Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
drat time to heeheee again already?!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AccountSupervisor
Aug 3, 2004

I am greatful for my loop pedal
Boy this threads a roller-coaster of weird opinions

Jackie D
May 27, 2009

Democracy is like a tambourine - not everyone can be trusted with it.

Doltos posted:

I've watched literally every horror movie you can think of and my posting in this subforum would show I pretty much predominately stick to horror. No, I don't like Insidious the Jump Scare franchise or Conjuring's look at our scary monster. Liking those movies isn't bad either since there's multiple types of horror fans.

What I'm saying is that Ari Aster is a hack that doesn't know how to shoot or direct actors. His films are full of shot reverse shot with random camera pannings that don't make any sense. Like when they were driving to the compound in Midsommar he just flipped the camera over and went down the road. If that's supposed to show the main character's world turning upside down then it's hamfisted. If not it's just a stupid shot. That's ignoring that literally every one of his characters just cry the entire film. It's eliciting a fake emotion from the audience. The writing is blisteringly stupid full of unbelievably, unrealistic, stupid characters. A guy literally pisses on the sacred tree in Midsommar 5 feet away from people worshipping it then goes into the forest with a random girl seducing him. I'm bringing up Midsommar because I already covered how stupid Hereditary's characters were throughout the entire long, plodding film.

If you want an emotional engagement arthouse film through horror go watch the VVitch or Resolution/The Endless. Ari Aster is a hack.

Lol

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.

Doltos posted:

I really like the part where everyone cried constantly and nothing happened an hour and 45 minutes after the kids head unrealistically popped off because the mom forced her 18 year old kid to take a 13 year old kid to a high school party where they were making a walnut (?) cake that a girl with nut allergies ate knowing full well she has nut allergies and also the girl was only in the movie in the first place because the hack director saw an ugly girl and wanted to exploit her because she had like 5 lines of dialogue and made a creepy noise. Toni Collette deserves an Oscar for screaming and crying for two hours while playing the most unlikeable character among other unlikeable, unbelievably stupid characters. The best part is how all these unrealistic, stupid choices were validated by a throwaway line at the end that a ~cult made them do it~

Holy gently caress this thread sucked before but now I wish I could burn it down jfc

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.
I could seriously accept almost all those arguments even if I disagree with them, but he can’t shoot?

Hereditary and Midsommar (which I don’t even like) are both gorgeously shot movies.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

This show feels like extremely hard R rated YA fiction imo. It’s so tonally all over the place with the Harry Potter magic school main plot, and Indiana Jones exploration mixed with main characters rear end raping people with shoes (and it really felt like the show wanted me to root for her there, which was weird)

Mostly I just think the storytelling feels like a mess, with every episode simultaneously building this over arching story, which isn’t even remotely interesting, then trying to tie it in with a “monster of the week” subplot, which seems to be what they actually wanted to do with it. Both stories usually seem to get about 50% screen time leaving the sub story underdeveloped while the main story just makes me want to fall asleep.

I think I’d be much happier with this show if it was just an anthology of short stories starring the same actors or something.

Also all of the horror stuff has fallen completely flat for me. It feels like AHS story or something, where a bunch of stuff is going on that thematically fits into the horror genre, but it’s never actually spooky or anything and frequently falls back in shock value.

Edit: and I'm not saying I hate it or that I have interest in arguing with anyone for liking it, it's been enjoyable enough that I have stuck with it, but there is just a bunch of stuff that doesn't land for me, and I like the idea behind it a lot more than the execution.

veni veni veni fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Sep 24, 2020

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

TheBizzness posted:

I could seriously accept almost all those arguments even if I disagree with them, but he can’t shoot?

Hereditary and Midsommar (which I don’t even like) are both gorgeously shot movies.

They're not and you like a hack but that's okay if people don't agree with my perception on Ari Aster films. I just want to get it out there that the thing you like is actually bad.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
A third heeheee, drat they must be running a special today :laugh:

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Every time I read an Ari Aster hate post, this is the exact person I imagine behind the keyboard.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
Nice burn fella the movies still suck

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Some random smug butthole on the internet says they suck, pack it up guys.

