Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Penpal posted:

I don't know man. Every single survival game I've tried is sort of impenetrable at the start. Even getting back into Minecraft recently I had to look some stuff up outside of the game and that's after hundreds if not thousands of hours almost a decade ago. The VR interface adds another layer to the onion for absolute certain, but I find the first couple of hours of Terraria, NMS, Subnautica, The Long Dark, Minecraft or factorio are always a drag

Yeah I think they are :) you're kinda making my point for me.

And I think I'm more willing to stomach that drag in 2D than VR. I have less patience in VR. Its the nature of the medium, standing and wearing an awkward face-mask and all that.

I tend to really value games like Beat Saber and Pistol Whip for their pick-up-put-down value, in that regard VR games are almost kinda like handheld games. Not that I don't love games like Alyx too. But since Alyx was built from the ground-up for VR, the beginning is less frustrating and more chill.

Its a retrofit so it is what it is. But just, ideally, I think VR would either spawn you with some basic tools, or otherwise don't spawn monsters until like the 3rd night or something, to give VR players an easier time. In 2D it'd be boring otherwise, but in VR you're super busy just looking at the trees and figuring out how to hit blocks, so suddenly night falls and you're not as prepared as you would be if you were a kid booting up minecraft on flatscreen for the 40th time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Turin Turambar posted:

Video comparison with Link. He got a preview dev version of the firmware from Oculus
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ENW6hwxIY0M

Q2 looking great here, but what’s with the massive bloom on the text in Elite Dangerous? The others are readable and crisp and the Q2’s looked like I was staring at a screen through glasses with vaseline. Really weird considering the Q2 is crisper and clearer on most other detail shots of other games.

E: Crisper except for the actual text test in which the LCD pixelation seems to help the Rift S over the Q2.

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 22:12 on Sep 24, 2020

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Martytoof posted:

Q2 looking great here, but what’s with the massive bloom on the text in Elite Dangerous? The others are readable and crisp and the Q2’s looked like I was staring at a screen through glasses with vaseline. Really weird considering the Q2 is crisper and clearer on most other detail shots of other games.

Its probably hard to exactly replicate the same image in Elite. If you look at the earlier radar example, the others have way more bloom than the Q2 picture. I'm guessing they just had their head in a sliiiightly different position which caused the text to have more bloom, which I think is just kinda how Elite is sometimes?

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Am I crazy for thinking youtube videos that try to show the difference between headsets seem worthless?

It's like those YT videos comparing 4K versions of games to the 1080p version, in an artifacted 720p video you are probably watching on a 1080p monitor.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I mean it’s probably compromised to some extent, but it probably does an okay job of showing how much or little screen door you can expect, etc.

I’m sure that YT’s compression isn’t going to make it a perfect comparison, but I also don’t think anyone is expecting this to be perfectly scientific and there are some valid takeaways.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

veni veni veni posted:

Am I crazy for thinking youtube videos that try to show the difference between headsets seem worthless?

It's like those YT videos comparing 4K versions of games to the 1080p version, in an artifacted 720p video you are probably watching on a 1080p monitor.

I think "flawed" would be a better way of putting it. There's definitely a lot of issues with trying to reproduce the same stuff in each headset and recording it through a camera.

That said, the image they're showing is a zoomed in view, so even at youtube compression you can still see the difference, because its cropped and exploded.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

yeah I guess the zoom in kind of gives a bit of useful info. I feel like the only way to actually get a really good idea it to slap a headset on yourself though.

Definitely on the fence, since I just bought my Rift S 2 months ago and who knows how much Quest 2 will tank the resale value. Resolution is really the only selling point for me though. it doesn't seem like it will be a big enough improvement to warrant the hassle. Now, if the announce official wireless PCVR support at some point and it works well, that'll be a different story.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Martytoof posted:

E: Crisper except for the actual text test in which the LCD pixelation seems to help the Rift S over the Q2.

