Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Tato posted:

Also, when GOOD heel commentators finally, begrudgingly say something good about the babyface or give them props for winning, adds a little extra.

This is one of those things that really helps Hogan vs. Andre at WM3. Ventura absolutely hands it to Hogan for doing the impossible.

One of my favorite Ventura calls came from a Bushwackers match (forgot their opponents). The heels jumped them and did something illegal. The Bushwackers recovered and got back at them by doing the same illegal thing, this time standing tall while the crowd cheered. Ventura's response wasn't to poo poo on the faces for cheating, but instead shrugging and saying, "Turnabout's fair play! I can get behind that!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

One time a guy stole some downhill skis out of my jeep and I was so mad I punched a mailbox. I'm against crime, and I'm not ashamed to admit it.

davidbix posted:

Since his name was mentioned:

At this point, is the consensus that Scott Keith is/was a fabulist, or just someone who was gullible and/or had a terrible memory? There's so much that he said where he pointed to the Observer (when a lot less people read the Observer or even sites reliably citing the Observer properly), like Bret winning the Final Four main event because "planned winner" Steve Austin got hurt or Luna Vachon accusing David McLane of sexual harassment in her 1990 Yearbook interview, that if I had to guess, I think I'd lean towards "fabulist." But I'm honestly not sure. There was a LOT, though.

I think he’s more gullible than fabulist. He seems like the type who believed whatever rumour he read on RSPW first and never learned to re-evaluate as new info became available.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

Gavok posted:

This is one of those things that really helps Hogan vs. Andre at WM3. Ventura absolutely hands it to Hogan for doing the impossible.

One of my favorite Ventura calls came from a Bushwackers match (forgot their opponents). The heels jumped them and did something illegal. The Bushwackers recovered and got back at them by doing the same illegal thing, this time standing tall while the crowd cheered. Ventura's response wasn't to poo poo on the faces for cheating, but instead shrugging and saying, "Turnabout's fair play! I can get behind that!"

Ventura was absolutely about 'Whataboutism' for the faces. Which worked great when it was Hogan and Warrior cheating their balls off and getting a pass for it. It didn't work so well when he was trying to do it to Ricky Steamboat at WM 3.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

How many "New' tag teams did WWF have in the 0S? New Rockers, New Blackjacks, New Midnight Express...were the New Age Outlaws a "new" tag team?

Also were any of these teams besides he Outlaws any good or memorable? Maybe they wouldn't have been so bad if they weren't supposed to carry on the legacy of some of the most beloved teams ever. This "New [Team]" label was a curse more than anything.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

NikkolasKing posted:

How many "New' tag teams did WWF have in the 0S? New Rockers, New Blackjacks, New Midnight Express...were the New Age Outlaws a "new" tag team?

Also were any of these teams besides he Outlaws any good or memorable? Maybe they wouldn't have been so bad if they weren't supposed to carry on the legacy of some of the most beloved teams ever. This "New [Team]" label was a curse more than anything.

Owen Hart and Jim Neidhart were the New Foundation.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
What were Owen Hart and Koko B. Ware known as during that short period of time they were teaming up? They even had similar outfits to the New Foundation.

EDIT: Which is basically graphics from the opening credits of Saved by the Bell.

The Croc
Dec 19, 2004

A-well-a everybody's heard about the bird!

OH YEAH!

Pope Corky the IX posted:

What were Owen Hart and Koko B. Ware known as during that short period of time they were teaming up? They even had similar outfits to the New Foundation.

EDIT: Which is basically graphics from the opening credits of Saved by the Bell.

High Energy

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

The Croc posted:

High Energy

I have no memory of that being their name, haha, holy poo poo.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

NikkolasKing posted:

The New Age Outlaws weren't a "New" team. They got the name from Jim Ross, who was admonishing them for their despicable actions. "You're like some new age outlaws!"

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

BrigadierSensible posted:

Which led me to ask, what about the opposite? What big famous teams were actually enemies, or cold to one another in real life?
The Mega Powers and Lawler/Dundee are two examples of star teams that often feuded with each other both in kayfabe and real life.

your friend sk
Dec 10, 2005

(ヤイケス!)

Davros1 posted:

The New Age Outlaws weren't a "New" team. They got the name from Jim Ross, who was admonishing them for their despicable actions. "You're like some new age outlaws!"

I do like the implication that there were Age Outlaws though. Hogan and Piper around that time maybe?

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Pope Corky the IX posted:

I have no memory of that being their name, haha, holy poo poo.

Literally only know it because I had a WWF Annual as a kid from exactly the time that team existed, therefore it seemed way more long lasting to me than it actually was.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

sk posted:

I do like the implication that there were Age Outlaws though. Hogan and Piper around that time maybe?

I think Terry Funk had a stable in WCW he called "The Old Age Outlaws"

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Owen Hart is definitely one of the biggest cases I can think of where he was completely forgettable as a face (if obviously very good in the ring), then turned heel and grew a personality overnight

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

sk posted:

A stable with Lawler and most of the speaking out thread.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

NikkolasKing posted:

It's a few years behind, but don't forget The New Dream Team, Dino Bravo and Greg Valentine.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Davros1 posted:

I think Terry Funk had a stable in WCW he called "The Old Age Outlaws"
What?! He was never part of the West Texas Rednecks.

