Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Shodai?
This poll is closed.
Cool 21 75.00%
Nah 7 25.00%
Total: 28 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

MalarkeyToboggan posted:

Most likely. He just can't use his left leg at all. If he falls to juryo he is definitely retiring. Former Ozeki never fall that low with Terunofuji being the exception.

Yeah, Terunofuji being just 25 when he started his slide being the huge asterisks on his career path compared to everyone else. He had time on his side to make it back up and he just kicked everyone’s rear end on the way back.

Koto on the other hand is 36 and broken. It’s not a given that he’d even make his way back up if he sticks around and it’d probably be pretty humiliating if he drops and actually loses in Juryo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cage Kicker
Feb 20, 2009

End of the fiscal year, bitch.
MP's got time to order pens for year year, hooah?

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made

Lipstick Apathy
Above average night for me!

My boy Kaisei looked super focused and put it away quickly!
The dishonor of me trading him away has fueled the fire within Enho. Curses! Hope the official that got annihilated was okay after he walked it off!
Aioyama did himself in in a manner I can only describe as being the bull in a bullfight.
First time I've ever seen a gyoji verdict overturned. Does anything else happen?
I have both Salt Bae and Daieisho so this was a wash for me. My guy won!
Takakeisho continued to look dominant.

This was a very exciting night! Last night had way more good throws though!

Tiny Bug Child
Sep 11, 2004

Avoid Symmetry, Allow Complexity, Introduce Terror
Dang. My picks were doing pretty good until Kiribayama went kyujo.

Kind of wish I'd gone with Tobizaru instead of Hoshoryu for my "exciting new prospect" pick. Tobi's racking up the wins, but even when he loses his matches are really fun to watch.

Cage Kicker posted:

First time I've ever seen a gyoji verdict overturned. Does anything else happen?

No, although the top-ranked gyoji wear daggers on their uniform to signify their willingness to commit seppuku if they mess up a call. (In practice they just offer to resign, and the sumo association almost always turns down their resignation)

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.
If they have too many calls overturned in a short time period, they can be disciplined. The previous Shikimori Inosuke had a bad run a few years ago, from memory and was suspended, or was threatened with suspension.

Firebatgyro
Dec 3, 2010
In awesome news, it looks like Ura is 5-1 from Makushita 5, so with any luck he should be in Juryo next basho.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

I remember there being some grumbling about the last Shikimori Insosuke, but given that he was ultimately forced to retire after getting drunk and fondling a junior gyoji I bet there were a variety of things the NSK was irritated with besides bad calls.

That article also has the funniest Hakuho quote about the incident:

"When Hakuho came out of the heya was also accosted by the press, and responded somewhat in consternation: 'He is not gay as far as I know, but he does love his liquor' before disappearing into the car on his way home."

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

Kenning posted:

I remember there being some grumbling about the last Shikimori Insosuke, but given that he was ultimately forced to retire after getting drunk and fondling a junior gyoji I bet there were a variety of things the NSK was irritated with besides bad calls.

That article also has the funniest Hakuho quote about the incident:

"When Hakuho came out of the heya was also accosted by the press, and responded somewhat in consternation: 'He is not gay as far as I know, but he does love his liquor' before disappearing into the car on his way home."

lol same

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

i've seen plenty of overturned decisions in the monoii and a couple controversial ones, remember getting pissed at one in particular one of the basho where tochinoshin was trying to keep his ozeki rank. that's the first one i can remember where the ref quite clearly made the wrong call tho without much room for debate

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

For fans of non-Sumo MMA, how legit an org is RIZIN? Just saw that former Takanofuji, the 23-year old prospect that got kicked out of juryo last year for beating his assistant is making his MMA debut this week at RIZIN 24 https://www.tapology.com/fightcenter/events/72047-rizin-24. He's fighting as Tsuyoshi Sudario against another 0-0 guy. He's fighting at 265 compared to his twin brother Takagenji who is currently Makushita 1E at weighs in at 379 so it looks like he's actually trying (and is young enough to have potential) to be a real fighter rather than a Sumo dude sideshow.

Takanofuji/Tsuyoshi and Takagenji side-by-side:

So on the scale of 1 being Logan Paul freakshow to 10 being a legit UFC main event, where would this rate?

bessantj posted:

Yeah, none of them seem to have problems marrying stunning women.

Also going back a bit, even if he sucks, the side-by-side is a pretty good answer to this.

Charles Gnarwin
Jul 31, 2014

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

RIZIN is a totally legit MMA company but they are also a Japanese MMA company so the freakshow aspect is still there, especially on NYE.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках
My overall numbers are taking a beating in the back half, because my guys keep getting scheduled against each other.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

baruto fought on 4 of the early rizin cards

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9yH5is2SQE4

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!

