Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Franchescanado posted:

How would this work, since half of the contenders would be stealing votes from the other half?

The two that get knocked out this round go head to head before the final. Football (soccer) world cup does the same thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

Tarnop posted:

The two that get knocked out this round go head to head before the final. Football (soccer) world cup does the same thing.

Ahhhh. Gotcha. Thanks for clarifying.

Class3KillStorm
Feb 17, 2011

Franchescanado posted:

How would this work, since half of the contenders would be stealing votes from the other half?

I think the idea would have to be the losers of the Final Four square off against each other, at the same time as the finals, with the winner of that match-up being declared the bronze medal winner.

I personally think that might be a bit much, since we're already committing to a 6-movie final event, but others could have a different viewpoint.

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender
Wait, the final event is based on all of the director's movies?

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

married but discreet posted:

Wait, the final event is based on all of the director's movies?

Not all of them. 3 random picks from each go head to head.

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Time for a little robot chauvinism!

The finalists will draw their last remaining films to go head to head. They then draw 2 other random films they've previously played to be matched against each other. So for sake of argument let's pretend our finals are Cronenberg vs. Miike. It will be:

The Brood vs. As the Gods Will, which are their respective 6th slot films.

They then draw two random previously played films. So it could end up being Dead Ringers vs. Audition and Shivers vs. Imprint. Whoever wins 2/3 of the matchups takes the title.

----

So, my heart weeps for Lynch. A well fought, tight matchup, but I feel that the weaker David has won. That said, Rabid is kind of a weak draw and while I can imagine repeat fatigue could hurt Russell, I can't fathom seeing Lair of the White Worm as the weaker film here. My vote goes to Russell handily in this round.

However, I've not seen either Katakuris or RotLD3 so I'm looking forward to those films, it seems like a real buckwild matchup from what I know about both of them.

I'm also very game to do a 3rd place vote alongside the finals as well.

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

Tarnop posted:

Can I just jump straight in to Return of the Living Dead 3 without seeing 2?

Yes and 2 is kinda poo poo anyway

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
Are the streaming versions of ROTLD 3 the unrated version? There's a fair bit of gore cut out in the R version.

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

WeaponX posted:

Yes and 2 is kinda poo poo anyway

2 is just a bland retread of the first movie except with an annoying child thrown into the equation.

Debbie Does Dagon
Jul 8, 2005

Never regret thy fall,
O Lynch of the fearless flight
For the greatest tragedy of them all
Is never to feel the burning light.

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Origami Dali posted:

Are the streaming versions of ROTLD 3 the unrated version? There's a fair bit of gore cut out in the R version.

On Prime it's just under 97 minutes which seems to be the length of the unrated on bluray.com

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!

Tarnop posted:

On Prime it's just under 97 minutes which seems to be the length of the unrated on bluray.com

Tbf, the unrated cut is 18 seconds longer, so they're both ~97 mins. A lot of the difference isn't longer scenes, but rather gorier alternate takes with the same runtime, and it's a lot of scenes. The version on Tubi says 96 mins, R rating too, so who knows.

The Hausu Usher
Feb 9, 2010

:spooky:
Screaming is the only useful thing that we can do.

Boy am I glad I was on a road trip last week and didn't write 1000 words on Dream Warriors as y'all would have broken my heart. It's been a while since I saw Faust but I distinctly remember it being awful.

Is it just that hard to vote for directors who re-rolled a movie already seen in this competition?

The Hausu Usher fucked around with this message at 18:23 on Sep 24, 2020

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Origami Dali posted:

Tbf, the unrated cut is 18 seconds longer, so they're both ~97 mins. A lot of the difference isn't longer scenes, but rather gorier alternate takes with the same runtime, and it's a lot of scenes. The version on Tubi says 96 mins, R rating too, so who knows.

Ah, ok. I watched the first 15 minutes and the scene in the lab at the start looked cut to me. There's a sequence where a doctor gets his fingers bitten off and you see his reaction, you see the hand afterwards, but not the actual bite

Debbie Does Dagon
Jul 8, 2005

:spooky: Rabid Vs. The Lair of the White Worm, FRIDAY, on the CineD Discord :spooky:

1930 EST Start time

:spooky: Happiness of the Katakuris Vs. RotLD 3, SATURDAY, on the CineD Discord :spooky:

1930 EST Start time

Right now I plan to stream the RotLD3 from Amazon Prime UK, which includes the bite, so I'm guessing is uncut?

MacheteZombie is hooking me up with the uncut version :swoon:

Debbie Does Dagon fucked around with this message at 19:24 on Sep 24, 2020

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Genuinely shocked Lynch fell. I thought he had this thing sewn up. Now it feels like Miike has the obvious edge but I can see Yuzna knocking him off this round. Nuts. No one could have predicted this bracket.

My tentative plan has been to watch all 8 remaining movies this week so I'm done by October 1st. Since Russell is a repeat its only 6/7, so that's easier. And ROTLD3 is old hat for me. So I'll be getting in The Brood, The Dentist, and As The Gods Will It. Maybe I'll toss in a Gothic rewatch since folks advised that. I dunno. I just don't think I feel Russell but if I have time this week...

