Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who is your favorite returning character?
Kane
General Carville
Premier Romanov
Jobbo Fett
View Results

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011

Loxbourne posted:

Also it removes the Apocalypse Tank from the Soviet arsenal for not being serious enough. That should tell you all you need to know.
ah yes, the noted un-serious idea of tanks armed with multiple cannons, surely nobody would ever build such a thing in real life :rolleyes:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

How about a real-world Soviet tank with five separate turrets?

Carpator Diei
Feb 26, 2011

Loxbourne posted:

Also it removes the Apocalypse Tank from the Soviet arsenal for not being serious enough. That should tell you all you need to know.

Radio Free Kobold posted:

Buddy recommended a mod (Mental Omega) that has a yuri campaign that's pretty much that. Remember Fox and the Hound, that mission that gives you 3 psi-corps troopers and tells you to mind control the president? It's like a whole campaign of that. I'm liking it so far but man it's hard.
:psyduck: A whole campaign where you play as mind-controlling saturday morning cartoon villains, but it would apparently be way too silly to have a unit that doesn't even have any real sci-fi gimmicks and is just straightforwardly "What if tank, but too much?"

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

Nobody told them about the Ratte or any of the other blindingly stupid tanks throughout history.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

By popular demand posted:

Nobody told them about the Ratte or any of the other blindingly stupid tanks throughout history.

It was a simpler time.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
:actually: those big prototype tanks were extremely economically inefficient and proved worthless in battle as they were unable to travel more than a few miles before breaking down. It this essay i will prove that no video game should mimic these nonsense large tanks to match true reality because

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
I mean if "breaks down and catches fire while dismounting the train it was transported on" is a disqualifier

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
The only reason to not add more turrets to a tank is if you've run out of crew to operate them and can't add more, and yes I am mad at the 40k tanks with more guns than crew because some nerd sitting in front of a row of monitors controlling three sponsons is not what I want.

Plek
Jul 30, 2009

Jobbo_Fett posted:

I'm not gonna go hog wild on anti-spoiler messagery since mods aren't official releases, but could people please at least tag mod spoilers for something like Mental Omega? I haven't played it, and its in the lineup.

Much appreciated and thanks for the continued support :)

Oh sweet christ does that mean that you might play Twisted Insurrection? It's a bit of a trip...

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Plek posted:

Oh sweet christ does that mean that you might play Twisted Insurrection? It's a bit of a trip...

Correct. All I know about it is that there's like spiders or something and I want to know nothing else :)

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

UED Special Ops posted:

Oh, and the one small thing I dislike about YR, its that you lose access to the RA2 soundtrack, which is flat out replaced by the songs of YR. Its a good enough soundtrack, but not being able to hear Hell March 2 on demand always made me kinda sad.

that main menu music we heard for like 17 seconds is pretty badass though

I have to believe there's a mod somewhere to mix the two soundtracks together, audio restoration mods are not unknown for YR...

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!
Being an unfun boring person, I have to admit I'd prefer if the mods were just a brief visit rather than a full playthrough, as I'm far more interested in the official games.

Loxbourne
Apr 6, 2011

Tomorrow, doom!
But now, tea.
Hm, another missing scripted sequence. I'm sure I remember this mission opening with some Harriers making another run on Alcatraz Island during the opening camera pan. Did a late patch remove a bunch of scripting for some reason? Or is my memory playing tricks on me?

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

Loxbourne posted:

Hm, another missing scripted sequence. I'm sure I remember this mission opening with some Harriers making another run on Alcatraz Island during the opening camera pan. Did a late patch remove a bunch of scripting for some reason? Or is my memory playing tricks on me?

No that's right, it more or less shows the intro, complete with the crash.

UED Special Ops
Oct 21, 2008
Grimey Drawer

Loxbourne posted:

No I definitely remember that too.

EDIT: Thinking about it, think I remember more about it, but won't say anything more for now.

UED Special Ops fucked around with this message at 11:20 on Sep 25, 2020

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015

PurpleXVI posted:

Being an unfun boring person, I have to admit I'd prefer if the mods were just a brief visit rather than a full playthrough, as I'm far more interested in the official games.

