Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sheri
Dec 30, 2002

There are absolutely balance bikes for older kids:

https://www.twowheelingtots.com/balance-bike-comparison-chart/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cailleask
May 6, 2007

Also seriously look into a class or something. I had a refuser for both balance and pedal bike that was riding free within 10 minutes at a class with her peers. Same thing with our neighbors, and now again with my three year old. Something about learning with other kids and also without parents is just... magic.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

cailleask posted:

Also seriously look into a class or something. I had a refuser for both balance and pedal bike that was riding free within 10 minutes at a class with her peers. Same thing with our neighbors, and now again with my three year old. Something about learning with other kids and also without parents is just... magic.

That would be great, except I can't find any such classes in San Antonio.

a podcast for cats
Jun 22, 2005

Dogs reading from an artifact buried in the ruins of our civilization, "We were assholes- " and writing solemnly, "They were assholes."
Soiled Meat
I have a confession. I have came to dislike internet comments on parenting and relationship advice for dads, yet I cannot look away whenever something pops on the forums, Twitter or elsewhere. So much of it is "have u ever tried doing a dish" or "Did you know women do all the emotional labor?", even when it's not relevant to the issue brought up.

In my case, I have a problem of balancing being a good dad, a good partner, remaining effective (namely employable) at work and getting my own needs met. It always seems that if I add time/energy/resources to one of these areas, an equal amount gets taken away from another two. One measure gets filled up, two get depleted.

And this comes from a position of relative health, comfort, security and privilege. I don't even know how others do it.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

Tonton Macoute posted:

I have a confession. I have came to dislike internet comments on parenting and relationship advice for dads, yet I cannot look away whenever something pops on the forums, Twitter or elsewhere. So much of it is "have u ever tried doing a dish" or "Did you know women do all the emotional labor?", even when it's not relevant to the issue brought up.

In my case, I have a problem of balancing being a good dad, a good partner, remaining effective (namely employable) at work and getting my own needs met. It always seems that if I add time/energy/resources to one of these areas, an equal amount gets taken away from another two. One measure gets filled up, two get depleted.

And this comes from a position of relative health, comfort, security and privilege. I don't even know how others do it.

Completely and totally normal. Finding the balance is hard and is a constant struggle. The fact that you're trying to find the balance says you're at least doing all the right things.

Don't sweat it. You'll get there and when you're not and feel stuck, it'll be okay eventually.

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

Tonton Macoute posted:

I don’t know what “doing a dish” means but if you are generally saying that comments from men are being dismissed when it comes to parenting, I can’t comment on that but to the overall tone of your post, I feel you. I take our kid to daycare, often pick him up at last-minute notice from wife, parent him at home by myself twice a week and feed him most meals and put him down for most naps and when it’s my wife’s turn I generally go in and help when she asks (and it’s a lot lately because our toddler is tough to handle during a tantrum and she often needs to tag out before she loses her patience on him, and I totally get that). When he wakes up in the night which is frequent, 90% of the time I’m the one to do it so she can rest. When he wakes up in the morning I’m up before her to get him and feed him breakfast. My wife does a ton and is a great mother so my post isn’t about how much more I think I do than she does (she makes more money than I do and works from home so her job is more important than mine income-wise and they demand a lot of her), just that yeah, whether it’s not getting as much sleep as I needed or wanted or not getting personal alone time or getting work done, it’s tough. Neither of us feels like having sex as much as we used to because we are so goddamn tired, I find myself needing to tag out and not being able to sometimes, and I’m in a lovely mood from it all sometimes and can’t and won’t take it out on her. Then life outside our marriage happens in addition.

Can loving suck sometimes.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
When my kid was in Kindergarten last year I was overwhelmed with the amount of homework. It was ridiculous. This year our first grade teacher sent a note saying "I believe your kid should be spending time with family and friends after school and not just constantly doing homework. If I do detect your child will need some extra help, I might send home a sheet or two. Do not spend more than 15 minutes on them. They need to be a kid. "

Such a complete 180.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Tonton Macoute posted:

FWIW I find a lot of the online “dad” spaces and advice collections frankly toxic. So much along the lines of “your partner punished a baby out so you better man up and about doing x, y, and z” where there is a focus on being stoic and powering through with very little discussion of emotional needs, challenges, and strategies for tackling them in a healthy manner. There’s no recognition that yeah you can totally take on an unfair amount of burden, and relatively little acknowledgment of the mental load that comes with “have to keep job, little person is depending on me now”. Like I get that there is a certain type of person who that type of appeal to their masculinity works well on but I can’t help but think that isn’t exactly the sort of person who’s going to be seeking out online advice for being a dad and it sure isn’t great to make that the focus.

