Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Anonymous Zebra
Oct 21, 2005
Blending in like it ain't no thang
I know, I know. Father wasn't reading his power level with a scouter, he was reading it with a location tracker that also transmitted Rapist's metabolic readings.

Wait, what's that you say? Mary-Sue in an earlier episode explicitly said that the location trackers don't transmit medical data hence them not being sure the children are even alive, and also why they are fooled by the trackers being removed from their bodies and left in a trapped skeleton cave? I'm sorry my friend, we are in a post-modern era of TV where events and dialog shown on screen are not relevant to predicting future events.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

Anonymous Zebra posted:

I know, I know. Father wasn't reading his power level with a scouter, he was reading it with a location tracker that also transmitted Rapist's metabolic readings.

Wait, what's that you say? Mary-Sue in an earlier episode explicitly said that the location trackers don't transmit medical data hence them not being sure the children are even alive, and also why they are fooled by the trackers being removed from their bodies and left in a trapped skeleton cave? I'm sorry my friend, we are in a post-modern era of TV where events and dialog shown on screen are not relevant to predicting future events.

It had the prisoner module installed dingus

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

The whole blood supblot with Mother and Carl was low key one of my favorite moments of the show. Everything about it was great. Loved Carl.

Hakkesshu posted:

The term hard sci fi keeps getting thrown around when it is clearly sci-fantasy because any tech they show is virtually indistinguishable from magic.

Tbh I get a lot of original Star Wars vibes off the show sometimes. But yeah, I think one of the reasons the unexplained stuff in this show doesn't bug me at all is because to me it's all just magic. I haven't thought twice about a bunch of the things that have been driving people nuts about it.

Lister posted:

the heel turn on Caleb was pretty loving sudden and drastic after he'd been so rational up to that point.

Tbh one of the few things I don't like about the show is just how fast. He goes from relatable to torn in a reasonable amount of time, but his switch to power hungry madman seemed like it came out of nowhere. I felt like I went from liking him to wanting to see him get annihilated over the course of one episode.

veni veni veni fucked around with this message at 09:13 on Sep 25, 2020

OH WORD SON
Apr 21, 2006
This show is weird as gently caress and I'm I'm here for it

Also the show doesn't give two shits about explaining anything so why do you dorks care. Either enjoy it or don't but stop going on about what the fantasy Android would do for the 6 hours the kids are sleeping

OH WORD SON fucked around with this message at 10:07 on Sep 25, 2020

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 18 hours!

Dark Off posted:

it does raise question still.
how did the prisoner suck up android juices for powerup?
Is it the alien android blood doing things, something like nanomachines?
And is it the alien voices trying to do evil things again?

It's simple, he transferred his blood to her, then somehow the flow got flipped and his own blood came back into him. This made him grow huge and powerful as you would know had you ever had a transfusion of your own blood.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
Space ragnar went space crazy and space hat dude sucked up fuel blood + real blood and turned into space buff hat dude

simple really

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

One thing I'm really missing in this show is more establishing and landscape shots. Everything is mostly contained to a handful of sets and it gets really claustrophobic at times. Like, you got this enormous planet and we basically only see the same 10 trees, a huge ground rear end in a top hat and a 1x1m patch of desert of it. Get a loving camera drone already

DrPop
Aug 22, 2004

The mystery of the show is that the writing is cliche and poor and the handwavium is just there to distract from it

wibble
May 20, 2001
Meep meep
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JbIZy0cI0-Y

This youtuber seems to have got it straight.

Dark Off
Aug 14, 2015

now that i think about i think i got it.
the thing in box is the true necromancer being sealed . the aliens send the the blueprints of necromancer to other races as warning to not build em or necromancer sends em to get copies build.
the mom necromancer is incomplete version of necromancer unable to resurrect the dead ppl, but her baby is most likely complete version of necromancer.

saul/sol is most likely the opposing force for this with paul being the chosen one.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

DrPop posted:

The mystery of the show is that the writing is cliche and poor and the handwavium is just there to distract from it

Dude I was just thinking this. The bit where the bucket head man was hooked up to the robot who was sucking his blood like a walking IV Drip was so loving cringe. Of course he'd suck up the blood and become super strong and have to be killed by a 14 year old throwing a robot head off a cliff. They did the exact same thing in Legends Of Tomorrow season two and that isn't even one of the good seasons.

