Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

Shinjobi posted:

Just to show how out of the loop I've been for years,

I played axtinguisher a week ago and one swing of it on a flaming dude and the fire disappeared. Is that how they nerfed it? Cause I hate it.

Had to check the wiki to remind myself what it does now. They turned it into this monstrosity:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solanumai
Mar 26, 2006

It's shrine maiden, not shrine maid!
Yeah, it's a minicrit instead of a crit and now it leaves you with a terrible melee weapon out after the first hit that takes longer to put away.

The Powerjack is objectively more useful.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

JFC what did they do to pyro. :smith: Puff and sting was fine.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
I think it also only minicrits burning players or something, but there's like a damage bonus based on how much afterburn time they had left? It's overly complicated and bad now.

Oxygenpoisoning
Feb 21, 2006
I think the Axstinguisher changes were dumb but the reserve shooter changes were fine. Especially with the old airblast that put people exactly at your crosshair. You shouldn’t get free crits just for pushing someone at max airblast distance.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Baron von Eevl posted:

I think it also only minicrits burning players or something, but there's like a damage bonus based on how much afterburn time they had left? It's overly complicated and bad now.

it can technically do up to 160ish damage but will, functionally, do like 120ish max and then they aren't on fire anymore.

You will get infinitely more mileage out of the panic attack because you can switch to it faster, shoot with 6 times and not put fires out or require the enemy to be on fire, and also it's a gun and has range. And it does 108 damage for some reason. It's better in every imaginable way other than the fact that it feels super lame and unsatisfying to use, unlike the axe which has always been cool as hell and felt great.

Dieting Hippo
Jan 5, 2006

THIS IS NOT A PROPER DIET FOR A HIPPO

Ditocoaf posted:

Had to check the wiki to remind myself what it does now. They turned it into this monstrosity:

look at how they massacred my boy

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Note to self: This one's the good one

Oxygenpoisoning posted:

I think the Axstinguisher changes were dumb but the reserve shooter changes were fine. Especially with the old airblast that put people exactly at your crosshair. You shouldn’t get free crits just for pushing someone at max airblast distance.

The reserve shooter literally does nothing for Pyro now, it’s a complete downgrade

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Oxygenpoisoning posted:

yes but it literally does not work on pyro now, and the airblast mechanics that made it good don't even exist anymore, so it's just a vestigial weapon

even if they unnerfed it still wouldn't be as good as the panic attack anyway so it's not even a balance issue

also they're minicrits, it did like 135 damage max

Oxygenpoisoning
Feb 21, 2006
It was intended to be minicrit against players hit into the air by an explosive, not an airblast though. You could put out two shots before someone hit the ground pretty easily, not to mention 135 killed half the classes. It was a jumble of broken mechanics. I think now that they fixed airblast instead of making it an automatic stun lock it might work to bring it back, but the original iteration was too low risk low reward.

Taciturn Tactician
Jan 27, 2011

The secret to good health is a balanced diet and unstable healing radiation
Lipstick Apathy

Oxygenpoisoning posted:

It was intended to be minicrit against players hit into the air by an explosive, not an airblast though. You could put out two shots before someone hit the ground pretty easily, not to mention 135 killed half the classes. It was a jumble of broken mechanics. I think now that they fixed airblast instead of making it an automatic stun lock it might work to bring it back, but the original iteration was too low risk low reward.

If it was supposed to be for people hit into the air by an explosive why would they possibly give it to a class that is completely incapable of knocking people into the air with an explosive if they're using the reserve shooter as their secondary? That's like giving the scout a weapon that crits when you're in midair and then nerfing it and claiming it was always supposed to only do extra damage if you were blastjumping. They did mean for it to work with the airblast, that's why they gave it to the pyro and didn't give it to the heavy or the engineer who also use shotguns.

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

The real use is getting sick kills off of launching a demoman/soldier into the air with a reflect and nailing them midair

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Taciturn Tactician posted:

If it was supposed to be for people hit into the air by an explosive why would they possibly give it to a class that is completely incapable of knocking people into the air with an explosive if they're using the reserve shooter as their secondary? That's like giving the scout a weapon that crits when you're in midair and then nerfing it and claiming it was always supposed to only do extra damage if you were blastjumping. They did mean for it to work with the airblast, that's why they gave it to the pyro and didn't give it to the heavy or the engineer who also use shotguns.

It didn't initially minicrit with airblast, that was added well after the fact.

edit it was 4 months before pyro could equip it, and for the first 4+ years it would minicrit anyone that was airborne for any reason, including jumping or sometimes walking down stairs.

Baron von Eevl fucked around with this message at 01:23 on Sep 24, 2020

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Baron von Eevl posted:

Nah, the original version minicrit on people who were airblasted.
And on people jumping.
And on people dropping from ledges.
And on people walking on stairs.

It was hella obnoxious just getting blasted for 35 all the way across the map because you jumped at the wrong time.

