Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
:cheers:

Welcome to the wild and wonderful world of gigabit internet!

e: Everything I've seen says the Technicolor is a better modem, so good call there. I had the CODA because that's what Rogers provided with the service. It was fine in bridge mode, but there were plenty of horror stories about it even with the later revisions

infernal machines fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Sep 6, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

:v:

Oh wicked looks like TSI literally updated their availability for me today - last I checked my address only had access to the 300mbps package.

Glad you called that out, I thought I was gonna be forced to give rogers money to get those sweet jiggabits

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord
I asked ebox for install info last week, they never got back to me. Would recommend

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

Shaw's supposedly upgrading people on plans that are 300Mbps+ to upload that is 10% of the advertised download speed over the next week or two for 80% of their footprint. The 300 plan goes from 15Mbps up to 30, the 750 plan goes from 20 to 75, and the 1Gbps plan goes from 25 to 100.

zergstain
Dec 15, 2005

I wonder when those of us that live in Ontario will be able to look forward to such upgrades.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011
Yeah, I'll be impressed if they roll that out in my area, which, last I checked, they considered an "outlying region" because it's on the wrong side of the Fraser River.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

Court rejects Bell, Rogers appeals of CRTC decision on internet wholesale rates

TSI comments on reddit

originalnickname
Mar 9, 2005

tree

Kazinsal posted:

Yeah, I'll be impressed if they roll that out in my area, which, last I checked, they considered an "outlying region" because it's on the wrong side of the Fraser River.

I mean, Langley's not an outlying region. I'd say if you were in like.. the suburbs of Chilliwack you'd be *possibly* an outlier, but if you were told that, I'm not sure why.

Regardless, you'll be getting the upstream bump in the near future like everyone else (good thing you asked for that new modem). They're doing it a batch at a time.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

TekSavvy demands immediate refund from Bell, Rogers after FCA rejects ‘dubious’ appeals of CRTC wholesale rate decision

quote:

TekSavvy expects that the CRTC will once again direct the large carriers to file updated tariffs with the corrected final rates and to refund monies owed, consistent with the CRTC’s prior direction before the Stay. Until that outstanding balance is paid, in full, TekSavvy will be applying the amounts owed, with interest, as a monthly credit on the wholesale fees charged by Bell and Rogers.

hoho

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost

What exactly does this mean? That teksavvy is owed a refund of the difference in what they were charged and what the court decided to be fair. Teksavvy will be taking this difference, adding some interest, and then subtracting the difference from what they will be paying the carrier?

That is to say, Teksavvy is just unilaterally giving bell and rogers less money than the invoices state, even if bell and rogers don't update their invoices?

Nitr0
Aug 17, 2005

IT'S FREE REAL ESTATE
Pretty much. Bold move Cotton, let's see if it pays off for them or Bell and Rogers decide to just cut off Teksavvy and leave all their customers in the lurch then fight it out in court.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
Yeah... That's putting a lot of faith in the notion that they won't just terminate the services for nonpayment or breach of contract

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
I’m guessing Teksavvy will actually dodge around a bit and have the withholding be about their legal fees, which the court said bell/Rogers has to pay, or will be a discount applied such that the monthly amount paid isn’t affected but there are some big red lines on the statement.

Nobody can see these so it’s all PR anyway.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011
Shaw's new plans are up on their internet options list, at least in BC. Fibre+ 300, 750, and 1000 plans all have 100 Mbps up. I'm still on the legacy Internet 300 plan so I'm still only getting 15 Mbps up; will report back once I "upgrade" to Fibre+.

e: their billing department is closed until the morning, so, uh, will report back tomorrow

Kazinsal fucked around with this message at 05:53 on Sep 24, 2020

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011
Trip report:

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.

Kazinsal posted:

Trip report:

telus called me a couple weeks ago and kinda blindsided me with this

for what i was paying for 150/150 prior. honestly never really expected them to go through with actually using fibre

(in vancouver)

edit: its still 1TB max bandwidth so i cant go too nuts, but its really nice to see stuff downloading at like 40mb/s sometimes

Verviticus fucked around with this message at 00:10 on Sep 25, 2020

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Cogeco offered nothing but 120/60 in my neighborhood until Bell came in and strung Fibe. Suddenly now that Bell was offering gigabit and I switched, Cogeco is sending me flyers that they’re offering higher speeds than before!

