Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Happy Hedonist
Jan 18, 2009

ethanol posted:

i think ur the one that's mad friendo

I'm not mad at all, it's just annoying. poo poo sucks and I like to relax and talk about video games without all the negativity. I'll find a new thread, it's cool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

I love the cool titles of the thread - congrats of the mods for that

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Thom12255 posted:

Did you read the article? It's been clear for years that Bethesda's business problems were influencing why Fallout 76 even got made. They were getting desperate for a recurring source of income instead of relying on blockbusters that had to 100% succeed every half decade to pay for their studios upkeep.

yes the article is a fluff piece to justify things post hoc. these companies do not need to pivot to live service, they never have, they are doing it because if its successful it is even more profitable than selling a game once. this is the entire reasoning. even this article is lying outright lol its saying again about the 30% steam cut being some millstone around the neck of AAA publishers. if thats true then how did they possibly survive during the pre-digital era, where their margins were far lower. physical sales were less profitable due to the store and platform holder cuts as well as physical production. alongside that, used games were the method people used to buy games cheaper rather than sales, and used games give approximately 0% back to the company. digital sales actually allow them to capture the budget market now that their sales arent undercut in the same stores theyre promoted in by a used market. the idea they need a subscription or they need microtransactions or they need a live service game is absolute nonsense, and if they have taken financial damage from trying to do this and failing rather than just making a game it is entirely self inflicted. gigantic companies are not victims.

even this stupid bit "they tried everything" they list games that were explicitly financial successes, the issue is they werent big enough. this is the same stupidity that lead activision to say destiny 2 wasnt profitable enough despite doing ridiculously well. its the same idiocy that had square enix yelling about games missing targets even when they sold fantastically and easily made profit. this isnt games failing, its games failing to make extraordinary levels of profit leading them to seek even more customer hostile monetization to inflate margins. they then list things that bethesda utterly failed at through their own fault and caused financial and reputational damage because they were incompetent and lazy. their store being an absolute dumpster fire to use and so comically badly made every game they released on it somehow came out with copy protection stripped outt before being added back in is their own fault. fallout 76 being a complete technical horrorshow with no content because they laser focused on making a game they sell a subscription for and to pile microtransactions on is their own fault because they focused on greed rather than making a competent product. these giant studios are consistently shooting themselves in the foot while still making profitable pieces of media and then going "woe is me" and its stunning people are falling for it.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

Happy Hedonist posted:

I'm not mad at all, it's just annoying. poo poo sucks and I like to relax and talk about video games without all the negativity. I'll find a new thread, it's cool.

lol not mad at all

Happy Hedonist
Jan 18, 2009

ethanol posted:

lol not mad at all

Dude I’ve seen your posts getting wrecked on twitter for how stupid they are. I understand now.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Americans really don't know what they were missing. I had a few copies of things like EGM that seemed fine, but there just didn't seem to be any US publications of things that could rival PC Zone*, Super Play, Mean Machines etc. We just seemed to have an absolute ton of games mags and they all had to carve their own personality to survive, which meant some got to go weird as poo poo with it. Not to mention Digitiser.

To keep it relevant, are there any must-read xbox sites and any must-avoid ones? I quite like Nintendo Life for the Switch, and see that Pure Xbox is their sister site so I just started reading there.

* I remember being a 12 year old or similar at a trade show and just bugging the absolute poo poo out of PCZ writer Patrick McCarthy, who I thought was hilarious, at the Doom multiplayer kiosk for multiple hours. Sorry Patrick.

e: cor! time to relive the past through tinted glasses. http://www.pixsoriginadventures.co.uk/PCZone/

EL BROMANCE fucked around with this message at 16:47 on Sep 25, 2020

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

Happy Hedonist posted:

Dude I’ve seen your posts getting wrecked on twitter for how stupid they are. I understand now.

the hug box has a twitter?

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013
The games business has been a toxic mess for a long time. I remember charts from the 90s/00s showing that after months or years of development, something like 90% of a game's sales happened in the first few weeks. So a game's survival depended a great deal on marketing and early reviews, rather than on sustained quality and longevity. This strongly tilted publishers towards 'safe' bets in familiar genres, copycat games, and occasional lucky hits that opened up new genres. Plus a lot of license tie-in shovelware.

This is a terrible way to run an industry, so publishers and developers have been trying to escape it in a variety of ways for decades.