Then again I’m nonbinary so perhaps I’m a bit sensitive that sort of thing and not the best person to opine on such things :v:

pseudomonas
Mar 31, 2010

hooah posted:

That would be great, except I can't find any such classes in San Antonio.

https://foxsanantonio.com/amp/news/local/roll-models-teaching-kids-life-lesson-on-bikes

Did you see this? Looks a little preachy but might do the job?

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

No, I didn't, but I'll look into to it, thanks. What terms did you use?

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

BonoMan posted:

When my kid was in Kindergarten last year I was overwhelmed with the amount of homework. It was ridiculous. This year our first grade teacher sent a note saying "I believe your kid should be spending time with family and friends after school and not just constantly doing homework. If I do detect your child will need some extra help, I might send home a sheet or two. Do not spend more than 15 minutes on them. They need to be a kid. "

Such a complete 180.

Wait, they give homework in kindergarten now?

OK, it sounds like some kindergartens give kids homework, but it's generally regarded as a bad idea: https://www.edweek.org/ew/articles/2018/11/12/kindergarten-homework-too-much-too-early.html

I'm glad your kid's first grade teacher is more reasonable, and I'm sorry you had to deal with that kindergarten experience.

pseudomonas
Mar 31, 2010

hooah posted:

No, I didn't, but I'll look into to it, thanks. What terms did you use?

kids bike San Antonio lessons

But with it looke like any slight change in terms or order it doesn't come up.

This might also be an option
http://ghisallo.org/

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

Last night our toddler woke up twice and the second time he came into our room. We had a cot for him to sleep on so we could have some sanity since he sucks at or hates sleeping and we are tired of getting up when he wakes. Putting this cot in here, I feel, has been a grave mistake but no idea how to improve his sleep and his reliance on our presence to fall asleep.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

life is killing me posted:

Last night our toddler woke up twice and the second time he came into our room. We had a cot for him to sleep on so we could have some sanity since he sucks at or hates sleeping and we are tired of getting up when he wakes. Putting this cot in here, I feel, has been a grave mistake but no idea how to improve his sleep and his reliance on our presence to fall asleep.

:hifive: my kid woke up twice too! He’s still in his crib luckily but I think the dude was backed up because he went almost all day yesterday without a bowel movement and then this morning...god drat.

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

nwin posted:

:hifive: my kid woke up twice too! He’s still in his crib luckily but I think the dude was backed up because he went almost all day yesterday without a bowel movement and then this morning...god drat.

Ours just...wakes up. No real idea why. Some nights he sleeps through but every night it takes at least 30 minutes to fall asleep and we must be in there by him or he gets out of bed as soon as we turn our back to leave.

Ne: would be different maybe, if he didn’t force us to transition him to a toddler bed. If we could’ve waited til 30 or 36 months we might have been better prepared for the transition and it might’ve gone smoothly but he just started climbing out one day and we had to do it for safety reasons. We weren’t prepared and he has slowly gotten worse about falling asleep and staying asleep. We explain things to him nightly about how awesome sleep is, how Momma and Dada sleep too, how he doesn’t have to be scared, how it’s time for sleep and not play—but it doesn’t take. Sometimes he wakes and doesn’t cry, and immediately gets up and turns on his lamp OR he stands on something to turn on his overhead lights and then decides at 2-3am it’s play time and makes a bunch of racket in his room. If he didn’t do that we could wait it out and he’d maybe go back to sleep on his own. I don’t get it at all, he is determined to be awake and make us suffer through cranky days and rarely makes up for sleep lost.

life is killing me fucked around with this message at 16:55 on Sep 22, 2020

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice
Is it okay to just shut off the circuit breaker to his room or is that a no-no in case of emergencies I haven't considered?

BadSamaritan
May 2, 2008

crumb by crumb in this big black forest

Childproof light switch covers? Remove the lamp temporarily or replace the bulb with a red bulb for a while?