You'd occasionally see people gimmicking with a perma-reserve-shooter soldier skeet shooting people that got airblasted by a pyro, which is why it eventually got added as a pyro secondary instead of being soldier-only.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Baron von Eevl posted:

edit it was 4 months before pyro could equip it, and for the first 4+ years it would minicrit anyone that was airborne for any reason, including jumping or sometimes walking down stairs.

yes but when it was given to pyro the clearly intended usage was for it to minicrit off of airblast, that was the entire point of it

this was too easy to do for the reward received(135 free for airblasting someone was indeed too strong). Their nerf, however, was to literally just make it not actually work, rendering it entirely useless. This continues to be true even though airblast has been changed so that airblasting someone and then hitting them with the reserve shooter is now actually difficult.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
All I know is that the Family Business and the Pomson should both be made usable on every shotgun class instead of being limited to only Heavy and Engineer respectively

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

drrockso20 posted:

All I know is that the Family Business and the Pomson should both be made usable on every shotgun class instead of being limited to only Heavy and Engineer respectively

family business, maybe, but the pomson can go gently caress itself

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

cock hero flux posted:

family business, maybe, but the pomson can go gently caress itself

Didn't say it was any good, just that I think it would be fun to mess around with it on other classes

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

Where's a decent place to play Highlander these days?

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

cock hero flux posted:

yes but when it was given to pyro the clearly intended usage was for it to minicrit off of airblast, that was the entire point of it

this was too easy to do for the reward received(135 free for airblasting someone was indeed too strong). Their nerf, however, was to literally just make it not actually work, rendering it entirely useless. This continues to be true even though airblast has been changed so that airblasting someone and then hitting them with the reserve shooter is now actually difficult.

Sure, but my point was that the gun wasn't originally intended to minicrit people you airblasted, it was meant to combo with rocket launchers, which is why only the guy with rocket launchers could use it. Giving it to pyro was a change in the intended design of the gun.

Jabor posted:

Nah, the original version minicrit on people who were airblasted.
And on people jumping.
And on people dropping from ledges.
And on people walking on stairs.

It was hella obnoxious just getting blasted for 35 all the way across the map because you jumped at the wrong time.

You'd occasionally see people gimmicking with a perma-reserve-shooter soldier skeet shooting people that got airblasted by a pyro, which is why it eventually got added as a pyro secondary instead of being soldier-only.

Yeah, that's fair. It wasn't mean to be paired with airblast was more what I meant but I said it in a dumb and wrong way.

drrockso20 posted:

Didn't say it was any good, just that I think it would be fun to mess around with it on other classes

It's not just that it's a bad weapon, it's an annoying weapon to play against that can seriously gently caress up play in a not good way. Give everyone the Bison as a shotgun replacement instead.

Also make the Bison good.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Baron von Eevl posted:

Sure, but my point was that the gun wasn't originally intended to minicrit people you airblasted, it was meant to combo with rocket launchers, which is why only the guy with rocket launchers could use it. Giving it to pyro was a change in the intended design of the gun.

sssssssssssssssssssssort of? I mean, it was an intended change by the developers of the game, who decided to give it to pyro with the design intention of him using it on people he airblasted?

like you've completely lost me as to what the point you're trying to make is

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
You were going on about how the "original intention" was to work with airblast and that it wasn't originally supposed to be just for soldiers who bounce someone into the air. That's categorically untrue. They changed it to be for pyros too, and then walked that back.

Bluff Buster
Oct 26, 2011

Ditocoaf posted:

... the hell am I even looking at now?

It's been years since I've played TF2, so I'm almost completely out of the loop. I know the ambassador was apparently neutered and I guess the Pyro's Reserve Shooter was too. Any other casualties in Valve's crusade against fun?

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
The LnL doesn't even do extra damage against players now.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Bluff Buster posted:

... the hell am I even looking at now?

It's been years since I've played TF2, so I'm almost completely out of the loop. I know the ambassador was apparently neutered and I guess the Pyro's Reserve Shooter was too. Any other casualties in Valve's crusade against fun?

yes

the ullapool caber is among the most useless weapons in the game and essentially just a glorified kill bind
the sandman/guillotine combo is gone
the baby face blaster is unusable because literally one pistol shot hitting you will now delete your entire boost gauge and leave you helpless
the tide turner doesn't let you do crits anymore and getting shot immediately kills your charge
the shortstop is like, i don't even know what they were going for with this thing now, it's just baffling as to what it's supposed to be for. the alt-fire is a punch for some reason.
atomizer only allows triple jumps when deployed and deploys slower so you will basically never use it
fan-o-war can only mark one person at a time now
the panic attack was changed from being fun but kind of bad to being incredibly boring but also pretty much objectively the best shotgun
the degreaser's entire mechanic was gutted and is now significantly more awkward to use

etc., etc.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
god I am still salty about the baby-face blaster. I have always contended this nerf is worse than -50% health.