AtraMorS
Feb 29, 2004

If at the end of a war story you feel that some tiny bit of rectitude has been salvaged from the larger waste, you have been made the victim of a very old and terrible lie

wolfs posted:

i feel like ultimately you need to decide if you want your entertainment to be normative or transgressive because arguments like this are fundamentally based on this distinction and to what degree you’re comfortable with or supportive of the normative message you want it to send
This is pretty much where I am. Give me a show about broken, hosed up people. I'm not looking for a role model, but characters I haven't encountered before and have to work a little to understand.

veni veni veni posted:

(and it really felt like the show wanted me to root for her there, which was weird)
That was tonally weird. I got the impression they wanted us to sympathize with what Ruby was doing while also showing it go too far. I said it upthread, but the title of that episode comes from Jekyll & Hyde, and in that story Jekyll--who is not exactly a good dude to start with--starts by using the Hyde persona to get away with his own evil poo poo, but in the end the Jekyll persona just becomes a way for Hyde to stay hidden.

I don't really know if that's what they pulled off though.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

veni veni veni posted:

Some random smug butthole on the internet says they suck, pack it up guys.

I dislike the movies and you do a personal attack very nice

Moltke
May 13, 2009

AtraMorS posted:

This is pretty much where I am. Give me a show about broken, hosed up people. I'm not looking for a role model, but characters I haven't encountered before and have to work a little to understand.

That was tonally weird. I got the impression they wanted us to sympathize with what Ruby was doing while also showing it go too far. I said it upthread, but the title of that episode comes from Jekyll & Hyde, and in that story Jekyll--who is not exactly a good dude to start with--starts by using the Hyde persona to get away with his own evil poo poo, but in the end the Jekyll persona just becomes a way for Hyde to stay hidden.

I don't really know if that's what they pulled off though.

Yeah I think it was pretty clear in that the scene where Ms. Braithwhite was promising Ruby unmitigated freedom to find out who she was uninterrupted that Ruby's story may not necessarily go down the path of pure righteousness.

Ruby wanted Mr. Manager to face justice for what he did to his subordinate, but her choice of vigilantism was never going to turn out well given what she witnessed in the alley, and especially since she was all but promised not to suffer consequences for any of her actions anymore in the prior scene.

It seems like they are setting Ruby up to be some sort of junior partner working with Christina against Leti and Tic (unencumbered by middle class morality), since Leti stopped cooperating after episode 2.

I don't think we were supposed to watch an act of retributive sodomy and cheer for the perpetrator. I think this is another example of people looking for superheroes in a show where there clearly are none.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Doltos posted:

I dislike the movies and you do a personal attack very nice

If you want to act like a smug butthole it's fine, but at least own it.

Moltke posted:

I don't think we were supposed to watch an act of retributive sodomy and cheer for the perpetrator. I think this is another example of people looking for superheroes in a show where there clearly are none.

If this is the case I don't think the show succeeded. At least from the way I watched it. They flirt with her showing her "true self/dark side" When she interacts with the other black employee, so I don't think they were trying to make her a flawless character or anything. But that whole scene felt like it was trying to be sweet revenge, when my first reaction was was "what did this guy do again?" cause, I thought the man being rude and inappropriate at the bar was some random white guy (which is on me for not paying attention, but still. in a show full of people doing heinous poo poo, it was so minor I practically forgot about it)

Plus watching someone get gorily raped in the rear end is just like, really unpleasant, especially for a scene that had so little to say.

veni veni veni fucked around with this message at 01:21 on Sep 25, 2020

AtraMorS
Feb 29, 2004

If at the end of a war story you feel that some tiny bit of rectitude has been salvaged from the larger waste, you have been made the victim of a very old and terrible lie

veni veni veni posted:

If this is the case I don't think the show succeeded. At least from the way I watched it. They flirt with her showing her "true self/dark side" When she interacts with the other black employee, so I don't think they were trying to make her a flawless character or anything. But that whole scene felt like it was trying to be sweet revenge, when my first reaction was was "what did this guy do again?" cause, I thought the man being rude and inappropriate at the bar was some random white guy (which is on me for not paying attention, but still. in a show full of people doing heinous poo poo, it was so minor I practically forgot about it)

Plus watching someone get gorily raped in the rear end is just like, really unpleasant, especially for a scene that had so little to say.
My read on the manager was a lot worse than being rude or inappropriate. He acts like a boring milquetoast guy and leaves the most attractive women alone, but instead chooses victims that are less likely to be believed. No offense to the actress playing Ruby's white counterpart, but she's not played as very attractive here, and the other woman was black and therefore distrusted by the general public. Kind of like how Ji-Ah's step-father chose her mom to marry and exploit because she was vulnerable and desperate.

Point is, dude's a predator. Ruby wanted to make sure it didn't happen again. So like I say, I can understand with the impulse while thinking it went too far.