Thanks for only offering the bare minimum until someone forced your hand, dumdums.

I mean not that Bell is some kind of shining beacon. Looking at my post history here I’m seeing at least one “gently caress if I ever touch Bell” post but here I am v:)v

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 00:15 on Sep 25, 2020

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Rogers was pestering the poo poo out of me for almost a year after I switched to Bell. There's no point in trying to explain to a sales person that they can't offer 950Mbit upload and until they do I'm not switching back, they just try to sell me a TV package I don't want instead.

I don't like Bell as a company either. I do like symmetrical gigabit fibre though, so :shrug:

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

^^^
I’ll say one thing, the lady that processed my cancellation didn’t seem to give me too much poo poo. I just told her that Bell brought fibre service in and unless they could match gigabit and price there was really nothing to discuss, and she was all “ok no problem, thanks for letting us know” and killed my service.

I’m also curious to see how well the aging coax infrastructure here is supposed to be delivering me gigabit cable.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

I'm in Little Portugal (TO) and it worked well enough to deliver the advertised speeds, 50Mbit upload is a joke though and I think it's actually 30Mbit now.

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos

Martytoof posted:

^^^
I’ll say one thing, the lady that processed my cancellation didn’t seem to give me too much poo poo. I just told her that Bell brought fibre service in and unless they could match gigabit and price there was really nothing to discuss, and she was all “ok no problem, thanks for letting us know” and killed my service.

I’m also curious to see how well the aging coax infrastructure here is supposed to be delivering me gigabit cable.
Old rear end coax can deliver unlimited* gigabit* fibre* no problem.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

infernal machines posted:

I'm in Little Portugal (TO) and it worked well enough to deliver the advertised speeds, 50Mbit upload is a joke though and I think it's actually 30Mbit now.

I think they recapped at 30. The download has honestly been great but ugh, uploads. Only start is doing brownfield fibre here and they seem to have stopped. Alas.

Although they cap uploads at 100 I think, too.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Beanfield?

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

https://www.ad-net.com.tw/brownfields-vs-green&%2364257;elds-telecommunications-networking/

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Huh, I see. I think we were calling it fibre to the node here when Rogers started offering gigabit and Bell was doing VDSL2

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

infernal machines posted:

Huh, I see. I think we were calling it fibre to the node here when Rogers started offering gigabit and Bell was doing VDSL2

no, no. this is completely distinct from that. brownfield vs greenfield is just dealing with whatever the primary / first connection to the house is. new houses / subdivisions (greenfield) are just getting fibre by default a lot of the time these days. people who live in established areas with prior connections (brownfield) - outside of toronto - are much more expensive propositions

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

So we're looking at moving this winter, which means I'm looking at internet plans again.

At the moment we're with TSI, on a cable 250/20 for $93 plan that doesn't seem to exist anymore, according to their website. It looks like we could go to 150/15 for $78, or if we wanted to pay a bit more they're offering 500/20 and 1024/30 in this area too, for $105 and $115.

I also noticed that Distributel is apparently available here too now, and they seem to be undercutting TSI pretty hard on price -- $65 for 150/15 and $90 for 1024/30, both uncapped. So for slightly less than what we're paying TSI now we could have half again as much upstream and four times as much downstream bandwidth. (Although I suspect that we'd have to get a new modem to replace our Hitron CDA3-20. Again.)

The thing is, I don't really know anything about Distributel beyond seeing them pop up in the occasional hostname -- I assume they use the same Rogers infrastructure for cable internet that TSI does. We've been on TSI for over a decade at this point and have been pretty happy with them, and appreciate that some of our money goes to legal challenges against Bell and Rogers. Thoughts on Distributel?

Nitr0
Aug 17, 2005

IT'S FREE REAL ESTATE

ToxicFrog posted:

The thing is, I don't really know anything about Distributel beyond seeing them pop up in the occasional hostname -- I assume they use the same Rogers infrastructure for cable internet that TSI does. We've been on TSI for over a decade at this point and have been pretty happy with them, and appreciate that some of our money goes to legal challenges against Bell and Rogers. Thoughts on Distributel?

I've peered with Distributel in the past and they've been around for quite a while. I would suspect you'd be happy with them.

