Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

haakman posted:

Ahem I am a Trotskyist Stalinist. There is no issue with this, no sir.

He's a Stalinist, he's a Trotskyist
He's an Anarchist, he's a Posadist
He's got an ideology to remind him of the good times
He's got an ideology that reminds him of the better times
Oh, Karl Marx, Karl Marx, Karl Marx

e; god what a snipe, in 122 AD Hadrian ordered a wall built to protect the Roman Empire from Caledonians, Picts, and whoever else northwards whilst he was visiting the area.

mehall fucked around with this message at 16:44 on Sep 23, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Guavanaut posted:

I still think you need multiple axes for that to work though, because sometimes people perform gender cues in very different ways, and that's fine too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-iVDRwhNU58
That's a literal performance of course, but he presents much like that off stage too (love too namedrop). He's a cis guy who likes femme presentation, and while I'm sure terves would have some spicy takes about how this is blackface, help us Julies, you just have to take the presentation for what it is or else you end up with the same problem as any other gender policing.

It's a performance intersecting with an identity intersecting with a bunch of social expectations (many of them unfair), and I think that's part of what makes it complicated, interesting, and in part for him at least, a lot of fun to gently caress around with.

Like Isomermaid said though, there's no hammering it flat.

Sure, and I struggle to guess exactly what people are going for re: presentation not least because it's hard to guess whether people are shaped masc but presenting femme with the intent of you identifying them as femme, or the other way around. Or whether they're just picking stuff they like or whether they're deliberately going for something off the masc/femme spectrum or whether my reference frame is just off and I can't tell what they're going for cos I'm crap at it.

Which is sort of the issue with the "just guess based on what people look like" approach because while a lot of people understandably want it to work like that, it runs up against the issue of not everyone can work like that. People don't have perfect control over their appearance and the same cues can be read different ways. But even then the prescriptivist approach doesn't do anyone any favours either because what if you're cis but just look naturally different to your identity?

"Everyone can pick what they want to be" really is the simplest option, IMO. Maybe being bi/pan simplifies it more because I don't have to have any weird crises about "oh god I find this person attractive does that make me gay" or whatever that a lot of people seem to have re: gender being performative. Like it moves gender entirely into the realm of other people, it has literally no bearing on me what other people identify as whereas if you're invested in being heterosexual (or exclusively homosexual, I guess, though more of a hetero thing) other people's gender becomes a problem for your identity via the medium of being horny.

But that again seems like a you problem, IMO. Just because you've got a complex about who you want to gently caress doesn't mean everyone else has to accomodate it.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 16:50 on Sep 23, 2020

radmonger
Jun 6, 2011

Gambrinus posted:

I don't really understand why people get so het up over trans people. They're less than 1% of the population. Live and let live ffs. I know exactly one trans lass, although I haven't even met them since they transitioned.

To the extent that there is any legitimate point at all, it is that rules ideal for that 1% of the population have the potential to cause problems for the other 99%.

It is not a very realistic concern, because if they did cause problems, the 99% would obviously win any vote to change them back again. But it would be a reasonable thing to think about, were you ever to be appointed Gender Czar.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting

OwlFancier posted:

it has literally no bearing on me what other people identify as

What about if you don't want to upset them by calling them the wrong names or pronouns and stuff? Everybody is just a want to gently caress and a do not want to gently caress is... an interesting idea.

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe

Have you been considering Johnson's massive package UKMT?

Oscar Romeo Romeo
Apr 16, 2010

the sex ghost posted:

I know that leather shop!!! Definitely either a front for money laundering or it's got a fetish dungeon in the back room. I've been walking past it twice a day every day for 7 years and never a single customer inside but lots of glowing online reviews about the supple quality of the leather and the excellent service they received.

It is opposite the warhammer shop in Liverpool Central so perhaps a cynical move on their part to try and create a one stop shop for the sort of people who would buy a full length leather duster for £300

Reminded me of this place in Gravesend (Had to nab a picture from Google as my photos are on the dead machine)

Not bad, not great, just ok...

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Oscar Romeo Romeo posted:

Reminded me of this place in Gravesend (Had to nab a picture from Google as my photos are on the dead machine)

Not bad, not great, just ok...

Welcome to Mundane Meals.

