Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

runawayturtles posted:

Is this worth doing if you don't already have something like a retirement account there? It seems like the loss of any sort of interest rate on that 100k would offset the fraction of a percent increase in cash back.

You can transfer any brokerage account to Merrill and the stock value counts towards the total needed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.
I was interested in doing this but I found a couple of credit unions near me offering 2.5% cash back cards, so I'm not sure doing that is worth the extra 0.16%

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

smackfu posted:

You can transfer any brokerage account to Merrill and the stock value counts towards the total needed.

Does transferring involve selling/buying stocks/paying capital gains?

edit: maybe maybe not https://www.nerdwallet.com/blog/investing/switch-brokers-move-investments/

asur
Dec 28, 2012

Residency Evil posted:

edit: maybe maybe not https://www.nerdwallet.com/blog/investing/switch-brokers-move-investments/

It shouldn't. I've transferred in and out of Merrill using an ACAT in kind transfer where nothing is sold.

literally this big
Jan 10, 2007

Here comes
the Squirtle Squad!
I was recently approved for US Bank's Cash+ card, and was considering selecting Electronic Stores as one of my catagories so I could build a computer. How can I tell which stores and retailers count as "electronic stores"?

Girbot
Jan 13, 2009
If you're building your own computer I'd be surprised if you saved more with a 5% cash back from a big box electronics store than you would from Amazon, Newegg, and local OEM shops.

*Newegg.com and Fry's Electronics count as electronics stores.

You can trying calling and ask the store manager which merchant code they use with Visa.

Girbot fucked around with this message at 09:33 on Sep 4, 2020

literally this big
Jan 10, 2007

Here comes
the Squirtle Squad!

Girbot posted:

If you're building your own computer I'd be surprised if you saved more with a 5% cash back from a big box electronics store than you would from Amazon, Newegg, and local OEM shops.

*Newegg.com and Fry's Electronics count as electronics stores.

You can trying calling and ask the store manager which merchant code they use with Visa.

I definitely wasn't looking for a big box store, I just wanted to make sure Fry's counts as an "electronics" store and not something else. Fry's and Newegg are good, do any other online retailers code as electronics? The Chase Freedom also gives 5% back on Amazon this quarter, so I'm covered there too.

halokiller
Dec 28, 2008

Sisters Are Doin' It For Themselves

literally this big posted:

I was recently approved for US Bank's Cash+ card, and was considering selecting Electronic Stores as one of my catagories so I could build a computer. How can I tell which stores and retailers count as "electronic stores"?

For your particular card, they list some of them on their site:
https://cashplus.usbank.com/merchants/index

I use this tool to look up retailers to see which categories they fall under.

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.

Residency Evil posted:

What are the redemptions like? Looks like 3.5 points on travel/dining, 2.62 on everything else? Can you just take that as cash back?

yes and yes, plus there's a "Cash rewards" card that can get up to 5.25%

Only if you have platinum honors, which for anyone sane is just 100k in investments at merrill edge. I'd do it but moving my poo poo from Schwab is too much effort to make, at most, $100 a year

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Paypal now has a "Paypal Key" that gives you a virtual card card number which you can use to pay online at places that don't accept paypal. You get to select which card is charged.

Discover currently has 5% cash back via Paypal. If you haven't maxed it out already, it sure sounds like you could get 5% back anywhere Mastercard is accepted.

Since this may code as a debit card, it might also offer some fee benefits when making payments, as well. People's results seem to be mixed so far.

Check if you're eligible:
https://www.paypal.com/myaccount/debitcards/enroll/virtual-card?entrypoint=walletweb

edit: Interestingly, it seems you can change the 3-digit security code on-demand.

edit 2: according to DoC, it has: "1.1% foreign transaction fee if the online merchant is located outside US and the District of Columbia regardless of linked credit card."

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000
I am a slimey vat of concentrated stupidity

Fun Shoe

Residency Evil posted:

You can ACAT normal investment accounts or just cash out and transfer cash for retirement accounts. BofA relationship bonus is on assets with the bank, doesn't have to be cash.

So if you have an IRA invested in target date XXX you can move that to Edge and get the bonus on the CCs.

literally this big
Jan 10, 2007

Here comes
the Squirtle Squad!
Huzzah, my Chase Freedom just came. Between my Chase Freedom and US Bank Cash+, I'm going to get $400 in cashback and SUBs, so I'm essentially buying $1,400 worth of parts for only $1,000. Hell yes.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I’m about to hit month 3 of waiting for the card I applied for through my bank that declined me, then said they didn’t (they absolutely did), then asked for paperwork they’ve had before for other things, then the same paperwork yet again for some reason, then to close an existing account, then to send me the same letter saying I’d been declined again for some reason, and wow it’s kinda amazing how long this process has taken. Good thing I’m not super duper desperate for it or anything.

literally this big
Jan 10, 2007

Here comes
the Squirtle Squad!
Chase Freedom Flex is now open for applications.

