Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Comstar posted:

Budget: $4000-4800
Purpose: Gaming laptop and video editing
15" screen (will have an attached monitor)

I'm looking for a 15" gaming laptop that can do video editing. From what I know (and please correct me if I'm wrong!) I'd want 32GB of RAM, 1TB SSD and a i7 processor. Is that right? For $4500 ish I can look at the Alienware m15 of this world, but are my requirements right?

I can’t 100 percent speak to Australian prices, but typically it’s cheaper to buy something that has less RAM and a platter drive to supplement a small boot drive and just upgrade those yourself. If you get a laptop with 32 GB of RAM and a 1TB SATA drive in there you’ll get charged a gigantic markup for parts that are easy to change yourself. Like, 2-3x markup.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

What's the go-to recommendation for a relatively lightweight business laptop atm? My 5 year old Lenovo is really showing its age now.

Mostly word processing and standard surfing, maybe the odd photo editing or video editing but those will be rarer. Haven't decided on budget yet, just surveying the field, since the laptop still works (only slowwwww)

oliveoil
Apr 22, 2016
I'm gonna be living in different hotel rooms for weeks at a time for the next year.

I want a laptop that will be able to run CS:GO, The Witcher 3 (never got around to playing it), and if I can make a wish, Cyberpunk when it comes out.

I don't mind if it's not great for carrying it everywhere because I won't be carrying it everywhere. I'll be carrying it once or twice a month to a new place.

Should I just buy the most expensive lenovo I can find or is there a better option?

CFox
Nov 9, 2005
Asus G14 is portable and powerful.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

oliveoil posted:

I'm gonna be living in different hotel rooms for weeks at a time for the next year.

I want a laptop that will be able to run CS:GO, The Witcher 3 (never got around to playing it), and if I can make a wish, Cyberpunk when it comes out.

I don't mind if it's not great for carrying it everywhere because I won't be carrying it everywhere. I'll be carrying it once or twice a month to a new place.

Should I just buy the most expensive lenovo I can find or is there a better option?

The Lenovo Legion is supposed to be really good, but I’ve been looking at some hefty desktop replacement ones like the Alienware Area 51 or Falcon Northwest DRX for the exact same situation. They’ve got full-power desktop parts so they’re more expensive (especially the falcon northwest, Jesus) and they’re heavy but when you’re just taking it from hotel to hotel that’s not as big of a problem.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

CFox posted:

Seconding this, but otherwise the Lenovo Legion 7i with Gsync is another good (but more expensive) option.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

CFox posted:

Yeah had my G14 for a few months and so far a good experience.

But it does have some strange design decisions like no built-in webcam which might be a deal breaker for many people.

It's also hit my budget perfect since I didn't have $1500 to spend and was able to find a open box special for $1300 at best buy.

No other company has produced anything like it this year getting a 3.5 lb laptop than can play the latest games and also delivers really impressive
CPU performance if you use things like media encoding applications (cinebench).

Imagine the CPU helps since for most online games I enjoy playing like Insurgency I'm one the first players to load into a new map change.

:vince: the face you will make getting a compact laptop that's actually much faster than larger more expensive 15" Intel laptops from last year.

etalian fucked around with this message at 00:22 on Sep 25, 2020

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Comstar posted:

Budget: $4000-4800
Purpose: Gaming laptop and video editing
15" screen (will have an attached monitor)

I'm looking for a 15" gaming laptop that can do video editing. From what I know (and please correct me if I'm wrong!) I'd want 32GB of RAM, 1TB SSD and a i7 processor. Is that right? For $4500 ish I can look at the Alienware m15 of this world, but are my requirements right?

I think PowerBook G4 was capable of editing 1080p video way back in 2002. Are you rendering a 3D space Gundam movie from scratch in Blender, or cutting down your raw twitch feed from last night to make a super cut of all your sick 360 no scopes? If it's the latter nearly any toaster with an nvme drive ought to be fine, unless I'm totally mistaken

What games do you want to play and at what resolution? Most any 20-series GPU will play whatever at 60fps. Be careful you're not just manufacturing a reason to spend more money than you have to, to get some ridiculous gaming laptop when an X1 extreme would probably fit the bill. Knowing what display you're attaching and what features you plan on exploiting is important too.