I read the other day a comment from the Virtual Desktop dev, he said Link does weird things with the image output, like it retweak the gamma of the image, and in his opinion it makes things look a bit more washed out.
Watching the video I remembered, because it seems like Q2 has indeed more gamma.
edit: not exactly the message I read but it's mostly the same

Turin Turambar fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Sep 24, 2020

nah thanks
Jun 18, 2004

Take me out.
Solaris Offworld Combat is out today: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nz7BGzE-HXI

First impression is that it's a slick game marred by some really weird choices, like not tracking your left hand at all.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Is that the one by the Firewall guys? Firewall was great, but had the worst matchmaking I've ever seen in a multiplayer game.

nah thanks
Jun 18, 2004

Take me out.

veni veni veni posted:

Is that the one by the Firewall guys? Firewall was great, but had the worst matchmaking I've ever seen in a multiplayer game.

Yeah, same studio.

HarmB
Jun 19, 2006

lunar detritus posted:

I've only played NMS in VR and the UI is really bad, enough to make me bounce from it. I wonder if it works better in flat and it was just a bad conversion.
This is me. I waited until the first "refresh" when it was supposed to be a good game, and I played for a bit and bounced hard.

Zaphod42 posted:

Yes, which goes back to my complaint that NMS isn't fun to start in VR, you need to already have a save with many upgrades before you swap to VR. Which is bad design. So no, that's not the only issue.

Totally agree here. My question is though, is it worth playing flat to build up the poo poo and switch to VR?

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

veni veni veni posted:

he also really drove home that you cant look cool playing VR

Nuts and Gum posted:

Has there been a behind the scenes on this picture? How in the hell did anyone see this and think yes this is a good picture lmao

Unless TIME did it on purpose because they thought it was a dumbfuck fad and they wanted to belittle it? thats the only reasonable explanation.

I think this was mostly just a flex by Time, "hey look, we got the CEO of a successful up and coming company to take their socks and shoes off and jump around like a god damned fairy"

Also as a finger in the eye, gently caress you to digital media. Print media is basically dead because of people like Zuckerberg

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
Palmer Luckey is probably a nazi, and definitely a guy who runs a company currently constructing military murder-drones, but he also has Good Opinions on VR. I appreciated his open letter about the Rift S not having hardware IPD and how many people it was excluding. He also gave out free audio repair kits for the OG Rift, AFTER he was ousted by the company.

Not saying his crimes against humanity cancel out his VR thoughtfulness, but I can separate the two.

In other news, I got a survey from the same survey company who did an in-home playtest of the Quest 1 finger tracking with me. This time it was just an online survey about attitudes towards Facebook Privacy. It was like:

quote:

"1-5 Do you believe that Facebook would give your location to 3rd parties while using the Quest"

"1-5 How bad would it be if they did?"

At the end of the survey they said the survey was comprised of a mix of policies and myths about Facebook privacy.

Sounds like they're lubing you Quest 2 users up real slick, lol

edit:

Zero VGS fucked around with this message at 00:35 on Sep 25, 2020

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

my Reverb G2 shows as backordered but that might just be because no set in stone release date?

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

I said come in! posted:

my Reverb G2 shows as backordered but that might just be because no set in stone release date?

Just announced. November for early preorders December for current/recent.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
I started my very first game of nms tonight, got put on an ice planet so my screen was covered in this ice effect, I couldn't see poo poo.
I had to find some sort of thing to fix a thing I couldn't even see and then died because of the cold.
I had to alt f4 to quit, not sure I can be arsed with this.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Sigourney Cheevos posted:

Totally agree here. My question is though, is it worth playing flat to build up the poo poo and switch to VR?

it's kind of hard to say. It's some people's favorite game, some people think its boring as hell. It really boils down to how much exploring around proc gen planets and grinding resources for upgrades appeals to you. it's not particularly challenging and can feel repetitive, but there's cool stuff to look at and getting better stuff is fun. it has really nice art direction.

