Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
Shame it's a great amp, especially for a freebie. Have you looked at Nalex? Their stuff is all 64 bit Windows and Mac.

http://nalexsoft.blogspot.com/?m=1

The Pectifier is pretty decent as are the others, especially the Crunchman (Friedman) and Uber .
Amplex has a whole lot of settings that load into the same facia, it's a bit odd cos you basically load a text file in for the base tone then can tweak as normal via front panel- it has the Pectifier, the rest of the lineup and a few others. Supposedly if you're brave you can design your own amps by editing text files too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

duodenum
Sep 18, 2005

Baron von Eevl posted:

Or you could just use a boost pedal, get a comparable signal level to the amp without the detrimental effects of having it be so dark and impeding the strings.

That's what I'm thinking.

Boutique pickups just scream snake oil to me. Wind wire around a magnet, detect the vibration of the strings through the disturbances in the magnetic field. Pass signal to electronics that will do with it as I please. The only legitimate variable is the physical effect the magnetic field may have on the string. So, there should be a happy medium between sensitivity and magnetic drag on the strings. Give me that, and I will do the rest with my Metal Zone (lol).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y1Io-z6rkZQ

This video shows several active pickups alongside the Duncan Solar which is a medium output passive humbucker, and they all seem only about an EQ and a tube screamer apart.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
Went window shopping for guitars and gently caress the Paranomal Tele from Squier is sick.

Pretty much the guitar I would make ala The Homer car. A Tele with a nice dark brown natural wood and contours. If I do a series mod to that, oh man.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

skooma512 posted:

Went window shopping for guitars and gently caress the Paranomal Tele from Squier is sick.

Pretty much the guitar I would make ala The Homer car. A Tele with a nice dark brown natural wood and contours. If I do a series mod to that, oh man.

I was just looking at those today. Squier, you've done it again!

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Rolabi Wizenard posted:

Boutique pickups just scream snake oil to me. Wind wire around a magnet, detect the vibration of the strings through the disturbances in the magnetic field. Pass signal to electronics that will do with it as I please. The only legitimate variable is the physical effect the magnetic field may have on the string. So, there should be a happy medium between sensitivity and magnetic drag on the strings. Give me that, and I will do the rest with my Metal Zone (lol).

This video shows several active pickups alongside the Duncan Solar which is a medium output passive humbucker, and they all seem only about an EQ and a tube screamer apart.

Boutique yes but aftermarket no.

yeah sure if you want to be reductionist, the only real difference is that each model has a different frequency response which can be addressed with an EQ but id be curious to see an "impulse response" type test of how the nonlinearity of each pickup models vary because I highly doubt your EQ will take that into account.

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

skooma512 posted:

it's just a telemaster basically right? iirc fender made a limited run expensive american one a couple years back but it's weird they waited so long to do a regular production model

Rolabi Wizenard posted:

well sure every pickup's gonna sound pretty similar if you're playing through an am radio inside a metal trash can

The Muppets On PCP fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Sep 23, 2020

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

shmups are da best come play some shmups they're cheap and good and you like them
Plaster Town Cop
i've been hunting for a resource to get into hybrid picking after trying to learn Shake Your Hips and ran across this fantastic series by Danny Gatton:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KRnDMPbtUSM

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Rolabi Wizenard posted:

Yes and no, that's more or less the only way the pickup is going to impact the strings, but pickups can have a wider variance besides EQ and level. Like most of the differences you're going to hear are going to sound more or less like a different EQ, but magnetic fields are weird things and different pickups shape them differently, picking up different parts of the string and pushing certain harmonics forward - again, this is mostly going to sound like "brighter" or "warmer" or "honky" but it's more complex than just a graphic EQ.

Like jaguar pickups, they have those little metal teeth looking things along the sides? You can see them here:

Those shape the field in a really loving weird way, you end up with like a figure 8 centered around the pole piece so the field is actually focused entirely differently than what you'd see on an otherwise identical seeming strat pickup. The dude that runs the CLF Research instagram account tested this with a field tester a while back and confirmed Leo's theory about how it would work.