Lister
Apr 23, 2004

Hakkesshu posted:

The term hard sci fi keeps getting thrown around when it is clearly sci-fantasy because any tech they show is virtually indistinguishable from magic.

Look at Roman over here. https://youtu.be/gVszHLWHLo0?t=36

Cuddly Tumblemumps
Aug 23, 2013

Postmodernity means the exhilarating freedom to pursue anything, yet mind-boggling uncertainty as to what is worth pursuing and in the name of what one should pursue it.
This show is clearly high fantasy. In reality any androids sent would be much more practical, descendants of the Boston Dynamics robodog.

I do not understand why Scott did not go for this obvious option, rather than rehashing the same uber-Catholic stuff he wanted to pack into Prometheus.

Hell, even the show's title Raised By Wolves would make so much more sense if Mother was a robodog.

Sure, we wouldn't have a beautiful android 5'10" Scandinavian ballerina to empathize with but I think 2020 prestige TV viewers are sophisticated enough to relate to a robodog just as deeply.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

Cuddly Tumblemumps posted:

Sure, we wouldn't have a beautiful android 5'10" Scandinavian ballerina to empathize with but I think 2020 prestige TV viewers are sophisticated enough to relate to a robodog just as deeply.

listen i hear your complaint but this is clearly just a case of competing fetishes.

also what are we calling space ragnar? i've settled on spragnar, feels right.

Zlodo
Nov 25, 2006
im really liking the whole "dont give a gently caress about all the nerds who want everything to make sense just do weird things for the lolz" vibe of the show

my theory is its all taking place in the distant past in the same universe as alien and the android/human hybrid baby is the first engineer

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
Why did Paul tell Campion to dig with the hands of the carcass. That doesn't really work tho. They're not rigid tools and certainly not alive.

Lister
Apr 23, 2004

Shaocaholica posted:

Why did Paul tell Campion to dig with the hands of the carcass. That doesn't really work tho. They're not rigid tools and certainly not alive.

I think the hands were webbed and could scoop more dirt, but yeah, even then it's not like that would have sped things up much more.

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

What the gently caress

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

I'm loving this weird show.

Particularly liked the weird vision of the alien guy in the box that Mother got from the metal card - interesting that the voice told Paul to destroy the cards.

If I were to guess, the vision was of the thing that's trapped in the box getting imprisoned. Maybe the other cards contained information or warnings about what happened and doesn't want anyone seeing them so it can use its psychic powers to convince the dumb humans to free it.

As for Mother's baby... I have no idea. Maybe the virus in the simulator is related to the voice and/or the temple, or maybe it's something different with its own motives. An attempt by the virus to take physical form?

Really enjoying the world and the mystery around it.

DandyLion
Jun 24, 2010
disrespectul Deciever

It all feels pretty obvious/telegraphed that something similar happened on Keppler 22b like what happened on Earth (nuclear war ruining the planet and killing off everything). This also explains why everything around is various levels of radioactive.

Additionally, during the visions of the robed aliens and the alien-android thing, there is a brief profile shot of one where we see an elongated face covered by robes that in my mind implies they looked similar to the beast creatures (which coincidentally closely resembled the alien-android thing).

I'd wager there was some very similar conflict to the atheist vs. Mithraism war that happened on Earth, and their response was to send an arc and/or pods to Earth as newly seeded life, wherein history ends up repeating itself and returning to the source (Keppler 22b) in a weirdly 'Battlestar Galactica' esque switcheroo. Anyone who stayed devolved/mutated into the weird beast creatures, and there's probably some ancient AI/Android entity deep down in the planet (connected somehow to the tunnels) that's putting its finger on the scales for the sake of its analogue (Mother and her mission - like deactivating the explosives set to kill sleeping simulation Mother) while some remnant of Mithraism is putting voices into peoples heads in an effort to tip the scales the opposite way.

The conflict that is the root of this story is seemingly eternal....

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
Ok so it’s Prometheus then

Eau de MacGowan
May 12, 2009

BRASIL HEXA
2026 tá logo aí
The moral is dont listen to the loving sun.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
The Sun cannot be trusted. It has attempted to force Raisin Bran on us for decades.

