Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

neither the book or the tv series are set in america

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

gradenko_2000 posted:

A movie about everything white America does to black people, except reversed, would be just as a ridiculous pile of projection in 2001 as it would be tomorrow.

Or unless you think the state of racial relations in America has only very recently gotten particularly bad?
There was a lull In racism when Obama was president, but now it's back.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

josh04 posted:

neither the book or the tv series are set in america

Yes, because a book that's about what happens to white people if they're the ones who are colonized instead would not be set in America if the metaphor were to hold. That doesn't mean it's not a commentary on that, because it even says right in the trailer that the colonization would in reverse, so obviously the geographic progression would also be in reverse.

I'm starting to think I understand the premise of this story better than you do.

Syncopation
Feb 21, 2020

Syncopation has issued a correction as of 21:28 on Mar 22, 2023

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

gradenko_2000 posted:

Yes, because a book that's about what happens to white people if they're the ones who are colonized instead would not be set in America if the metaphor were to hold. That doesn't mean it's not a commentary on that, because it even says right in the trailer that the colonization would in reverse, so obviously the geographic progression would also be in reverse.

I'm starting to think I understand the premise of this story better than you do.

you definitely understand the book you're imagining in your head, sure? a black british author wrote a kids book set in london about racial discrimination and i'm the idiot for saying maybe the most relevant reference point isn't the race war politics of american neonazis.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Man in the High Castle (the book) was good and did a good job with "what if America was a colonial dominion"

Zvahl
Oct 14, 2005

научный кот
well yes because pkd is as close to a gift from the heavens as many of us are likely to see and the big brains at amazon couldn't write their way out of a wet paper bag with a pen

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Zvahl posted:

well yes because pkd is as close to a gift from the heavens as many of us are likely to see and the big brains at amazon couldn't write their way out of a wet paper bag with a pen

i'm still incredibly mad at just watching the first three episodes and giving up; it wasn't even very bad but it completely missed the point of the novel. i'm even kinda starting to be okay with the novel just ending out of nowhere

Zvahl
Oct 14, 2005

научный кот

StashAugustine posted:

i'm still incredibly mad at just watching the first three episodes and giving up; it wasn't even very bad but it completely missed the point of the novel. i'm even kinda starting to be okay with the novel just ending out of nowhere

I missed the point of a lot of pkds stuff especially in the text when i was younger and really liked a lot of the adaptations, i still have a soft spot for Scanner Darkly just because of that loving cast, but man in the high castle was what shook me of caring about his adaptations, it really is an ur example of missing the point as completely as possible and absolutely lol at 4 loving seasons about the subject matter from the most bloated corporation in human history

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

scanner darkly is a decent adaptation, i just have an irrational grudge because they cut most of donna's monologue about the guy who saw God while tripping culminating in her shooting up the coke truck; which i totally get should be cut for time but it's one of my favorite passages

Zvahl
Oct 14, 2005

научный кот
it was the biggest loss too because ryder had some really good deliveries in that and donna got the biggest cut to her dialogue, keanu was good as he generally is but arctor isn't there to be terribly thoughtful or coherent

i haven't read the book in years but i really should again soon, I forget if she was involved in my favorite story in that which was where If I'd known it was harmless, I'd have killed it myself came from which the movie also hosed up

still one of the prettiest movies i've seen, it makes most of the cgi garbage from the past 14 years look pathetic, like how wind waker and killer7 still look good

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Judge Dredd Scott posted:

only book to do that right is years of rice and salt, where the only white people left are in the north hebrides and entirely irrelevant to muslim colonized europe

also honestly its the only alt history to not leave a bad taste in my mouth

The WWI sequence was goddamn insane.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
I watched Dragged Across Concrete

It was pretty good

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Just a funny av. Not a redtext or an own ok.
watched Southland Tales

I liked it when the policeman said "Flow my tears"

Zvahl
Oct 14, 2005

научный кот
Scientists are saying the future is going to be far more futuristic than they originally predicted.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
Southland Tales is more fun to remember much later than to actually watch.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

Judge Dredd Scott posted:

only book to do that right is years of rice and salt, where the only white people left are in the north hebrides and entirely irrelevant to muslim colonized europe

also honestly its the only alt history to not leave a bad taste in my mouth

i feel like most alt history writers skew way to the right, kim stanley robinson being a huge exception, old school lefty that he is.