I am interested in the mods, but I am also very interested in mechanics discussion of how the series evolves later. The spoiler policy is killing me :v:

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

Xarn posted:

I am interested in the mods, but I am also very interested in mechanics discussion of how the series evolves later. The spoiler policy is killing me :v:

Same, I may have Large Numbers Of Words to extrude out my rear end about possible future entries that may or may not exist.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

Well, at least we know there are no more mainline Tiberium games because C&C without Kane isn't C&C, and well, Kane is dead

BiggestOrangeTree
May 19, 2008
Oh well, at least we can look forward to Red Alert 2 YR Soviet campaign

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

"Federal regulations mandate that at least 30% of our content must promote Reptilian or Draconic culture. This is DJ Scratch N' Sniff with the latest mermaid screeching on KBLD..."

any game that starts with travelling back in time to try and unfuck the events of the previous game is either going to be really, really good or really, really bad.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006

Slaan posted:

Well, at least we know there are no more mainline Tiberium games because C&C without Kane isn't C&C, and well, Kane is dead
You can't kill the Messiah. There will be a dozen extremely good main-line/Renegade C&C games and expansions in the next few years and Kane will be in all of them.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

Nah, Kane is dead for realsies this time, I'm p. sure

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Fwiw they're apparently rebalancing the entire Mental Omega campaign, and I think towards the easier? Might want to wait until the next version comes out before playing it.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
With all the mod talk, what version are you guys using to play them? I assume TFD? Any custom patches?

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

"Federal regulations mandate that at least 30% of our content must promote Reptilian or Draconic culture. This is DJ Scratch N' Sniff with the latest mermaid screeching on KBLD..."

Mordja posted:

Fwiw they're apparently rebalancing the entire Mental Omega campaign, and I think towards the easier? Might want to wait until the next version comes out before playing it.

good, because even on easy that campaign was consistently kicking my rear end

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

anilEhilated posted:

With all the mod talk, what version are you guys using to play them? I assume TFD? Any custom patches?

TS went F2P a while back so most contemporary mods for it are completely standalone. I actually own RA2 on Origin but I, uh, just use a pirated installer because of how easy it is. Mods are based off the latest YR patch but most current ones use the Ares dll injector to bypass and expand the engine's limits. That's usually just included in the mod's installation files though.

Nostalgamus
Sep 28, 2010

I suddenly thought about something regarding the graphics issue you mentioned in the video:

My graphics card has a setting for what to use for scaling (GPU or Monitor, default is monitor). In my experience, monitor scaling has a noticeable lag when changing resolutions, which happens a fair bit in the YR executable - movies are 640x480, loading screen is 800x600, gameplay at 1024x768. GPU scaling does not have this issue for me.

Not sure if that's the source of your issues, but it might be worth checking out.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Nostalgamus posted:

I suddenly thought about something regarding the graphics issue you mentioned in the video:

My graphics card has a setting for what to use for scaling (GPU or Monitor, default is monitor). In my experience, monitor scaling has a noticeable lag when changing resolutions, which happens a fair bit in the YR executable - movies are 640x480, loading screen is 800x600, gameplay at 1024x768. GPU scaling does not have this issue for me.

Not sure if that's the source of your issues, but it might be worth checking out.

So I checked my files to see what was up and YR runs on a different set of .dlls so I might be able to have it work at higher resolutions, equal to RA2's videos but also I might not change it because I've already recorded some stuff and I kinda prefer the cutscenes having less void around them.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Allied X02: Operation: Hollywood and Vain

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7WK7DAtbxWE
Operation: Hollywood and Vain

We have received reports that, due to his control over large swathes of the population, Yuri is helping to fund his war efforts by... extracting them from the citizens themselves. Little information is known, due to the nature of the "operation" that each subject undergoes. Suffice to say that none of these monstrosities must be left standing.

Never been to LA, but it looks more or less accurate.

Objective: Destroy all Grinders, as well as all of Yuri's buildings in the area.

Briefing: Yuri has mind controlled the population of Los Angeles and is feeding the civilians into his Grinders to fund his Psychic Dominator project. If we can eliminate the Grinders, Yuri will have lost a significant source of funds.

Author's note: The only patch for Yuri's Revenge removes all the names and special quotes for the Actors. I hate the Battle Fortress, I just suck at using them. It's not impossible to use a higher resolution, but its significantly less hassle at 800x600, sorry!

Name: Ben Carville
Aliases: General Thorn
Affiliation: Allies
Voiced/Played by: Barry Corbin

Top military official for the United States of America's armed forces. Reports directly to the president. Enjoys antagonizing Tanya. Was temporarily subverted by the Soviet Union due to mind control weapons. Impressed by the Commander's ability to befriend Tanya. Killed before he could transfer to Europe when a suicide bomber infiltrated his HQ. Casually drops one of the best lines of all time related to time travel.

Name: Lt. Eva
Aliases: None
Affiliation: Allies
Occupation: Tactical and Communications officer for the Commander
Voiced/Played by: Athena Massey

Lt. Eva is the Commander's tactics and communications officer, providing a vital supporting role in the Commander's control of his forces, and the battlefield.

Name: Yuri
Aliases: None
Affiliation: Soviet
Voiced/Played by: Udo Kier

Aide/Confidant to the Premier of the Soviet Union. May not be on the up-and-up, dislikes Gen. Vladimir. Knows the meaning of "Soviet Irony." Do not tr~urk! Glorious Yuri is friend to all! Personal friend of Iosef Stalin. Traitor to the Motherland! Survived the war and has developed mind control devices that can control the minds of citizens over entire continents. Uses GOP scare tactics to convince weak-minded individuals to submit to an evil dictator.