I've posted before about where the magic in a tele bridge pickup comes from, but the big metal plate underneath the pickup and the big metal bridge plate above and surrounding it do weird things and really narrow the field down while keeping it relatively strong compared to how the pickup is rated, just in a much narrower way.

Classic lipstick pickups (not tele neck pickups, but I assume their cover does something kind of similar) are extremely loving microphonic owning to the literal lipstick tube they're in, they get kinda boomy in odd places and can feedback more than you might expect. The old pickups were also wound in a weird way, instead of being neatly wound around a bobbin they were just sort of randomly wired and I think directly around the magnet. The field is weird and scattered, not focused on each string the way a strat pickup or something would be with the poles. The result is you get a ton of string smear and lose a bunch of definition, I always think it sounds more "wall of sound"y but doesn't really cut through the way a tele or something does.

duodenum
Sep 18, 2005

You're right, the tele bridge pickup is a good example of something with a really distinctive character. I haven't had much experience listening for that Jaguar pickup, but I will check it out.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

The Lace humbucker Johnny Greenwood uses sounds cool and very unique because of that “focusing” poo poo they do. It’s not my thing but it is very cool.

widefault
Mar 16, 2009
I'm still really happy with the 60s Fender Coronado pickup I put into the neck of my GFS bodied tele.

Made by DeArmond, measures ~13K, but is not dark even in the neck. Balances well with the slightly overwound bridge, and has a great quack in the middle mostly because they are out of phase. I do have a phase switch planned, just did not get to that part yet.

I've got a pair of Teisco gold foils here, with one of them destined for a Tele neck position, just have't figured out which Tele it's going into.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Yeah, there's a ton of variance between single coil designs because Leo focused on those and was always trying to invent a new pickup design or wiring scheme. Seth Lover was a genius about this stuff too but he basically gave us the PAF and the Fender hum you see on 70s tele customs and deluxes. I feel like you don't get a ton of other variances in humbuckers the way you do in single coils because that's just kind of where the effort has been focused and almost every humbucker invented outside of like mini hums, the Fender wide-range pickups, single coil sized hums, and vintage ones like the filtertrons and toasters are direct swap ins for a PAF with different ratings or magnets.

For single coils you have strat pickups, tele pickups (both of them), jaguars, jazzmasters, P90s, lipsticks, rickenbacker's weird mini-hum sized single coil pickups (the horseshoe one and the one that's closer to a P90), dynasonics, and then weird hybrids like the G&L z-coil pickups that are like a cross between a single coil and a hum and are basically p-bass pickups designed for guitars.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

I think humbuckers have since had their time to have a billion variants. Thank Seymour Duncan for a million humbucker flavors because there’s double the combinations of wire/insulation/bobbin/magnet/winding style AND you can also mismatch the number coil windings for interesting midrange effects.

Avedissian Pickups make fun humbuckers with one bar magnet being alnico and the other being ceramic.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Sure, but every one of those can be swapped in from a PAF, and there's so much room for loving with things by modifying the size and shape of the field.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
I think active pickups (EMG) are super cool. That alone proves that humbuckers aren't done being improved upon.

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

Hello. I bought a guitar. Yesterday, I had never held a guitar before. Today, my fingers hurt. I am excited. I want to keep practicing, but I know my fingers need to rest.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

ColdPie posted:

Hello. I bought a guitar. Yesterday, I had never held a guitar before. Today, my fingers hurt. I am excited. I want to keep practicing, but I know my fingers need to rest.

That's a good lookin' guitar. Good energy. Remember its a marathon, not a sprint, and what really matters is that you keep playing every day and don't put it in a closet, rather than doing a zillion hours in a single day.

Keep the guitar somewhere in your room where its always visible. That helps. And find some songs that are easy and fun to play so you keep on rockin.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Baron von Eevl posted:

Sure, but every one of those can be swapped in from a PAF, and there's so much room for loving with things by modifying the size and shape of the field.

