Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
Mos Eisley is supposed to look like a cluster gently caress of light tan.

Seriously though, it looks nice. Maybe a couple of tan base plates?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Thanks. Yeah I was thinking about that. or just doing something to cover the bare shelf with lighter tan. I have foam board for the snow on Hoth.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Print a desert matte painting background to go from wood shelf to bitchin diorama

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

veni veni veni posted:

Thanks. Yeah I was thinking about that. or just doing something to cover the bare shelf with lighter tan. I have foam board for the snow on Hoth.

Amazon sells 12x24 acrylic sheets in various colors and textures and they’re fairly easy to score and trim to fit. I use those under my dioramas.

Also, yeah, print a big matte painting for the background. Looks great already though.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

veni veni veni posted:

Comboed the cantina with some other sets to make it look more like a city. Not sure if I like it or if it just looks like a clusterfuck yet. Might pull some of it out to give it some room to breath. Also, have 6 Bith musicians now but couldn't really find a way to display them together so most of them went into the cantina with the rest of the doubles.

Very cool! That’s exactly what I’d think Mos Eisley should look like, down to the crowded streets.

I wonder if you might get a cool effect by printing background for the rear, and putting mirrors on the left and right sides so it looks like it just continues on in a maze of buildings. Could even put one way glass over the mirror, like an infinity mirror.

e: I really want one of them dewback figs now

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

bird with big dick posted:

I'm making the Volvo 6x6 and after the 1st set of bags I have an extra red gear am I in trouble

Yeah I was in trouble, the dump bed doesn't go up and down. Rest of it works okay though.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

OSU_Matthew posted:

Very cool! That’s exactly what I’d think Mos Eisley should look like, down to the crowded streets.

I wonder if you might get a cool effect by printing background for the rear, and putting mirrors on the left and right sides so it looks like it just continues on in a maze of buildings. Could even put one way glass over the mirror, like an infinity mirror.

e: I really want one of them dewback figs now

I’ve been thinking about some sort of background for a while, just haven’t done it yet. Hadn’t thought of the mirrors though. That’s actually a pretty slick idea.

I’d honestly love a better shelf system in general, something brighter and mirrored, but I’m sort of saddled with this one since my landlord asked if I could keep it here and I agreed. At least it works pretty well for LEGO but it’s very 90s looking, and sort of limiting, and very dark.

Might try “Big Mean Jerks” acrylic sheet idea. They might even sell mirrored ones.

veni veni veni fucked around with this message at 00:39 on Sep 23, 2020

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Dogen posted:

But are your names Zack?

yeah

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
I need to start a roofing company on Tatooine, it’s an untapped market!

Looks cool though, wish I could do the same but I don’t know where the hell I’m going to put the big cantina, it won’t fit where the small one is now.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
This arm is wild

https://twitter.com/uran120/status/1308678636732428288

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Good email, guys.

tomapot
Apr 7, 2005
Suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.
Oven Wrangler

The_Doctor posted:

Good email, guys.

Hey, we have the same names.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
Ha! No Christmas set ad for you dudes.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

The_Doctor posted:

Good email, guys.

Got one of those too and wanted to complain that I just spent 10k points a month or so ago. How is it that my remaining points don't have a longer lifespan?

I guess it's just a glitch?

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Halloween hayride and a bucket of Classic bricks arrived today! My daughter is ecstatic and I'm losing my mind at some of these alien, futuristic shapes and colors

I feel like I stepped out of a bunker and everything is like Back to the Future 2

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

She had so much fun putting this together, and I had no idea how well she'd be able to follow instructions at 3 years old... but there were times she gathered the pieces and put them together just like the picture without any prompting from me, it was fantastic

Brawnfire fucked around with this message at 18:43 on Sep 23, 2020

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Now make the rest of the body.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

Brawnfire posted:

She had so much fun putting this together, and I had no idea how well she'd be able to follow instructions at 3 years old... but there were times she gathered the pieces and put them together just like the picture without any prompting from me, it was fantastic

Quit making me want this incredibly cute thing.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Also this is my first set with a two-face head, smiling on one side and screaming on the other. Very cute!

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Brawnfire posted:

Also this is my first set with a two-face head, smiling on one side and screaming on the other. Very cute!

Anias
Jun 3, 2010

It really is a lovely hat

Brawnfire posted:

Young kids can build adult lego with supervision, just make sure you don’t let them eat it. My kiddo built the bulk of the Saturn V at 4 y/o. (I helped on the top which is fiddly). She’s looking into the robotics sets now. Shaking fist at the current mind storms debacle.

Enjoy! The hayride looks great.