Battle Fortress
RANGE: Medium
ARMOR: Heavy
WEAPON: 20mm AutoCannon
COST: 2000

This massive construction grinds over the battlefield, crushing infantry, vehicles (even tanks) and walls with equal ease. Up to five infantry units can be placed inside the Battle Fortress. These infantry units can shoot out of the many ports, adding to the carnage.

Author's Note: 2000 buckaroos for a vehicle that will basically need 4 or 5 infantry to jump in for that extra power. Yes, it IS nice that it can flatten enemy tanks, but they typically don't survive after crushing the first. They are more expensive than an Apocalypse Tank.

Grand Cannon
ARMOR: Steel
COST: 2000
POWER USAGE: 100
PURPOSE: Defensive Structure

This special French weapon is not a vehicle, but a large structure called the Grand Cannon. Once created, the Grand Cannon provides extremely effective base defence against enemy attacks, particularly against armoured units.

Author's Note: Originally, this building was only available in the Skirmish mode while playing as France.

Aftermath:

Faster than Par Time: "Great job, Commander. Your quick actions minimized civilian losses in the city and denied Yuri an important source of income to fund his plans. Hollywood agents are already offering deals for the rights to your life story."

Slower than Par Time: "Yuri has lost an important source of funds, but not without exacting a heavy price on the civilian population of Los Angeles."

NOTES

There are 3 special characters that all had unique lines in the original version of the game. For whatever reason, all of them were patched out, including their unique names. These were:

-Sammy Stallion
-Flint Westwood
-Arnnie Frankenfurter

I can't even find the files hidden anywhere, so if you have an original version of Yuri's Revenge, you have a theoretical gold mine on your hands.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

One thing of note from the episode. Why yes that was the psychic detector tower thingy in yuri's base.

More important thing of note. Carville is back!

ThingOne
Jul 30, 2011

Would you like some tofu?

The slaves are immune to mind control so if you ever have a lone Yuri causing you trouble you can always send them over to beat him to death with their shovels. I would always try to avoid killing slaves and do my best to get any freed ones back to my base for safekeeping because I felt sorry for them :smith:.

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

if you kill anything, anything at all with a slave, they become veterancy 3 murder machines.

Napoleon Nelson
Nov 8, 2012

The battle fortress with 4 Chrono Legionnaires and 1 Seal was one of my go-to moves. The seal takes care of any infantry that gets near and once the legionnaires get veterancy nearby tanks just disappear.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Napoleon Nelson posted:

The battle fortress with 4 Chrono Legionnaires and 1 Seal was one of my go-to moves. The seal takes care of any infantry that gets near and once the legionnaires get veterancy nearby tanks just disappear.

Yeah, that sounds like a good use of it, actually. Still, I'm always worried that a max veterancy Chrono Legionnaire can start dancing around my base at the speed of AI and murder me.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

Jobbo_Fett posted:

I can't even find the files hidden anywhere, so if you have an original version of Yuri's Revenge, you have a theoretical gold mine on your hands.

I've had this post in my bookmarks for years: https://forums.revora.net/topic/83325-hollywood-vain-original-voices-help/

I believe I tried this and it worked, but I also believe I tried this many years ago, so I'm not the most reliable source :v:

I have my RA2 discs around somewhere but I wonder where YR is...

Psion fucked around with this message at 04:41 on Sep 30, 2020

MEIN RAVEN
Oct 7, 2008

Gutentag Mein Raven

Gauntlet is thrown down: I will find my copy of Yuri's Revenge, because I never throw ANYTHING away.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

UnSmith posted:

Gauntlet is thrown down: I will find my copy of Yuri's Revenge, because I never throw ANYTHING away.

gently caress I can smell the dust from here.

ThingOne
Jul 30, 2011

Would you like some tofu?

Radio Free Kobold posted:

if you kill anything, anything at all with a slave, they become veterancy 3 murder machines.

5 slaves in a battle fortress is far more effective than it has any right to be.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Jobbo_Fett posted:

NOTES

There are 3 special characters that all had unique lines in the original version of the game. For whatever reason, all of them were patched out, including their unique names. These were:

-Sammy Stallion
-Flint Westwood
-Arnnie Frankenfurter

Here are the lines for anyone that is interested:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vRTlRIEy8oQ

I love the Stallone ones. Yo!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

At least prism tanks can still crush anything that gets in range and they outrange pretty much everything. Good thing Yuri copied the crappy "main" battletank instead of that.

The airport is great to grab, it lets you put up a couple of cannons to protect that approach and all the free infantry can be garrisoned. Personally I like to slap down several grand cannons in my base. Probably overkill but they're fun to use.

Patching out the voices was such a dick move. :(