Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Vegastar posted:

We've had poo poo like this happen with some sharepoint portals I have the unfortunate pleasure of dealing with inviting external users to. I remember one org had a tenant established for some printer garbage but boy howdy if that cross-tenant invitation didn't create a user account that nobody knew about in there.

If somebody is piloting o365 or Azure AD somewhere, anywhere touching that domain you'll probably find the account there even though it has no right to be.

I have the most fun with a sister org that doesn't use their e-mail address as their upn.

My users constantly invite the e-mail address to things in sharepoint and teams and it causes all kinds of confusion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

J
Jun 10, 2001

The Fool posted:

if it returns a guid, you have a o365 tenant out there somewhere and need to get control of it

Yeah Bob's company might have a business unit that went out and set up something like power BI and unknowingly created a tenant in that process.

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon

The Fool posted:

I have the most fun with a sister org that doesn't use their e-mail address as their upn.

My users constantly invite the e-mail address to things in sharepoint and teams and it causes all kinds of confusion.

I'm now dealing with one client whose actual email addresses are along the lines of K44764@domain.com for some ungodly reason, but they have regular firstname.lastname aliases set up.

Spring Heeled Jack
Feb 25, 2007

If you can read this you can read

Moo the cow posted:

Shout-out to the organiser of a Teams presentation where they muted the microphones for all attendees, but left the video 'on' by default.

We use teams normally but this is in a weekly webex with a vendor, and I know it prompts you with video and audio options when you join the meeting. No excuses!

angry armadillo
Jul 26, 2010

GargleBlaster posted:

Hello yes I'm not dead (but work are trying their best)

I'd like to take a moment to rant about how, despite proving with detailed daily reports during Working From Home when the UK lockdown was in full swing that I was working flat-out from home on project work (being more productive than in the office, as no distractions), and despite a number of tech support queries resolved over the phone or via splashtop, they STILL hate WFH, STILL have the attitude of presenteeism and insisted on dragging me and the few others they grudgingly 'trusted', back into the office the second the government advice changed to "go to work if you can" in August. As of yesterday the advice u-turned again, but this time it's only "guidance" not actual law, so predictably, not a hint of going back to WFH.

It's perfectly possible to do this job from home. MILDLY inconvenient for any prolonged work via Splashtop as it's a bit sluggish but other than that it should only be necessary to nip in (it's a 6 minute drive) to move something or swap a tape or unfuck a label printer. Sitting there for 8.5 hours a day breathing each others' air is just unnecessary risk.

But the other aspect is people still, even after months of covid, even after trying to get them used to it, seem to hate going to the 'effort' of letting IT talk them through something over the phone, and still jump straight to "can you come and have a look". They still have that attitude that they don't say out loud but can "hear" in their tone, that you're being lazy and awkward by not trekking across the factory to go stand over their shoulder.

Classic example earlier. Sat in office, internal call.
:v: "Computer's being odd, can you come and have a look?"
:raise: "No, I can consult over the telephone first. Can you elaborate on 'being odd' at all?"
:v: "Hmff.. grr.. I don't know!! It just has this blue thing?"
:raise: "What kind of blue thing?"
:v: "*sigh* I don't know there's all this gobbledegook.. it says at the top something about B I O S"
:eng101: "Remove whatever is sat on your F1 key and press escape"
:v: "Oh I think it's doing the microsoft thing now... okay thanks"

See, is it really that hard? Do we really need to be risking spreading covid around because people literally need their hands holding when dealing with a PC? Let us work from home you fucktards. I have every sympathy and respect for people who CAN'T work from home, but for those of us who can... why not?

(I'm particularly concerned about avoiding that drat thing as I live with vulnerable people)

:magical:

I can understand the mistrust of the mainstream media, especially all the clickbait and half-truths about covid, but TWITTER?
Maybe, at a push, YouTube, if you follow someone decent (like say John Campbell for the virus stuff) but who in their right mind gets their news from Twitter :D
How does your manager support you in terms of "you can't explain what odd is? please log a ticket including as much info as you can and we will attend when we can bye"

I have a lot of users of a similar ilk that just want you to turn up because they know you are on site, so in their mind what could you possibly be doing that is more important than their issue?! I am sure it is common amongst places with on site IT - however, the job is about fixing tickets quickly so travelling from job to job is obviously not always the best way at busy, or of course, in covid times.