Edit: looks like $4800 aud is about $3300 usd

At that point I would just build a dedicated workstation, and with the money left over go buy an X1 extreme, and maybe a thunderbolt 3 external disk to swap between them? And then go take your mom out for a nice dinner for her birthday with the money left over

Hadlock fucked around with this message at 02:32 on Sep 25, 2020

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum
I'm looking for something that will be the primary dev machine for work. .NET software development so probably visual studio and tooling and such, gpu just needs to run the screen. Laptop instead of desktop since will be switching locations and alternativing between office and WFH. It has to be at least "i7, 16GB Ram", this is a hard requirement in order to be covered by the BYOD subsidy, I don't want to overcomplicate it and potentially have to fight for the subsidy so just going to avoid amd equivilent even if the performance is on par/better.

I would also very much like it to be as "linux friendly" as possible since if I leave I don't want to be stuck with a windows laptop. Dell XPS and Thinkpad X1 Carbon keep popping up on google searches, what's the thread recommendations? I like the thinkpad ~aesthetic~ but there are a million different models and variations. Also noticed they are soldering their ram in now? When did that start and also what the heck?

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side
Help, my ThinkPad won't turn on

It's been working normally up to now, though it is now pretty old. When I open it the power button, F1, F4 and Fn all blink but nothing happens on the screen.

I've tried removing the battery and cable, holding the power button for 30 seconds then trying to boot it again. Hasn't worked. A few times I have managed to get the screen display the lenovo logo and it says please wait, then it goes black.

Worryingly, a couple of times it showed that logo there were red and blue pixels all over the screen.

Is it dead :negative:

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

What model is it, what were you doing before it died

Maybe try taking the battery out and leaving it unplugged for an hour, then plug it back in with the battery in

Any error message at all on the screen

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Xik posted:

I'm looking for something that will be the primary dev machine for work. .NET software development so probably visual studio and tooling and such, gpu just needs to run the screen. Laptop instead of desktop since will be switching locations and alternativing between office and WFH. It has to be at least "i7, 16GB Ram", this is a hard requirement in order to be covered by the BYOD subsidy, I don't want to overcomplicate it and potentially have to fight for the subsidy so just going to avoid amd equivilent even if the performance is on par/better.

I would also very much like it to be as "linux friendly" as possible since if I leave I don't want to be stuck with a windows laptop. Dell XPS and Thinkpad X1 Carbon keep popping up on google searches, what's the thread recommendations? I like the thinkpad ~aesthetic~ but there are a million different models and variations. Also noticed they are soldering their ram in now? When did that start and also what the heck?

X1 carbon and XPS 15 are good choices. Both have very good keyboards, but the Thinkpad keyboard is miles better than the XPS. The Thinkpad also has more of a pro vibe than the consumer XPS. Both have platinum level Linux support. The Thinkpad is going to have less weird bios issues.

There's a good chance the XPS has slightly better thermals, and it has better true color reproduction displays available

As someone who owns an XPS 15 and at least one modern Thinkpad, I'd go with the Thinkpad

AzureSkys
Apr 27, 2003

I decided on a HP Omen 17 with the RTX 2070. It was $1400 at Costco with a 90 day return window and 2 year warranty with my membership. I was worried about the refresh rate since it's not listed anywhere, but thankfully it is 144hz. I've only done a couple benchmarks, but it's nice so far. The GPU stays around 60° but the CPU hits upper 70s, so I don't know if I should fiddle with that to bring it down if I do extended gaming.

Thirst Mutilator
Dec 13, 2008

Hadlock posted:

X1 carbon and XPS 15 are good choices. Both have very good keyboards, but the Thinkpad keyboard is miles better than the XPS. The Thinkpad also has more of a pro vibe than the consumer XPS. Both have platinum level Linux support. The Thinkpad is going to have less weird bios issues.