ROFLBOT
Apr 1, 2005
I started in pancake mode and got several hours into the game, quite enjoyed it. Then i got my Rift S but at that stage the NMS VR experience didnt really grab me - havent touched it since.

With this new update (and a G2 on the way) i might get back into it again.

Also tried Vivecraft last night, awesome! Makes up for Mojang/MS shafting me on the free Windows version (that supports VR)

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

EbolaIvory posted:

Just announced. November for early preorders December for current/recent.

Bummer! Ooh well I can wait. Excited. :D

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

Frigate Hetman Sahaidachny
First to Fight Scuttle, First to Fall Sink

Zaphod is right, I will give him that. I was more so arguing that NMS has value in it's VR implementation, and it is worth "toughing" through the first hour and a half, simply to experience everything you can do that you kind of can't anywhere else.

If you bounce it's cool, give it a try 2d and play while having a podcast on. If you're not a podcast person I would simply recommend just changing the in game sound settings to Music 100% and SFX 20%. The music is too rad to have it constantly drowned out by the hum of some FutureDumpster nearby

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao

Zero VGS posted:

Palmer Luckey is probably a nazi, and definitely a guy who runs a company currently constructing military murder-drones, but he also has Good Opinions on VR. I appreciated his open letter about the Rift S not having hardware IPD and how many people it was excluding. He also gave out free audio repair kits for the OG Rift, AFTER he was ousted by the company.

Not saying his crimes against humanity cancel out his VR thoughtfulness, but I can separate the two.

In other news, I got a survey from the same survey company who did an in-home playtest of the Quest 1 finger tracking with me. This time it was just an online survey about attitudes towards Facebook Privacy. It was like:

At the end of the survey they said the survey was comprised of a mix of policies and myths about Facebook privacy.

Sounds like they're lubing you Quest 2 users up real slick, lol

edit:

He offered to help fix the audio problem with CV1 and had mountains of praise heaped on him and even still it helps massage his image but afaik outside a few token people at the beginning of the fiasco not a single person received a thing and it's been memory holed

https://www.reddit.com/r/oculus/comments/eqjfj6/biggest_vr_scammer_of_the_past_year_ex_cofounder/

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Apparently the Reverb G2's had some tweaks since its preview iteration.

quote:

The company also says it’s made a few additional tweaks since first introducing the headset. For one, the lenses have been improved “to reduce the Fresnel ring reflections and improve clarity.” The menu button on the controllers has gotten a convex shape so that it’s easier to distinguish from the similarly sized ‘Windows’ button that’s on all WMR controllers. Included with the headset will be a full-size to mini DisplayPort adapter and a USB-C to USB-A adapter. Additionally the company says that after improving low persistence of the display, Reverb G2 will now require its power adapter to be plugged into a wall outlet.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

"Included with the headset will be a full-size to mini DisplayPort adapter and a USB-C to USB-A adapter." Yes, loving thank you. Originally this was not going to be a thing. HP is awesome for listening to early feedback.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
This is just spitballing, but I wonder, given they're "allowed" to mess with the controller design (which didn't seem to be the case with the old WMR hardware), if the Reverb G2's also discreetly prototyping for a new generation of WMR HDK in general. Not so much the Index-besting display and audio, but like controller design, tracking, etc.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

Neddy Seagoon posted:

This is just spitballing, but I wonder, given they're "allowed" to mess with the controller design (which didn't seem to be the case with the old WMR hardware), if the Reverb G2's also discreetly prototyping for a new generation of WMR HDK in general. Not so much the Index-besting display and audio, but like controller design, tracking, etc.

Samsung had their own controller design for the odyssey plus. The buttons/touchpad/stick were the same but the shape was different.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

GutBomb posted:

Samsung had their own controller design for the odyssey plus. The buttons/touchpad/stick were the same but the shape was different.

