Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

:whitewater:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magic Mango
Aug 31, 2006

Only fools are enslaved by time and space.

I said come in! posted:

Can't confirm as I bought it at release, but it is also available on Xbox Ultimate Game Pass if that is an option for you? I hope you're able to get it because its an amazing game!

Cheers. I’ve got Game Pass but it’s leaving next month and I won’t get a chance to play it, so I wanted to get it with the discount, but it won’t let me.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

The Kins posted:

15 million subscribers hurling a minimum of :10bux: every month definitely adds up, yeah.

How many people are actually doing this instead of stacking cheap years of Gold and then doing the $1 conversion, though? That's an important nuance to the whole thing as there seem to be a lot of people who are doing this.

Evil Badman
Aug 19, 2006

Skills include:
EIGHT-FOOT VERTICAL LEAP

univbee posted:

How many people are actually doing this instead of stacking cheap years of Gold and then doing the $1 conversion, though? That's an important nuance to the whole thing as there seem to be a lot of people who are doing this.

A "lot of people" is subjective, and is really hard to pin down if your data sources are dealhound sites and gaming forums.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
I doubt it's a significant percentage.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Evil Badman posted:

A "lot of people" is subjective, and is really hard to pin down if your data sources are dealhound sites and gaming forums.

Yeah, it's hard to gauge since the active gamer internet is only a small sample of the total number of console users. I guess since the deal is still active after all this time it can't be hurting them that badly.

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,
we won't need eyes to see.

Kinda shocked Microsoft is even acknowledging the conspiracy theories

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Kinda shocked how many people entertained the idea

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Not that it's implausible, just the sourcing

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

zenintrude posted:

Kinda shocked Microsoft is even acknowledging the conspiracy theories

I think they are probably referring to news about the bethesda buyout there. I.e. we heard all we would hear on monday

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

univbee posted:

It probably doesn’t matter - Microsoft’s plan is to get people hooked on the cheap plans now only to have to renew at full price later on. People will be more inclined to buy an Xbox Series if they’re a subscriber of Game Pass, and they’ll be more inclined to renew Game Pass if they have an Xbox Series. Etcetera.

There’s a ton of ways to get Game Pass for dirt cheap right now that I fully suspect will evaporate over the course of the Xbox Series’ first year. On top of the $1 Ultimate “exploit,” half-off GPU codes seems to be going on a different online retailer every day. I’m subscribed to the game memberships tag on Slickdeals and it certainly seems I’m told about it daily. 7-11 had a deal going for a while there where buying Xbox gift cards would also get you free game pass time, probably more I haven’t noticed.

Pirate Jet fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Sep 23, 2020

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
They're controlling people's expectations so they don't get overhyped for something super disappointing (which will happen regardless).

The same thing happened a month or two ago where Nintendo teased a mini-direct by saying that Way Forward was working on a new game for an existing IP and everyone freaked out thinking it could possibly be another 2D Metroid or maybe a continuation of the Wario Land series, then 30 minutes later they tweeted out that it wasn't a first party IP and in the end it ended up being loving Bakugan.

Toaster Beef
Jan 23, 2007

that's not nature's way
Also "we won't be announcing any new acquisitions" doesn't equate to "we won't be announcing any new partnerships," so it's not like they're slamming the door on bringing Sega's poo poo over.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

I guess that's why it's 200 dollars.

Storm One
Jan 12, 2011
TBF they could have some major SEGA related reveal lined up that's not an acquisition, like a console exclusivity deal, and if you're the :tinfoil: type there's plenty of fodder: lack of Yakuza 7 release date for PS5, pulling of AGES releases on Switch, those Japanese tweets, etc.

I don't think even that will happen but it wouldn't be as surprising or expensive as a buyout.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Cojawfee posted:

What is that image supposed to reveal?

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh

Crafty posted:

Bf4 had double the amount of players on the newer consoles compared to the previous gen. To play with half the players on the same maps would have been “very dumb”. Plus I could exclaim “medic!” and “need ammo!” out loud and my Kinect would pick that up in game. Worth it 100%

It was also double the framerate, which makes a massive difference especially with first person shooters.

Daric
Dec 23, 2007

Shawn:
Do you really want to know my process?

Lassiter:
Absolutely.

Shawn:
Well it starts with a holla! and ends with a Creamsicle.
I would assume the size

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Cojawfee posted:

FWIW

They ain’t cheap.

Rinkles posted:

What is that image supposed to reveal?