Moltke
May 13, 2009
Again, I would say that the "going too far" was the point of the scene, and we should expect to see Ruby doing progressively worse things with her new found freedom.

While Braithwhite so far seems like the Machiavellian manipulator type, it wouldn't surprise me if Ruby turned into her attack dog. They already set up friction between Leti and Ruby in a prior episode.

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.

Doltos posted:

They're not and you like a hack but that's okay if people don't agree with my perception on Ari Aster films. I just want to get it out there that the thing you like is actually bad.

I said right in the very post I don’t even like Midsommar, for heavens sake fella.

It is gorgeous at times though.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Hi, it's me, Good Poster. I see that this thread is about the TV show, Lovecraft Country. Let me tell you all about how I didn't like the film The Last Jedi.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

veni veni veni posted:

If you want to act like a smug butthole it's fine, but at least own it.

You called me a neckbeard then a smug butthole I dunno man

TheBizzness posted:

I said right in the very post I don’t even like Midsommar, for heavens sake fella.

It is gorgeous at times though.

I think that's got to do more with the location than the camera work. He does these long panning shots of people walking and talking to the point where you can point out dolly tracks the editors missed. There's also a ton of establishing shots like of the village, the mountain range, and the cliff the old people jumped off of which aren't exactly hard to do. If anything Hereditary was shot better than Midsommar even though it's packed with old tropes like zoom ins to represent characters feeling closed in or long shots with crowd noise in the front but a character focused on in the back.

Really all of this takes a back seat to both movies being full of characters that are so unbelievably unlikeable or stupid or both navigating down a plot like that needs leaps of stupidity in order to progress. It takes away the empathy you feel for characters in horror stories which takes away the fear. I empathize with Tic, Leti, and Ruby because they're not blisteringly stupid. This makes the racism scenes that much more full of dread. You worry about them going through a sun down town or Ruby's potion wearing off early because you put yourself in their shoes because they're still likeable despite their bad pasts. I felt nothing for the boyfriend in the bear suit or Toni Collette slicing her own head off because the characters were total assholes with no redeeming features. I didn't care about the kid who pissed on the sacred tree because he was obnoxious to the hosts and their culture, plus he was a total loving idiot. Who pisses on a tree people are actively spreading ashes over especially when they're five loving feet away from you?

AccountSupervisor
Aug 3, 2004

Lovecraft Country: Ari Aster is the Real Monster

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Moltke posted:

Again, I would say that the "going too far" was the point of the scene, and we should expect to see Ruby doing progressively worse things with her new found freedom.

I'm not saying you are wrong, just that if that was the desired effect, it wasn't portrayed well.

AtraMorS posted:

My read on the manager was a lot worse than being rude or inappropriate. He acts like a boring milquetoast guy and leaves the most attractive women alone, but instead chooses victims that are less likely to be believed. No offense to the actress playing Ruby's white counterpart, but she's not played as very attractive here, and the other woman was black and therefore distrusted by the general public. Kind of like how Ji-Ah's step-father chose her mom to marry and exploit because she was vulnerable and desperate.

Point is, dude's a predator. Ruby wanted to make sure it didn't happen again. So like I say, I can understand with the impulse while thinking it went too far.

He wasn't a good dude, but theres a lot of conclusions being jumped to here. Ruby's white form jumped on him. He wasn't seeking her out. He acted rapey behind the bar, but ultimately bugged off. Sure he was a scumbag, but it wasn't nearly enough to turn that final scene into sweet revenge. I don't even feel bad for the character or anything. The entire scene just felt tonally off and I felt like the creators were trying to show me how cool what she did was. And if the whole point of the scene was "Ruby is becoming a monster" it didn't work for me, because it felt like something you were supposed to enjoy, or at the very least be cathartic. Which it wasn't. it was just gross.

veni veni veni fucked around with this message at 02:50 on Sep 25, 2020

Nestharken
Mar 23, 2006

The bird of Hermes is my name, eating my wings to make me tame.
Wow, I was really not expecting such a banal comparison to a contemporary horror movie to lead to that kind of derail.

veni veni veni posted:

And if the whole point of the scene was "Ruby is becoming a monster" it didn't work for me, because it felt like something you were supposed to enjoy, or at the very least be cathartic. Which it wasn't. it was just gross.

I think it was supposed to be gross. It's probably not a coincidence that we've seen a different main character murder someone in cold blood who didn't really deserve it in all three of the most recent episodes, which makes me wonder what's coming up for Leti next week.

