Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

https://twitter.com/orvaille/status/1307426797433257984

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

I'm deathly afraid of spiders but after taking lsd one time I started feeling bad about killing them needlessly, so I try to let them be unless they're in my Green Zones (bed, couch, toilet and shower). I have explained the rules to them.

Agrinja
Nov 30, 2013

Praise the Sun!

Total Clam

Biplane posted:

I have explained the rules to them.

Spiders get to live in the basement and garage.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Mega Comrade posted:

I was confused by "put up webs" part for a moment there. Seems the USA and UK use the term "daddy long legs" to mean completely different things.

In the UK they are an annoying type of crane fly that breed in September and fly into your house, attracted by light to then spend the entire evening bumping into everything inside your home, including you.

Tiggum is I believe Australian, where the name is used for a super spindly spider that's completely harmless to humans, but tends to prey on other spiders. I think the name is also used in the US, but I also see that they're called 'cellar spiders'.

They are prodigious web-spinners, though they tend to just stick to corners of ceilings.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
I believe the ones in the US don’t spin webs or aren’t considered true spiders or something. I don’t know if we have a common name for those big clumsy mosquito looking things.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Always called those mosquito hawks.

(though I know they are crane flies)

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Henchman of Santa posted:

I believe the ones in the US don’t spin webs or aren’t considered true spiders or something. I don’t know if we have a common name for those big clumsy mosquito looking things.

In the US and Canada the term is often used for harvestmen, non-spider arachnids from the order Opiliones. They don't produce silk or venom.

Where I'm from we call crane flies "mosquito catchers." Other places tend to have a variant of that.

Rondette
Nov 4, 2009

Your friendly neighbourhood Postie.

Grimey Drawer
The standard UK daddy-long legs has some extremely toxic venom however their weak little bites mean they can never harm us.

Stoatbringer
Sep 15, 2004

naw, you love it you little ho-bot :roboluv:

Rondette posted:

The standard UK daddy-long legs has some extremely toxic venom however their weak little bites mean they can never harm us.

It's not October 2020 yet.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Rondette posted:

This is an urban legend. They have normal spider venom and can actually bite you (they just don't because spiders don't really tend to bite people)

Mak0rz has a new favorite as of 15:18 on Sep 24, 2020

Thinky Whale
Aug 2, 2012

All that most maddens and torments; all that stirs up the lees of things; all truth with malice in it; all that cracks the sinews and cakes the brain; all the subtle demonisms of life and thought; all evil were visibly personified, and made practically assailable in Fry.

Love to have a neurologist just open 'er up and poke around in there

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Mak0rz posted:

This is an urban legend. They have normal spider venom and can actually bite you (they just don't because spiders don't really tend to bite people)

Apparently not even, their venom is relatively weak and if they do bite you you might not really notice.

GlobglogGroAbgalab
Jul 25, 2016

It appears that the elephant is highly sensitive to the effects of LSD - a finding which may prove to be valuable in elephant-control work in Africa.

Cleretic posted:

Tiggum is I believe Australian, where the name is used for a super spindly spider that's completely harmless to humans, but tends to prey on other spiders. I think the name is also used in the US, but I also see that they're called 'cellar spiders'.

They are prodigious web-spinners, though they tend to just stick to corners of ceilings.

We only use daddy long legs to refer to harvestmen in my region of the US, and cellar spiders are just cellar spiders. I am well aware, however, that cellar spiders have an equally legitimate claim to the title

GlobglogGroAbgalab
Jul 25, 2016

It appears that the elephant is highly sensitive to the effects of LSD - a finding which may prove to be valuable in elephant-control work in Africa.

Rondette posted:

Wikipedia posted:

An urban legend claims that the harvestman is the most venomous animal in the world, but possesses fangs too short or a mouth too round and small to bite a human, rendering it harmless (the same myth applies to Pholcus phalangioides and the cranefly, which are both also called a "daddy longlegs"). This is untrue on several counts. None of the known species of harvestmen has venom glands; their chelicerae are not hollowed fangs but grasping claws that are typically very small and not strong enough to break human skin.

We say the same thing here though. I think we associate the “fact” with the name, therefore anything called daddy long legs is the most venomous, regardless or species, order, phylum, kingdom

E:

gently caress, double post. I am such a fool.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!

RobrtDwnsySyndrome posted:

We say the same thing here though. I think we associate the “fact” with the name, therefore anything called daddy long legs is the most venomous, regardless or species, order, phylum, kingdom

E:

gently caress, double post. I am such a fool.

What's interesting about this is he's talking about UK daddy long legs. Which are not harvest men or celler spiders, but the same urban myth had traveled across the Atlantic over to here to the UK about our daddy long legs. Which aren't even spiders but crane flies.

Someone else mentioned the term "mosquito catchers" too for the craned flies but they don't eat mosquitoes as all.

My guess is Internet makes you stupid?

Mega Comrade has a new favorite as of 16:55 on Sep 24, 2020

GlobglogGroAbgalab
Jul 25, 2016

That is absolutely my take, or rather unexamined information makes you credulous.

Now let’s hear some facts about fannies!

Fact: doodie comes out of the fanny

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!

RobrtDwnsySyndrome posted:

Now let’s hear some facts about fannies!

Fact: doodie comes out of the fanny

In the UK, if it did you should go to the doctor right away.

