Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

right my point in that statement was on the overall picture, not the ssd itself

i'm p sure digitalfoundry's claims will be on frametime consistency due to the cpu improvements in both consoles and esram vanishing (one s that is, it's gone already in one x)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

y_y
Oct 25, 2011

conversationalist

American McGay posted:

The Series S has the exact same SSD as the Series X though, just half the size.

If that’s the case, games should load faster on the Series S as there’s less RAM to fill...

Zerot
Aug 18, 2006

y_y posted:

If that’s the case, games should load faster on the Series S as there’s less RAM to fill...

And potentially smaller textures on top of that.

Rad Valtar
May 31, 2011

Someday coach Im going to throw for 6 TDs in the Super Bowl.

Sit your ass down Steve.

Wiggly Wayne DDS posted:

cost - pcie4 drives that are fast are only appearing at the end of the year. i wasn't kidding the multiple times i said that the ps5 was using ssd tech that wasn't on the market yet. the rocket linked is 5GB/s for comparison, ps5's is 5.5GB/s min and then there's their decompression on top of that to hit 8-9GB/s sustained

the ssd tech this gen is p wild and where the console single hardware (mostly..) pushes the envelope for everyone involved, and is again why the series s is such a kneecapping decision

e: to be clear pcie4 is just the interface used to connect the drive to other components on the system, it's not the basis of the ssds themselves

It’s funny that the new 7GB/s drives come out the same day as the PS5. They will be the first drives fast enough for the PS5.

Zerot
Aug 18, 2006

Rad Valtar posted:

It’s funny that the new 7GB/s drives come out the same day as the PS5. They will be the first drives fast enough for the PS5.

While you're probably right, it's worth reminding people not to buy any nVME drives for their PlayStation until Sony releases their testing information. These consoles need sustained speeds and sometimes consumer-level drives struggle with that plus consumer drives need a certain amount of headroom above the PS5 spec to be usable.

Rad Valtar
May 31, 2011

Sit your ass down Steve.

Zerot posted:

While you're probably right, it's worth reminding people not to buy any nVME drives for their PlayStation until Sony releases their testing information. These consoles need sustained speeds and sometimes consumer-level drives struggle with that plus consumer drives need a certain amount of headroom above the PS5 spec to be usable.

Yeah I wasn’t suggesting anyone buy one right away. Just that it won’t be long after release.

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

Zerot posted:

The dirty secret with nvme drives: throttling because they're rarely binned for high temp usage.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

incoherent posted:

The dirty secret with nvme drives: throttling because they're rarely binned for high temp usage.

The way around this is specifically getting the drive in the path of airflow, right?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Motherboards often have a heatsink attached that you remove and put your nvme driver under.

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

Twerk from Home posted:

The way around this is specifically getting the drive in the path of airflow, right?

Single sided nvme (only few are), a heatsink (those are stickers, not copper), and sitting in the way of airflow are all things I can think of that would be needed. I am really itching for someone to crack a PS5 up because its apparently all heatsink and airflow and we'll know if they're using a single or dual sided one to get 5.5+gb/sec.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
They said it's proprietary, what if they used some hacked together connector that's actually just two m.2 connectors and their drive is actually two nvme drives in raid0.

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

They could go the apple route and be still be m.2, just electrically different. I'm sure microsoft put some sort of auth chip on these things.

Rad Valtar
May 31, 2011

Sit your ass down Steve.

Cojawfee posted:

They said it's proprietary, what if they used some hacked together connector that's actually just two m.2 connectors and their drive is actually two nvme drives in raid0.

What’s proprietary?

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

i mean their own drive will be just chips soldered to the mainboard theres no reason to use an m.2 internally especially when theyve rolled their own i/o entirely

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY
I'm interested in if the PS5 has enough cooling headspace with those overclocked components to be able to keep the SSD at that high rate of transfer.