Nitr0
Aug 17, 2005

IT'S FREE REAL ESTATE
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/new-brunswick/broadband-rural-internet-high-speed-access-wireless-technology-fibre-optic-cable-1.5748599

This is cool. It's exactly what I wished starlink was. The ability for us to deploy into smaller areas, run fiber to the home to approx 100 homes and then have a LEO fed backhaul into your network to connect it would be absolutely perfect. Telesat seems to be deploying approx 900km higher at 1200km than the starlink 340km, so the satellites should have a longer shelf life than starlink, although with an increase in latency. Telesat could sell sell something like $5 / 1Mb/s and it would sell like hot cakes.

Your biggest asset is that local customer experience where you're in a town and you know all your customers personally. You can continue to push fiber out to these areas over time, but it would be a great stepping stone for a smaller isp who needs to manage funds and expand farther at the same time.

zergstain
Dec 15, 2005

Nitr0 posted:

I've peered with Distributel in the past and they've been around for quite a while. I would suspect you'd be happy with them.

I always understood that Teksavvy was operating under razor thin profit margins, so I would have to ask what corners are cheaper ISPs cutting?

Nitr0
Aug 17, 2005

IT'S FREE REAL ESTATE
Nothing really. Different companies at a different scale I suppose. If you don't need the customer support aspect much, I assume that helps them keep the costs down.

They're still just reselling on wholesale rates so add whatever you pay on top of those rates and that's Distributel revenue.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Nitr0 posted:

Reassuring, thank you! I assume they're good about letting you host servers? I have the family server (photos, music, ebooks, backups, etc...) which mostly serves stuff over HTTPS or SSH but also has some stuff like syncthing that speaks weird bespoke protocols, and while I've had no trouble on TSI I remember Rogers was endlessly loving with packet shaping and inbound port permissions.

zergstain posted:

I always understood that Teksavvy was operating under razor thin profit margins, so I would have to ask what corners are cheaper ISPs cutting?

Also curious about this, they're way cheaper than TSI.

zergstain
Dec 15, 2005

Nitr0 posted:

Nothing really. Different companies at a different scale I suppose. If you don't need the customer support aspect much, I assume that helps them keep the costs down.

They're still just reselling on wholesale rates so add whatever you pay on top of those rates and that's Distributel revenue.

They don't appear to have 24 hour tech support, so there's that. I would still wonder about hold times, helpfulness of the staff, etc. I expect that when it's working, it works just as well as anyone else. Or is it possible they don't have enough capacity to reach peak demand?

Are the wholesale rates publically available?

unknown
Nov 16, 2002
Ain't got no stinking title yet!

IIRC, Distributel's play was to do IPTV and telco voip (both items they're big whitebox providers) with higher margins to supplement internet revenues.

Bell's tariffs are at https://www.bell.ca/tariffs

zergstain
Dec 15, 2005

I was really just interested in Rogers rates because the DSL offerings in my neighborhood are poo poo. I don't know which of those tarrifs are the one I'd want to read either.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

zergstain posted:

I was really just interested in Rogers rates because the DSL offerings in my neighborhood are poo poo. I don't know which of those tarrifs are the one I'd want to read either.

Wholesale Internet rates for a given provider are public, in what is usually called their Access Services Tariff. Rogers' is at https://www.rogers.com/cms/images/en/Access_Services_Tariff.pdf, and the rates for wholesale internet (called TPIA for cable companies) are at page 98 of the tariff - so page 109 of the PDF.

Fair warning, they're kind of tricky to translate into a flat "how much of what Teksavvy or Distributel is charging me goes to Rogers?" way because the rates that are mandated include charges for a lot of business-to-business stuff involved in co-ordinating your access that gets folded up into what your independent ISP is charging you (and also capacity-based billing is a concept I still have trouble wrapping my head around sometimes).

vvvvv fixed, sorry.

Dallan Invictus fucked around with this message at 22:18 on Oct 8, 2020

zergstain
Dec 15, 2005

Your link is broken.

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

Looks like just an extra comma.

https://www.rogers.com/cms/images/en/Access_Services_Tariff.pdf

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

The comma at the end got appended to the URL, for some reason

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zergstain
Dec 15, 2005

They list per modem rates up to 50 Mbps, but what about for higher speeds? Yeah, looks like to really know, I'd have to know how many customers they have in Rogers areas, what speeds they're on, and poo poo like the number of POI connections and how often they add more. As for the CBB, I assume it would cost them $1251.00 if this household transferred non-stop at 100 Mbps for an entire month.