Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sally Sprodgkin
May 23, 2007

Unkempt posted:

What happened to the other six embryos? I think I missed that somehow.

IIRC there is a scene where (young) Campion (before the Arc arrival) is found by Mother with the embryo briefcase open and the embryos dead. Mother loses her poo poo at him and he takes responsibility. Later, Mother finds out it was 2 of the other children who opened the embryo pods to play with them unknowingly, and that Campion told the other children after he found out / after Mother told him that it was just snowballs in order to save their feelings, even though Campion knew they were babies.

Mother then takes Campion to the hole and throws the dead embryos in, which will probably have significance later in the plot. I think the scene also demonstrated Mother gaining respect or admiration (?) for Campion.

Sally Sprodgkin fucked around with this message at 14:56 on Sep 23, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Oh yes, 100% forgot about them playing with them.

Zmej
Nov 6, 2005

Open Source Idiom posted:

I do think this show is attracting a lot of people yelling plot hole because it's so utterly uninterested in explaining a lot of its mechanics.
yea. I also find some stuff kinda hilarious if you ask a few questions that I don't think the writers did. like, this guy who programmed mother and sent a spaceship to a not-very-well-known planets as the last hope of humanity, had seemingly no plans or equipment included to make sure native vegetation doesn't kill the kids. "hey man we're just winging it" but we see him painstakingly reprogramming Mother for weeks (?). I just find it funny that humanity's last hope was ruined because no asked if it was safe to feed the spicy potatoes to the kids lol

but serious question why did he capture a necromancer and not just use two service androids? am I forgetting a line of dialogue? like "oh well resources were sparse and this was the first thing I could get my hands on"?

Zmej fucked around with this message at 15:56 on Sep 23, 2020

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Zmej posted:

yea. I also find some stuff kinda hilarious if you ask a few questions that I don't think writers did. like, this guy who programmed mother and sent a spaceship to a not-very-well-known planets as the last hope of humanity, had seemingly no plans or equipment included to make sure native vegetation doesn't kill the kids. "hey man we're just winging it" but we see him painstakingly reprogramming Mother for weeks (?). I just find it funny that humanity's last hope was ruined because no asked if it was safe to feed the spicy potatoes to the kids lol

but serious question why did he capture a necromancer and not just use two service androids? am I forgetting a line of dialogue? like "oh well resources were sparse and this was the first thing I could get my hands on"?

im guessing he used a necromancer because it would be the best equipped to keep the kids safe, and an ironic choice if it ends up keeping them safe from the mithraic. but its also possible that he had no particular reason, and the writers idea was “what if kids born on an alien world after the fall of mankind are raised by an ultimate human-destroying weapon” hence the title of the show & the scene where she tells the three little pigs story

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica

veni veni veni posted:

It's like people are watching Zardoz and trying to criticize it like Apollo 13.

This is a good comparison.

Unfortunately I think a lot of sci fi watchers are sorta intellectually insecure, and used to game-like decision making, so you get all these game-theory style judgments of character decisions and comprehensibility of plot instead of taking in the fantastical and imaginative world building.

"Why would they call it a 'necromancer' if it doesnt literally raise dead bodies to do its bidding???"

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
It was very convenient the atheist lander fell into a hole and needed parachute to stop but the mithraic landers could all soft under under power.

The atheist lander probably a lot more luggage and a space microwave.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Shaocaholica posted:

It was very convenient the atheist lander fell into a hole and needed parachute to stop but the mithraic landers could all soft under under power.

The atheist lander probably a lot more luggage and a space microwave.

They've implied that the Mithraics were well off, and Campion Sr was hiding out in an evacuated Mithraic base, scavenging for parts. He was never going to have access to the best tech.

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
can I just express how much I loving love the scoring of this show? absolutely amazing. these are all credits/intro tracks and they're just so well constructed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dFs4yX4V7NQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N0chs47raqA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0GjvX1Gk-HU

Cuddly Tumblemumps
Aug 23, 2013

Postmodernity means the exhilarating freedom to pursue anything, yet mind-boggling uncertainty as to what is worth pursuing and in the name of what one should pursue it.

Zmej posted:

For a brilliant programmer, weaponizing a service android for defense of a settlement seems like more work than reprogramming a deathbot.

Having worked in tech with brilliant idiots who make bizarre decisions when not being herded by a project manager... Seems reasonable that he'd screw up the ways he did.
Dude was deprived of oxygen, in an active warzone, and the product of a generation we can assume doesn't know what optimal, normal human conditions are for parenting.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

I do think this show is attracting a lot of people yelling plot hole because it's so utterly uninterested in explaining a lot of its mechanics.

Which is fair enough because a lot of the explanations are boring.

But my favourite one I keep seeing is "Why didn't Mother / Father do [x] in all the years they spent looking after six children on an alien planet previously uninhabited by human life".

I think they were probably a bit busy.

I'm raising one child in a pandemic, I can't imagine raising six in a mostly inhospitable wasteland and having time to do much of anything else, even if I was a robot that didn't need to sleep (which I'm doing a pretty good imitation of these days).