There's a good chance the XPS has slightly better thermals, and it has better true color reproduction displays available

As someone who owns an XPS 15 and at least one modern Thinkpad, I'd go with the Thinkpad

Caveat: You still will deal with some Linux fuckery on an X1 Carbon (tweaking BIOS settings, trying to get deep sleep to work properly), whereas XPS 13's at least can come with Ubuntu installed and working out of the box. It's an upfront and ultimately negligible cost, but something that might matter to you.

That said, I bought a 7th Generation Carbon and don't regret it. RAM soldering is pretty normal for "ultrabooks," which both the XPS 13 and X1 Carbon are. Lenovo has sales every once in a while that'll make the X1's price more palatable, and a refurbished shop that's also pretty decent.

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side

Hadlock posted:

What model is it, what were you doing before it died

Maybe try taking the battery out and leaving it unplugged for an hour, then plug it back in with the battery in

Any error message at all on the screen

X250. I was just browsing the internet, closed the lid and went out for half an hour. When I came back it was like this. The fan has been making some not good noises for a bit but it was still running normally. No error message

I've taken out the battery and left it unplugged, at work now so hopefully it might start working when I get back

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Paperhouse posted:

X250. I was just browsing the internet, closed the lid and went out for half an hour. When I came back it was like this. The fan has been making some not good noises for a bit but it was still running normally. No error message

I've taken out the battery and left it unplugged, at work now so hopefully it might start working when I get back

You might try blowing out the air holes with some compressed air and see if that helps any as well

Best of luck, report back

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Paperhouse posted:

Help, my ThinkPad won't turn on

It's been working normally up to now, though it is now pretty old. When I open it the power button, F1, F4 and Fn all blink but nothing happens on the screen.

I've tried removing the battery and cable, holding the power button for 30 seconds then trying to boot it again. Hasn't worked. A few times I have managed to get the screen display the lenovo logo and it says please wait, then it goes black.

Worryingly, a couple of times it showed that logo there were red and blue pixels all over the screen.

Is it dead :negative:

Worth a shot:

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side
I did try the reset hole on the bottom, didn't seem to do anything though I'm not sure I did it right.

Anyway, came back from work and tried it and the laptop booted and went into a diagnostic mode I've never seen before. There was an option to "repair PC" or something like that, which I clicked and it said it didn't work. However, it then just gave me the option to boot Windows as normal and that did work :confused:

Working again, hopefully just a weird error that never happens again. Still gonna back some stuff up right now though because gently caress

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Sounds to me like when you closed the lid, it went into sleep/hibernate mode while updates were in progress.

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE

TITTIEKISSER69 posted:

Sounds to me like when you closed the lid, it went into sleep/hibernate mode while updates were in progress.

I feel like Paperhouse's story would be a lot more common if Windows wasn't smart enough about updates not to almost brick itself if you close your laptop lid at the wrong time. As far as they told it, they weren't on the "Updating Windows, don't shut down your machine"-screen or anything like that.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
It definitely sounds like a display or possibly motherboard/iGPU issue, not a windows issue considering the issues happen before Windows even boots up.

Back up your poo poo, flatten and reinstall windows, if it happens again you know it’s hardware not software.

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side
I don't think it was an update issue because I haven't had the space to update Windows for like 3 years lol

When I googled it there seemed to be quite a few people with the specific thing I had which was F1, F4 and Fn blinking along with the power button. I never found anything saying why that might happen, but it seems that it's an issue some people have had that doesn't necessarily occur again and is usually fixable. Hope that's the case for me too.

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side
In any case this X250 is now about 6 years old. I love it and it still works great, but I do feel like I could and maybe should upgrade. I have had to replace the CPU on this once and it is making some noises again, plus it doesn't have quite the power I'd like for DAW stuff and gaming.