My opinion is whilst I'd love every user to log their own tickets, I also accept if they can catch us at our desks I don't have a problem logging it over the phone on their behalf but on the whole we are paid to fix stuff, not log stuff - but if they are going to be unhelpful and difficult I am more than happy for staff exercising discretion when the time comes to say "hmm not sure about that if you log a ticket I'll come round when I can" which obviously manages the users expectation that you are not running straight over.

It also creates an audit trail that you can show to management "when the user did their bit in terms of logging their issues, we responded in a timely manner, so I am not sure why concerns are being raised about problems not being addressed promptly"

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

A client of ours bought a new Gen7 Sonicwall, and it’s the buggiest thing I’ve ever had to use. The software is worse than beta quality, the support is slow and the techs know nothing about the products.

I can’t believe people pay money for this garbage.

RoboBoogie
Sep 18, 2008
added a new drinking game rule on a project that i am about to roll off on Friday

"For every missed requirement finish your drink"

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

setting up docusign for saml in adfs was a giant pain in the rear end, it's been two days now and I'm still mad about it

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Really? That's surprising. It was super straight-forward in Azure AD SAML.

grillster
Dec 25, 2004

:chaostrump:
Been dealing with the Godaddy "Yikes! Something went wrong! Try again later" login screen message for like two weeks. Multiple different connections and systems cannot log in. The support people can't figure it out and simply just suggest we keep resetting the password, and they don't seem to know what to do with the information that I given them; this is that the POST request for the login form returns a 423 "too many requests" any time it is submitted. A lone surviving session cookie is our last line in to that account.

Another vendor is "waiting on a fix from the backend team." I don't expect one, because they've also told us to rebuild the product hosted on their platform to reset the part of their product builder that has a bug which is preventing us from using a feature they advertise. Status updates "later in the week" breeze by when they "don't have a way to receive updates from the backend team."

grillster fucked around with this message at 16:12 on Sep 24, 2020

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Internet Explorer posted:

Really? That's surprising. It was super straight-forward in Azure AD SAML.

Their documentation didn't specify what claims I needed to send and I had a bitch of a time getting the nameidentifier right.

Maigius
Jun 29, 2013

lovely API documentation part 2, Facebook Pixel. How am I meant to track a purchase with more than one item? Seriously API documentation writers, demonstrate the api in more than one use case.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

grillster posted:

Been dealing with the Godaddy "Yikes! Something went wrong! Try again later" login screen message for like two weeks. Multiple different connections and systems cannot log in. The support people can't figure it out and simply just suggest we keep resetting the password, and they don't seem to know what to do with the information that I given them; this is that the POST request for the login form returns a 423 "too many requests" any time it is submitted. A lone surviving session cookie is our last line in to that account.

Is there any chance that all those systems you've tried have had an old session cookie in place, even an expired one? It's a stretch, but sometimes an incompatible session (or other cookie) can cause odd server-side errors that baffle first line support.

If you've tried a totally godaddy fresh system and/or incognito mode then disregard this.

grillster
Dec 25, 2004

Jaded Burnout posted:

Is there any chance that all those systems you've tried have had an old session cookie in place, even an expired one? It's a stretch, but sometimes an incompatible session (or other cookie) can cause odd server-side errors that baffle first line support.

If you've tried a totally godaddy fresh system and/or incognito mode then disregard this.

Thanks for inquiring but I've already done the needful in regards to the history, cookies and caches.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

grillster posted:

Thanks for inquiring but I've already done the needful in regards to the history, cookies and caches.

My condolences.

GargleBlaster
Mar 17, 2008

Stupid Narutard

angry armadillo posted:

How does your manager support you in terms of "you can't explain what odd is? please log a ticket including as much info as you can and we will attend when we can bye"

We don't have a ticket system, we're only a relatively small company and his view is generally that if something needs doing you get on and do it (or as you say, we're paid to fix stuff, not log stuff). Usually he will just go straight there, covid or no covid, it's just me who's awkward. Since the time once when I had to march across the site to a "dead" printer and found the problem was the switch being in the 'off' position (not even joking) I like to have a hint of what's wrong before dashing over. As much as I love the exercise, I just can't deal mentally with the inefficiency.