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011

Halloween Jack posted:

What?! He was never part of the West Texas Rednecks.

https://www.cagematch.net/?id=29&nr=224

quote:

Arn Anderson
Larry Zbyszko
Paul Orndorff
Terry Funk

quote:

[0.0] "This whole faction is so disrespectful to all the legends in it. This whole thing was sorta meant to parody the "New Age Outlaws" but they literally never did anything with this possibly "Dream Team" faction, and just turned into a whole waste of really amazing talent."

Decades
Apr 12, 2007

College Slice

Critical posted:

Basically Terry was hurt pretty bad by the last bump he took onto one of the C4 boards. Foley hints in his book that Terry was booked to win and just wasn't able to go any longer, but he's probably working.

IIRC the finish was supposed to be based about the ring exploding. But the explosion was so tiny no one would have bought it so they had to improvise and hosed each other up pretty good in the process.

Hedgehog Pie posted:

I can't imagine Terry being booked to win though, it seemed tailor made for Foley. Even if he initially was, I can actually see Terry going to bat for Foley.

That's right, now I remember the bit from the book about the ring failing to explode. I guess the improvisation explains the ending. There's still something odd about the reactions of Foley, Funk, and the ref after the pin that reminds me of the time Barry Windham got pinned in Flair's figure four, which I think was an accident. I'm probably just a mark. It's one of my favorite torch passing moments in any case.

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

Wow, Bix. First K.Rool, then Steve and now SEPHIROTH? Your dream game is real!

CopywrightMMXI posted:

I think he’s more gullible than fabulist. He seems like the type who believed whatever rumour he read on RSPW first and never learned to re-evaluate as new info became available.
So is/was his memory just TERRIBLE? Because he'd often give sources, like I alluded to. But he convinced a ton of people—younger me included!—that David McLane had publicly been accused of sexual harassment by both Luna and Ivory, when that just wasn't true, and that's monumentally hosed up.

Xerzes
May 16, 2012

Red posted:

It's a few years behind, but don't forget The New Dream Team, Dino Bravo and Greg Valentine.

Which would make Dino Bravo the replacement. I'm not sure I can think of a sadder thing than being Replacement Ed Leslie.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Xerzes posted:

Which would make Dino Bravo the replacement. I'm not sure I can think of a sadder thing than being Replacement Ed Leslie.

Being Ed Leslie

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Xerzes posted:

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

I'm glad Greg and Ed are still two dudes being bros but at the same time that's one of the most Florida pictures I've ever seen.

Numero6
Oct 10, 2012

ここは地の果て 流されて俺
今日もさすらい 涙も涸れる
ブルーゲイル
Greg still look young as ever.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
I'm fairly certain that's one of the oddest ways I've ever seen someone operate a remote.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.

sk posted:

I do like the implication that there were Age Outlaws though.

If only we had Imagine Dragons instead of sixpence none the richer. Then they would be the “welcome to the New Age, radioactive, outlaws”

Kosmo Gallion
Sep 13, 2013
Roughly how many openly LGBTQ wrestlers are currently active in WWE, AEW, New Japan, Impact etc?

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

Wow, Bix. First K.Rool, then Steve and now SEPHIROTH? Your dream game is real!

Breitbart Is Rightbart posted:

Roughly how many openly LGBTQ wrestlers are currently active in WWE, AEW, New Japan, Impact etc?
Off the top of my head and also refreshing my memory with Wikipedia: Sonya Deville, Mercedes Martinez, Shayna Baszler, Tegan Nox, Piper Niven, Jake Atlas, Kiera Hogan, Diamante, Nyla Rose, Sonny Kiss, and maybe Kenny Omega. (He's repeatedly liked tweets from fans that talk about him being bi/ a bi role model.)

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

davidbix posted:

Off the top of my head and also refreshing my memory with Wikipedia: Sonya Deville, Mercedes Martinez, Shayna Baszler, Tegan Nox, Piper Niven, Jake Atlas, Kiera Hogan, Diamante, Nyla Rose, Sonny Kiss, and maybe Kenny Omega. (He's repeatedly liked tweets from fans that talk about him being bi/ a bi role model.)

Add Aubrey Edwards to that list (she's bi) if we're including referees.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

fred rosser

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

I legit thought that was Ed Leslie and his mother at first lol

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Valentine really is in that Arn Anderson club where he doesn't seem to have aged in 30 years because he looked old as dirt 30 years ago

Red
Apr 15, 2003

DeathChicken posted:

Valentine really is in that Arn Anderson club where he doesn't seem to have aged in 30 years because he looked old as dirt 30 years ago

Also in that club:

- Nick Bockwinkel
- Paul Heyman
- Verne Gagne

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

Where does Ron Killings fit into this? He's looked the exact same since his debut in WWE.

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

CombineThresher posted:

Where does Ron Killings fit into this? He's looked the exact same since his debut in WWE.

Ron Killing is in a group with Gangrel because they're both vampires

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Ganso Bomb posted:

Ron Killing is in a group with Gangrel because they're both vampires

Gangrel looks like Greg Valentine with fangs, though.

fatherofmustard
May 15, 2018

Who's the best Generation Z (people born from 1997-present) wrestler?

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

riho maybe

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

fatherofmustard posted:

Who's the best Generation Z (people born from 1997-present) wrestler?

El Hijo del Vikingo? Utami Hayashishita? Ren Narita? Momo Watanabe? If NXT UK was a thing that people watched then you could also add A Kid but sadly it isn't so basically he doesn't exist