Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Happy Hedonist
Jan 18, 2009

If the series s actually does what they claim and game pass improves, I’ll probably buy one for our basement game room/LEGO wonderland. Seems like a good option for the kid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zerot
Aug 18, 2006

TheScott2K posted:

I think you'll find it's the RAM, and once again that RAM is wrong

It's a budget box that had to make compromises. It's impossible to know at this point how the compromises will manifest in games, much less if those compromises will matter to those who would never buy a $500 machine. It's a fascinating machine and strategy, and it could work out or be awful. We don't know. That's all I'm saying.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Happy Hedonist posted:

If the series s actually does what they claim and game pass improves, I’ll probably buy one for our basement game room/LEGO wonderland. Seems like a good option for the kid.

One problem with these setups is figuring out account distribution. Your kid presumably has their own account, and that likely means their account needs Game Pass as well as yours. You can potentially work around that by setting the Series S as your primary, but that limits your options with what's presumably your "main" console.

I've got a similar thing happening at my place and the best solution I've found is to just have physical copies of games, but that obviously isn't possible with a Series S.

Happy Hedonist
Jan 18, 2009

univbee posted:

One problem with these setups is figuring out account distribution. Your kid presumably has their own account, and that likely means their account needs Game Pass as well as yours. You can potentially work around that by setting the Series S as your primary, but that limits your options with what's presumably your "main" console.

I've got a similar thing happening at my place and the best solution I've found is to just have physical copies of games, but that obviously isn't possible with a Series S.

Oh drat, you're right, I didn't think about that. They need a family plan.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

univbee posted:

I'd bet they introduce a "Family Game Pass" at some point in the future, at 1.75x the cost of a single or something.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Maybe they will sell game carts you can put into the expansion port.

Zerot
Aug 18, 2006

Cojawfee posted:

You thought $70 games were bad? Check out $250 games!

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Zerot posted:

If Microsoft is right and games that the Series X runs can be easily downscaled to the Series S, it's going to be a good pick for so many people. Time will tell.

I can't help but picture a repeat of the original Xbox One situation here. In a few years the Series S is going to be a very weak and unsatisfying console that can't hold up to newer games.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Cojawfee posted:

I've been tempted to try and do this on PC with one of those "toaster" SATA-to-USB interfaces and some cheap SSDs (you can get some for like $30-$40CAD for 120-240 gigs). Load up DRM-free GOG versions of games like The Witcher 3 and Metro Exodus, put nice labels on them...

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

i've been seeing an unfortunate amount of leaning on the series s as an xcloud client, which uh, didn't work out for the xbox one's claims of cloud gaming either

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.
The audience for Series S is people who can't find a Switch but must spend exactly that much money that day

Barudak
May 7, 2007

And sold out before I could get one I guess??

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

univbee posted:

is that more or less how it works on ps4 too (replace gamepass with PS+/Now)? it sounds less convenient, but maybe i'm mistaken.

Arkage
Aug 10, 2008

Things fall apart;
the centre cannot hold

I said come in! posted:

I can't help but picture a repeat of the original Xbox One situation here. In a few years the Series S is going to be a very weak and unsatisfying console that can't hold up to newer games.

I don't think so. The CPUs between the S/X are nearly identical, which is a huge deal. The only significantly lagging thing is GPU, and I think the downscaling of resolution for S will solve any real issues that arise from that (and minimizing ray tracing as well).

And keep in mind we're in the middle of a pandemic in which many people don't have the disposable income they had with the Xbone/PS4 first launched, generally. I also think the S is the only viable console for Japan, a country where consoles have been struggling. All digital, cheaper, smaller, all a good fit for that market IMO, or at least a better fit than the series X.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

Arkage posted:

I don't think so. The CPUs between the S/X are nearly identical, which is a huge deal. The only significantly lagging thing is GPU, and I think the downscaling of resolution for S will solve any real issues that arise from that (also minimizing ray tracing as well).

Microsoft spent $7.5 billion to make Billy Khan delete those tweets about the RAM

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Ok, amazon gave it to me after Microsoft store went from letting me put it in cart to giving errors

Thanks amazon!