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Just a funny av. Not a redtext or an own ok.

General Dog posted:

Yea, it has its moments, but is not actually very good

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

https://twitter.com/Variety/status/1309289012289560577?s=20

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://twitter.com/the_moviebob/status/1308866590058991616

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.

General Dog posted:

Southland Tales is great to watch when you get way too drunk and stay up way too late, & you slip into Drunkards Luminous Mind state, at which point you and it are vibrating on the same dopey frequency.

Clip-On Fedora
Feb 20, 2011

https://twitter.com/the_moviebob/status/1309226029672796160

He made a little video about it too!

Bootleg Trunks
Jun 12, 2020

I havent had heroes since Suda51 killed them all in No More Heroes

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

the one good part of 2020 is the absence of Marvel movies and the rehabilitation of Zack Snyder
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u77M-oANRtQ

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
who must go?

https://twitter.com/jessehawken/status/1308827809415155712

Bootleg Trunks
Jun 12, 2020

Atrocious Joe posted:

the one good part of 2020 is the absence of Marvel movies and the rehabilitation of Zack Snyder

2020 redeemed

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
Is that moviebob video a fun hatewatch at least?

I'm still a MCU agnostic, but I could use a good laugh. But unsure if it's worth improving Bob's metrics by one view.

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib

sometimes I wonder if sorkin is one of the leading causes of Liberal Brain, or merely a victim and symptom

either way, I hate it

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

i can see this election going a billion different ways but not that one

Grevling
Dec 18, 2016

What he says but it's a tender moment, the enablers all have tears in their eyes.

It's a montage set to "Across the Universe", we see Trump's handlers tearfully asking him to come out and concede defeat, mouthing "it's time to go". Cut to Biden and the dems celebrating and ending on a slow zoom on Trump's face in a dimly lit room.

Grevling has issued a correction as of 05:00 on Sep 25, 2020

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

I think it's going to be like chars counterattack

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5VF_9d0ar3I

Malkina_
May 13, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

Atrocious Joe posted:

oh god this pile of poo poo is going to get good reviews because of the pandemic isn’t it

gently caress marvel too

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Zvahl posted:

PKD's prose is incredibly mediocre.

Clip-On Fedora
Feb 20, 2011

Echo Chamber posted:

Is that moviebob video a fun hatewatch at least?

I'm still a MCU agnostic, but I could use a good laugh. But unsure if it's worth improving Bob's metrics by one view.

Eh, I have a high tolerance for this sort of thing, but he said you shouldn't be happy that superhero movies are gone because it deprives working class people in Hollywood jobs, which is a massive oversimplification but whatever.

Then about halfway through he implies that if you don't like Marvel Superhero Movies or Disney or corporate culture, then you are an antisemite.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 217 days!
i think a lot these days about how america got west wing and britain got the thick of it

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
I can never get into alt history books because they always have the same people being born and ending up in the same positions as real life hundreds of years after the event that changed the timeline. Like the entirety of Eurasia is blown up by a meteor in 1650? Abraham Lincoln still frees the slaves.

Grevling
Dec 18, 2016

I've been thinking about smarm lately. The British have Christopher Hitchens tier "wit", while Americans have the self-righteous kind in West Wing.

I associate British politics with schoolboy giggles in the House of Commons and American politics with emotive speeches.
"How dare you, sir!"

Grevling has issued a correction as of 09:31 on Sep 25, 2020

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 217 days!
the thick of it was pretty brutally honest about what was driving the blairites iirc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Pollo Blanco
Jun 12, 2013

by sebmojo
The thick of it just continues the libertarian contempt of politicians and civil servants from yes minister

Though I guess yes minister shat on unions and the thick of it just ignores left wing stuff because its focus is on blarites, Tories and Nick Clegg