the movie's blood is what I mean. There's nothing to defend it from. The problems are plain and discussed. It's not even worth it because it's not like the rest of the film is better than the lovely racism. KKVSGodzilla is notable historically and that's about it.

I guess I should be amazed that g-fan even gets published anymore

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Worrying Warlock
Sep 21, 2009
That article reads like it was written by an edgy fourteen year old who just discovered his essay is due tomorrow and now has to bullshit himself a way out of it. Also, blackface.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Any dumb poo poo using "cancel culture" can immediately be dismissed as a chud and they can kindly go gently caress themselves.

Vintersorg fucked around with this message at 14:17 on Sep 23, 2020

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Oh, G-Fan, no.

Biff Rockgroin
Jun 17, 2005

Go to commercial!

I really like the persecution complex that guy has.

That movie has been released on pretty much every format and there was JUST a criterion release of the movie. Unless "SJWs" invent a time machine and stop the movie ever getting made, that shits going nowhere.

So since no one is ever going to "disappear" the movie, this guy is just upset that people might theoretically be publicly critical of the racism in it.

I also love his argument that "Sure the movie portrays black people as stupid, grass skirt wearing cannibals, but it was funny!"

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009
Dude's are really eager to write articles about their racism.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
All you have to do is say "this is racist, and we dont condone it, we present this as a historical artifact" and yet nobody but like, WB has ever done that lol

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Was anybody complaining about the blackface in King Kong vs Godzilla before this? Was there even a viral tweet about it? Or is this dude just imaging things to be mad about.

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

Gripweed posted:

Or is this dude just imaging things to be mad about.

Si.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Yeah he's a chud. Follow ups in that thread show how he was downplaying COVID early on and apparently still is doing so. I was vaguely planning to eventually going to a G-Fest one of these years but now nope.

Mokelumne Trekka
Nov 22, 2015

Soon.

Sobatchja Morda posted:

That article reads like it was written by an edgy fourteen year old who just discovered his essay is due tomorrow and now has to bullshit himself a way out of it. Also, blackface.

I would strongly assume it's a boomer, which I imagine is the demographic who pays for a fanzine that comes out only four times a year in the age of the Internet.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
King Kong as a franchise overall is unavoidably super racist. The original is one of the canon movies where you have to preface it with "yeah, this is real racist" before you can really discuss anything else about it. That article is clearly from a chud who knows "SJWs" don't like blackface but since they don't actually understand anything beyond the superficial, can't realize that any antiracist discussion of Kong wouldn't be starting at KKvG anyway.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I've talked about Kong and Racism elsewhere in this very subforum in fact. I'm not even sure where anymore- this thread or horror thread are both contenders to have gotten that write up.

OG Kong is kind of quaint, almost precious in how racist it is. The natives, Pacific Island Natives (this is big important we'll get back to it) are presented as fairly intelligent and reasonable, non violent. This would be largely fine...except that they're all the biggest Hollywood DARK AFRICA stereotypes you could ever find. Like a chunk of DARK AFRICA complete with masks dropped into the pacific ocean. Which is kind of adorable as far as these things go.

KK VS Godzilla shows the natives as being much less advanced but its also Japan. Which isn't actually a defense.

The best thing you can assume, the only defense you can make, is that they were just trying to follow the DARKEST AFRICA bullshit from OG Kong. That's where this is black face and it's dumb but no one is going to raise that big a stink over it because it was done by Japanese people in the 60s. The worst case scenario is that they genuinely meant this to 'reflect' Pacific Islander tribes and that goes down the much nastier road of racism that no one really wants to have time for. Asking for a genuine discussion on the matter only leads to thoughts of 'wait what if' which isn't going to be any better.

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

Virtual lock that dude has spent more than $200 on a Japanese Laserdisc of Song of the South that he has never watched.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

No, it wasn't the airplanes. T'was liberals who cancelled the beast.

Just Offscreen
Jun 29, 2006

We must hope that our current selves will one day step aside to make room for better versions of us.
Just skip to the last 15 minutes like I do with every Godzilla movie- no racist caricatures to see.

Problem solved.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

Burkion posted:

I've talked about Kong and Racism elsewhere in this very subforum in fact. I'm not even sure where anymore- this thread or horror thread are both contenders to have gotten that write up.