What are the go to choices these days for reliable laptops with good hardware? I imagine the newer Thinkpads are still good, but what else should I look at? Budget is pretty open but would prefer to keep it under $700

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Paperhouse posted:

I don't think it was an update issue because I haven't had the space to update Windows for like 3 years lol

This is extremely dumb. Update your computer every month unless you like rawdogging the internet hoping you won’t catch poo poo.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Paperhouse posted:

What are the go to choices these days for reliable laptops with good hardware? I imagine the newer Thinkpads are still good, but what else should I look at? Budget is pretty open but would prefer to keep it under $700

Well the Thinkpad Carbon X1 ultrabook has already had a few generations so I'm sure there's a refurb out there in that price range.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Yeah I would look at another Thinkpad, probably a refurb. If you need to stay under $700, you might consider just throwing a bigger hard drive and some more RAM in your current laptop, and reinstall windows. Your current laptop with 8gb more memory, an SSD and a fresh clean install of windows would probably set you back $200 and seem just as fast as a brand new laptop with a 2018 cpu in a 2020 chassis, which is what you would end up with for $700.

Rythe
Jan 21, 2011

I have been working on teaching myself 3d design on Fusion 360 and my current laptop just simply bogs down during rendering and when I'm doing basic to intermediate tasks in Fusion. I'm looking for recommendations on a laptop that won't have any issues running Fusion 360 and rendering 3d stuff along with being able to run typical games and random stuff. I have a $1-1.2K budget for this. I know I could build a nice desktop but I need to be mobile and I just prefer laptops but I am open to suggestions.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Rythe posted:

I have been working on teaching myself 3d design on Fusion 360 and my current laptop just simply bogs down

What is your current laptop specs, and how much additional head room are you looking for

My initial gut reaction is to recommend a Thinkpad P series but I think for that to be effective as a real CAD workstation you need to shell out $1500 to get something with a real GPU and CPU power to render a turbine jet engine

But you might just have a lovely i3 laptop from 2012, and a regular consumer i5 with 8gb of memory for $600 would be a fine upgrade for modeling kitchen chairs

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived
I decided to try and see if I can sub a windows laptop out for a laptop shell and my phone as a daily driver. I have a 15 inch SB2 that is out of extended coverage this year so I figured I'd be less squeamish about lugging around a 14 inch 300 dollar shell then the very much non-repairable thing that cost me 3 grand. I update my phone on a trade-in yearly and I kinda like the idea that you upgrade that instead of the laptop itself..my phone has a baked-in desktop launcher over usb c but if they ever abandon that whole deal, there's stuff like windows compute sticks, chromebit, a pi, etc etc. Basically, pick your poison OS/device wise as long as it has usbc/hdmi output. I think for all the things I don't need an i7/1060 and windows to accomplish, which is a pretty small list, android has covered more or less by now.

Should be an interesting experiment. Also finally gives me an excuse to use usb c out on my desktops 2080 for the first time, though that's a pretty niche use case right there.

no fans/heat, no information stored on the device in case of loss or theft are also both attractive

zer0spunk fucked around with this message at 01:25 on Sep 27, 2020

Rythe
Jan 21, 2011

My laptop is 6-7 years old with the current specs.

Quad core i7 4700HQ @ 2.4 Ghz
8 gb ram
Intel(R) HD Graphics 4600
NVIDIA GeForce GT 750M
Windows 10 64 BIT

I am not doing anything to crazy, taking stl files and converting them to a solid item and then working to smooth and merge all the surfaces into one smooth item. My computer bogs down like mad during the merging process. I am mainly learning for cos-play, 3D printing things for my boat and just wanting to learn a new skill. The laptop slowing down and freezing makes the process unbearable.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Rythe posted:

8 gb ram
NVIDIA GeForce GT 750M
Windows 10 64 BIT

I am not doing anything to crazy, taking stl files and converting them to a solid item and then working to smooth and merge all the surfaces into one smooth item. My computer bogs down like mad during the merging process. I am mainly learning for cos-play, 3D printing things for my boat and just wanting to learn a new skill. The laptop slowing down and freezing makes the process unbearable.