QwertySanchez
Jun 19, 2009

a wacky guy
when did they do that to the axtinguisher, last I checked it gave a speed boost but only critted on burning players from behind.

or did I imagine that?

either way that's the most unintuitive thing outside of the heavy damage resistances on wind ups etc.. is that still a thing? TF2 is such a goddamn mess now. I don't even understand why they'd make the changes they did in some cases. caber and the sandman guillotine combo especially stand out as for me as things that perhaps needed a minor tweak at most but ended up getting nerfed straight into the ground.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

It's funny that these things got nerfed but poo poo that is objectively awful to fight that grinds the game to a halt (vaccinator, wrangler) are both untouched

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
valve's "horizontal" nature means that the people who made those changes probably were not the ones who were making changes 2007-2015, and in fact may not have ever played the game to any significant extent at all

so basically some of the CS:GO nerds decided that TF2 was way too wacky and needed to be toned down a bit

harrygomm
Oct 19, 2004

can u run n jump?

harrygomm fucked around with this message at 00:19 on Jan 27, 2021

Solanumai
Mar 26, 2006

the most confusing thing about the continued existence of the vaccinator is that the quickfix was apparently nerfed for some reason? there's like absolutely no reason to use that medigun anymore except to i guess die normally instead of being airblasted away.

The movement speed benefit that used to be unique to it was given to every other medigun, so the only unique things about it are that it lets you explosive jump with your heal target and give them a shittier overheal and uber in exchange for slightly faster healing and a nearly unnoticeable boost to uber charge rate.

is the vaccinator fun for anyone? does anyone actually want this poo poo in the game?

e: like imagine taking a look at the mediguns and thinking the loving quickfix is the one that needs to be adjusted

Solanumai fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Sep 24, 2020

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

The wrangler should mark the engineer for death when its out

Solanumai
Mar 26, 2006

Just take the loving shield off of the turret, this isn't rocket science

e: sorry to be less harsh: the problem is that a lot of engineers dont even use it to shoot people with their turret, they just use it as a "oh poo poo my turret is dying" button in conjunction with the rescue ranger. Marking the engineer for death would only matter if they were actually putting themselves in harms way.

Solanumai fucked around with this message at 18:49 on Sep 24, 2020

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Shere posted:

Just take the loving shield off of the turret, this isn't rocket science

e: sorry to be less harsh: the problem is that a lot of engineers dont even use it to shoot people with their turret, they just use it as a "oh poo poo my turret is dying" button in conjunction with the rescue ranger. Marking the engineer for death would only matter if they were actually putting themselves in harms way.

i feel like the appropriate nerf is just making it so that you can't pick it up while the shield is on but ultimately I don't even think it needs to be nerfed, really, given that it's basically the only thing that gives a traditional engineer any loving hope at all against the endless rocket and pipe spam you get in even moderately skilled servers

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Shere posted:

is the vaccinator fun for anyone? does anyone actually want this poo poo in the game?

it is very fun to have a tool to gently caress with snipers when there are oppressive sightlines :shrug:

Girbot
Jan 13, 2009

Shere posted:

there's like absolutely no reason to use that medigun anymore except to i guess die normally instead of being airblasted away.

Quick-fix is an absolute powerhouse on both extremes of aggregate team-skill.

That's not to say I think it needs to be nerfed for casual, but I understand why it's banned in competitive.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Shere posted:

the most confusing thing about the continued existence of the vaccinator is that the quickfix was apparently nerfed for some reason? there's like absolutely no reason to use that medigun anymore except to i guess die normally instead of being airblasted away.

The movement speed benefit that used to be unique to it was given to every other medigun, so the only unique things about it are that it lets you explosive jump with your heal target and give them a shittier overheal and uber in exchange for slightly faster healing and a nearly unnoticeable boost to uber charge rate.

e: like imagine taking a look at the mediguns and thinking the loving quickfix is the one that needs to be adjusted

vaccinator should be an option that you can buy on the quickfix in MVM and not a standalone weapon

Solanumai
Mar 26, 2006

Girbot posted:

Quick-fix is an absolute powerhouse on both extremes of aggregate team-skill.

That's not to say I think it needs to be nerfed for casual, but I understand why it's banned in competitive.

This was most of the complaining I saw - it changes 6's too much. Okay, fine, ban it in competitive. 6's is the most blighted and unfun game mode anyway.

It's functionally useless in casual, especially when the other three options exist.

Straight White Shark posted:

it is very fun to have a tool to gently caress with snipers when there are oppressive sightlines :shrug:

It's actually the anti-fun, sorry. Putting your head in a sightline means it's forfeit.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Shere posted:

It's actually the anti-fun, sorry. Putting your head in a sightline means it's forfeit.

correct, vaccinator makes the anti-fun (i.e. snipers) sorry

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

the vaccinator is a pathetic item for losers because it really is just "one specific guy on the other team has been kicking my rear end and rather than trying to figure out a way to beat him i'm going to sacrifice my own ability to play the game purely to act as a damage debuff against him".

it should be removed, and then in order to fill the gap of dealing with pubstomp snipers the ullapool caber should be changed to have 100% crit rate if you have the sticky jumper and boots equipped