Zerot
Aug 18, 2006
Microsoft just published an article about storage on the Series X and S. Nothing new that I saw, but it's all the info we have in one place. https://news.xbox.com/en-us/2020/09/24/xbox-series-x-and-xbox-series-s-custom-storage-solution-primer/

Wario64 grabbed this from the article, and I think it's useful.

https://twitter.com/Wario64/status/1309147991941328896

Arkage posted:

I don't think so. The CPUs between the S/X are nearly identical, which is a huge deal. The only significantly lagging thing is GPU, and I think the downscaling of resolution for S will solve any real issues that arise from that (and minimizing ray tracing as well).

And keep in mind we're in the middle of a pandemic in which many people don't have the disposable income they had with the Xbone/PS4 first launched, generally. I also think the S is the only viable console for Japan, a country where consoles have been struggling. All digital, cheaper, smaller, all a good fit for that market IMO, or at least a better fit than the series X.

Yeah, this is where I'm at. I think the ESRAM stuff in the One was a blunder and I don't see anything in the Series S that's as bad. Slower and less RAM doesn't stick out to me as a danger in a console that's not in the same performance profile.

Microsoft announced that xCloud would be coming to Japan in the first half of 2021, and that could be another way that Microsoft gains some traction there. I don't know how the cloud games on Switch have been received over there or if there's more interest in general in cloud gaming, though.

Happy Hedonist
Jan 18, 2009

I'm glad they are offering the drives, but gently caress that, I ain't buying one. We are lucky though, we've got fiber and no cap.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Arkage posted:

Console preorder people have disposable cash. There millions of guys angry at the computer right now cause they couldnt throw 500 away.

The less fortunate get into a console gen years later, many even after it has ended.

The s is the only viable console for japan its true!

The s......witch!

If gamepass gets a foothold in asia it will be via internet cafes

Real hurthling! fucked around with this message at 16:26 on Sep 24, 2020

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I think Microsoft might be better off buying some Korean studios

Edit: Sounds like all 12 Series X units sold out in Japan

Barudak fucked around with this message at 16:42 on Sep 24, 2020

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

Back when PCs were constrained by the 360 generation seeing screenshots from Korean MMOs was like looking into the future

YeehawMcKickass
Jan 2, 2003

WE WELCOME THE OPPRESSORS

TheScott2K posted:

Just having a hard time imagining someone so eager for New Console that they're preordering to also be like "ahh just the Series S for me, thanks"

Since I already outed myself as one of the people who preordered a Series S here’s my reasoning a behind a series S over X (and I did have a shot at the X):

$300 + tax is cheaper than $500 plus tax for series x (not to mention the Ps5 SKUs). Wage stagnation is real and the pandemic effectively shut down my side business.

I switched to mostly digital games with this generation so the lack of disc drive means nothing. I have zero physical Xbone games and one physical Xbox 360 game that hasn’t had its servers shut down.

I don’t have nor do I plan to upgrade my TV to a 4K unit until I’m forced to replace my current 1080p screen. This may be four or five years.

The dimensions of the Series X (also ps5) would be awkward given my current living arrangements and entertainment center. I can slot a Series S in place of a One S no problem.

The USB 3.1 drives being usable for just storage on new games is good news.

Arkage
Aug 10, 2008

Things fall apart;
the centre cannot hold

TheScott2K posted:

Microsoft spent $7.5 billion to make Billy Khan delete those tweets about the RAM

Ah didn't see the stuff about RAM. Well, still, lowering framerate to 30 or resolution to 1080, or both, should be 'good enough' for what is a $300 brand new console. The price really can't be understated here. To put it into perspective, including inflation/purchase power, it's cheaper than the Wii was at launch.

YeehawMcKickass
Jan 2, 2003

WE WELCOME THE OPPRESSORS
Series S right now is cheaper than what a lot of Used Switch units are selling for.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

YeehawMcKickass posted:

Series S right now is cheaper than what a lot of Used Switch units are selling for.

But people want switches.

