Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Hasselblad posted:

You neglected to state if you used beans or not. :colbert:

Well, the goon made chili so the answer should be obvious

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

I may have grown up in Texas but I'm no dummy, chili has beans. :colbert:

sterster
Jun 19, 2006
nothing
Fun Shoe
He added spaghetti, duh!

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

I usually get the chuck chunks at Costco and just throw them on the smoker with half the quantity of that batches fresh chiles while I prep everything else for the chili.

I have been know to add beans and CORN.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

toplitzin posted:

I usually get the chuck chunks at Costco and just throw them on the smoker with half the quantity of that batches fresh chiles while I prep everything else for the chili.

I have been know to add beans and CORN.

The America's Test Kitchen recipe has you thicken the chili with masa flour, which added a great corn flavor.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

canyoneer posted:

The America's Test Kitchen recipe has you thicken the chili with masa flour, which added a great corn flavor.

Yes, but the ATK kitchen pumps out whiter recipies than the BA kitchen.

So many of their published recipes are aggressively bland.

marshalljim
Mar 6, 2013

yospos

toplitzin posted:

Edit 2, because my previous post was needlessly aggressive: Using Maseca is a thickener is not "whiter," in your pejorative sense or any other, than dumping canned corn into your lovely chili, as you are so proud of.

marshalljim fucked around with this message at 04:23 on Sep 24, 2020

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
I love Autumn :)

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

I'm the greatest thing since World War III.

Soiled Meat

marshalljim posted:

Edit 2, because my previous post was needlessly aggressive: Using Maseca is a thickener is not "whiter," in your pejorative sense or any other, than dumping canned corn into your lovely chili, as you are so proud of.

I loving knew it when chili was mentioned that chili gatekeeping/shitposting would follow. It's like gun chat in any other thread.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
You guys actively choose to make chili? I just use it as a dumpster for old vegetables.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

There’s no reason anyone should ever use any chili recipe other than Guy Fieris Dragon Breath Chili.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Your grandmothers house is a dumpster for old vegetables.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
grandma noooo

McSpankWich
Aug 31, 2005

Plum Island Animal Disease Research Center. Sounds charming.
Chili has been tearing the forums apart for 15 years.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

toplitzin posted:

So many of their published recipes are aggressively bland.

True, but some of the shortcuts are neat. The trick as always is to taste at every step and season as needed.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

bird with big dick posted:

Your grandmothers house is a dumpster for old vegetables.

With enough seasoning and as long as you cut carefully around the spine and don't use the head or any brain tissue, grandma can also go into the chilli. You might need a larger pot if you don't plan to make sausages also.

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
Dear diary, I got another erection today at work. SO embarrassing, but kinda hot. The CO asked me to fix up his dress uniform. I had stayed late at work to move his badges 1/8" to the left and pointed it out this morning. 1SG spanked me while the CO watched, once they caught it. Tomorrow I get to start all over again...
The chili thread, years ago, was the worst place for gatekeeping on a food that is literally combining all the lovely leftovers you have into one thing. I’m guessing it’s still like that.

Don’t bring that poo poo into one of the few good threads in this forum

Nosthula
Mar 23, 2009
I know I've basically abandoned this thread but please keep it positive. I started this simply to have a chill place to chat about a hobby I enjoy.

Edit: On a topic related note. My big green egg has a crack all the way around the base. I can't find my darn receipt to try to get a replacement. It gave me over 10 years of service and I will replace the base if it comes to it. Just gotta get around to it. I haven't smoked anything in over 6 months. Sad times.

Nosthula fucked around with this message at 17:39 on Sep 24, 2020

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

Maybe the store you bought it from can look it up?

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

drat, sorry for the chili derail.. didn't realize it was such a spicy topic! As penance I bought a 20lb prime packer brisket at Costco, and only part of it will end up in a chili pot.

Nosthula
Mar 23, 2009

Chemmy posted:

Maybe the store you bought it from can look it up?

I am friends with the manager and it predates their electronic records. He told me to come in and see if they could do something about it though. I just haven't wanted to because of covid!

Enos Cabell posted:

drat, sorry for the chili derail.. didn't realize it was such a spicy topic! As penance I bought a 20lb prime packer brisket at Costco, and only part of it will end up in a chili pot.

This is acceptable penance and all your sins are forgiven!

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Anyone have much experience smoking tomatillos? Garden crop is finally coming in, and I usually broil them in the oven for making salsa/enchilada sauce. Intrigued by the thought of smoking them, but I don't want to waste a batch if it doesn't work out right.

Bloodfart McCoy
Jul 20, 2007

That's a high quality avatar right there.

Enos Cabell posted:

Anyone have much experience smoking tomatillos? Garden crop is finally coming in, and I usually broil them in the oven for making salsa/enchilada sauce. Intrigued by the thought of smoking them, but I don't want to waste a batch if it doesn't work out right.

I do not have any experience with smoking them or tomatoes.

Would you cut them or poke them so all that liquid can drain or try and keep them as juicy as possible?

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Bloodfart McCoy posted:

I do not have any experience with smoking them or tomatoes.

Would you cut them or poke them so all that liquid can drain or try and keep them as juicy as possible?

When I broil them in the oven I leave them whole on a tray, and all the escaped juices get added back to the blender. Presumably I'd do it the same way in the smoker, but I'm really not sure how well it would work.

I'll probably just try a few when I smoke my brisket this weekend and see how they do before I commit to a full batch.