I did try to independently introduce tickets once or twice as this would make it easier to cover our arses also, but since he's not interested and it just basically became my own overcomplicated todo list, it never went anywhere.. tried to seed it by asking people to use tickets for certain requests that affect just me but just no one could be bothered. I had the same problem as I currently have trying to encourage people to use Slack - zero support from above, so people just hear monkey making noises about weird gobbledegook the monkey seems excited about (and tries to communicate in ways they understand but seems to fail to do so) and don't bother with it.

Snipped the rest of the post but totally hear you particularly regarding the ability a ticket system would have to answer some of the complaints people come up with where they say something like "I wish IT would fix my monitor, it's been bad for months" and they never actually reported it but just seemed to expect you to know.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

yeah that sucks. pretty much the same deal here. we have a ticketing system but nobody but me will ever tell someone to submit their request in a ticket so i just look like the unhelpful jerk on the team. my control freak boss wants to be in charge of the ticketing system but is too overworked to do it right so we get teachers sending in tickets like "my computer is crashing 3x a day" and it turns out to be a duplicate of a ticket they submitted two weeks ago that my boss assigned to herself and then ignored. gee i wonder why nobody bothers to submit tickets

Maigius
Jun 29, 2013

Marketing guy: Can you fix this promotion?
Me: You needed to contact us to set things up on our end first. I've set it up on our end.
Marketing guy: Can it be used more than once?
Me: Yes, I can restrict it to only one use per user though. No restrictions on number of users that can use it.
Marketing guy: Great, thanks.

:confused: Do you want me to add the restriction or not?

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

GargleBlaster posted:

(I'm particularly concerned about avoiding that drat thing as I live with vulnerable people)

Does the UK not have a health-related accommodations law? Even in the US I'd have a case for requiring WFH in this situation due to living with family that are at-risk.

As it is the whole company is still WFH unless you really want to work from the office and make arrangements with HR so they can say that they took precautions when it turns into a viral hotbed. And my manager is all for WFH, thankfully. I'm hoping it gets made permanent, that's the only reason I'm still at this company. That and lack of motivation to keep throwing applications at the COVID job market wall.

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy

grillster posted:

Do you have uBlock on these browsers/are you blocking their invasive privacy invading fingerprinting scripts?

grillster
Dec 25, 2004

Biowarfare posted:

Do you have uBlock on these browsers/are you blocking their invasive privacy invading fingerprinting scripts?

I've tried disabling all of these features but no dice. The 423 "too many tries" with one single POST request being sent to them on a fresh connection makes me think it is on their end.

zokie
Feb 13, 2006

Out of many, Sweden

grillster posted:

I've tried disabling all of these features but no dice. The 423 "too many tries" with one single POST request being sent to them on a fresh connection makes me think it is on their end.

Or they could be tracking tries in their backend for the account. You’re probably locked out for many attempts and someone thought it’d be clever to use that HTTP code as the error message.

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe
I learned today that soon I'm getting a 6th direct report.

This new guy worked here for 20 years in my position before quitting back in February, which triggered my hiring.

I'm sure this is going to go just great.

grillster
Dec 25, 2004

zokie posted:

Or they could be tracking tries in their backend for the account. You’re probably locked out for many attempts and someone thought it’d be clever to use that HTTP code as the error message.

That could be the case but all of daddy's horses and men could not put together that conclusion

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer
Pissing me off: ServiceNow implementation at a multi-billion dollar software vendor. User is doing something I didn't know was possible: adding notes to cases by replying to the emails instead of logging into the site. The user has an enormous signature with multiple disclosures/confidentiality notices/etc. The user is not trimming any of the replies. Reading the ticket is a loving nightmare. Why would anyone allow that?

Dunno-Lars
Apr 7, 2011
:norway:

:iiam:

GargleBlaster posted:

But the other aspect is people still, even after months of covid, even after trying to get them used to it, seem to hate going to the 'effort' of letting IT talk them through something over the phone, and still jump straight to "can you come and have a look".

Sounds like you should start wearing a mask that protects YOU instead of everyone else. Aka one with filters, or a N95 mask.
The masks most people wear out in public mostly protect others, not the mask wearer. The filtered ones really only protect the mask wearer, not everyone else. So start wearing one of those. If you get sick, you'll spread it to your lovely coworkers. If they get sick, they won't spread it to you, as long as you wash your hands and don't put dirty fingers in your face/eyes.