Time to add Eraserhead to my October list. That's "body horror", right?

BisonDollah posted:

Boy am I glad I was on a road trip last week and didn't write 1000 words on Dream Warriors as y'all would have broken my heart. It's been a while since I saw Faust but I distinctly remember it being awful.

Is it just that hard to vote for directors who re-rolled a movie already seen in this competition?
I think people really liked Faust's insanity and were cold on Dream Warrior. Which makes me sad but I expected it. I think if Faust hadn't done the whole kid rape thing it might have won by more.

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Debbie Does Dagon posted:

Right now I plan to stream the RotLD3 from Amazon Prime UK, which includes the bite, so I'm guessing is uncut?

That's the version I was looking at too. I might have been expecting more gore. I know someone with the unrated blu-ray so I've asked them to check.

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Shrecknet posted:

Also Yuzna, the most underseeded person in this competition, draws arguably his strongest film in a catalog that is actually pretty stacked.

You've mentioned this a couple times, but shouldn't that really be Ken Russell? Dude drew an 11-seed and beat Clive Barker, Joe Dante, Larry Cohen and Guerillmo del Toro to face off against Cronenberg (and honestly, if y'all aren't tired by the repeats, he should by all metrics win this match). Though his style might be a little on-point from film to film, every time the quality of his work shined and he proved himself to be an A-Tier competitor even with a limited library of horror movies to draw from.

Yuzna, I will admit, has been the oddest dark horse to emerge and by all accounts should have gone down multiple times, if even in the first round against Kiyoshi Kurosawa. Topping Tobe Hooper was the big upset and one that resulted from him drawing the exact right film with Hooper drawing the exact wrong film, but I think from there beating Ridley Scott and Chuck Russell weren't that difficult all things considered. Bear in mind, had Ridley Scott not drawn Alien in the second round we would be talking about Carpenter as the favorite to win the tournament right now, another case of Exact Right Film/Exact Wrong Film. This tournament has been nothing if not chaos, but Yuzna getting this far might be the greatest fluke of it all. That's not to say I'm complaining -- far from it. He's shown to be an innovative, under-explored director whose work has been well worth the deep dive we've given it and I'm legit hype to watch RotLD3 now.

In general, examining the paths our Frightful Four took to get here is fascinating. Miike is the only #1 seed to survive this far and perhaps had the smoothest path here. He had an easy first round against Yoshiaki Kawajiri, but I was never sure he was going to survive that triple threat against William Castle and Bob Clark in the second round (which he wound up winning the outright majority). From there, disposing of Stuart Gordon and Ishiro Honda wasn't that difficult for him, as strong directors as they are both had burned their strongest work already and Miike played the hits.

And then there's Cronenberg. To be honest, he got really lucky this round, and the margin of victory proves it. Had Lynch drawn Eraserhead or Mulholland Dr. I think we'd be looking at a very different tournament here. He had a good Round One romp against Mary Lambert playing a made-for-TV kids film (could Pet Sematary have topped Dead Ringers? We'll never know). Then he went up against another bad Resident Evil sequel from PWSA in a no brainer match. It was dispatching Hitchcock and then Lynch that became his most impressive feats. Cronenberg has always felt like a wildcard for this tournament, he's a heavyweight of the genre for sure and yet his quality is inconsistent and his work is often cold and alienating. He goes into this match with I think the weakest film in his lineup, but I know Rabid has its fans. Will be real curious to see how this plays out.

Irony.or.Death
Apr 1, 2009

Absolutely blown away that Faust beat Dream Warriors. It's maybe not the worst film in the tournament but it's close.

Anyway this is a super boring one-sided round for me; as much as I hate the repeats and as much as I love Cronenberg, Rabid has nothing on Lair and Yuzna can't touch the Katakuris with anything on his roster short of Bride. And even that would be tough for him.

Debbie Does Dagon
Jul 8, 2005

TrixRabbi posted:

He had an easy first round against Yoshiaki Kawajiri

I voted for Kawajiri :smith: anime gets a bad rap in these parts, but it really is a medium worth exploring. Once you move beyond the problematic bullshit that's popular with the mainstream fans, you can find a lot of directors who are producing incredibly important work. Kawajiri is probably a middling example in the greater scheme of things, but I love him for how creative his movies are.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
After checking, the cut of ROTLD 3 on Prime is the cut version. Same deal for Tubi.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Rabid is the only movie in this foursome I havent seen but I'm very excited as well

Debbie Does Dagon
Jul 8, 2005

Origami Dali posted:

After checking, the cut of ROTLD 3 on Prime is the cut version.

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Whoop!