Actually the series s appears to have sold out in Japan too now so congrats on microsoft for possibly selling 100 consoles in Japan.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
They only thing I see with the series S is that the ram is slower. Like someone said, it has the same cpu as the X, just clocked a bit slower. So it will be able to do nearly everything the X can. The GPU is less powerful, but it also doesn't need to render 4k games. Less ram doesn't seem like such a big deal, because it doesn't need to load in the massive textures the X needs for 4k. The ram is slower, but it isn't streaming in as much as the X is, because the textures are smaller. I don't get the "series S will hamstring the entire generation, ruining games for everyone" hyperbole. It might need some optimization, but it should mostly be lowering the render resolution and resizing textures to be smaller. This is the kind of stuff that's already done for pc games. Except there are only two targets to aim for instead of infinite.

Red Warrior
Jul 23, 2002
Is about to die!
Doom Eternal coming to Game Pass for Xbox on October 1, 'later in 2020' on PC.
https://news.xbox.com/en-us/2020/09/24/doom-eternal-xbox-game-pass-october-1/

Seedge
Jun 15, 2009
Hey, buddy. :glomp:

Red Warrior posted:

Doom Eternal coming to Game Pass for Xbox on October 1, 'later in 2020' on PC.
https://news.xbox.com/en-us/2020/09/24/doom-eternal-xbox-game-pass-october-1/

Is that the first time something has been first on Xbox before PC?

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Seedge posted:

Is that the first time something has been first on Xbox before PC?
Destiny 2's expansions will supposedly be coming to Game Pass PC "later in 2021" and they're out now on the console version, so no.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

I said come in! posted:

Might I interest you in an Xbox Series SX?

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
This is actually a pretty good point. Using an external drive for all your backwards compatible games seems like a pretty decent solution to the problem of drive space, especially if you're going with the Series S. You won't get get the spicy load times but everything else should work just fine. And let's be honest, it's gonna be a while before there are 600GB worth of Xbox Series exclusive titles to have on your console.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

American McGay posted:

This is actually a pretty good point. Using an external drive for all your backwards compatible games seems like a pretty decent solution to the problem of drive space, especially if you're going with the Series S. You won't get get the spicy load times but everything else should work just fine. And let's be honest, it's gonna be a while before there are 600GB worth of Xbox Series exclusive titles to have on your console.

Betting CoD and Assassin's Creed get you halfway there on day 1, with Cyberpunk fuckin your drive up real good a couple weeks later.

e: that's me thinking the 500 gig Series S. So less so on the X but still, it'll fill up faster than anyone will like. Those of us who got used to having a bazillion games installed at all times on our 250 gig xbox360 are gonna have to adjust.

Happy Hedonist
Jan 18, 2009

Is there an easy way to move games back and forth from the external HDD and the card?

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

Happy Hedonist posted:

Is there an easy way to move games back and forth from the external HDD and the card?

Indications seem to be it's a fairly straightforward bit of janitoring

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Cyberpunk is only 70GB on PC, COD and Asscreed, well that's on you.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

drat, they brought Cyberpunk in under a hundo? Wasn't expecting that. Good for them. Reminds me of being pleasantly surprised when Doom Eternal was only like 38 gigs.

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013
I feel like Microsoft is stumbling towards but can't quite commit to Apple's computer & tablet naming conventions where there's just: iMac, MacBook, MacBook Pro, iPad, iPad Air, iPad Pro and you have to go into the settings to figure out what year yours is from if that comes up for some reason.

Happy Hedonist
Jan 18, 2009

TheScott2K posted:

It'd be a pita, but a good way to cut down on bandwidth usage if you can just offload games onto a external drive and copy them back to the card when you want to play them.

Zerot
Aug 18, 2006

TheScott2K posted:

I don't know if it's only for Insiders, but the latest dashboard has or will have a new method of managing installed games. It's a bit easier to move stuff and see where games are installed and pick and choose what you want and where you want it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Red Warrior
Jul 23, 2002
Is about to die!
If that 'on average 30% smaller install size' for the Series S figure holds up then you'll end up being able to install about the same amount of games on it as a PS5.

PS5 would have an effective additional 50-60GB if my math is right, so maybe you'll get one more game in there. Although who knows what each will have left after OS requirements etc.