Oscar Romeo Romeo
Apr 16, 2010

Danger - Octopus! posted:

Walling off Kent and telling all the gammons in Tunbridge Wells etc that they're basically part of Europe now then watching them explode would be the most hilarious result of Brexit, so this really needs to be taken all the way.

Tunbridge Wells voted Remain so they'd probably be quite happy with that.

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

Tunbridge Wells voted Remain so they'd probably be quite happy with that.

I did not realise that! I grew up in Tunbridge Wells and still have family just outside it, who insist it's xenophobic Tory voter central, but that gives me some hope at least.

G1mby
Jun 8, 2014

I did not realise that! I grew up in Tunbridge Wells and still have family just outside it, who insist it's xenophobic Tory voter central, but that gives me some hope at least.

I was living there at the time - there's a lot of younger city commuter types living there. I wasn't hugely surprised to see it go Remain (but pretty much everywhere else nearby didn't)

Oscar Romeo Romeo
Apr 16, 2010

It wasn't a landslide win for Remain but yeah, quite a surprise personally for the one place in Kent to vote remain being TW. Living in Medway at the time I had a feeling they'd just inch it into to Remain territory but I was awfully wrong on that front. Before anyone points out Medway had a UKIP MP for a short time, there was a staggering amount of people who voted UKIP during that by-election (Triggered by Mark Reckless switching from Conservative to UKIP) stating they had previously voted Conservative, got dicked over, and so would vote UKIP to stick it to 'em... not realising the UKIP candidate was the same former Conservative candidate they were mad at. The days after that by-election result made for interesting conversation.

Oscar Romeo Romeo fucked around with this message at 17:53 on Sep 23, 2020

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

God help you if ever you're caught on these shores

A man's ambition must indeed be small
To write his name upon a shithouse wall

It wasn't a landslide win for Remain but yeah, quite a surprise for the one place in Kent to vote remain being TW.

eh

the parliamentary constituency of canterbury went remain, the local authority voted leave because it includes the ludicrously expensive slums of herne bay

not realising the UKIP candidate was the same former Conservative candidate they were mad at. The days after that by-election result made for interesting conversation.

to be fair,

Spangly A fucked around with this message at 17:56 on Sep 23, 2020

Oscar Romeo Romeo
Apr 16, 2010

Spangly A posted:

to be fair,

Huh... still going with the traffic thing.

I remember there being quite a bit of advertising promoting his campaign around the Medway towns and it was certainly out there in general discourse on social media, in the pubs, at gatherings etc but so many people I spoke to didn't make the connection that he was the former MP who'd triggered the by-election. Reckless, nor his successor Kelly Tolhurst have appeared to make any measures in addressing the daily gridlock on the A2 from Strood through to Gillingham.

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

God help you if ever you're caught on these shores

A man's ambition must indeed be small
To write his name upon a shithouse wall

Huh... still going with the traffic thing.

I remember there being quite a bit of advertising promoting his campaign around the Medway towns and it was certainly out there in general discourse on social media, in the pubs, at gatherings etc but so many people I spoke to didn't make the connection that he was the former MP who'd triggered the by-election. Reckless, nor his successor Kelly Tolhurst have appeared to make any measures in addressing the daily gridlock on the A2 from Strood through to Gillingham.

I remember a lot of talk with my roch friends about it being along the lines of *posts link* "wait he's campaigning against himself?"

It's amazing that those are photos of the same location and you can see there were two elections and a vandalism before McDonalds get around to changing their billboards

e; that may even be the same estate agent lawn sign just lying in the street 6 months later

Spangly A fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Sep 23, 2020

Renfield
Feb 29, 2008

This billboard is at the end of the road I lived in at the time (Northcote Road, Strood)

Does anyone else remember the hustings broadcast on the BBC but never repeated or put on iPlayer where Reckless aired a policy of forced return for legal immigrants, and offering up to £10k to 2nd and 3rd gen immanents to "go back home".

Jokes on me, I moved to Wales to get away from the racist chuds in Medway, and Reckless is currently a member of the Welsh Assembly.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

the sex ghost posted:

Yorkshire would lend itself more to a traditional monarchy but Parky and Boycott are both nearly dead and I don't think you'd be able to get two Yorkshiremen (or women) to agree on a suitable candidate beyond those two, let alone all of them

Is that why Parky isn't on the Sun Life ads anymore? Even Junedad saying "Parky and his famous pen" has been obliterated from the ads.