A PAF is a very specific configuration of that not the other way around. Anything with two bar magnets and two coils does not a PAF make. :science:

osker
Dec 18, 2002

Wedge Regret

ColdPie posted:

Nice! Do you still have the Deluge? When you get acquainted with your new guitar can you fiddle with the two and report back?

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

I like that guitar.

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

Zaphod42 posted:

That's a good lookin' guitar. Good energy. Remember its a marathon, not a sprint, and what really matters is that you keep playing every day and don't put it in a closet, rather than doing a zillion hours in a single day.

Keep the guitar somewhere in your room where its always visible. That helps. And find some songs that are easy and fun to play so you keep on rockin.

Good advice. It is right next to my desk. I decided to practice over the lunch hour, which I think should help me be consistent. Thinking ahead to Minnesota Winter in COVID-times.

osker posted:

Nice! Do you still have the Deluge? When you get acquainted with your new guitar can you fiddle with the two and report back?

Yep! It's got the live looping mode in their latest major update, which should be fun to practice against, and I'd like to use it as another instrument in the synth tracks I've been making. I think it'll be a good while before I can play well enough for any of that, though. Last time I actually had to play to a beat instead of programming a piano roll was in high school.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

ColdPie posted:

I love that color, hell yeah dude keep it up

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

A PAF is a very specific configuration of that not the other way around. Anything with two bar magnets and two coils does not a PAF make. :science:

I just mean they're the same size, use similar bobbins, have screws in the same places, are reliant on the exact same principals, and can be wired as a drop-in replacement. You can't use a tele bridge pickup in a jaguar without some modifications. A dynasonic won't fit in a jazzmaster. These are radically different configurations whereas 90% of humbuckers on the market are effectively just Seth Lover's original design but modified somewhat.

edit a big exception is firebird pickups which look like minihums but are actually from loving outer space and have a wild design

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

I loved Seth Lover on Yo! MTV Raps

widefault
Mar 16, 2009

Baron von Eevl posted:

edit a big exception is firebird pickups which look like minihums but are actually from loving outer space and have a wild design

Eh, it's a shrunken humbucker version of the Melody Maker pickup, with the coils wrapped around magnetic blades.

Then there's the Epi New York.

Looks like a mini-hum, but flip it over

Coil wrapped around a magnet that's on a huge flat plate, parallel with the strings, with screws out at the edge acting like pole pieces

duodenum
Sep 18, 2005

Chip McFuck
Jul 24, 2007

We droppin' like a comet and this Vulcan tried to Spock it/These Martians tried to do it, but knew they couldn't cop it

Baron von Eevl posted:

I just mean they're the same size, use similar bobbins, have screws in the same places, are reliant on the exact same principals, and can be wired as a drop-in replacement. You can't use a tele bridge pickup in a jaguar without some modifications. A dynasonic won't fit in a jazzmaster. These are radically different configurations whereas 90% of humbuckers on the market are effectively just Seth Lover's original design but modified somewhat.

I think its kind of strange to write them off just because they have a somewhat standardized form factor. Like, I would really hesitate to call something like Fluances that can switch between pickup voicing on the fly or Alumitones, P-Rails, or the sustainiac as anything but innovative.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Baron von Eevl posted:

not really, though. You're describing footprints which aren't all that important to the sound. It's why you can wind a PAF for a Tele bridge footprint and it sounds pretty dang ol the same as if you had routed a PAF-sized hole and put a full sized one in there.

edit: added folksy language to allow for "yea it'll sound a little different but it's so close that you know what I mean."

Dang It Bhabhi! fucked around with this message at 07:24 on Sep 24, 2020

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Huxley posted:

In my house we call those "stupid fingers" and unless you have something you really need to push through for professional reasons, "try again tomorrow" is the only cure.

Truth.