How small it is.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Daric posted:

I would assume the size

I think the size has been known for over half a year

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY

Cojawfee posted:

It's about the same price as other PCIe 4.0 SSD's https://www.amazon.com/Sabrent-Internal-Extreme-Performance-SB-ROCKET-NVMe4-1TB/dp/B07TLYWMYW

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

200 for a 1TB high-speed card seems pretty good tbh

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Yeah for now.

IMO the Sony upgrade path is going to be much cheaper in the long run.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

MarcusSA posted:

IMO the Sony upgrade path is going to be much cheaper in the long run.

Oh yeah for sure

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Wonder how long it'll take PS5 to reach those prices.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
The new Samsung NVMe PCIe 4.0 drive that's most likely to be certified compatible with the PS5 is $220 for 1TB so it's not like the price is that wildly off base. The issue is still that it's proprietary and will likely not decrease in price at all over time, where as options of the PS5 at least have the possibility of being cheaper in the future.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
m.2 drives already arent big?? they already come in a variety of form factors?? lol

its just flash storage you can put it in almost any shape you want.

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

the rocket is a price-premium pcie4 ssd - due to it being one of the first available with great read speeds. as a comparison it's at approx 5GB/s read, 4.4GB/s write, the series x is 2.4GB/s read (with a claim of 4.8GB/s read with compression for textures), no write speed is known but that's p irrelevant for a games ssd

point is that's a really price premium example you're using, try halving the price before accounting for the bulk discount they'd get

Wiggly Wayne DDS fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Sep 23, 2020

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
yeah the thing with the series x drive is its only at pcie3 nvme speeds despite using the pcie4 bus. that is a premium for the part when faster drives are around the same price. unless they drop the price in a year or two youll be paying for 2.4gb/s the same price as a 7gb/s drive on pc lol

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Its only coming from one vendor
:rip: $$$

Crafty
Dec 9, 2003

I CAN'T SEE SHIT.

xbox one is the best

WattsvilleBlues posted:

It was also double the framerate, which makes a massive difference especially with first person shooters.

I never played it on the older consoles but it must have been pretty poo poo. Loved BF2 - BF4, hoping BF6 is good again.

https://twitter.com/dark1x/status/1308830078692995074

One of the digital foundry guys hinting that improvements to backwards compatability titles might be more widespread than just selected titles

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
Why would Microsoft put a PCIe 4.0 drive in the Series but only operate it at 3.0 speeds? Is it a cooling thing like the Switch’s underclocked CPU?

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

if i took out my pcie3 nvme and broke it in half and stacked it it would be that size

Zerot
Aug 18, 2006

Crafty posted:

One of the digital foundry guys hinting that improvements to backwards compatability titles might be more widespread than just selected titles

Microsoft has talked about stuff like AutoHDR already, which seems to apply to every backward compatible game from what I understand. Also, the One X already offered a performance increase over the One S across the board for games that weren't rock-solid already.

I'm playing Crysis Remastered on the One X and it's very evident what the Series X can do to make it better on day one.

Rad Valtar
May 31, 2011

Someday coach Im going to throw for 6 TDs in the Super Bowl.

Sit your ass down Steve.

Pirate Jet posted:

Why would Microsoft put a PCIe 4.0 drive in the Series but only operate it at 3.0 speeds? Is it a cooling thing like the Switch’s underclocked CPU?

You have to wonder why Microsoft makes bad decisions?

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

It improves crackdown 3

Rad Valtar
May 31, 2011

Someday coach Im going to throw for 6 TDs in the Super Bowl.

Sit your ass down Steve.

Real hurthling! posted:

It improves crackdown 3

The power of the cloud was in our hearts.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
idk maybe they use pcie4 internally for stuff who knows without a full indepthh tear down

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

Pirate Jet posted:

cost - pcie4 drives that are fast are only appearing at the end of the year. i wasn't kidding the multiple times i said that the ps5 was using ssd tech that wasn't on the market yet. the rocket linked is 5GB/s for comparison, ps5's is 5.5GB/s min and then there's their decompression on top of that to hit 8-9GB/s sustained

the ssd tech this gen is p wild and where the console single hardware (mostly..) pushes the envelope for everyone involved, and is again why the series s is such a kneecapping decision

e: to be clear pcie4 is just the interface used to connect the drive to other components on the system, it's not the basis of the ssds themselves

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
The Series S has the exact same SSD as the Series X though, just half the size.