It's amazing how good a story this show tells with just some huts in a desert and some woods. The constant visions and voices and parkouring strangers are taking me out of the story a bit, and I hope they're explained. My theory of the visions is something like the crashed ark has its holodeck-type tech "leaking" into the world. It would explain why even androids are affected by it. When they found the mirror weapon I thought that's what they were going to say it was. I'm bracing myself for being disappointed when the mystery of the show is answered, but I also have faith (hah) that there is some non-supernatural answer to everything. The thing about prophecies is that they're intentionally vague, and like someone said above, it applies to almost every named character. Any ark could have landed on any planet and the "orphaned boy on an empty land" or whatever could apply to anyone the cultists wanted, and all the arks probably have a candidate sooner or later. I could imagine a future season where the surviving characters we know are fighting against a fully-loaded Mithraic ark from another planet who claim to be led by a prophet fitting that description. I'm not clear if there's more than one ark, Marcus and Sue were arguing about what to do if other people came to the planet though.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

The most hilarious part of the pilot episode had to be how Mother thought she could cover up her true nature despite all her weird mannerisms and unbelievable cover story.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”
When I first saw the creatures I immediately assumed they had something to do with the embryos left in the ship. They look too humanoid, like some form of severely mutated human. They also didn't start showing up until years after they landed.

My theory is that the strange monolith in the desert and the shafts are somehow related, maybe some really strange alien entity or what remains of an alien AI. Tally falling in the tunnels gave it knowledge of humans and that Mithraic android that jumped in gave it knowledge about androids and the Mithraic cult. It uses this newfound knowledge to manipulate it's new neighbors and I think the Mithraic cult will end up choosing to identify it as Sol.

It also chooses to manipulate the two groups differently, as a voice identified as Sol to the Mithraic cult and Tally to the settlement. What I don't get is why it wants Campion to kill himself but also wants to keep Mother alive? Maybe by being able to manifest as Campion it thinks it would have an easier time manipulating Mother?

What did the voice tell Marcus right before he killed that cleric with the monolith? In the last episode was it trying to kill off Marcus when he fought himself?

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob
Keppler 22-B is just a heatsink for the giant icosahedric AI computer.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Raised By Wolves might be a stealth No Man’s Sky prequel.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Gonz posted:

Raised By Wolves might be a stealth No Man’s Sky prequel.

Lmao. But also :thunk:

Some of the Sheep
May 25, 2005
POSSIBLY IT WOULD BE SIMPLER IF I ASKED FOR A LIST OF THE HARMLESS CREATURES OF THE AFORESAID CONTINENT?

Mustang posted:

When I first saw the creatures I immediately assumed they had something to do with the embryos left in the ship. They look too humanoid, like some form of severely mutated human. They also didn't start showing up until years after they landed.

I think the crashing of the Ark and the creatures showing up are linked. The Ark survivors talked about the crash cracking the earth open, which may have brought these things to the surface. The show doesn't bother to try and make sense of anything though so who the gently caress knows.

Zmej
Nov 6, 2005

Cuddly Tumblemumps posted:

For a brilliant programmer, weaponizing a service android for defense of a settlement seems like more work than reprogramming a deathbot.
idk, reprogramming the terminator meant to murder atheists to take of your atheist raised last-hope-of-humanity babies seems a bit dicey. I feel like father did a pretty good job defending the kids with no gun initially against several people with a guns.

maybe it's nit picky, but I still can't get over no one had a plan to scan the forbidden spicy potatoes but had the foresight to reprogram a genocidal android lol

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Zmej posted:

maybe it's nit picky, but I still can't get over no one had a plan to scan the forbidden spicy potatoes but had the foresight to reprogram a genocidal android lol

They didn’t have the ability to analyze the potatoes until they had the escape pod from the Arc, because the original escape pod fell into a hole in the first episode.

AtraMorS
Feb 29, 2004

If at the end of a war story you feel that some tiny bit of rectitude has been salvaged from the larger waste, you have been made the victim of a very old and terrible lie

Zmej posted:

They've mentioned several times that Father has less "processing power" than Mother, right? That might be because Father had his processor replaced early on, but maybe hacker-Campion needed a more sophisticated android than Father's model to program a better facsimile for emotion and nurturing or something like that.

That said there's a lot about this show that I just kind of accept as happening regardless of sense or logic. Kind of like the way I watch David Lynch or Darren Aronofsky's weirder stuff.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT
It's also possible hacker-campion knew about the Ark and set up this conflict on purpose.

LibCrusher
Jan 6, 2019

by Fluffdaddy

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

It's also possible hacker-campion knew about the Ark and set up this conflict on purpose.

If the two stowaway yahoo atheists knew about the ark, then so did Camp sr.

This show is annoying me with so many unanswered questions, and the fact that the survivors are definitely NOT acting like they are the last human beings alive. Why do they treat human life so flippantly?

Also isnt mother’s Android goo all gonna leak out while she wanders the wilderness? Isn’t that bad for them? Are all androids built with a ton of extra goo just in case?

Also what was with that other person that keeps showing up with the whispering voices? Is it really Tally? Some weird alien or something that doesn’t quite know how to interact with people?

I’ll still keep watching but my patience is wearing kinda thin.