AccountSupervisor
Aug 3, 2004

To be clear though that guy absolutely would have raped that woman in the alleyway if she didnt escape and then he screams the N word at her when she does.

He then takes a moment before going back inside to flip the "Im a violent monster" switch back to "Im a dopey harmless retail manager" and that is creepy sociopathic Ted Bundy poo poo and that was a good set up for a big "gently caress you" revenge moment.

But...I do agree though that violent sodomy as punishment and revenge was super uncomfortable in a way that wasn't what the show was trying to get at. It wasnt framed well enough to say anything about Ruby crossing a line or going to far. It was just kinda gross and unnecessary and had "I hope he gets prison raped" vibes. It was visually portrayed as way too "badass revenge" for it to affectively appear like the show isnt supporting this characters actions. Especially in contrast to how they handled Tics war crime in the following episode. I honestly was expecting her to go down on him and bite/cut his dick off which might have been better? I dont know.

I really love this show but theres been a few moments that Ive found pretty poorly conceived and that was definitely one of them.

AccountSupervisor fucked around with this message at 03:15 on Sep 25, 2020

Moltke
May 13, 2009
That's where I have to disagree - the scene is absolutely framed by "who are you really, uninterrupted?" directly preceding it, followed by an ominous musical interlude. The so-called "uneven tone" is Ruby dripping blood and gore while Cardi B sings about bloody moves. This is obviously about Ruby's descent to the dark side - there is nothing uneven about it.

edit - by "dark side" I mean she is shedding the notion of middle class morality, which says you have to turn the other cheek and trust in the system to produce justice. It's entirely possible that she becomes some sort of vigilante only killing people who "deserve" it

Violent sodomy is uncomfortable but - guess what - so is racism.

Moltke fucked around with this message at 03:43 on Sep 25, 2020

Giggs
Jan 4, 2013

mama huhu
(30 seconds earlier)

A loving real-rear end wizard posted:

"I'm a loving wizard, like, gently caress, I'm a goddamn real-rear end wizard with magic powers. I don't give a gently caress about anything. Guess why I do magic? Because I don't have to give a gently caress. I am spelling this out explicitly: Magic is real, gently caress everything else in the world, do what you want."

and then Ruby goes and uses magic to do something she could otherwise never do as an outlet to an entire life of frustration and anger and it's completely hosed up and posters in here are like:
"Weird. Why did she do that? I don't like how violent and uncomfortable it made me feel. I don't understand why the show is showing me something so hosed up."

The character whose entire existence is to be dealt the bad hand (black woman in jim crowe america with a poo poo dead mom and jerkoff sister) is gifted something like absolute power.

AccountSupervisor
Aug 3, 2004

Yes I am aware of the intent of the scene to portray violent sodomy as uncomfortable and Ruby going over the edge but for me they failed to communicate that effectively in everything from shot structure, music and editing.

Youre completely right on the subtext and context of the scene but it was poorly crafted
if thats what it was trying to illicit from me.

Moltke
May 13, 2009
It's not just the intent - it is what is portrayed in the "shot structure, music, and editing" of the scene. Perhaps you should go back and rewatch it.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
The anal rape thing was weird I dunno what they could have done to show Ruby breaking but the anal rape thing was weird

AccountSupervisor
Aug 3, 2004

Moltke posted:

It's not just the intent - it is what is portrayed in the "shot structure, music, and editing" of the scene. Perhaps you should go back and rewatch it.

I did. Ive watched it three times. I had to go back after the episode and then I went back after some discussion in this thread.

Again, probably a lot better in the script than it appeared in the episode.

The scene failed for me, glad it worked for you.

AtraMorS
Feb 29, 2004

veni veni veni posted:

He wasn't a good dude, but theres a lot of conclusions being jumped to here. Ruby's white form jumped on him. He wasn't seeking her out. He acted rapey behind the bar, but ultimately bugged off. Sure he was a scumbag, but it wasn't nearly enough to turn that final scene into sweet revenge. I don't even feel bad for the character or anything. The entire scene just felt tonally off and I felt like the creators were trying to show me how cool what she did was. And if the whole point of the scene was "Ruby is becoming a monster" it didn't work for me, because it felt like something you were supposed to enjoy, or at the very least be cathartic. Which it wasn't. it was just gross.
I don't want to be a dick, but you really might want to rewatch (most of) the episode. Ruby's white form "jumped on him" at the end, sure, but he had been handsy already with her earlier in the episode, to the point that Ruby asks the other women working there if he had ever got inappropriate with them during the scene where they try on shoes in the basement/backroom. One of the other women calls him something, forget what it was, but basically a walking LL Bean ad (even though that's not how we just saw him behave behind closed doors).