OG Kong is kind of quaint, almost precious in how racist it is. The natives, Pacific Island Natives (this is big important we'll get back to it) are presented as fairly intelligent and reasonable, non violent. This would be largely fine...except that they're all the biggest Hollywood DARK AFRICA stereotypes you could ever find. Like a chunk of DARK AFRICA complete with masks dropped into the pacific ocean. Which is kind of adorable as far as these things go.

KK VS Godzilla shows the natives as being much less advanced but its also Japan. Which isn't actually a defense.

The best thing you can assume, the only defense you can make, is that they were just trying to follow the DARKEST AFRICA bullshit from OG Kong. That's where this is black face and it's dumb but no one is going to raise that big a stink over it because it was done by Japanese people in the 60s. The worst case scenario is that they genuinely meant this to 'reflect' Pacific Islander tribes and that goes down the much nastier road of racism that no one really wants to have time for. Asking for a genuine discussion on the matter only leads to thoughts of 'wait what if' which isn't going to be any better.

One odd detail is that the Farou Island scenes were meant to be shot in Sri Lanka, but Toho was so gung-ho on the deal for the movie that they ended up paying the entire cost of licensing King Kong from RKO, and had to scale back their budget. It's possible they might have ended up using people from the area instead of blacking up Japanese people, but alas.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Mokelumne Trekka posted:

I would strongly assume it's a boomer, which I imagine is the demographic who pays for a fanzine that comes out only four times a year in the age of the Internet.

I imagine the average G-Fan subscriber looks exactly like the guy from the I just wanna grill comic

Mokelumne Trekka
Nov 22, 2015

Soon.

When I was eight or nine, I emailed J.D. Lees a "Gappa vs. Rodan" short story. His response was extremely nice, but of course I was unaware of copyright laws, "no Toho characters allowed", and it could not be printed assuming it was good enough to print in the first place (probably not).

Well that's my G-fan story!

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

Mokelumne Trekka posted:

When I was eight or nine, I emailed J.D. Lees a "Gappa vs. Rodan" short story. His response was extremely nice, but of course I was unaware of copyright laws, "no Toho characters allowed", and it could not be printed assuming it was good enough to print in the first place (probably not).

Well that's my G-fan story!

I'll bet he would have published if you changed it to "Gappa vs. Hillary Rodan Clinton."

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
For a while G-Fan actually did publish that kinda fan fiction but eventually Toho got on their case about it.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
G-Fan is the kind of thing I always knew about but, due to where I lived and other factors, never really got to experience. I read about it online and talked with people in the outer circles of it.

Shockingly, if you go far enough back, a lot of kaiju groups are pretty small and intersect a lot online. It was very interesting watching Matt Frank go from being another Godzilla fan artist to where he is now, from the perspective of someone who was 'internet friends' with him for that while.

The problem is that you absolutely get a lot of shitheads in the fandom. That's the thing with fandoms, you'll never know what you get or what you won't.

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

History shows, again and again, how nature points out the folly of man.
As a socially maladroit white guy who has been posting online for basically as long as I've been able to read, I feel pretty confident in saying that I am pretty representative of the Godzilla fandom, and that this can Cause Problems.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Burkion posted:

But that leads to the joke in King Kong 2005, that the natives in grass skirts are not an accurate depiction of the ‘actual’ Skull Islanders (who behave as they do because they’ve been driven mad by starvation after some implied catastrophic event).

Peter Jackson’s version of the Skull Islanders is specifically based on a line of dialogue in the original where Carl Denham says that the Islanders must have ‘regressed’ from an earlier ‘advanced’ people that built the island’s megastructures (e.g. the island’s massive wall and gate). So Jackson’s correction is to say that what Denham attributes to racial inferiority was far more plausibly attributable to a plague or other calamity. (In the Kong ‘EU’, the Islanders are starving because the island is rapidly losing landmass as it sinks into the ocean - something a lot like rising sea levels due to global warming.) Jackson’s also strengthening the parallels between the starving Islanders living under the shadow of the wall and the homeless living under the skyscrapers in depression-era New York.

I like Jackson’s interpretation, but it could go further; Denham in the original is obviously talking out of his rear end. There’s no reason why the people we see couldn’t have built that stuff. It’s earnest speculation about an uncontacted people who seemingly had the skill and knowhow to cross the Indian Ocean from East Africa to Sumatra in canoes, and subsequently developed their own unique society.

In either case, there is no actually-existing Skull Island to compare against, so an antiracist critique of any Kong film depends not on dismissing the Islanders as an erroneous white fantasy but taking them seriously as people in a science-fictional setting.