Debbie Does Dagon
Jul 8, 2005

I just watched the finger biting scene in the uncut version, and my opinion has gone from "meh" to "holy poo poo this might win"

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Awesome! I realised my description was really bad because you do actually see gloved fingers go in mouth in the cut version but I was expecting to see teeth and crunching bones

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
I have a lot of thoughts for Return of the Living Dead 3. I hope someone has a good write up for Happiness of the Katakuris. It’s new to me and I hope someone elaborates on the themes.

Debbie Does Dagon
Jul 8, 2005

:frogsiren: TONIGHT:frogsiren:

:spooky: Rabid Vs. The Lair of the White Worm, FRIDAY, on the CineD Discord :spooky:

1930 EST Rabid
2110 EST The Lair of the White Worm

:woof: TOMORROW :woof:

:spooky: Happiness of the Katakuris Vs. RotLD 3, SATURDAY, on the CineD Discord :spooky:

1750 EST Return of the Living Dead 2
1930 EST The Happiness of the Katakuris
2130 EST Return of the Living Dead 3

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I feel like if I'm gonna rewatch 2 and 3 I really have to watch Return of the Living Dead in the process.

But then I'll just convince myself to watch 4 and 5. shiver

Debbie Does Dagon
Jul 8, 2005

Now add the loosely connected Romero and Fulci films, and you have a party.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

We never got to watch Night for the tournament so I'm tempted to do Night > Return > Return 2 > Return 3 > Return 4 > Return 5.

Then a different timeline for Night > Snyder Dawn > Bad Day > Probably Worse Day Sequel

Then Night > Fulci > Whatever

Next tournament... Crisis On Infinite NOTLD Timelines.

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

If we do Not-In-Tournament/Second Chance directors I'm gunning to get Amando de Ossorio in there. Tombs of the Blind Dead at one point or another found itself re-billed as a part of the Zombie franchise.

Debbie Does Dagon
Jul 8, 2005

I love Tombs of the Blind Dead, it was one of my pleasant surprises during the April challenge thread. I think the series was also linked retroactively to Evil Dead too?

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
The Blind Dead series was definitely one of the big ones that was left out of the franchise tournament. They're all pretty consistently good imo, I know some people don't like Ghost Galleon but I thought it was a lot of fun.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

STAC Goat posted:

We never got to watch Night for the tournament so I'm tempted to do Night > Return > Return 2 > Return 3 > Return 4 > Return 5.

Then a different timeline for Night > Snyder Dawn > Bad Day > Probably Worse Day Sequel

Then Night > Fulci > Whatever

Next tournament... Crisis On Infinite NOTLD Timelines.

It would cover a fair amount of films.

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

You're missing some

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZZoqZxgw7HU

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
October Horror Challenge Thread is Live

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

David Cronenberg’s Rabid vs. Ken Russell’s The Lair of the White Worm
aka… “Did Cronenberg Just Have The Least Rapey Film?”

You know how I’ve been talking about this pattern of Cronenberg films with sexual assault, experimentation on women, and weird sexual dynamics were women like it? Well Rabid started all of that back in April when I first watched it so it was really interesting going back and rewatching it after all those other films and all this focus on Cronenberg as a filmmaker. Rabid’s actually a lot less guilty of that stuff than I remembered. The themes are there in part but no one’s actually sexually assaulted in this one and its not even clear of the human experimentation was intentional like it was in Shivers, Dead Ringers, Videodrome, or The Fly. But it does continue those themes of experimentation and transformation of humans into something else and some of the odd ideas I’m not sure where Cronenberg stands. But there’s also a lot more humanity and good story tension and build than I remembered or expected. Its also gotta be a lot different for me to watch a pandemic film than it was six months ago at the start of this whole era in our history. poo poo feels a lot more real and less out there this time around. And that probably let a lot of the story and human elements hit more.

Lair of the White Worm isn’t without its problematic elements. It actually kind of out creeps Cronenberg with the ceremonial dildos and virgin checks. Still it kind of dances around the line without every fully crossing it for me and stays a lot of fun for me. A lot of the appeal is less that horniness or the freakiness and more that dry British humor we’ve all seen. So much of the film is really a droll joke one after another from Hugh Grant’s spoiled goof just casually exercising his privilege nonstop in a way that everyone else kind of seems to be lightly rolling their eyes at. Or that he ultimately gets left out of the conclusion and has to be told what happens by a dorky nerd in a kilt. I just really really enjoy the humor of the film, as dry and nuanced as it often is. And I love the themes song.

Really tough vote for me. I didn’t love either but I enjoyed both in different ways and probably enjoyed both more than I did on the past viewings. On this movie alone I’m probably leaning to Russell. In the big picture I’m much more curious to watch the last Cronenberg film than repeat the films of Russell we’ve already seen and that I was kind of meh on. So I’m not really sure where to go on this one. Gonna have to think about it.

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender
Speaking of forgotten directors in the sequel to this tournament, how the hell did we not think of M. Night Shyamalan before? 6th Sense, Signs, The Happening, The Visit, Split, The Village, full roster right there with quite a few slappers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Shyamalan’s gonna get his best upfront and go farther than anyone anticipates.