Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost

Test Pattern posted:

"It's OK to be wrong, as long as you acknowledge you were wrong and fix it" is a HUGE part of the story. Half the big dramatic moments we all remember are characters either realizing they'd been wrong, admitting they'd been wrong, or being called out on being wrong (and admitting it).

Conversely, characters being perversely and defiantly wrong and keep loving themselves over with it and still not realizing it.

Elaida and Elayne come to mind for this, to say nothing of the Forsaken in general

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

DarkHorse posted:

Conversely, characters being perversely and defiantly wrong and keep loving themselves over with it and still not realizing it.

Elaida and Elayne come to mind for this, to say nothing of the Forsaken in general

I say it again: Elaida's greatest flaw is right out there in the open. It's right in her name:

Elide:
transitive verb

1a : to suppress or alter (something, such as a vowel or syllable) by elision
b : to strike out (something, such as a written word)

2a : to leave out of consideration : omit
b : curtail, abridge

This is a woman who makes her entire life about omitting/altering/suppressing/altering/curtailing the things she doesn't want to see in favor of those she does. Her entire purpose is to be a self-deluded obstacle to the heroes and their designs.

I have yet to come up with a good excuse for Elayne, except perhaps as a commentary on privilege.

Anias
Jun 3, 2010

It really is a lovely hat

She fails forward by dint of being the daughter heir beloved of the dragon.

Blindly killing and maiming other people who the narrative doesn’t even deign to name. It’s not a subtle commentary.

bio347
Oct 29, 2012

ConfusedUs posted:

I say it again: Elaida's greatest flaw is right out there in the open. It's right in her name:

Elide:
transitive verb

1a : to suppress or alter (something, such as a vowel or syllable) by elision
b : to strike out (something, such as a written word)

2a : to leave out of consideration : omit
b : curtail, abridge

This is a woman who makes her entire life about omitting/altering/suppressing/altering/curtailing the things she doesn't want to see in favor of those she does. Her entire purpose is to be a self-deluded obstacle to the heroes and their designs.
I adore that Elaida's Foretelling about the royal line of Andor was almost certainly about Rand, though she probably had no way of knowing it. From the absolute very start, she's wrong.

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

Invalid Validation posted:

Which relationship? There’s at least three wives to ask.

considering the nature of most of the advice he gives...:v:

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

Famethrowa posted:

with this in mind, the series really reads as "Robert Jordan's guide to his and his wife's relationship"

"death light as a feather, duty heavy as a mountain"?

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Which relationship? There’s at least three wives to ask.

He's stated that many of the female characters in the series are at least in part based on his wife.

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

I wonder if Berelain was.

I'm up to Towers of Midnight in my re-read, and I had forgotten that the Perrin/Galad situation gets resolved because Galad is super-thirsty for Berelain.

bio347
Oct 29, 2012
I'm in the middle of The Gathering Storm, and it feels kinda weird.

I know that part of it is simply that I've read Jordan's books far more than I have Sanderson's. I can't recall anymore if I actually did a reread for all three of the latter, so it's entirely possible I've read each of them only once (certainly not more than thrice each), while I could probably recite Eye of the World plot point by plot point and my poor thousand-page middle books are practically falling apart.

Part of it is certainly noticing oddities among word choice and the like, though I try and not stare at things too hard because that way lies madness.

But honestly? The thing that's getting me the most is the absolute mess of the structure of the book. It steadfastly refuses to stay in one place for more than a chapter or two, and loves shoving multiple PoVs into single chapters, made all the more noticeable for being so close to Crossroads of Twilight (which I think is absolutely gorgeously organized). I certainly get it, but man if it isn't jarring.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

i'm like halfway through the last book and it feels like sanderson kind of adjusts to the role better as he goes along. it's a bit weird in his first one for sure, but imo it smooths out.

Anias
Jun 3, 2010

It really is a lovely hat

Old Kentucky Shark posted:

I wonder if Berelain was.

I'm up to Towers of Midnight in my re-read, and I had forgotten that the Perrin/Galad situation gets resolved because Galad is super-thirsty for Berelain.

Probably.

Also many many many writer camps explicitly teach building characters by profiling a known individual then altering the profile to get a new character profile.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost

Johnny Joestar posted:

i'm like halfway through the last book and it feels like sanderson kind of adjusts to the role better as he goes along. it's a bit weird in his first one for sure, but imo it smooths out.

He absolutely was incredibly rough in the beginning

Part of why I love Sanderson is seeing how he's continuously growing as an author

The down side of that is seeming him suck at the beginning

Mage_Boy
Dec 18, 2003

This hotdog is about as real as your story Steve Simmons

Johnny Joestar posted:

Part of me also wonders if by the third book he and Harriet were a little more lenient on using Jordan's exact notes. I figure a book narrated on your deathbed probably is off a bunch on it's own. (See the last 2 Pratchett novels.) By the third book they had been working together for a while so they became more comfortable with what each other wanted.

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

I kind of suspect the opposite. Jordan probably had left a lot more material for the very end than he did the earlier parts, so Sanderson had to create less. Given that the last three books were supposed to be one book, it was probably weakest in the in-between and strongest in The Last Battle itself.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

also i feel like by the time you've gotten to the third book you've probably gotten a better handle on writing in someone else's 'voice', more or less, which probably helps it work out. the tone was absolutely noticeable when starting out the moment sanderson took over but i genuinely haven't given it much thought by this point, now.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Gnoman posted:

I kind of suspect the opposite. Jordan probably had left a lot more material for the very end than he did the earlier parts, so Sanderson had to create less. Given that the last three books were supposed to be one book, it was probably weakest in the in-between and strongest in The Last Battle itself.

yeah it seems like, given the above deal where Jordan had really firm ideas about how things must end and some final scenes literally entirely written, Sanderson may've had more original
legwork to do when he'd just started, to get the characters to the places that they needed to be with the accomplishments they needed to have by then (which would be unfortunate when you're also trying to figure out someone else's style, or at least pay it homage)

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
Wrong thread

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

Bums me out all those side stories we could have got are all floating in the ether now. Would be cool to see a future book with his kids watching the Aiel fall.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

I'm ok with not seeing that, and there was just enough hope given that it might not happen.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

I'm ok with not seeing that, and there was just enough hope given that it might not happen.