Strategies include:
- Multiplayer to increase longevity
- Crowdfunding
- Porting/Remakes/Re-releases
- Ugly combinations of:
-- Subscriptions
-- Annual releases (pseudo subscriptions)
-- Big expansions and DLC
-- Microtransactions
-- Lootboxes and Gatcha
-- Seasons
-- Cosmetics
-- Map Packs

I don't know if anyone has ever revealed the business agreements behind being a GamePass game aside from a few feel good 'it increased our sales' stories but it seems like a lot of developers who spend their lives with the wolves at the door would greatly welcome a more stable cashflow which enables them to move towards ongoing patching and support of released games, as well as smaller titles, and more variety of viable games. Very few companies have the cash buffer to say "when it's done" for their release schedule.

I mean, I get wanting to "own" a game but I also want post-launch support, patches and bug fixes and I don't want games shoved out the door when they need more polish. Ideally, I'd like those things without the company needing to develop some intrusive set of whale-fishing moves in order to keep the money flowing.

Happy Hedonist
Jan 18, 2009

ethanol posted:

the hug box has a twitter?

Imagine posting so badly people take screenshots and make fun of you on social media.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

Happy Hedonist posted:

Imagine posting so badly people take screenshots and make fun of you on social media.

how you not gonna link me one

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.
LoL it's funny as hell when that happens

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

doingitwrong posted:

The games business has been a toxic mess for a long time. I remember charts from the 90s/00s showing that after months or years of development, something like 90% of a game's sales happened in the first few weeks. So a game's survival depended a great deal on marketing and early reviews, rather than on sustained quality and longevity. This strongly tilted publishers towards 'safe' bets in familiar genres, copycat games, and occasional lucky hits that opened up new genres. Plus a lot of license tie-in shovelware.

This is a terrible way to run an industry, so publishers and developers have been trying to escape it in a variety of ways for decades.

Strategies include:
- Multiplayer to increase longevity
- Crowdfunding
- Porting/Remakes/Re-releases
- Ugly combinations of:
-- Subscriptions
-- Annual releases (pseudo subscriptions)
-- Big expansions and DLC
-- Microtransactions
-- Lootboxes and Gatcha
-- Seasons
-- Cosmetics
-- Map Packs

I don't know if anyone has ever revealed the business agreements behind being a GamePass game aside from a few feel good 'it increased our sales' stories but it seems like a lot of developers who spend their lives with the wolves at the door would greatly welcome a more stable cashflow which enables them to move towards ongoing patching and support of released games, as well as smaller titles, and more variety of viable games. Very few companies have the cash buffer to say "when it's done" for their release schedule.

I mean, I get wanting to "own" a game but I also want post-launch support, patches and bug fixes and I don't want games shoved out the door when they need more polish. Ideally, I'd like those things without the company needing to develop some intrusive set of whale-fishing moves in order to keep the money flowing.

the developers that have the wolves at the door are not giant publishers who own multiple studios, theyre small indie devs, who somehow despite being in an infinitely more precarious position manage to consistently provide better support for their games post release than the studios posting millions of sales do. theyre also the same studios who had to push for ages to get into digital stores and will be once again shut out if subscriptions take over, outside of the very exceptional break out indie games.

the sales in the first week was directly tied into the issues of physical distribution and competing on the long tail of your own product that you get no money from with used sales. also, the games still did well. even in that situation the things big studios tried like the short lived multiplayer pass dlc concept were not vital to their survival or continued work on games. since digital has over taken physical sales profit margins have rocketed even higher, with EA themselves saying the margins on digital sales for them are double that of physical. yet at the same time we're being told actually, its not enough. please think about the situation a bit more carefully: at the same time as profit margins on AAA games doubled we are being told microtransactions etc are required to make the games profitable enough. in an industry where margins on physical were already far higher than any other media property could dream of. none of it is nessecary.

post launch support wont improve, its not an issue of margin or income. small titles with vastly smaller budgets and margins manage better post release support than very profitable titles. releasing games buggy wont improve, the issue is crunch and an abusive culture in development that wont change until mass unionisation. subscription services also wont reduce or remove intrusive and manipulative microtransaction models, we already know games like halo infinite will have microtransactions in despite being developed explicitly with gamepass in mind from the outset. as long as these things make money on top of the money they are already making they will be included no matter how the game is delivered to you.