Between that and what happened behind the bar, that's a pattern. I feel pretty secure in calling the guy a predator.

\/ Yeah Norman Rockwell was it.

AtraMorS fucked around with this message at 06:50 on Sep 25, 2020

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

She calls him a Norman Rockwell painting.

And he was a POS, I’m not contesting that, although I wouldn’t describe him in the same way you do. My issues were with how the scene was presented.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

JazzFlight posted:

Nah, they ruined Tic. You can’t say he had a complicated past and have it be that dark as just killing civilians for no reason. That’s hosed up.

Are you really this naive about what happens in war? Especially a US imperialist war in the 50s? He killed civilians because he was ordered to. As a black man. If he didn't follow that order his life could well have effectively ended. The show very effectively showed how someone who is very much an oppressed minority in the US nonetheless is turned into an imperialist oppressor by the US war machine. And yet even within that new dynamic the dynamic of oppression suffered by Tic is still relevant and an important part of the story. That's why Ji-Ah ends up empathizing with him, even though he put a gun to her head, was ready to kill her and killed her communist friend. And you are right, that is hosed up and dark. But it's also so incredibly true and something that is happening to this very day. For a lot of black Americans growing up in lovely neighbourhoods joining the military is still the most readily available chance at upward social mobility. That same US military is at war and committing crimes, still, today.

I can't believe how many of you are complaining simultaneously that a horror show is making you feel uncomfortable and at the same time that it is bad at horror. This show is revealing some of the horror that pervades your entire society. And if you think that horror is *just* racism you are missing a significant part of the point.

This show is loving brilliant.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Yeah I've really turned around on the show these last two episodes. The first two were fine, but they were a bit rompy. Then the season effectively rebooted and I had to work out what was going on.

But yes, I like it. It's aggressively modern for a period piece, but it's also aggressively meta and playing with pulp fiction tropes. (In a straightforwardly honest way, as opposed to e.g. Westworld, which is the same thing with more pretention). Curious to see where it goes in Season Two, after it runs out of material. Though this last episode gave me a lot of confidence.

Where did they film the Hospital btw? Some of the Korean stuff was set builds, but did they actually film overseas?

Open Source Idiom fucked around with this message at 09:33 on Sep 25, 2020

AccountSupervisor
Aug 3, 2004

Its especially weird to complain that Ji-Ah developed feelings for Tic when she very clearly expresses she is tortured by and struggling with that exact internal conflict.

Almost as if shes a complex character or something.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

AccountSupervisor posted:

Its especially weird to complain that Ji-Ah developed feelings for Tic when she very clearly expresses she is tortured by and struggling with that exact internal conflict.

It'll be interesting is she joins the main cast love triangle wise, Tic and Leti have bonded over fighting monsters and Tic and Ji-Ah bonded over being the monster.

SunshineDanceParty
Feb 7, 2006

One Road. Two Friends. One Ass.

AccountSupervisor posted:

It's frustrating. The entire second half of the episode is about two people who's environments have turned them into monsters they don't want to be, and clinging onto each other in the hope that they don't have to be that.

And it's not accidental that every other American solider besides the three involved with the nurses is a white rear end in a top hat. The MPs that watch the hanging, the solider who refuses the nurses, and the soldiers whistling at Ji-ah when she goes on base.

priaprism
Jul 30, 2008
Nice omission of the only other soldier character with a real speaking part, Tic’s Korean-American friend, who we see go to lengths to both protect his cred with the Americans (out of self-preservation no doubt) and to help Tic out with his mystery date.

SunshineDanceParty
Feb 7, 2006

One Road. Two Friends. One Ass.

priaprism posted:

Nice omission of the only other soldier character with a real speaking part, Tic’s Korean-American friend, who we see go to lengths to both protect his cred with the Americans (out of self-preservation no doubt) and to help Tic out with his mystery date.
Yes he is one of the three I mentioned who also went at the nurses. The point being the military turned two otherwise good people into monsters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shneak
Mar 6, 2015

A sad Professor Plum
sitting on a toilet.
Catching up on the last 3 episodes and Meet Me in Daegu is by far my favourite so far. Perhaps because it was very traditional in tone and had a standalone story? I wouldn't consider the Nine Tailed Fox a Lovecraftian monster but it was fascinating nonetheless. I hope Ji-Ah integrates into the main plot.