Same

The outriggers featuring the adventures of Mat and Tuon as they reconquer Seanchan however will be sorely missed

Syncopated
Oct 21, 2010

DarkHorse posted:

Same

The outriggers featuring the adventures of Mat and Tuon as they reconquer Seanchan however will be sorely missed

That would have been so sick.

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug

Syncopated posted:

That would have been so sick.

the whole thing would have just irritated me because the whole time they would have insisted on having stupid new names

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
I recently reread Towers of Midnight, where Mat was forced to have a conversation in the Old Tongue again. While his syntax noticeably changed when Jordan wrote him speaking the Old Tongue, it was just normal Mat speech when Sanderson wrote that part. That was a missed opportunity :(

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

I still think that part where Rand thinks to himself about how he has the form of a human but isn't one anymore is really bizarre

Cavelcade
Dec 9, 2015

I'm actually a boy!

Torrannor posted:

I recently reread Towers of Midnight, where Mat was forced to have a conversation in the Old Tongue again. While his syntax noticeably changed when Jordan wrote him speaking the Old Tongue, it was just normal Mat speech when Sanderson wrote that part. That was a missed opportunity :(

It is such a shame because that scene with Birgitte with that reveal is so drat cool.

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

"Nothing a shitload of bleach won't fix"

Cavelcade posted:

It is such a shame because that scene with Birgitte with that reveal is so drat cool.

I'm really hoping they get to that scene in the show. If they do it right it could be amazing, especially if they change the phrasing Mat uses when the scene starts.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
I'm still reading the WoT liveblog, and I'm reminded of how memorable some of RJs chapter titles are. You have the bangers like The Grave Is No Bar to My Call, With the Choeadan Kal, The Road to the Spear/The Dedicated, A Visit from Verin Sedai, etc. And the liveblog pointed out that a chapter titled "A Plain Wooden Box" in a Rand PoV after LoC is simply not okay, and even though Semirhage failed to put him into such a box, he still lost a hand for that..

And skimming over the list of chapters, I can usually recall what they are about. Fire and Spirit - yes, you need both to heal stilling, excellent discovery, Nynaeve. The Law - the law of war gives the Amyrlin total control over the persecution of said war, good that Egwene tricked the Salidar sitters into declaring war on Elaida. Nine out of Ten - Elayne has nine houses behind her when she needs ten to become queen. And so on. It's one thing RJ was really good at, and I really appreciate it. Similar how Babylon 5 episode titles were way more memorable than Star Trek TNG episode titles for example.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE
Actually Harriet was responsible for naming chapters.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost
I wonder if she helped come up with sword forms too. They're all so evocative and do a great job conveying the kind of move is being done without bogging down the narrative with details

Boar Rushing Down the Mountain, The Courtier Taps His Fan, Sheathe the Sword...

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

The chapter pictures are good too. You know when the skull shows up poo poo is going down.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

The Last That Could be Done

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

The chapter pictures are good too. You know when the skull shows up poo poo is going down.

Having listened to the audiobooks for all the books, I wasn't aware this was even a thing until Lia's liveblog brought it up.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
Harriett deserves a lot more credit than she gets. She was also editor on Ender's Game (but not the later books in that series) and the overall quality of the Wheel of Time books basically tracks exactly with her degree of involvement in the editing.

Everyone thinks "oh, they got silly long and bad because his wife was his editor" but really she was most involved as editor in the earlier books and her health issues meant she couldn't be as involved from 6-10 or so.

Yeah I think those were also Harriett's idea.

There are a number of puzzles you can figure out early because of chapter icon clues (e.g., a forsaken icon in a chapter with no obvious forsaken, etc.)

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 18:20 on Sep 26, 2020

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

There are a number of puzzles you can figure out early because of chapter icon clues (e.g., a forsaken icon in a chapter with no obvious forsaken, etc.)

Yeah, Lanfear's chapter icon when there's no Lanfear in the chapter, or sometimes the Black Ajah icon with no (known) black sister to be seen.

sudo rm -rf
Aug 2, 2011

$ mv fullcommunism.sh
/america
$ cd /america
$ ./fullcommunism.sh

I mean other than wish fullfilment there’s really no purpose to doing it. It doesn’t serve the story in any way. They don’t overcome any obstacles because they all wanna be married to him. Min said it happens so of course it’s fine and there is no conflict in it.

I know Sanderson/Jordan never thought about it for a second but you’d think the girls would have to cope with being in love with a complete stranger at the end when he switches bodies

yeah in my headcannon he basically controls the pattern at will at this point so he can just body shift whenever he wants

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

I thought the con were mounted to their backs for some reason

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

I thought the con were mounted to their backs for some reason

That's a Cairhienin thing I think? Borderlanders use bannermen.

e:

but yeah, that's Agelmar's personal banner, then the black hawk of Shienar in the background.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Oct 28, 2020

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

:negative:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

Seeing that, I wonder how much they'll ape GoT aesthetics. That fantasy armor looks like it was sold as surplus from the GoT set.