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,
we won't need eyes to see.

doingitwrong posted:

This is a terrible way to run an industry

Please never investigate the movie industry. You will have an aneurysm.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Got me all riled up with these speeches to tear it all down

Crafty
Dec 9, 2003

I CAN'T SEE SHIT.

xbox one is the best
Ethanol your posts are making Stux’s posts look good.

Stux posted:

no subscription service is good for you as the customer in the long term.

I have listened to so much more music and discovered hundreds of bands I would never have listened to because of Spotify. I’m 100% happy with their service, I’d be willing to pay double what I currently pay.

Subscription services can 100% verified fact be good. I’m sure I’ll play games I never would have bothered with, and I’ll enjoy them too. Stop getting obsessed with the idea of ownership honey, everything is temporary.

Zerot
Aug 18, 2006
Panzer Dragoon Orta was supposed to leave Game Pass next week, but has instead been removed from the "Leaving Soon" section. It might be staying.

...because Microsoft is buying Sega!

https://twitter.com/Lee_Bright_Jr/status/1308934738351214592?s=20

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Yeah I'm on apple music now and I love not having to janitor MP3s across five loving devices anymore. I'm on the student rate so it's like 60 bucks a year to listen to whatever I want. I wish they'd put an app on PS4/Xbox though :argh:

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Crafty posted:

I have listened to so much more music and discovered hundreds of bands I would never have listened to because of Spotify. I’m 100% happy with their service, I’d be willing to pay double what I currently pay.

Subscription services can 100% verified fact be good. I’m sure I’ll play games I never would have bothered with, and I’ll enjoy them too. Stop getting obsessed with the idea of ownership honey, everything is temporary.

wow its like theyre two entirely different markets dealing with entirely different products. music streaming however has a different issue: spotify pays literal garbage to its artists. even using amazon music or apple music or google music is better, they all pay more to the artists. or support them by buying merch or bandcamp releases for artists you really enjoy. its insanely ironic tho you picked a market where we have an inverse situation that is good for the customer and horrifically bad for the people making the product lol its not any better and i absolutely think people should go buy their music directly from the people making it if they are financially able.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

Crafty posted:

drat its a shame ur posts cant make the xbox look good

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY

ethanol posted:

drat its a shame ur posts cant make the xbox look good

Series X looks pretty good tbh, nice simple box.

Zerot
Aug 18, 2006
Remote Play is now in the iOS beta of the Xbox app.

https://twitter.com/harrisonhoffman/status/1309520515900428294?s=20

StepDadJeff
Feb 22, 2005

Justice Jesus

Zerot posted:

Remote Play is now in the iOS beta of the Xbox app.

https://twitter.com/harrisonhoffman/status/1309520515900428294?s=20

I'm excited as heck for this. Can any Joe install the beta or do I need to be part of their beta program?

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Just follow the link. I've been streaming Tony Hawk to my phone while I watch NBA playoffs on the TV. It's a pretty decent little solution.

Zerot
Aug 18, 2006

StepDadJeff posted:

I'm excited as heck for this. Can any Joe install the beta or do I need to be part of their beta program?

I think you need to install Test Flight first and then click the link in the tweet. Unfortunately, it seems that people are saying the test flight is currently full. They can open more slots later, but I would bet this update will come to everyone fairly soon.

There's also an app called OneCast that people like for remote playing Xbox games. It costs money, however. I would wait unless you really, really want it now.

EDIT: It just let me install and open the app, so you should be able to use it!

Bad Parenting
Mar 26, 2007

This could get emotional...

Stux posted:

yes the article is a fluff piece to justify things post hoc. these companies do not need to pivot to live service, they never have, they are doing it because if its successful it is even more profitable than selling a game once. this is the entire reasoning. even this article is lying outright lol its saying again about the 30% steam cut being some millstone around the neck of AAA publishers. if thats true then how did they possibly survive during the pre-digital era, where their margins were far lower. physical sales were less profitable due to the store and platform holder cuts as well as physical production. alongside that, used games were the method people used to buy games cheaper rather than sales, and used games give approximately 0% back to the company. digital sales actually allow them to capture the budget market now that their sales arent undercut in the same stores theyre promoted in by a used market. the idea they need a subscription or they need microtransactions or they need a live service game is absolute nonsense, and if they have taken financial damage from trying to do this and failing rather than just making a game it is entirely self inflicted. gigantic companies are not victims.