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

Flashback to last semester when a prof of mine had to send out two, two separate emails after lecture full of resources explaining that spiders don't, generally, bite people, and no there are no brown recluses in Canada I don't care what your cousin said, because people would not stop arguing with the PhD about spiders being bitey monsters.

One of the sources he linked had arguing comments, with someone claiming that spiders will feast on your blood while you sleep, leaving trails of bites in a line as they feed. Buddy, no, that's not spiders. That's bedbugs.

I've been picking up and relocating spiders with my bare hands for thirty odd years, and have never been bitten. I don't like to kill spiders. They are good friends. Yesterday I killed an earwig, though, because it jumped out at me during a lab quiz. It was hiding in the seed pod I was dissecting.

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.

Mega Comrade posted:

In the UK, if it did you should go to the doctor right away.

It’s called queef

GlobglogGroAbgalab
Jul 25, 2016

goblin week posted:

It’s called queef

In my region we call them cootch-bubblers

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

RoboRodent posted:

Flashback to last semester when a prof of mine had to send out two, two separate emails after lecture full of resources explaining that spiders don't, generally, bite people, and no there are no brown recluses in Canada I don't care what your cousin said, because people would not stop arguing with the PhD about spiders being bitey monsters.

I don't know a lot of arachnologists but I do know that they (especially Canadian ones) are extremely tired of this poo poo

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell

RoboRodent posted:

One of the sources he linked had arguing comments, with someone claiming that spiders will feast on your blood while you sleep, leaving trails of bites in a line as they feed. Buddy, no, that's not spiders. That's bedbugs.

I've been picking up and relocating spiders with my bare hands for thirty odd years, and have never been bitten. I don't like to kill spiders. They are good friends. Yesterday I killed an earwig, though, because it jumped out at me during a lab quiz. It was hiding in the seed pod I was dissecting.

Yeah, they might not generally bite, but have one spider bite you in the dick and let me tell you, you won’t ever trust them again.

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

Agrinja posted:

Spiders get to live in the basement and garage.

Australia is earth's basement and garage then, got it.

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

This is what i think of when i hear daddy long legs

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Hihohe posted:

Those are the things that live dissolutely in and around the keypad next to my garage door and jump up panicking and flapping their legs around like a drunk hobo whenever I flip it open, yes

e: VV :hmmyes:

Data Graham has a new favorite as of 17:27 on Sep 24, 2020

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

Hihohe posted:

This is what I think of.

cult_hero
Jul 10, 2001

goblin week posted:

It’s called queef

It would actually be a rectovaginal fistula, substantially different thing.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

I think of this.

GlobglogGroAbgalab
Jul 25, 2016

Powerful sex-pest vibes steaming from the image above

Kantesu
Apr 21, 2010

Hihohe posted:

Those are harvestmen, the aforementioned non-spider arachnids.

china bot
Sep 7, 2014

you listen HERE pal
SAY GOODBYE TO TELEPHONE SEX
Plaster Town Cop

give us hell, Quimby!

artsy fartsy
May 10, 2014

You'll be ahead instead of behind. Hello!
Oh! oh! are we talking daddy long-legs? Y'all check out the nest (swarm? hairball? dance party?) I found last year on a camping trip: https://www.instagram.com/p/BzO0dnIFaDN/?igshid=1xjnuwy7ri7y6

Like what is even happening here

Eta: if you enjoy the myth about them being extremely venomous but having fangs too small to bite, that does pretty much apply to coral snakes. I understand they have a lot of trouble biting through clothes (and are so non-aggressive they probably won't even try) but the venom is extremely dangerous. I've also been told there's no antivenin for them in America because the bites are so rare, not sure about that though

artsy fartsy has a new favorite as of 18:52 on Sep 24, 2020

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Loomer posted:

Yeah, they might not generally bite, but have one spider bite you in the dick and let me tell you, you won’t ever trust them again.

Never swipe right on Shelob.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

RoboRodent posted:

Next time I have an 8 legged hell beast in my apartment I will call you to remove it.
I never used to care much about spiders than something called a Red Spider bit the underside of my foot when I was in 4th grade and I couldn't walk at all that day and now I hate all spiders.

Hokkaido Anxiety
May 21, 2007

slub club 2013

Captain Monkey posted:

Shelob on my knob

wizzardstaff
Apr 6, 2018

Zorch! Splat! Pow!

Captain Monkey posted:

:nws: Relevant Oglaf

e: cheerier Oglaf (still nsfw)

wizzardstaff has a new favorite as of 18:57 on Sep 24, 2020

GlobglogGroAbgalab
Jul 25, 2016

artsy fartsy posted:

Oh! oh! are we talking daddy long-legs? Y'all check out the nest (swarm? hairball? dance party?) I found last year on a camping trip: https://www.instagram.com/p/BzO0dnIFaDN/?igshid=1xjnuwy7ri7y6

I am equal parts delighted and disgusted

The worst they will do is tickle you, like, real bad

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
Spiders that mind their own business or approach me in a peaceful manner I generally leave alone or peacefully relocated. But if they drop from the ceiling right in front of my face my finely tuned survival instincts take over and I’m sorry that it has to end this way.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

artsy fartsy posted:

Get daddy long legged lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Canned Panda
Jul 10, 2012

https://twitter.com/DailyCaller/status/1309160746194960384?s=20

https://twitter.com/HueyLongReturns/status/1309187718795145221?s=20