The issue with King Kong Vs. Godzilla is less the brownface (which easily reads as part of the film’s weak satire of shlock garbage TV, and overall ironic idiocy) and more the that the whole Faro Islander subplot is super bland and uninteresting. Faro isn’t even some remarkable dinosaur island.

Also, optically-embiggening a real octopus is some Bert I. Gordon poo poo.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

what happens when king kong nuts? do the natives clean it up? they send him babes and he seems to derive some kind of satisfaction from them so there's definitely something there. if kong jizzes a lot does skull island just get a new lake or something? is that why the island is sinking?

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Mantis42 posted:

what happens when king kong nuts? do the natives clean it up? they send him babes and he seems to derive some kind of satisfaction from them so there's definitely something there. if kong jizzes a lot does skull island just get a new lake or something? is that why the island is sinking?

Let’s be real: no way is a gorilla attracted to a human. Giant or not, it’s 100% projection from the human side.

In the original, Kong clearly just wants basic ape companionship despite the near-certainty that the ‘sacrifices’ will be eaten by dinosaurs at some point. It’s the humans who gotta make it all weird with this ‘marriage’ stuff.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
At some point my rear end. OG Skull Island was a turbo death hell pit that not even Peter Jackson's version can match. Any human that goes to the gated part of the island gets killed in a minute flat unless they're lucky or Kong is watching them. Even if Kong IS watching them, they're probably still gonna die just because of how many loving things want you dead.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Burkion posted:

One of my favorite bits from Mystery Science Theater was from The Leech Woman, where the great white hunter turns to their native porters and yells what is obviously just a stream of jibberish the actor might well have been told to make up on the spot and Mike says, "Clearly, he speaks African." I think about that line a lot when I watch older movies when they try to represent like any indigenous culture.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

At first when I saw this comic I was like, ehhhh, it's not great but c'mon, this probably came out right after 9/11, everybody was really stupid back then. Then I got to the third page

https://twitter.com/bellotti_john/status/1308931300791906310?s=20

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

But in good news, Howl From Beyond The Fog is finally available to preorder! But they're only doing 200 blurays and 50 VHSs

https://srscinemastore.com/products/howl-from-beyond-the-fog-bluray

https://srscinemastore.com/products/howl-from-beyond-the-fog-vhs

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Seems like it’s gonna be pirated.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

That bluray is put out by SRS Cinema, and it turns out that if you buy something from SRS Cinema you will receive a personal email from their founder, Ron Bonk.

Pyswagoras
Oct 4, 2013

Gripweed posted:

That bluray is put out by SRS Cinema, and it turns out that if you buy something from SRS Cinema you will receive a personal email from their founder, Ron Bonk.

I, too, received that personal email.

robot roll call
Mar 7, 2006

dance dance dance dance dance to the radio

After I finished the Showa set I tracked down a good source for the Heisei/Millenium series and I've been watching one every week. Just finished vs Mechagodzilla 93 and gotta say, the Heisei series rules. Amazing suit designs, great city destruction scenes and fights. They really found a way to give the monsters a sense of scale that they never really had after 54. They've all just been batshit goofy live action anime too, especially vs King Ghidorah. I've never seen Space Godzilla which is up next but from what I hear it's one of the worst overall...oh well, at least I know Destroyah is good.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Space Godzilla is arguably the worst one of all some how.

Destroyah is pretty good

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

I kind of like Mothra for Battra.

Dignity Van Houten
Jul 28, 2006

abcdefghijk
ELLAMENNO-P

Does anyone have any scoops on more footage being revealed, even a trailer? I can't imagine anymore work is still being done.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
https://wegotthiscovered.com/tv/godzilla-tv-show-reportedly-works-hbo-max/

I mean we have this I guess.

Probably not true or won't come true but still

Karloff
Mar 21, 2013

Godzilla - at least one in line with the legendary films - seems like a very expensive prospect for a TV show. Not impossible or anything, but certainly something that would probably require a Mandolorian calibre budget which seems like an odd gambit considering the under performance of the last film.

But if it happens I'm very down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Burkion posted:

https://wegotthiscovered.com/tv/godzilla-tv-show-reportedly-works-hbo-max/

I mean we have this I guess.

Probably not true or won't come true but still

WeGotThisCovered is a clickbait site that makes poo poo up wholesale constantly and on more than one occasion has backed up other bullshit ComicsGate/anti-SJW-adjacent sites with their own garbage “Kathleen Kennedy FIRED?!” style headlines. I wouldn’t trust a single thing they put out.