Two scoops of raisins, even.

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
I was cheering to see Father back. What a great show.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT
i tried explaining this show to my dad and i got as far as the part where the robot goo and alien blood flowed out of the pregnant android trapped in a fever dream about a barfing alien head dodecahedron into the dark souls rapist and made him a super rapist who tried to murder a child but thankfully she grabbed the robot head off his back and threw it down a hill so his head imploded and sprayed brain goo everywhere. he hung up and i think he might have called the police?

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

i tried explaining this show to my dad and i got as far as the part where the robot goo and alien blood flowed out of the pregnant android trapped in a fever dream about a barfing alien head dodecahedron into the dark souls rapist and made him a super rapist who tried to murder a child but thankfully she grabbed the robot head off his back and threw it down a hill so his head imploded and sprayed brain goo everywhere. he hung up and i think he might have called the police?

it owns

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

ex post facho posted:

I was cheering to see Father back. What a great show.
This last episode actually made me feel happy, which is weird because the show's tone is so grim and serious. They've settled on who the "good" characters are now and I like that they're being kind to each other. Other shows just ride the morally-gray "both sides" crap all the way through and you end up rooting for no one.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

JazzFlight posted:

This last episode actually made me feel happy, which is weird because the show's tone is so grim and serious. They've settled on who the "good" characters are now and I like that they're being kind to each other. Other shows just ride the morally-gray "both sides" crap all the way through and you end up rooting for no one.

Yeah. Mother's "is this a dream?" moment was actually heartbreaking.

Anyone reckon we're gonna get a timejump at some point? It seems inevitable that adult Campion and adult Paul are destined to come into conflict.

Assuming the second season is going to be doing some sort of Exodus / pilgrimage plot to the tropical zone, I'm guessing we'll get a brief one between seasons, skipping to the end of Tempest's pregnancy, and then another one after they get to the promised land/magnetic hotspot/tropical zone.

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
we already had several time jumps (9 months later, 4 years later, etc.) so that's definitely possible.

ep 9: is spacegar dead? it looked like he popped the necro eye in his mouth with that white drip, convulsed, then stopped and that can't be good. probably not.

or, it could give it super banestength!,

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT
i'm thinking we're gonna see powered up necrospragnar and i'm tuned the gently caress in.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Ragnar will look like Super Shredder in the season finale.

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

Open Source Idiom posted:

Anyone reckon we're gonna get a timejump at some point? It seems inevitable that adult Campion and adult Paul are destined to come into conflict.

Good lord I hope they don't do that.

LentThem
Aug 31, 2004

90% Retractible

LentThem posted:

I'm pretty sure he needed to survive that scene so they could key up a confrontation between him and Tempest, probably leading to some cathartic moment where she does something to the android so that it triggers the helmet and squashes the guy's head

hell yeah

nopants
May 29, 2004

ded posted:

Space ragnar went space crazy and space hat dude sucked up fuel blood + real blood and turned into space buff hat dude

simple really

it was classic dark souls.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

this show fuckin rules. everything about it gets me hard. android goo, space crusaders, getting goons mad. its got it all

knox
Oct 28, 2004

I didn't know anything about Alien lore/Prometheus/etc before yesterday really when I looked into it and watched some scenes. The robed figures Mother sees with the alien tech spitting goo, looks a lot like the Engineers in Prometheus. It would make sense it's set in the same universe as people have already speculated when it first aired.

The creatures on the planet look a lot like weakened/lovely mutated Xenomoprhs also.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
This show was good when it was just about humans killing each other but now there’s a space god and space religion and space jesus miracle baby and it’s loving trash now.

LentThem
Aug 31, 2004

90% Retractible
I want to know more about the Pet Sematary holes on this planet where people and animals that fall in come back to life as evil marionettes

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Nuts and Gum posted:

Good lord I hope they don't do that.

There are two things that happen when a main character has a baby on a show, either there is a huge timeskip, or the baby ages super-fast.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

Boris Galerkin posted:

This show was good when it was just about humans killing each other but now there’s a space god and space religion and space jesus miracle baby and it’s loving trash now.

that was all literally presented in the first episode and has been the glaringly obvious theme the whole time? if you're not into that stuff how did you get 9 episodes in?