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy

Thanatosian posted:

Pissing me off: ServiceNow implementation at a multi-billion dollar software vendor. User is doing something I didn't know was possible: adding notes to cases by replying to the emails instead of logging into the site. The user has an enormous signature with multiple disclosures/confidentiality notices/etc. The user is not trimming any of the replies. Reading the ticket is a loving nightmare. Why would anyone allow that?

ServiceNow is already a terrible nightmare, it's like a human version of a schemaless mongodb where everything is stored as a string. That being said this seems more like a user education problem.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

Biowarfare posted:

ServiceNow is already a terrible nightmare, it's like a human version of a schemaless mongodb where everything is stored as a string. That being said this seems more like a user education problem.
What we really need is email 2.0 with defined, standardized signature and quote blocks.

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy

Thanatosian posted:

What we really need is email 2.0 with defined, standardized signature and quote blocks.

Over time, the chance increases to 100% that marketers and spammers and "important VPs" will be upset that their legal disclaimer and linkedin URLs are relegated to automatically hidden signature blocks, and buy some shady malicious addon sold via Clickbank affiliate links via Quora spam that automatically inject the signature into the primary body area. To prevent "duplicate text signature autodetection" all spaces are replaced with <b color="#FFF" style="background: #FFF">[random character]</b>.

There is a similar case of the Bitcoin forums where they used to allow images, but then those were used for IP logging and DDoS attacks, so now everyone's signature is this 5 line abomination of ascii art/ansi art/japanese fullwidth character blocks forming low resolution icons.

Be green, don't print this post.

Impotence fucked around with this message at 09:41 on Sep 25, 2020

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

tactlessbastard posted:

This new guy worked here for 20 years in my position before quitting back in February, which triggered my hiring.

Make sure he knows he's first in line for the first promotion or raise you can dish out IMO.

oh rly
Feb 22, 2006
oh rly ya rly no wai

Thanatosian posted:

I run ServiceNow at my org. We had to write custom logic to strip all the replies and signature block when users submit tickets via e-mail or reply via e-mail.

Welcome to ServiceNow.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

We just ditched ServiceNow for TeamDynamix. I miss ServiceNow. :(

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

tactlessbastard posted:

And you don't have any say in this? That sounds awful no matter how you slice it. I would honestly start looking for a new job.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Make sure he knows he's first in line for the first promotion or raise you can dish out IMO.

Promotion to what, OPs job? And why should he be getting a raise ASAP? Presumably he just had a chance to negotiate all that.

It does not sound like a good situation to me. There's such a slim chance that he wanted to work at his old job, but with less responsibility. Next up in this list is maybe they liked him and his thing fell through and they are just helping him get back on his feet until he finds a new job. The most likely reality is that they are bringing him back because they want him to replace the OP sooner or later.

It's never good if you get a new employee under you that you had no say over, even for just the reason that it shows no respect for your wishes. It's really not good if it's someone who legitimately seems like they can replace you.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Internet Explorer posted:

It's never good if you get a new employee under you that you had no say over, even for just the reason that it shows no respect for your wishes.

Was trying to pick the right words to say this, but that sums it up. You're getting a report that you've had no say in hiring.

klosterdev
Oct 10, 2006

Na na na na na na na na Batman!
Me: Your password can't have a proper name in it
- Password is rejected
Me: Did your password have a name in it?
User: Yes
Me: Your password cannot have a name in it
- User types new password
Me: Before we submit, does your password have a name in it?
User: No
- Password is rejected
User:
User:
User:
Me: ...alright, just type your new password
- Password is rejected
User: Yes
Me: Your temporary password is $password, you can keep trying until the cows come home if you want but the system will -never- let you make a password with a proper name in it. I am hanging up now, thank you.

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic

Thanatosian posted:

Let’s just clone Radium’s lovely code and have Email 2.0 formatted via SA’s BBCode implementation.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

What do you mean you aren't using Google Wave?

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Thanks Ants posted:

What do you mean you aren't using Google Wave?

Google Wave was awesome and died before its time.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

CEO upgraded to iOS 14. Great!

CEO is also playing with her phone all afternoon putting a ticket in for every tiny thing that the runs into, because we control the phone with MDM. Not great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015

The Fool posted:

Google Wave was awesome and died before its time.