I got a Freedom Unlimited from them a few months ago, and then was insta-approved for the Freedom a few weeks ago. After all my hard inquiries (I'm 4/24), my Experian score is still 759. I'm wondering if and when I should apply for the Freedom Flex as well.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Chase Freedom Flex is now open for applications.

I got a Freedom Unlimited from them a few months ago, and then was insta-approved for the Freedom a few weeks ago. After all my hard inquiries (I'm 4/24), my Experian score is still 759. I'm wondering if and when I should apply for the Freedom Flex as well.

Give it at least six months from the Unlimited, and ideally at least 3-6mo from the Freedom. Chase got really sensitive about this stuff even before the pandemic.

literally this big
Jan 10, 2007

Here comes
the Squirtle Squad!

astral posted:

Give it at least six months from the Unlimited, and ideally at least 3-6mo from the Freedom. Chase got really sensitive about this stuff even before the pandemic.

Aye, the Unlimited was only 4 months ago. I just want another $200 sign-up bonus to build my new computer.

Girbot
Jan 13, 2009

Aye, the Unlimited was only 4 months ago. I just want another $200 sign-up bonus to build my new computer.

https://www.doctorofcredit.com/best-bank-account-bonuses/

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
Anyone who is seriously churning probably isn't eligible, but Chase just put out a new sign-up bonus of 80,000 points for $4,000 spend on the Chase Sapphire Preferred.

Worth $800 cash back or $1,000 if redeemed through the Chase travel portal.

https://creditcards.chase.com/rewards-credit-cards/sapphire/preferred?CELL=682J

Nur_Neerg
Sep 1, 2004

The Lumbering but Unstoppable Sasquatch of the Appalachians

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Anyone who is seriously churning probably isn't eligible, but Chase just put out a new sign-up bonus of 80,000 points for $4,000 spend on the Chase Sapphire Preferred.

Worth $800 cash back or $1,000 if redeemed through the Chase travel portal.

https://creditcards.chase.com/rewards-credit-cards/sapphire/preferred?CELL=682J

This is also the majority of a roundtrip business class flight to Asia if anyone's interested in that sort of thing when the world reopens. Likely going to open one each between the girlfriend and I to replace our CSRs until travel exists normally again.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Sign up bonus is only if you have no Sapphire card, right? So downgrading from a CSR is no go.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

smackfu posted:

Sign up bonus is only if you have no Sapphire card, right? So downgrading from a CSR is no go.

New card bonus only, and only if you haven't had any Sapphire card bonus in the last 48months.

They would likely downgrade their CSR to something like a Freedom Flex, and then apply for the CSP as a new card for the bonus.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Ah I see, it’s pretty easy to “not have any Sapphire card” if you choose.

Nur_Neerg
Sep 1, 2004

The Lumbering but Unstoppable Sasquatch of the Appalachians
Yeah, exactly that, will confirm it's been long enough since we got our last sign-up bonus, then product change to a freedom of some sort, then new sign-up bonus for the CSP. Whenever travel works again, at least one of us will likely product change our CSP back to a CSR.

THF13
Sep 26, 2007

Keep an adversary in the dark about what you're capable of, and he has to assume the worst.
The time between sign up bonuses on the Sapphire family is 4 years now. So should be coming up for people who got the Reserve as soon as it launched. It's from when you got the bonus I think, not when you signed up for the card so keep that in mind.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat
Applied for the Freedom Flex, I was instant approved. I keep a decent record of all my CC sign ups though to track the 5/24:

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
If I already have Chase Freedom, is there any reason to NOT ask for a product change to Freedom Flex?

It looks to me like Freedom Flex has everything the old Freedom had plus a few extra things (like cell phone insurance). Am I missing anything?

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

OldSenileGuy posted:

If I already have Chase Freedom, is there any reason to NOT ask for a product change to Freedom Flex?

It looks to me like Freedom Flex has everything the old Freedom had plus a few extra things (like cell phone insurance). Am I missing anything?

The Flex is a full upgrade to the old Freedom. Ideally, if you are at 5/24, then just product change up to it. If you are elligible, apply directly, and just have both.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

OldSenileGuy posted:

Mastercard vs. Visa would make it a little harder to take advantage of Warehouse Clubs quarter in-store at Costco.

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

Got insta-approved to the Flex. It'll be nice to double dip along the regular Freedom on the quarterly categories.

Question about the CSP 80k bonus. Can I downgrade my CSR to a Freedom, get the CSP and the bonus, and then upgrade it to CSR without having to pay it's annual fee again? I got the 100k sign-up bonus in Dec 2016.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Animal posted:

Got insta-approved to the Flex. It'll be nice to double dip along the regular Freedom on the quarterly categories.