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

https://twitter.com/majornelson/status/1308828664004567041

They tell an amusing story about the fallout 3 presentation at e3 a million years ago in this.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

American McGay posted:

The Series S has the exact same SSD as the Series X though, just half the size.
larger drives are often faster because they have more chips to read from in parallel

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Thom12255 posted:

I'm interested in if the PS5 has enough cooling headspace with those overclocked components to be able to keep the SSD at that high rate of transfer.

i mean its gigantic its impossible for it not to unless sony fired all of their hardware engineers

Rad Valtar
May 31, 2011

Sit your ass down Steve.
It’s hilarious to me the concerns of internet posters as if the hardware engineers that built this stuff for years just ignored it.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Copper is expensive.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

Rad Valtar posted:

It’s hilarious to me the concerns of internet posters as if the hardware engineers that built this stuff for years just ignored it.

The best part of being an engineer is informing your bosses of the massive technical downsides of this thing they want to do and them being like "do it anyway." It rules.

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

I'm sure Mark Cerny internal workflow for the PS5 was "How does this work for knack?"

Wardark Grimhams
Mar 8, 2006
It would be trivial to have some heat sinking for the add-on nvme slot, motherboards have done it for a few release cycles now.

Edit: also, most likely the controller on the stick drive will be the only thing that really needs cooling, nand flash likes to run warm.

Wardark Grimhams fucked around with this message at 23:55 on Sep 23, 2020

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Thom12255 posted:

They haven't showed it much in the marketing but the back of the PS5 is actually just a series of huge vents, so I think it'll be just fine there.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

incoherent posted:

I'm sure Mark Cerny internal workflow for the PS5 was "How does this work for knack?"

Unfortunately knack looks like a no go now that so many kid focused games were announced for launch window. (Bugsnax, r+c, sackboy, astrobot)

Cerny is working on something but we dont know what maybe knacks triumpant return is just belated?

Wardark Grimhams
Mar 8, 2006

Real hurthling! posted:

Unfortunately knack looks like a no go now that so many kid focused games were announced for launch window. (Bugsnax, r+c, sackboy, astrobot)

Cerny is working on something but we dont know what maybe knacks triumpant return is just belated?

Cerny is busy importing all the ear scans into the mainframe

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

A man
A plan
Your ear canal

uvar
Jul 25, 2011

Avoid breathing
radioactive dust.
College Slice
I'm hearing that Microsoft has bought Knack

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

Thom12255 posted:

the talk going around is that they're using liquid metal in some capacity, which is a bold claim. other than that they spent a lot on r&d for thermal design so i really want to see one properly examined

the series x is extremely half-assed from the internal shot seen, someone post it itt please. they're proud of using a single fan and have a concerning low amount of intake

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Wiggly Wayne DDS posted:

the talk going around is that they're using liquid metal in some capacity, which is a bold claim. other than that they spent a lot on r&d for thermal design so i really want to see one properly examined

the series x is extremely half-assed from the internal shot seen, someone post it itt please. they're proud of using a single fan and have a concerning low amount of intake

The patent is just a gallium chamber instead of thermal paste they arent like piping quicksilver around in there

Yeah the heatsink looks like it was on the wrong way in one xsx internal shot i saw idk how the air flow works there

Zerot
Aug 18, 2006

Real hurthling! posted:

Yeah the heatsink looks like it was on the wrong way in one xsx internal shot i saw idk how the air flow works there

Digital Foundry seems to like the Series X design well enough.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yxLeYN-t9nw

The large fan spins slowly at the top and air is brought in from the bottom. Seems fine and designed for quiet operation.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013

Rad Valtar posted:

RROD

Rad Valtar
May 31, 2011

Sit your ass down Steve.

You are right, that’s why I’ll never buy a Microsoft console.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013

Rad Valtar posted:

edgy

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

thats not what being edgy means lol

Crafty
Dec 9, 2003

I CAN'T SEE SHIT.

xbox one is the best

Rad Valtar posted:

It's time to forgive

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

the xbox is bad

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

ethanol posted:

the xbox is bad

To the bone?

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Wiggly Wayne DDS posted:

someone post it itt please. they're proud of using a single fan and have a concerning low amount of intake

This pic?

It just looks cramped. The fan looks blocked over most of its surface too. Its probably fine. doubtful it will melt itself just odd.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!
my bones have been the most reliable, with all this hype I guess I will be getting a series x instead of a ps5 although I like the ps5 media remote.