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

MY CONTEMPT FOR MY OWN EMPLOYEES IS ONLY MATCHED BY MY LOVE FOR TOM BRADY'S SWEATY MAGA BALLS
Keep 'em whole.

The best salsa I've ever made was with smoked Roma tomatoes, smoked corn, smoked jalapenos, and smoked red onions.

Ran 'em for about an hour and a half at 225 until they were getting soft and took on some color then chopped them all up and mixed with salt, pepper, garlic powder, a little cayenne, a little ancho chili powder, some lime juice, and some cilantro. Absolutely terrific. It was a smash hit.

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

Soiled Meat
Found full packers at the supermarket today for the first time, and on sale too.

Too bad I'm currently in a low cal, low sodium, minimal red meat diet for the foreseeable future...

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Whats the biggest pork shoulder you've ever done? I've got a 17.5 pounder thawing in the fridge. Apparently 24 hours per 5 pounds to thaw is the norm. Thinking about dumping it in a 5 gallon bucket of water with the Anova to speed it up.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

biggest I've done is around 9lbs.. But I've never frozen one because of the reasons you've advised, a big hunk of meat is going to suuuck to unthaw.

tater_salad fucked around with this message at 15:27 on Sep 25, 2020

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
Dear diary, I got another erection today at work. SO embarrassing, but kinda hot. The CO asked me to fix up his dress uniform. I had stayed late at work to move his badges 1/8" to the left and pointed it out this morning. 1SG spanked me while the CO watched, once they caught it. Tomorrow I get to start all over again...
If you get that sucker partly de thawed you can throw it in to cook and it’ll continue to dethaw. I’ve done it before and it came out still good.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Bob A Feet posted:

If you get that sucker partly de thawed you can throw it in to cook and it’ll continue to dethaw. I’ve done it before and it came out still good.

Thanks, that's good news and probably what I'll do. It'll probably be 60-75% thawed by tonight and I'll throw it on and hopefully have it finished before lunch.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Thanks, that's good news and probably what I'll do. It'll probably be 60-75% thawed by tonight and I'll throw it on and hopefully have it finished before lunch.

Lunch of what day?
I'm no big meat smoking expert but if it's really that big you're looking at 1.5-2hrs per LB fully unthawed @ 225 so 17lbs is going to be over a day in the smoker.

Edit: If it were me I'd go back in time and stick it in the smoker this morning and hope it's ready for consumption by dinner tomorrow.

tater_salad fucked around with this message at 16:56 on Sep 25, 2020

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

Soiled Meat
seriously. I'd cut that sucker in half. More bark and quicker cook.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Canuckistan posted:

seriously. I'd cut that sucker in half. More bark and quicker cook.

or this.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

tater_salad posted:

Lunch of what day?
I'm no big meat smoking expert but if it's really that big you're looking at 1.5-2hrs per LB fully unthawed @ 225 so 17lbs is going to be over a day in the smoker.

Edit: If it were me I'd go back in time and stick it in the smoker this morning and hope it's ready for consumption by dinner tomorrow.

I’ve never had a Shoulder take quite that long but you’re right I should probably get it in sooner rather than later. Normally I put them on early evening they’re done after 14 hours or so but those are also ~10-12 pounders.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

marshalljim posted:

I'm not trying to start poo poo or gatekeep my assorted chili variations. Take the aggression down some more friend.
I'm not arguing the technique of adding masa, just that their overall trend is that of BA and making food "safer/less exotic" and I've gravitated away from their recipes over the years as there is usually something with more intense/stronger flavor profiles.
Much like I find myself double checking any SE recipe that isn't Gritzer/Kenji/Sho/Stella since so much of their early content is straight broken/weird recipes.

To the length of cook question:
i had a 9lb shoulder that took almost 18+ hours with stall. I'd split that 17lber in two.

McSpankWich
Aug 31, 2005

Plum Island Animal Disease Research Center. Sounds charming.
I did a 13lb and finally gave up after like 18 hours, I don't remember what the internal was, I think somewhere in the low 190s. It was fine, but definitely cut it in half.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

Whats the biggest pork shoulder you've ever done? I've got a 17.5 pounder thawing in the fridge. Apparently 24 hours per 5 pounds to thaw is the norm. Thinking about dumping it in a 5 gallon bucket of water with the Anova to speed it up.

Is it a single 17.5 lb shoulder? B/c most of the cryovac packages that come in around that weight range are actually two shoulders in one package that are easily separated once thawed.

(But yeah I am with everyone else, split it in half if it isn’t already.)

Nosthula
Mar 23, 2009
I don't know how people get shorter boston butt cooks at @225 but for me it's drat near perfectly 2 hours a pound. I almost exclusively cook 9 to 10 bone in shoulders. I'm wondering if people aren't getting an accurate read on their cook temps. I will put my shoulder on around 9-10 pm Thursday to be ready for dinner on Friday.

Edit: Holy crap on the 17 lb shoulder!

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Kalman posted:

Is it a single 17.5 lb shoulder? B/c most of the cryovac packages that come in around that weight range are actually two shoulders in one package that are easily separated once thawed.

(But yeah I am with everyone else, split it in half if it isn’t already.)

Yeah I figured it was 2 shoulders but it wasn't labelled as such so I googled it and it said they can be 14-18 pounds so I was like eh maybe it is one shoulder and just now I opened it up and it's absolutely two shoulders.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

bird with two butts posted:

Yeah I figured it was 2 shoulders but it wasn't labelled as such so I googled it and it said they can be 14-18 pounds so I was like eh maybe it is one shoulder and just now I opened it up and it's absolutely two shoulders.

Fixed