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

davebo posted:

Is it okay to just shut off the circuit breaker to his room or is that a no-no in case of emergencies I haven't considered?

I’m not going to do that.

BadSamaritan posted:

Childproof light switch covers? Remove the lamp temporarily or replace the bulb with a red bulb for a while?

That is an idea. We unplug the lamp but he goes for the overheads then, so yeah

Sarah
Apr 4, 2005

I'm watching you.

life is killing me posted:

I’m not going to do that.

That is an idea. We unplug the lamp but he goes for the overheads then, so yeah

Is it possible to remove the toys from the room for night time? Lock away in a closet or put into another room? That way the stimulation is gone.

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

So our (soon to be born) kid will have access to up to three nationalities -- Canadian from his mother (and I guess me too soon once I get around to that), and UK/South African from me. I've done some research on what's required to sort out all the birth registration stuff to ensure he gets and keeps that.

:canada: Canada

quote:

Here's a multi-step on-stop online form that'll sort you out with a birth certificate, child tax credit, provincial healthcare, and a SIN for your child.

:britain: UK

quote:

You can’t register the birth with the UK authorities. However, the birth certificate you are given in Canada will be recognised and accepted in the UK, so this isn’t necessary.

:vuvu: South Africa

quote:

DHA-24 Notice of Birth Form. Please request forms from the Consulate General in Toronto or South African High Commission in Ottawa by sending in a self-addressed stamped envelope (size A4 30cm x 24 cm) . The envelope should be able to fit an unfolded page.
BI-529 Determination of Citizenship form must be completed in respect of applicant (child)
BI-529 Determination of Citizenship form must be completed in respect of the South African parent
Parents’ certified copy of dual citizenship exemption letter or sworn affidavit stating that no other citizenship has been obtained
Certified copy of a permanent residency card (if applicable)
Certified copy of child’s Foreign Unabridged Birth Certificate
Certified copies of parents South African Identity Documents/Foreign Identity Document and Marriage Certificate
Fee – None
Processing time: six months
Small self addressed express envelope

:negative:

When Terry Gilliam made the movie Brazil, he named it that because Brazil was supposed to have one of the most Byzantine bureaucracies in the world. I'm pretty sure South Africa can give them a run for their money. The bit about only being able to register the birth on a physical piece of paper that was printed in South Africa and then shipped around the world is a nice touch.

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

:sweden:
Hospital staff: Here is your baby's assigned person number that the computer gave me. You can use this from now on in any contact with authorities. Citizenship is registered in the database already.
Parent: How do I get a birth certificate?
Hospital staff: What is a birth certificate? BTW, the mother will get a form in the mail from the tax authority for assigning a name. Don't forget to send it in before 3 months have passed, or they'll get on your case about it.

All in order, citizen, nothing to see here, move along...

Well, of course this is for a single-citizenship baby. I have no idea what hoops you'd have to jump through if one parent was Swedish and had the baby in Canada. Presumably you'd at least have to visit a Swedish consulate or embassy and show them the Canadian birth certificate, fill in a few forms... Life is easy as a non-expat.

Hippie Hedgehog fucked around with this message at 07:36 on Sep 23, 2020

Tagichatn
Jun 7, 2009

Guess whose baby slept 6 hours in a row? And it was even at night! :smug:

BadSamaritan
May 2, 2008

crumb by crumb in this big black forest

If my kid could learn some words that would be great, because walking around making the ‘more’ sign then immediately yelling in frustration isn’t my favorite combo.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

gently caress. I need to look at my old posts and see how long ago my son was sleeping like poo poo, because surprise-today he was up at 4.

gently caress me.

L0cke17
Nov 29, 2013

nwin posted:

gently caress. I need to look at my old posts and see how long ago my son was sleeping like poo poo, because surprise-today he was up at 4.

gently caress me.

Mine was up at 3:30 :sob:

We let him go to bed early because he was literally falling asleep on everything and we paid the price for our hubris and easy time putting him to bed.

Sweet Gulch
May 8, 2007

That metaphor just went somewhere horrible.
My 6-year-old was up about 5:15, but instead of going back to sleep he decided to loudly read Calvin & Hobbes to himself and woke up his 2-year-old sister. Last week she woke up at 1am one night and absolutely, positively refused to go back to sleep until 5:30. "Play? Play now? Watch tv now? No bedtime!"
The 6yo also happily informed me that yesterday, he woke up to read "when there were three stars left on my clock!" which, if I'm calculating right, means he was up at 4:00.
One day we'll have normal sleep in this house. One day.

car dance
May 12, 2010

Ben is actually an escaped polar bear, posing as a human.