I actually didn't know that! Is there a good image somewhere comparing the controller designs? Now I'm curious and can't find one myself.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I actually didn't know that! Is there a good image somewhere comparing the controller designs? Now I'm curious and can't find one myself.
There isn't much to it but it's a slightly more comfortable shape. I don't really mind using mine, it's fine.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

This looks a nice golf game
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YoEC_A_FY9A

$15. Crossbuy on Oculus store. Coming Soon to Steam.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Another game.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_G_yk3YPmOc

In this case, I think I need someone to make me a table comparing Alvo, Onwards, Contractors, Pavlov, Zero Caliber, etc. I really don't know the differences between any of them.

it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

Re the elite strap for the Quest 2, is there a good reason to go with the one with built-in battery, as opposed to just velcroing a battery pack to the back of the strap?

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

No, it's just a slightly less DIY solution for slightly less pro-gamers/goony folks

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Turin Turambar posted:

Another game.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_G_yk3YPmOc

In this case, I think I need someone to make me a table comparing Alvo, Onwards, Contractors, Pavlov, Zero Caliber, etc. I really don't know the differences between any of them.

One thing I really liked about Firewall: Zero Hour on PSVR is that it actually had nice looking maps and art direction, that made it at least feel like it was emulating a AAA game. Like, I was playing in a real space instead of something cobbled together with building blocks. I'm sure all of these identical looking PC VR tactical shooters are fun, but goddamn they all look like such fugly, slapped together environments it's hard for me to actually get excited about playing any of them. Just watching videos of any of them is immersion breaking.

it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

Hadlock posted:

No, it's just a slightly less DIY solution for slightly less pro-gamers/goony folks

Ok, that's what I figured. Also means the pack can be swapped out if it dies. Seems to be the better option all round really.

iron buns
Jan 12, 2016

Someone on reddit posted this:

quote:

I did a UX test with the FB/Oculus team today and asked about the requirement for FB accounts when setting up the Quest 2. You will not be required to link an existing FB account to the Quest. If you don't link your existing account, you will have the option to create a firewalled FB account for the sole purpose of using it on the Quest. They said they are doing this to unify their user management systems which makes sense. Managing one moderation and community team is easier than managing 2.

I learned some other positive things, but can't share that yet unfortunately due to the NDA I signed.

Obviously unconfirmed, but kinda plausible. Then again, you'd think FB would have told the early reviewers and press if that was the case. Or just migrate the accounts automatically.

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006

Zero VGS posted:

Really? What's that like? Because I can't.

If anything, it makes the VR thoughtfulness worse. In that he doesn't give a poo poo about things that actually matter in life, but he's got some really sound opinions about cutting edge immersive video game toys for the 1%. It's a complete travesty that his priorities are what they are.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

iron buns posted:

Someone on reddit posted this:

Obviously unconfirmed, but kinda plausible. Then again, you'd think FB would have told the early reviewers and press if that was the case. Or just migrate the accounts automatically.

Lol, there's no such thing as a "firewalled" facebook account, it's just a Facebook account you didn't log into anywhere else.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Possible PSVR2 controller
https://uploadvr.com/new-psvr-controllers-patent-index/

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

Well my lenses from VR Optician finally came in.

Holy poo poo is it nice to just play and not have to constantly shift things around because my glasses got nudged slightly out of place.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

alphabettitouretti posted:

Re the elite strap for the Quest 2, is there a good reason to go with the one with built-in battery, as opposed to just velcroing a battery pack to the back of the strap?

Depending on where you velcro it may make tightening the strap annoying by blocking the ratchet ring, unless you want to velcro to the bit that hugs your skull at the base which seems uncomfortable. You could also velcro to one side but I bet that would feel lopsided. Battery one also comes with a carrying case I guess?

I’m still holding out for a decent 3D printable DAS adapter, and failing that going with the upgrade non-battery strap, personally.