Thauros posted:

baruto fought on 4 of the early rizin cards

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9yH5is2SQE4

Baruto is currently 35 years old, his first 3 Rizin opponents that he beat by decision are currently 49, 49 and 50 years old, having MMA records of 1-1, 15-11 and 30-23. Totally legit MMA matchups yup. Anyway then he fought Mirko who is also kinda old (46 now) bus is the real deal so naturally, Baruto never fought again.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
Insert here baruto shadow boxing under a waterfall

whats for dinner
Sep 25, 2006

IT TURN OUT METAL FOR DINNER!

sTobizaru continuing to get really exciting wins. Not even mad he beat my man Wakatakakage. That bout was reeeeal good.

Also someone earlier was saying Aoiyama just needs to use his bulk more to push and boy did he ever today. Almost looked like a completely different dude on the dohyo.

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

Liquid Communism posted:

My overall numbers are taking a beating in the back half, because my guys keep getting scheduled against each other.

Since I don’t start a chance of winning, I am now rooting for results that will set up gimmick teams for the next basho.

So far I am tracking:

Team Taka: They have an Ozeki and Takanosho probably at Komsubi. They need one of Takayasu or Takarafuji to lose out though or else they will both be 1-5 and they won’t have a 6-10. Wakatakakage is also available as a cheat option depending on where he winds up. The are definitely going to be missing someone at 11+ though.

Team Yama: The Mountains were looking pretty good until Kiribayama got hurt and might actually fill out a full team if they cheat and use the Fujis as well. Asanoyama and Terunofuji take the top 2 spots. They need Aoiyama to finish strong to get into 1-5 and hope that Kiribayama and Yukatayama drop into the right spots (and to actually be healthy).

Team Ryu: The dragon team has the numbers but they’ve had a rough tournament. Kakuryu takes the top spot, but is a question mark. They don’t have another Sanyaku guy and Myogiryu seems likely to drop out of 1-5 range. And with none of Ryuden, Tokushoryu, Chiyotairyu or Hoshoryu doing well, the entire 6 man squad might have losing records.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

enho started looking alive once i dumped him, happy to give him some luck

pseudodragon posted:

Since I don’t start a chance of winning, I am now rooting for results that will set up gimmick teams for the next basho.

So far I am tracking:

Team Yama: The Mountains were looking pretty good until Kiribayama got hurt and might actually fill out a full team if they cheat and use the Fujis as well. Asanoyama and Terunofuji take the top 2 spots. They need Aoiyama to finish strong to get into 1-5 and hope that Kiribayama and Yukatayama drop into the right spots (and to actually be healthy).

was gonna say you could use the "zans" as well as that also means mountain and like yama is written with "山”. shohozan's not gonna be able to help you much tho and he seems to be the only one rn....

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I've gotta say, after this basho I'm definitely on the Tobizaru hype train. I hadn't heard much about him before this, but he's so high-energy and fun to watch!

Day 12 standings:

code:
38	anakha
37	Banana Canada
41.5	bartolimu
34.5	Beeswax
35.5	bessantj
28.5	Cage Kicker
29.5	Charles Gnarwin
38.5	Chinook
34.5	Dias
34.5	Diplomat
46	Fluffdaddy
34	Foehammer007
33.5	Gerund
34.5	GoatSeeGuy
33.5	ilmucche
37.5	Helianthus Annuus
29	Jobbo_Fett
37	Kenning
37	Lid
31.5	Liquid Communism
34	Lone Goat
38	Maigius
44	MalarkeyToboggan
33.5	Marching Powder
32.5	Martytoof
34	Mekchu
38.5	pseudodragon
28.5	QuasiQuack
34	Robviously
29.5	sivad
38	Skjorte
44	Sub Rosa
32.5	Thauros
42	Tiny Bug Child
34.5	whats for dinner

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!

Kenning posted:

I've gotta say, after this basho I'm definitely on the Tobizaru hype train. I hadn't heard much about him before this, but he's so high-energy and fun to watch!

He's always been really fun to watch but it's a little surprising seeing him do this well, it feels like he's been flip flopping 8-7 and 7-8 in Juryo for long time but this year he's just been much more successful.

Just for reference, here's his 2018/2019:

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

How does his performance stand against other "best debuts in top division"?

Fluffdaddy
Jan 3, 2009

Sub Rosa posted:

He’s no Hakuho but he is close to someone like Shodai or maybe even Ura pre injury

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!

Fluffdaddy posted:

He’s no Hakuho but he is close to someone like Shodai or maybe even Ura pre injury

You're talking about performance over their first few tournaments right? Rather than literally just their debut, since Ura's was 8-7.

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

Sub Rosa posted:

If I didn’t screw up the query there’s 86 guys since 1938 that have 10+ wins on their debut.

http://sumodb.sumogames.de/Query.aspx?show_form=0&form1_wins=%3E9&form1_m=on&form1_debutd=on&sort_basho=1

10+ = 86 (Including a 10-0 guy in 1946)
11+ = 40
12 + = 14
13 = 3

The recent guys that hit 10 are hit or miss with guys like Asanoyama and Shodai, but also a few who quickly dropped back down. Kiribayama got 11 in January and it’s too early to say on him, but before that it was Ichinojo who was 13-2 in 2014 and Aoiyama who was 11-4 in 2011. Only 9 guys have done 11+ since 2000 including Hakuho, Baruto and Goeido.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

Yeah, Ichinojo went 13-2, was immediately promoted to sekiwake, and everyone was ready for him to just keep on going to yokozuna. Unfortunately, as Bruce at Tachiai always says, simply being enormous is not a sumo strategy. When Ichi is in good shape and energized he's goddamn unstoppable, but he seems to do worse when he gets bigger, since he gets slower and more tentative.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Goeido went 11-4 on his debut.