E:autocorrect is the worst.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
Built quite a bit of LEGO with my 4 year old over the pandemic. Symmetrical / repetitive stuff like the ISS is great because you can build one bit to show them how it's done.

Attention span is the main limiting factor I've found. Can get her to focus for 100-200 pieces or so before she starts to wander and I end up doing more of it.

Anias posted:

Shaking fist at the current mind storms debacle.
What's happened?

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

deoju posted:

I'll take it if nobody else wants it. You already sent something to me, I don't want to take advantage of your generosity.

tomapot posted:

I’ll take it, I’m working on a few Mocs and could use some spare parts.

Literally A Person posted:

I would totally take it if you'd give it!! :)

Since I'm a total shitstain and completely forgot I offered these pieces up I apologize for not replying to you guys; I saw the container and was like "Uhh... didn't I try to get rid of this?"

I was going to just send it off to the first person that replied but since deoju wants to pay it forward (deoju still has first dibs if they still want it) it's up to tomapot if they want it and if not, I'll send it to Literally A Person. Sorry again for the delay!

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
I'll pass on it. You're a cool person though.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Anyone want to sell their Town Hall?

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

Waltzing Along posted:

Anyone want to sell their Town Hall?

I know someone who potentially does. You're in Australia yes?

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Lizard Combatant posted:

I know someone who potentially does. You're in Australia yes?

Nope. California.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

Waltzing Along posted:

Nope. California.

Apologies, I thought I had you down as an ausgoon.

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

Heed my words and become a master of the Heart (of Thorns).

Anias posted:

Shaking fist at the current mind storms debacle.

?

Anias
Jun 3, 2010

It really is a lovely hat

Sometime in the fall a new mindstorm home set is coming out with the same intellibrick layout found inside the spike prime kits, but colored differently. Spike prime is not a clear upgrade from ev3, and requests for additional information are being ignored. Meanwhile lego is being coy about what the next mindstorm education core set is going to look like.

Essentially what is known at the moment can be summarized thus: spike prime has 6 ports for motors/sensors, but each port is identical and can work for every device. It has built in gyro/speaker and some leds instead of a display. Ev3 has 4 motor, 4 sensor ports, built in lcd, Longer/customizable wiring, and a more robust community of software. Spike prime boots faster but it doesn’t seem to be noticeably more capable on the processing side, the boot loader is just better.

The robotics leagues for school are of course splitting the difference.

If spike was unambiguously better, this wouldn’t be as irritating.

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Did anyone else get the email for the Lego sneakers today?

e:

https://feature.com/products/adidas-originals-x-lego-zx-8000-yellow-brown

you have to enter the drawing for a chance to buy them, and they are still $130

Plinkey fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Sep 24, 2020

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
They look ugly as hell

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Those are type of thing You'll be able to sell to sneaker nerds for $2000 though.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.
Not really, they’re not limited enough.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Interesting article about Lego customer service and missing parts:
https://www.newelementary.com/2020/09/missing-faulty-lego-consumer-perceived-quality.html?m=1

Prophet of Nixon
May 7, 2007

Thou art not a crook!

So when I was a kid I had a lot of Lego, a mixture of city and classic space, one or two small forest-people themed sets, and some Technic from the early 90s. The last Lego set I remember getting was a yellow submarine. None of this was especially well cared for - pieces got lost and broken, and everything was stored together in one big bin. At some point maybe 20 years ago 50% or more of this bin was randomly separated and sent to my older brother for his children (including apparently all of the intact minifigures). Last week I dug out what was left of the bin at my Mom's house, and started digging through it, hoping to find a full set of parts for... anything.

No luck.

Lots and lots of great parts though. While I was looking for set of wheels I started sticking wheels to bricks alternating-like, and ended up with a stick with a lot of wheels. Before I knew what I was doing, the stick had a cockpit, and then I took some of it apart to make all the bricks red.

Then this happened:

I think I spent at least 4 hours making sure I got every wheel out of that bin.

Cockpits from Futuron:

Weapons and flight functions courtesy of Blacktron:

Power systems and engineering from M-Tron:

These were the only 4 minifigures I could cobble together from parts:

The M-Tron Veteran lost his hands, feet, and scalp in a vicious battle with a space-dog but is still the best pilot in the sector.
Star Peasant keeps the engines running.
That French Guy handles main weapon systems, and Future Diver mans the 360 degree railgun turret.

Here's one last shot of science gone too far:

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

It’s delightfully gratuitous.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

veni veni veni posted:

It’s delightfully gratuitous.

This is exactly the words. I love it.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

The more wheels = more betterer design school.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
The long lost, unreleased, time cruisers set.