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

justcola posted:

As usual, Fred Dibnah has an interesting bit of telly about architecture;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sVLwzfyvlR0

Even 700 odd years ago they were building cathedrals that had pillars that could bear loads much heavier than what they actually did. Can't think of the last time a cathedral collapsed (that wasn't on fire)

Love Fred Dibnah. Back in about 2003 I used to cane it home from work on my bike (10 min trip) on my lunch break, via the corner shop, eat my lunch and watch Fred on BBC2 for half an hour before cycling back. Good times.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Sad times, had to put the cat down today. Rest easy little guy.

He was 19 and had a great last few months up in the mountains. Sad to see him go though.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

knox_harrington posted:

He was 19 and had a great last few months up in the mountains. Sad to see him go though.

Sorry to hear that x

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them

knox_harrington posted:

rest in power kitty

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

Sorry about your cat :(

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

KartooshFace, you are not responding efficiently!

knox_harrington posted:

Black cat condolences :( Looks like a cute fellow

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Renfield posted:

Jokes on me, I moved to Wales to get away from the racist chuds in Medway, and Reckless is currently a member of the Welsh Assembly.

Mark Reckless

quote:

His mother emigrated to the UK when she was 17 to train as a nurse; however, Reckless has said that he doesn't see his mother as an "immigrant" and stated "I don't consider myself to have an immigrant background".[43]

Oh, that's O.K. then, guess everyone can do that.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
This is a... surprising point of principle for him to stick to:

https://twitter.com/skynews/status/1308817247675256833?s=21

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Looking at the footage that looks hacked together from a much longer and wafflier answer and he still is clearly trying to have his cake and eat it too.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

knox_harrington posted:

Sorry to you and your little buddy, we're probably going to have to have Jinx put down tomorrow, so I know how poo poo it is. Condolences <3

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Its almost like we're a Bureaucracy, in space!

I set sail for the Planet of Lab Requisitions!!

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news...ons-coronavirus

Furlough replacement, maybe in line with the German part time work scheme.

Of course it's too late for all the redundancies which were predicated around the furlough scheme ending.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Ms Adequate posted:

Sorry to you and your little buddy, we're probably going to have to have Jinx put down tomorrow, so I know how poo poo it is. Condolences <3

Sorry to hear that as well :smith:

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Ms Adequate posted:

Sorry to this too :(

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"

Darth Walrus posted:

Maybe he's hoping to scare the "silent majority of quiet unionists" into supporting... the tories? gently caress knows.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

knox_harrington posted:

Ms Adequate posted:

Condolences to both of you :(

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

Darth Walrus posted:

Yea, while "the scottish people have the right to their own self-determination, even if I personally don't think independence is good for them" is a good take, that's the principle he holds to against the tides of gammons declaring otherwise?

Nothingtoseehere fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Sep 23, 2020

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer
It’s possible he thinks it’s remote enough of an issue that he can do a bit of token progressiveness that won’t ever come up.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Clive Lewis MP posted:

The upcoming legislation entitled the Overseas Operation Bill is about to begin its passage through Parliament. I wanted to set out here my thoughts on it for two key reasons:

1. I believe this to be an extremely important bill that has implications for human rights, the rule of law and the treatment of our armed forces.
2. It is possible the Labour party frontbench position may, at the 3rd (and final) reading, be to whip to either abstain or vote for the bill. This is of course subject to any amendments that may yet change the worst aspects of the bill. However, as things stand, the party’s front bench position seems to be that this legislation is a government trap - one we must not walk into by opposing.
Turning now to the bill itself.

Part of the bill relates a new six-year limit for veterans themselves to bring claims for conditions such as post-traumatic stress disorder or hearing loss. The MoD insists the changes will not prevent personnel and veterans from bringing claims. However, the British Legion is concerned this could be in breach of the Armed Forces Covenant and disadvantage military personnel when seeking redress from government.
This part of the bill and it’s stated intention, as per the Ministry of Defence (MoD), is to stop ‘vexatious legal action’ against veterans who have served overseas. In other words - stronger legal protection for service personnel and veterans by restricting investigations against them for historic acts

It does this by severely restricting the ability to prosecute serious criminal wrongdoing by overseas personnel by installing a presumption against doing so after five years. It also requires the attorney general’s consent. The bill then goes on to interfere with the courts’ discretionary ability to allow civil claims against the Ministry of Defence after six years. This would include claims by veterans hurt by friendly fire during overseas operations, as well as civilian victims of torture, arbitrary detention and unlawful killing.