even this stupid bit "they tried everything" they list games that were explicitly financial successes, the issue is they werent big enough. this is the same stupidity that lead activision to say destiny 2 wasnt profitable enough despite doing ridiculously well. its the same idiocy that had square enix yelling about games missing targets even when they sold fantastically and easily made profit. this isnt games failing, its games failing to make extraordinary levels of profit leading them to seek even more customer hostile monetization to inflate margins. they then list things that bethesda utterly failed at through their own fault and caused financial and reputational damage because they were incompetent and lazy. their store being an absolute dumpster fire to use and so comically badly made every game they released on it somehow came out with copy protection stripped outt before being added back in is their own fault. fallout 76 being a complete technical horrorshow with no content because they laser focused on making a game they sell a subscription for and to pile microtransactions on is their own fault because they focused on greed rather than making a competent product. these giant studios are consistently shooting themselves in the foot while still making profitable pieces of media and then going "woe is me" and its stunning people are falling for it.

This is a good and accurate post

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
So console remote play is just like Steam Link?

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

Thom12255 posted:

So console remote play is just like Steam Link?

Yeah.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Ask me about Game Pass: the Best Deal in Gaming!
Dishonored 2 no longer leaving gamepass this month as was planned... makes sense with the Bethesda acquisition. The other game slated to be removed and then kept in... Panzer Dragoon Orta by Sega. It's gonna happen

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013

American McGay posted:

Just follow the link. I've been streaming Tony Hawk to my phone while I watch NBA playoffs on the TV. It's a pretty decent little solution.

Streaming it from xCloud or from your console? I take it to do that you needed to switch HDMI inputs? I don't know if that would work with my Roku SmartTV where I would need to tell the TV to leave the console to go somewhere else.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Zerot posted:

Panzer Dragoon Orta was supposed to leave Game Pass next week, but has instead been removed from the "Leaving Soon" section. It might be staying.

...because Microsoft is buying Sega!

https://twitter.com/Lee_Bright_Jr/status/1308934738351214592?s=20

hahah I mean at some point... this is getting ridiculous

Zerot
Aug 18, 2006

Thom12255 posted:

Streaming it from xCloud or from your console? I take it to do that you needed to switch HDMI inputs? I don't know if that would work with my Roku SmartTV where I would need to tell the TV to leave the console to go somewhere else.

It streams from your Xbox to your phone or tablet over your home wifi.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
From the console. If your Xbox is in standby mode or whatever you can just boot it up directly from your phone and start playing on there. TV just stays on the cable box input.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

Local console streaming works decently well of it's wired in or you've got a good wifi network. LoL @ trying to make that work at a distance of your house to a data center though

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013

American McGay posted:

From the console. If your Xbox is in standby mode or whatever you can just boot it up directly from your phone and start playing on there. TV just stays on the cable box input.

So you can interact with all the functions of console entirely from the phone and never touch the tv?

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
You pair your Xbox controller to your phone but yeah. No TV needed.

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013

zenintrude posted:

Please never investigate the movie industry. You will have an aneurysm.

Pretty much the entire entertainment industry is the same kind of mess as games, yes. With games having the exciting additional problem that they are halfway between software and entertainment products. Like at least if a movie is terrible, it will still run on the projectors.

It's not a coincidence that music and movies are going to rental and streaming fast.

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster
Is there any reason Microsoft hasn't bought any Japanese developers yet? Is their some legal barriers that stop foreign businesses from buying native Japanese companies?

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Microsoft needs to buy out a Suda51 or Yoko Taro to compete with Sony on the goony Japanese auteur front.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Lammasu posted:

Is there any reason Microsoft hasn't bought any Japanese developers yet? Is their some legal barriers that stop foreign businesses from buying native Japanese companies?

Japan has laws that can stop native businesses from being bought out but also phil gave that embarrassing stat where only 1/3rd of game pass users had even launched a jpn game

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013

Real hurthling! posted:

Japan has laws that can stop native businesses from being bought out but also phil gave that embarrassing stat where only 1/3rd of game pass users had even launched a jpn game

I'm not sure if I've played a single Japanese made game.

Edit:

Just Super Mario Galaxy I think on the Wii, which I never finished.