Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nonexistence
Jan 6, 2014
No most lawyers would agree with you and find any other belief laughably naive. Some old dinosaurs remember and care deeply about when law was "a profession and not a business" and feel any criticism on the foundational legitimacy of anything about the justice system is an attack on their identity as a lawyer. See eg attorney advertising, referral fees, etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Still Dismal posted:

Wow one of the older lawyers at the place I'm working for got really pissed when I casually mentioned that republicans would appoint someone who would advance their policy goals to SCOTUS, he was the one that brought up the subject too so it's not like I was idly chatting on work time. Borderline screamed at me that I didn't understand that judiciary and judicial philosophy (something about originalism) if I thought that justices were just "politicians in robes". Is this (the supreme court being impartial) really like a sacrosanct belief or shibboleth among lawyers?

Because uhh, there is more than a little research showing that it isn't true.

I mean, if that were true, it would mean that our profession was largely farcical and more about power and privilege than actual justice. And admitting that would be rather difficult if you'd spent your whole life in the profession, wouldn't it?

I

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

The tracks go off in this direction.

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

I mean, if that were true, it would mean that our profession was largely farcical and more about power and privilege than actual justice. And admitting that would be rather difficult if you'd spent your whole life in the profession, wouldn't it?

I

That and if older lawyer agrees with the politics of those judges, he has an interest in the court still appearing impartial and apolitical. Like you'd never admit to cheating at golf if you were winning every hole.

He yelled because he's insecure.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Still Dismal posted:

Wow one of the older lawyers at the place I'm working for got really pissed when I casually mentioned that republicans would appoint someone who would advance their policy goals to SCOTUS, he was the one that brought up the subject too so it's not like I was idly chatting on work time. Borderline screamed at me that I didn't understand that judiciary and judicial philosophy (something about originalism) if I thought that justices were just "politicians in robes". Is this (the supreme court being impartial) really like a sacrosanct belief or shibboleth among lawyers?

It's generally wise to avoid bothering blarzgh until after he's had his supper.

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

https://twitter.com/IsaacDovere/status/1308840513567682562

lol of course.

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

ENFORCE THE UNITED STATES DRESS CODE AT ALL COSTS!

This message paid for by the Men's Wearhouse& Jos A Bank Lobbying Group
Supreme Court has only been "political" since like the 1830's. Come on whippersnappers, have some respect.

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"

Still Dismal posted:

1. He's incredibly naive and probably just never actually challenged his own world view
2. The US President literally just said today that he wants a justice that will decide the election (in his favor), so apparently it's not too far off the mark

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.
If you squinted, you could maybe be that naive up until the Bork nomination, but after that would take some willful blindness.

SlyFrog
May 16, 2007

What? One name? Who are you, Seal?
If it wasn't political, and they really were impartial, I should not be able to tell how they will vote on something ahead of time with nearly unerring accuracy.

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

joat mon posted:

If you squinted, you could maybe be that naive up until the Bork nomination, but after that would take some willful blindness.

In the 1930s the supreme court suddenly magically changed its rulings on the new deal to avoid court expansion so I think this would have have to be the end point in the modern era for the end of the belief in impartial judiciary.

Weren't you admitted that year?

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020

Still Dismal posted:

You should ask this geezer what he thinks the purpose of the Federalist Society is, next time you see him.

Fill Baptismal
Dec 15, 2008
He’s actually mentioned that to me as a possible source of funding for research I should look into, funnily enough. Evidently they have some grants for social science stuff. I don’t know a ton about legal politics because it’s not my area, but I know enough about them to know they’d never fund me though. And yeah, he is very old indeed.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

Hot Dog Day #91 posted:

In the 1930s the supreme court suddenly magically changed its rulings on the new deal to avoid court expansion so I think this would have have to be the end point in the modern era for the end of the belief in impartial judiciary.

Weren't you admitted that year?

I was just addressing the appointment process.
But no, I'm not busy bitter at all that that coward Roosevelt didn't expand the court. I was _THAT CLOSE_.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

MechaX posted:

1. He's incredibly naive and probably just never actually challenged his own world view
2. The US President literally just said today that he wants a justice that will decide the election (in his favor), so apparently it's not too far off the mark

He also said the following:

Reporter: "Win, lose or draw in this election, will you commit here today for a peaceful transferal of power after the election?"

President Trump: "We're going to have to see what happens."

Soon the study of law may be entirely obsolete! What a relief.

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009
Bush v gore 2 is going to be loving lit. I hope Roger stone is a central figure again

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

Remember how Bush v. Gore had no precedential value? lol

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!
Under these specific facts, we hold that votes in Florida that favor a democrat will not be counted so that George W. Bush will be president and Al Gore will not.

Truly fulfilling the mandate of the Supreme Court. I haven’t read the decision in years, how did they justify granting cert?

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

Look Sir Droids posted:

Remember how Bush v. Gore had no precedential value? lol

Had a lot of presidential value

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

Phil Moscowitz posted:

Under these specific facts, we hold that votes in Florida that favor a democrat will not be counted so that George W. Bush will be president and Al Gore will not.