Can you take a screen shot of task manager when it starts to slow down? The tab that shows memory/cpu usage

Peanut!
May 12, 2019
Anybody have experience/strong opinions on the Surface Go 2? I'm in the market for a secondary portable computer for productivity and web browsing, and I already have a PC for gaming

Rythe
Jan 21, 2011

Bob Morales posted:

Can you take a screen shot of task manager when it starts to slow down? The tab that shows memory/cpu usage

I'll try to do some work tomorrow and see if I can tag that. If memory serves me right fusion is showing as the memory hog, the program freezes and eventually does what I asked but it could be a good 5-10 mins before anything happens. I make sure I have nothing running in the background too.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Rythe posted:

8 gb ram
NVIDIA GeForce GT 750M
Windows 10 64 BIT

If you're working on meshes (which I'm guessing you are since you're starting with STLs) there's a lot of really inefficient stuff in Fusion 360 for those. It can chug on my R7-1700 desktop with 32GB of RAM and a GTX 1080. If I try to close a mesh I've chopped in half or something I've been able to just have it crash after running for 20 minutes trying to seal the open edges. A beefier laptop might help but some of it is the software.

Rythe
Jan 21, 2011

I'll normally take a mesh and convert it to a solid body easily. It's when I go to smooth out and merge all the triangle surfaces into a smooth one is where I run into issues. I'm not trying to do the full project in one go, I'll select maybe 60-75 faces at a time to merge and that will bog me down badly.

Soylent Yellow
Nov 5, 2010

yospos
My existing gaming laptop shat the bed earlier this week, so I'm looking at replacing it.

My living situation has been a bit mobile over the last couple of years, so I've sort-of gotten used to not having to set up and break down a desktop every so often. It'll be used for gaming and general entertainment, currently nothing too intensive, but having something that could handle Cyberpunk 2077 on decent graphics settings once it comes out would be good. My 3 year-old Helios 300 GTX1060 handled pretty much everything I threw at it without too much difficulty...... until it didn't.

My theoretical max budget is about £1300 (UK based). I've seen people here praising the Asus G14 a lot, which seems to tick all of the specification boxes for me, but I'm not 100% sure how I'd get on with the 14 inch screen. I won't be moving it about all that often, so portability is pretty low down on my list of requirements. I don't mind trading extra weight for better build quality and durability.

Paperback Writer
May 1, 2006

just bought the new Lenovo Legion 5 17” Ryzen 4800H RTX 2060 from their site with the 15% off coupon. SAVE15NOW

e: US site and it came out to $1215 for me. The code works for other models and you can also apply a military or school discount too I believe.

Paperback Writer fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Sep 27, 2020

MichiganCubbie
Dec 11, 2008

I love that I have an erection...

...that doesn't involve homeless people.

Soylent Yellow posted:

My theoretical max budget is about £1300 (UK based). I've seen people here praising the Asus G14 a lot, which seems to tick all of the specification boxes for me, but I'm not 100% sure how I'd get on with the 14 inch screen. I won't be moving it about all that often, so portability is pretty low down on my list of requirements. I don't mind trading extra weight for better build quality and durability.

Make sure you actually get a hold of one and check it out first. I wanted to like it, and I like the specs, but I wasn't too much a fan of the feel of it, and the screen really isn't great. I got the new xps 15, even thought it's weaker for games, because the fit and screen were that much better.

Placeholder
Sep 24, 2008
How is the build quality of HP laptops? I'm trying to decide between a HP Omen 15 with the 4800H + RTX 2060 and the Legion 5Pi with the i7 10750H + RTX 2060. This machine is going to replace my aging desktop and laptop, so it's going to be carried around in my backback quite often. I really want to it to not fall apart after a year or two and the screen flex issue of the HP is cause for concern. Any input?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Placeholder posted:

How is the build quality of HP laptops? I'm trying to decide between a HP Omen 15 with the 4800H + RTX 2060 and the Legion 5Pi with the i7 10750H + RTX 2060. This machine is going to replace my aging desktop and laptop, so it's going to be carried around in my backback quite often. I really want to it to not fall apart after a year or two and the screen flex issue of the HP is cause for concern. Any input?

I got an HP Omen 15 last summer and have had zero issues durability wise, and I travel with it at least a few times a week. No screen issues, cracks, or jacked up keyboard stuff.