Unlikely because Polar Bears do not know how to speak.
Also it does not make any sense.
I got my 8 year old with the "spell i cup" thing and it absolutely broke her brain. Being a parent is sometimes pretty great.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Ask me where I do my best drinking!

Pillbug
We switch our daughter over to a toddler bed a few months ago. The last few weeks, she's been sleeping on the floor or in this tent that my sister-in-law got her. She has slept through the night every night she's slept on the floor. So we said gently caress it if it works it works. Let her sleep on the floor like an animal.

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe
animals don't have tents you're doing good

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice

calandryll posted:

We switch our daughter over to a toddler bed a few months ago. The last few weeks, she's been sleeping on the floor or in this tent that my sister-in-law got her. She has slept through the night every night she's slept on the floor. So we said gently caress it if it works it works. Let her sleep on the floor like an animal.

I don't know what your floor is like but we have those foam puzzle pads underneath a shag-like area rug in the nursery. I can drink a cup of coffee in the morning, go in there and lay on the floor to read or watch him play with something then a few minutes later have to shake myself awake because if I fall asleep for a second I'm sure he'll find a way to kill himself.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006
Me: I will give you anything you want if you stop screaming.

2yo: NOOOOOO!!!

Farquar
Apr 30, 2003

Bjorn you glad I didn't say banana?
Me: When you hit and push me, it makes me upset and sad Do you want me to be sad?

3yo: Yes.

...social isolation has been hard, you guys.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Farquar posted:

Me: When you hit and push me, it makes me upset and sad Do you want me to be sad?

3yo: Yes.

...social isolation has been hard, you guys.

Wow, that's brutal.

My 4yo right now, sobbing: "I can calm down but I can't stay calm down."

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
It's almost 9:30. My kid is sick, he woke up earlier than usual this morning, had a poo poo rear end nap at school, and we gave him benadryl an hour and a half ago. He's currently jumping on the bed, refusing to go to sleep.

At what age is it appropriate to tell him that he never got a sibling because mommy and daddy couldn't survive 2 of him.

1up
Jan 4, 2005

5-up
Allegedly, 10-15% of kids get hyperactive after taking benadryl. We, too, learned this the hard way when my oldest was sick around age 3. Instead of passing out and not having a snotty face, she was crawling up the walls like a tweaker on a 4 day bender. We have not used benadryl since.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
Yep that was us too. First kid was definitely a tweaker on Benadryl. Second gets drowsy.

Oh also having two kids is just loving exponentially harder than 1. At least for us. I'm dying.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Benadryl is also not a good medicine in general (ignore the somewhat click-bait title).

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

About age 20 I realized I was insanely allergic to mountain cedar/juniper, which in Texas pollinates end of January

Anyways, loratadine is the active ingredient in claratin, and is the generic form, and it's a modern antihistamine, and it costs about $10 for 100 doses, and it instantly shuts down your allergies in about 30 minutes. It's really impressive stuff

If your kid is actually sick with a bacterial/viral thing, and not strictly allergies, it's gonna do jack poo poo to make them feel better

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

hooah posted:

Benadryl is also not a good medicine in general (ignore the somewhat click-bait title).

You know, I've seen these articles too. I've also been reading a book called "After the Checkup", which is written by a young pediatrician, and is all about evidence-based stuff you can or should be doing to take care of your kids. He's super meticulous about everything, complete with a long list of references to the medical literature. He mentions benadryl, with a few precautions (like the hyperactivity thing), but in a "definitely have this in your medicine cabinet" kind of way.

Like, if it's for allergies, as Hadlock said, you're much better off with loratidine, or aerius, or other second-generation anithistamines. But for the colds which your kid will get, there are pediatricians who recommend it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Lead out in cuffs posted:

there are pediatricians who recommend [benadryl]

Not trying to be snarky, honestly curious, do they recommend it as a kid-safe off the shelf sedative, or is there another reason, maybe as a general anti inflammatory or something, with the side effect of knocking out your kid