Truly fulfilling the mandate of the Supreme Court. I haven’t read the decision in years, how did they justify granting cert?

Equal Protection Clause based on counties using different methods to do their re-counts.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Phil Moscowitz posted:

quote:

On December 8, 2000, the Florida Supreme Court ordered, inter alia, that manual recounts of ballots for the recent Presidential election were required in all Florida counties where so-called "undervotes" had not been subject to manual tabulation, and that the manual recounts should begin at once. Noting the closeness of the election, the court explained that, on the record before it, there could be no question that there were uncounted "legal votes"-i. e., those in which there was a clear indication of the voter's intent-sufficient to place the results of the election in doubt. Petitioners, the Republican candidates for President and Vice President who had been certified as the winners in Florida, filed an emergency application for a stay of this mandate. On December 9, this Court granted the stay application, treated it as a petition for a writ of certiorari, and granted certiorari.

There was no petition for cert. The court just made it up and took the case.

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

Y'all almost sucked me into replying to this poo poo I know your game.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Nice piece of fish posted:

Had a lot of presidential value

I am writing this joke down now so that I can be hilarious outside this thread in November.

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

Mr. Nice! posted:

There was no petition for cert. The court just made it up and took the case.

I had no idea it was an original action. Is Bush v. Gore worth reading?

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

Well it has no precedential value but it did stop a recount from continuing so that uh...911 could happen so sure

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

The Kingfish posted:

I had no idea it was an original action. Is Bush v. Gore worth reading?

It's not exactly an original action. The SCoFL ordered a recount. While the recount was in the early stages, Bush & Cheney asked the SCOTUS for a stay on the SCoFL's recount. The SCOTUS granted the stay and treated the request for one as a petition for cert to hear the case.

Then the majority twists itself into knots to say that on a per county level that due process and equal protection had been violated because different counties had different recounts. It is a really bad decision and the dissents explain how bullshit it was.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

Vox Nihili posted:

It's generally wise to avoid bothering blarzgh until after he's had his supper.

GRUMBLRUMBL WHO'S SUMMONED ME BEFORE I FINISHE MY TENDIES

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009

Mr. Nice! posted:

It's not exactly an original action. The SCoFL ordered a recount. While the recount was in the early stages, Bush & Cheney asked the SCOTUS for a stay on the SCoFL's recount. The SCOTUS granted the stay and treated the request for one as a petition for cert to hear the case.

Then the majority twists itself into knots to say that on a per county level that due process and equal protection had been violated because different counties had different recounts. It is a really bad decision and the dissents explain how bullshit it was.

Also, it can't be said enough, they said it had no precedential value. They did this because the supposed equal protection violation, if extrapolated, would mean that all other elections were also violations lol

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

terrorist ambulance posted:

Also, it can't be said enough, they said it had no precedential value. They did this because the supposed equal protection violation, if extrapolated, would mean that all other elections were also violations lol

I’m sure Anthony Kennedy will speak up when :kav: uses it as precedent.

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

It can and will be used as precedent if a majority on scotus wishes to, of course.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Hot Dog Day #91 posted:

It can and will be used as precedent if a majority on scotus wishes to, of course.

does it go by seniority for whoever writes the opinion if roberts is in minority? so we could get clarence thomas citing bush v gore?

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

mastershakeman posted:

does it go by seniority for whoever writes the opinion if roberts is in minority? so we could get clarence thomas citing bush v gore?

Chief assigns unless he's in the minority, in which case the most senior judge in the majority assigns the author.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Kalman posted:

Chief assigns unless he's in the minority, in which case the most senior judge in the majority assigns the author.

hell yeah im pumped for a thomas opinion joined by gorsuch, kavs, barrett and alito

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

But the author may not be able to command a majority, so we're more likely to see a Gorsuch opinion joined by those 4. Because Thomas writing about how in 1787 the Constitution didn't contemplate a woman running for vice president probably can't command a majority.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

Hot Dog Day #91 posted:

But the author may not be able to command a majority, so we're more likely to see a Gorsuch opinion joined by those 4. Because Thomas writing about how in 1787 the Constitution didn't contemplate a woman running for vice president probably can't command a majority.

Lmao

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Hot Dog Day #91 posted:

Ladies and Gentlemen, one of the most powerful 10ish people in America.

Cirrhosis Johnson
Jan 9, 2014
If the police had a search warrant for a particular residence, but went into another residence by mistake and happened to find evidence of a crime, could that evidence be admissible in court? Or would it really depend on whether the police made the mistake out of genuine incompetence, or actual malice?

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Cirrhosis Johnson posted:

If the police had a search warrant for a particular residence, but went into another residence by mistake and happened to find evidence of a crime, could that evidence be admissible in court? Or would it really depend on whether the police made the mistake out of genuine incompetence, or actual malice?

Yeah, there's a good faith exception to the exclusionary rule, but the details are very case specific.

Green Crayons
Apr 2, 2009
when in doubt,

the police win

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Green Crayons posted:

when in doubt,

the police win

not empty quoting

This is legal realism (and true)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

Green Crayons posted:

when in doubt,

the police win

I can’t, I can’t, I can’t stand losing

I can’t, I can’t, I can’t stand losing...