Today's practice session made up for yesterday and then some. I'd only intended to go through some finger exercises but then I decided gently caress it, going to try a new song and had a go at knocking on heaven's door. Not a hard song, obviously, but still my first stab. Picked it up way quicker than anticipated so ended up practising for 2 hours today so I'm pleased.

BDA
Dec 10, 2007

Extremely grim and evil.
I recently got a Yamaha NTX1 and have been having a great time with it. It's my first nylon-string so I've got some questions:
1.) Is it normal for bending to be almost impossible? The strings are nice and soft so getting deflection is no problem but the pitch change is barely noticeable. I've had to ditch my usual vibrato and use the rocking-back-and-forth method instead.
2.) What kinds of picks are suitable/unsuitable? I've mostly been using my fingers on it but using a pick every now and then is fun, and I want to be sure I won't use something that chews the strings up. Googling this just gets you a horde of nerds who are aghast at the very idea and seem convinced your soundboard will explode a la Trigger the instant a plectrum touches your strings.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
They make heavy felt ukulele picks that would probably get destroyed themselves before you did any damage to a string.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Huxley posted:

They make heavy felt ukulele picks that would probably get destroyed themselves before you did any damage to a string.

I had one of those for bass and destroyed it within half a song because I'm an oafish idiot.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Spanish Manlove posted:

I had one of those for bass and destroyed it within half a song because I'm an oafish idiot.

They say bass/uke pick right on the package though! I have no idea what kind of picks you're supposed to be playing bass with. I've had mine a few weeks and have been having a lot of fun with it, and when I've decided to try a pick it's just been a nylon 88.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
I wanna be clear that I'm not disparaging hums, I'm saying I think there's a lot more ground to cover regarding innovation. Fluences are a radical design departure in some ways but are ultimately using a lot of the same principles of a traditional hum. Z coils are a perfect example, kind of a single coil/hum crossover. There are two bobbins and two coils, but each one only covers 3 strings so each individual string effectively has a single coil on it but in total it's still humbucking. That's weird! We can take that further and do some weird stuff, develop interesting ideas without being tethered to looking like this:

BDA
Dec 10, 2007

Extremely grim and evil.
I don't want weird-shaped pickups, I want something that'll fit in my guitar.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

I still feel like you're hung up on the look/shape of it. There's been some weirder stuff like the hexaphonic pickup (an output for each string) or photosensor-based pickups but they aren't terribly useful. The basic premise of a pickup is detecting vibrations either acoustically or electromagnetically. In the case of the latter that means an inductor which is a wire wrapped around a magnet of some sort. It'd be cool if something came along that found a viable, musical way to detect string vibration but I'm not holding my breath.

duodenum
Sep 18, 2005

Baron von Eevl posted:

Z coils are a perfect example, kind of a single coil/hum crossover. There are two bobbins and two coils, but each one only covers 3 strings so each individual string effectively has a single coil on it but in total it's still humbucking.

Wow, that sounds pretty interesting. I'll have to check that out too.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Huxley posted:

They say bass/uke pick right on the package though! I have no idea what kind of picks you're supposed to be playing bass with. I've had mine a few weeks and have been having a lot of fun with it, and when I've decided to try a pick it's just been a nylon 88.

It's partially a joke at how I play lol, the felt picks are fine for normal people.

I just use green tortex 0.88 picks on bass and even then I wear those out pretty quickly. I used to need a fresh one each band practice.

Ferg
May 6, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
For the THR owners, is there a compelling reason to get a THR30II over a THR10II? I get that the wattage is higher, though I don't fully understand the impact of that in a solid state context. What will I notice between the two besides $50?

edit: there is no THR20 dumbass

Ferg fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Sep 24, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Anime Reference posted:

I don't want weird-shaped pickups, I want something that'll fit in my guitar.

My first guitar was a V2 :smith:

I always loved how weird it looked but I was still jealous of the sound of my bandmate’s cheap humbuckers, I just didn’t know enough to put it together at the time.