Question about the CSP 80k bonus. Can I downgrade my CSR to a Freedom, get the CSP and the bonus, and then upgrade it to CSR without having to pay it's annual fee again? I got the 100k sign-up bonus in Dec 2016.

If you downgrade the CSR to CSP, you get a prorated refund of the annual fee.

When you sign up for a new Chase card, if I'm remembering correctly they do not want you to do a product change that affects the annual fee within the first year.

literally this big
Jan 10, 2007

Here comes
the Squirtle Squad!

astral posted:

You're right, maybe I should give up on my lifelong dream of opening three Chase credit cards within four months of eachother...

...Or maybe I should believe in myself and the Power Of Friendship!!!!

Insta-approved, with my highest line of credit yet. So that's another $500 + 5% + $200 SUB to throw into my new computer. Chase has more than quadrupled my total available credit in the last few months. Maybe not the smartest move on their part, but it means my utilization will easily be sub-1% from now on, so I'll take it.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

You're right, maybe I should give up on my lifelong dream of opening three Chase credit cards within four months of eachother...

...Or maybe I should believe in myself and the Power Of Friendship!!!!

Insta-approved, with my highest line of credit yet. So that's another $500 + 5% + $200 SUB to throw into my new computer. Chase has more than quadrupled my total available credit in the last few months. Maybe not the smartest move on their part, but it means my utilization will easily be sub-1% from now on, so I'll take it.

Well, if they don't shut you down in the next week or two, you're probably fine. Good luck.

Cbear
Mar 22, 2005
I would definitely give Chase a break if I were you. I go pretty hard with credit card churning for me and my family members. Recommended for Chase seems to be once every 3 months.

3 in 4 months might be asking for trouble, especially during covid times. You may want to give them a 6 month break honestly.

literally this big
Jan 10, 2007

Here comes
the Squirtle Squad!

Cbear posted:

I would definitely give Chase a break if I were you. I go pretty hard with credit card churning for me and my family members. Recommended for Chase seems to be once every 3 months.

3 in 4 months might be asking for trouble, especially during covid times. You may want to give them a 6 month break honestly.
Oh, I'm done with Chase for a while. I was at 1/30 and 4/24, so this one puts me right at their hard caps of 2/30 and 5/24. They were probably expecting a large number of people to apply to both the Freedom and Freedom Flex anyway. The SUBs will last me a bit, and I'll start swinging at some non-Chase cards next. I'm trying to aggressively build my credit now, while I don't really need it and can afford to take some chances, so that I can make the most of it later. Once all these inquiries drop off, I'm hoping I can hit 800+.

Budhisattva
May 22, 2005

Using a goon referral code, I applied for a Chase Freedom Unlimited in late August when the "$200 Bonus + 5% Back On Groceries (Up To $12k) First Year" promo was active. Now with the card in hand, Chase says "We were not able to locate a promotional offer" for 5% back on groceries. It's set at 3.5% for me. I tried calling over the phone and through Secure Messages, neither of which worked. That's a bummer since it looks like even the new cards are starting at 5% back on groceries. Does anyone have an idea about how to approach this with them?

literally this big
Jan 10, 2007

Here comes
the Squirtle Squad!
I think the 3.5 is in addition to the basic 1.5, for a total of 5.0% cashback. I think.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

I think the 3.5 is in addition to the basic 1.5, for a total of 5.0% cashback. I think.

That would be how I would expect it.

Quaint Quail Quilt
Jun 19, 2006

Ask me about that time I told people mixing bleach and vinegar is okay

Parrotine posted:

I'm surprised I haven't already asked this yet, but if I roll with something like a secured credit card to start generating credit starting from zero, how long will it take to reach a score of 700? That seems to be the standard score qualifier for most credit cards on the market.
I did this in 2018 and it took a year to get to 640.

I did a secured loan of $1000
I managed to qualify for a card through the credit union after 6 months I think and its my highest limit card.

Then it gets a little fuzzy because I got 5k 0% on a central heating and air unit for 5 years (high utilization) got a mortgage, refinanced, but I'm at 740 ~2 years after having no credit score.

And I haven't paid any interest.

Initio
Oct 29, 2007
!
Does anyone know if Chase will claw back any statement or travel credits if you cancel the CSR? My annual fee will show up on my December statement, which gives me until mid January to get the travel credits and door dash credit and still be within the 30 day window for getting the annual fee refunded.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

astral
Apr 26, 2004

According to DoC, Chase's Pay Yourself Back feature for the Sapphire cards has been extended to April 30, 2021, and still includes groceries!

bonus rate (25% for Preferred, 50% for Reserve) posted:

towards grocery and home improvement stores, dining at restaurants, including takeout and delivery services and contributions to eligible charitable organizations