Foehammer007
Dec 7, 2011

by Pragmatica
Wakatakakage so good and Enho is bae

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!

Kenning posted:

Yeah, Ichinojo went 13-2, was immediately promoted to sekiwake, and everyone was ready for him to just keep on going to yokozuna. Unfortunately, as Bruce at Tachiai always says, simply being enormous is not a sumo strategy. When Ichi is in good shape and energized he's goddamn unstoppable, but he seems to do worse when he gets bigger, since he gets slower and more tentative.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zIl_95leRcM

here's all of Ichinojo's bouts on his debut

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

it’s been noted that rikishi debuting in makuuchi often have very solid performances accompanied by winning one of the special prizes tho usually not *this* good. i guessed the wrong one...

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

Yeah, I usually try to get a makuuchi debutante on my team because of that, but I went with Hoshoryu this time. Whoops!

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

Kenning posted:

Yeah, I usually try to get a makuuchi debutante on my team because of that, but I went with Hoshoryu this time. Whoops!

Sounds like quite a few of us made the same mistake. Rooting for the new guy is fun and Hoshoryu had the hype around him.

Fluffdaddy
Jan 3, 2009

Brut posted:

You're talking about performance over their first few tournaments right? Rather than literally just their debut, since Ura's was 8-7.

Yea over a few tournaments. Usually first tournament isn’t a super good indicator like the Ichinonjo example. He was just SO big when he made his debut but that’s pretty much all he has.

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

"I was being quiet and trying to be a good boy but he dialed the right combination to open the throw-down vault and it was on."

"Walter Foxx is ten times brighter than your bulb at the bottom of the tree merry xmas"
mekchu asked me to make a thread about moat fights

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3941694

maybe we'll watch some moat fights tomorrow night instead of the normal slate of full metal dojo i had planned

QuasiQuack
Jun 13, 2010

Ducks hockey baybee
Tobizaru's expression after that win was incredible hahaha

whats for dinner
Sep 25, 2006

QuasiQuack posted:

Tobizaru's expression after that win was incredible hahaha

Yeah, that bout was so great

Tochinoshin losing by a handful of millimetres after that incredible pivot was heartbreaking

Terunofuji having arthritis in his knee in his mid-twenties is brutal

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
I'm having some rotten luck with my picks getting injured or fighting each other. Disastrous fantasy basho for me.

Man, we could have six rikishi at 11 wins going into day 15, what the gently caress. When the yokozuna are out...

whats for dinner
Sep 25, 2006

Dias posted:

Man, we could have six rikishi at 11 wins going into day 15, what the gently caress. When the yokozuna are out...

I have my fingers crossed for an absolute monster of a playoff

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

This threads new favourite monster Hokuseiho has gone 7-0 in Jonidan. The only Rikshi to do so, looks like he'll take the yusho for that division and be in Sandanme for the next basho.

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

Kotoshogiku is definitely broken at this point, and I think it likely is his final basho. :( It was very kind of Ichinojo to treat him so gently, he's suffered enough.

Enho got straight up matadored by Meisei. It was a sweet move but I feel bad for the little guy.

Once again, Aoiyama tried throwing his much smaller opponent so many times instead of just going forward, and eventually he got pushed out. Good technique by Kotoeko but yamadude you weigh a ton just Go Forward. I can only guess his heavily-wrapped knees rival Tochinoshin's for power and that's why he fights backward so much, it's just a shame to see so much meat go unused.

Tochinoshin showed off why they put the loose sand around the tawara, which was nice of him :smith: Are we going to see two ex-Ozeki retirements after this basho?

Hokutofuji HOW THE gently caress DIDN'T YOU SEE THAT COMING HOLY poo poo

Shodai pulled off a nice win in probably the most important match of the day. Good job resisting Takakeisho's pressure and pulling a nice throw. This basho is the best I've ever seen him fight, and he's my pick to beat Tobizaru and Wakatakakage (who are both on my team, sadly) for the yusho.

Asanoyama may have started out badly, but that was some serious dominant big Ozeki sumo against Mitakeumi today. Very impressive. Shame he can't go back and pick up one of those three losses to be in the yusho race.

Charles Gnarwin
Jul 31, 2014

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

Isn’t Asanoyama still in it if both of the leaders drop a match and he continues to win? Same of everyone else at 10-3.

Such an exciting basho

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

Charles Gnarwin posted:

Isn’t Asanoyama still in it if both of the leaders drop a match and he continues to win? Same of everyone else at 10-3.

Such an exciting basho

He's actually going to be facing one of the two leaders tomorrow
so def still in it.