The bill also requires the secretary of state to consider opt-outs from the European Court of Human Rights (EHCR) in respect of any significant overseas operation. In effect this means if we were to sign up to peacekeeping and humanitarian operations, the government could decide to withdraw from the most fundamental of international post-war legal norms.

The reality is this bill would, if enacted, effectively grant veterans of the Iraq and Afghanistan campaigns immunity from prosecution. In other words it would decriminalise torture and murder. Aside from the damaging consequences this will have to Britain’s standing in the world as to the rule of international law, it would also be a breach of our basic obligation to global Human Rights. That’s because this bill will not apply to the British mainland.

That in effect means we would have a two-tier system of human rights justice. Overseas, dealing predominantly in post-colonial countries, we are in effect saying black and brown lives or the victims of torture, matter less. The whole concept of universal human rights is that we are ALL human beings and therefore equal before the law. This legislation fundamentally undermines that principle and, in my opinion, must be opposed.

As the climate crisis deepens, refugee numbers increase, and more states destabilise, how we respond to these crisis’ will be more important than ever. Donald Trump and other authoritarian nationalist leaders want to undermine the post-war human rights-based world order. Whilst it has many faults and inconsistencies, it is a base nonetheless to build on for the future. What Boris Johnson is doing here is to undermine and regress those gains rather than build on them.

It is my belief the Labour Party and all progressives must oppose this attack on a fundamental principle. We must always make the argument for universal human rights – no matter however difficult that is. I understand we need to win over people whose votes we have been losing since the 1990s. But no one, not even those who perhaps support such measures as are in this bill, respect a political party that will not stand fast on its principles.

Therefore, we must stand our ground on this bill and make the case for the kind of world we wish to live in. As such, unless major changes are made, I will be voting against this bill at its final reading irrespective of the party whip.

Why isn't this guy Labour leader again?

CancerCakes
Jan 10, 2006

Regarde Aduck posted:

It’s possible he thinks it’s remote enough of an issue that he can do a bit of token progressiveness that won’t ever come up.

This has strong "Cameron promising Brexit ref because he didn't think he would win" energy

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

Sucks that Labour abstained on that bill that exempts war criminals from prosecution, but at least it’ll stop the Tories from portraying them as terrorist sympathi-

https://twitter.com/conservatives/status/1308846115438157824?s=21

Oh.

Sanitary Naptime
May 29, 2006

MIWK!

E: ^^ lol

Starmer’s take on independence really doesn’t matter because it wouldn’t help labour no matter what his position is.

The only vacuum in Scottish politics that could actually be filled is a left wing anti Independence Party, and the former part of that is absolute fuckin anathema to the Labour Party at large in Scotland.

Guavanaut posted:

Why isn't this guy Labour leader again?

He’s been a bit inappropriate iirc

Endjinneer
Aug 17, 2005
Fallen Rib

justcola posted:

As usual, Fred Dibnah has an interesting bit of telly about architecture;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sVLwzfyvlR0

Even 700 odd years ago they were building cathedrals that had pillars that could bear loads much heavier than what they actually did. Can't think of the last time a cathedral collapsed (that wasn't on fire)

Gutted to have missed structureschat ITT, but here's my bit. There's an availability bias going on where we think ancient structures are well built, when in fact most weren't. It's just that there isn't any evidence of the bad ones because we don't like to leave collapsed structures about for long.
Lincoln cathedral, for example, has been flattened by wind, fire, earthquake and incompetence. https://lincolncathedral.com/history-conservation/timeline/

The reason pillars and beams are so overspecified is because they didn't understand structural mechanics, so they threw a lot of material at it and hoped it would work. Often they'd mix techniques up completely. Ancient Greek architecture gets its distinctive style because it uses stone as if it is wood. The two materials have wildly different properties.
The rule of thumb back in cathedral and parthenon building times was that if it stood up for five minutes, it would stand up for five hundred years. Put in modern terms- as long as the structure can resist the direction of the applied forces, their magnitude is irrelevant. Unless you live in Lincoln.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Been playing in Tableau and made this:

Some interesting insights into Corbyn's tenure as a whole.

Gained vote share in significantly more seats than he lost across the 4 years
Did not lose a single Remain seat net