Ersatz
Sep 17, 2005

LibCrusher posted:

If the two stowaway yahoo atheists knew about the ark, then so did Camp sr.

This show is annoying me with so many unanswered questions, and the fact that the survivors are definitely NOT acting like they are the last human beings alive. Why do they treat human life so flippantly?

Also isnt mother’s Android goo all gonna leak out while she wanders the wilderness? Isn’t that bad for them? Are all androids built with a ton of extra goo just in case?

Also what was with that other person that keeps showing up with the whispering voices? Is it really Tally? Some weird alien or something that doesn’t quite know how to interact with people?

I’ll still keep watching but my patience is wearing kinda thin.
This probably isn't the show for you.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

We’re only 7 episodes in of 10 and a 2nd season

they’ve answered some things but the rest is the long game. Have faith.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Vintersorg posted:

Have faith.

No. :colbert:

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

MOVIE MAJICK posted:

This is a good comparison.

Unfortunately I think a lot of sci fi watchers are sorta intellectually insecure, and used to game-like decision making, so you get all these game-theory style judgments of character decisions and comprehensibility of plot instead of taking in the fantastical and imaginative world building.

"Why would they call it a 'necromancer' if it doesnt literally raise dead bodies to do its bidding???"

i'm enjoying the show but i kinda would like to know why they are called necromancers

wolfs
Jul 17, 2001

posted by squid gang

Why are certain tanks and jets named things like the Chieftain, Typhoon, Osprey, Hornet, or whatever? It’s cool and evocative.

Eau de MacGowan
May 12, 2009

BRASIL HEXA
2026 tá logo aí
lets be honest they were probably called medusas until some studio exec left a note saying "why is she called medusa when she doesnt even have snakes for hair?", then did a tiny fistpump knowing he's justified his six figures

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
MIRACULOUS ANDROID PREGNANCY

:stare:

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

It's a dumb name for something that just annihilates people, but it was created and presumably named by the Mythriac. Maybe there was some old tyme relijun logic about the soulless atheists dying, so the Mythriac could be reborn yadda yadda. Who knows. I could see some irl chuds calling a drone "necromancer" while they bomb brown people with it cause it sounds badass.

But really the reason is someone thought it sounded badass.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

wolfs posted:

Why are certain tanks and jets named things like the Chieftain, Typhoon, Osprey, Hornet, or whatever? It’s cool and evocative.

banshee is also cool and evocative and vastly more accurate to the powerset

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
What the gently caress.

That medical check up sequence.

Also "fuel blood". You can't fool me show. I know it's milk.

Edit: Her name is Mary-Sue.

Open Source Idiom fucked around with this message at 12:15 on Sep 24, 2020

wolfs
Jul 17, 2001

posted by squid gang

hahaha amazing

Ep9:

MOTHER NEEDS BLOOD is a strong opening

What the gently caress.

Edit: Her name is Mary-Sue.

yeah well... Mary in the Bible is probably a Mary Sue too dont u think! there was even a throwaway line a while back about how she can’t get pregnant! and her mullet makes it impossible to dislike her!

wolfs fucked around with this message at 12:07 on Sep 24, 2020

lumpentroll
Mar 4, 2020

i hope ragnar is dead

Dark Off
Aug 14, 2015

man 8-9th episode was quite something :stare:
the biggest thing was those metal tablets causing self diagnostics to trigger with mother and that whole alien head spewing milk thing. Very lost like mystery I hope it gets solved in sane fashion

and what is mother pregnant with :ohdear: i hope it isnt xenomorph. Because pauls feels that the children will be good is fairly ominous to me

wolfs
Jul 17, 2001

posted by squid gang

lumpentroll posted:

i hope ragnar is dead

you and I know he is now a Chekhov’s fake dad for ep 10

LentThem
Aug 31, 2004

90% Retractible

Anonymous Zebra posted:

YES. I started writing a rather long post about how this show feels like some kind of fever dream with a weird fluid idea of reality,

It reminds me of the Sixth Sense thing where they deliberately never show the beginning or ending of any scene and never track the main character between scenes because it's the only way him being a ghost can even slightly surprise the audience

The show has been careful to keep everything internally consistent and has an attention to detail so "we will ignore everything outside of this limited narrative" is definitely a deliberate choice. I'm really hoping it doesnt end up being used to present really underwhelming plot points as HOLY gently caress WHAT JUST HAPPENED moments

Miss Mowcher
Jul 24, 2007

Ribbit
Eps 8/9

So... Androids are alien tech ?

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc
This show is bad, "every episode another weirder less explained thing happens" does not a good show make and I have zero confidence we will get an explanation for even half of what is happening in the final episode of the season

Piell fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Sep 24, 2020

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
It's very good actually, I also liked Lost by the way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scrotum Modem
Sep 12, 2014

If this sci-fi show doesn't explain the entire show's plot in the beginning of the first episode like a star wars movie then it is a bad sci-fi show

Actually I like this science fiction mystery so far. Like any show similar to this, the end could easily make or break it. With its themes involving religion and technology and some unknowns from the perspective of the show's audience, I don't think it's gone overboard yet. I'm watching until the end