Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Before technology approached physically based lighting all the detail in a texture had to be hand painted. Now you’ve got your flatly lit albedo map for detail layered with the bump to make it look raised layered with AO to make it shaded in the recesses layered with the specular to make it look shiny layered with the roughness to dull that shininess in spots.

Once RTX becomes a household thing I fear we’re going to have a year where every game is loaded with mirror like surfaces and plastic coating.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

laserghost
Feb 12, 2014

trust me, I'm a cat.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AijLmCjONGg

Wild T
Dec 15, 2008

The point I'm trying to make is that the only way to come out on top is to kick the Air Force in the nuts, beart it savagely with a weight and take a dump on it's face.

al-azad posted:

Once RTX becomes a household thing I fear we’re going to have a year where every game is loaded with mirror like surfaces and plastic coating.

But we already had Syndicate, am I right?

Not going to lie, ridiculous bloom effects and super-boring story aside I actually really enjoyed Syndicate. The gunplay was satisfying, the 4-player co-op was a blast and we even got the sultry gravel of Michael Wincott chewing scenery while executing civilians because he could. The single player was a real blast as long as you just ignore the plot and enjoy the setpieces and the co-op was a Left 4 Dead style shooter where you infiltrate various facilities fighting random mercenaries, armored minibosses your team would have to work together to bring down and damage and bosses that let you rip the chips from their skulls to improve your character. Shame it sold poorly and died quickly after release.

I remember finding an exploit in one of the co-op maps where you could pick up this massive automatic shotgun that was supposed to be a special weapon you could only use until the magazine ran out, a la the game's minigun. If you happen to have a shotgun as your other weapon, however, the game would still let you pick up shells from fallen enemies, reloading the murder cannon and letting me wade through waves of trash foes and just massacre the end-level boss with unrelenting streams of buckshot.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
The best part of Serious Sam was always the Cannon. As ultimate weapons go, that's a good one.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Mordja posted:

The best part of Serious Sam was always the Cannon. As ultimate weapons go, that's a good one.

Woohoo! Let's go bowling.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Mordja posted:

I can definitely agree there. It was an interesting take on the FPS Super Weapon: You've got the over-penetration of a railgun-type weapon, with a finale explosion from either cooking-off or colliding with a sufficiently tough enemy. Then there's all of the wonky physics on the rounds, so it's kind of like a Quake grenade launcher at times.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Has there ever been an explanation for why the BFG acts so weirdly?

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Groovelord Neato posted:

Has there ever been an explanation for why the BFG acts so weirdly?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MsCqLQJ1EOc&t

tldr: its random af

koren
Sep 7, 2003

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

I think my only issue/critique right now is that I hope that the bestiary is more fleshed out and dynamic in the actual game, because currently there's not really any "dance" or strategy to fights right now, even on harder difficulties. Like in a typical Doom II fight, you might have a couple of revenants placed as turrets, and they're launching homing rockets while some pinkies and lost souls rush in to put immediate melee pressure on you, and then a couple of medium-range Mancubus (Mancubui?) are throwing fireballs all over the place to complicate things.
You can't have this sort of design alongside Prodeus imps and cacodemon analogues that have a % chance to aim based on where they predict the player will be vs where they currently are. It makes dodging between enemies and space control largely irrelevant unless you are looking directly at the enemies at all time and changing how you move on reaction to their (very fast) projectiles. No doom style splitting of attention, herding and aggressive play. If you want to see what i'm talking about in practice, load up waste processing or whatever it's called in the community level hub, set the difficulty to hardest and wait till you get to the circular room with the first checkpoint, or the very last room. For a doom analogy, it's like trying to deal with multiple cyberdemons at once when you have an invisibility sphere forced on you.

laserghost
Feb 12, 2014

trust me, I'm a cat.

https://twitter.com/ModDB/status/1309485305402138624?s=20

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

I was unclear sorry - I know how it works I meant an explanation for why they made it that way.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Groovelord Neato posted:

I was unclear sorry - I know how it works I meant an explanation for why they made it that way.

I assume it was just a tech limit.

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005
The very end of the video covers that a bit.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Groovelord Neato posted:

The aim was to have a superweapon that would kill all enemies on screen. The first implementation (found in the press release version) just spammed 40 plasma balls left and right, but they thought it looked bad and it caused slow downs because the engine had to manage 40 new projectiles at once.

So they changed it to have one big ball and 40 invisible invisible hitscan attacks in a fan that are shot when the ball explodes. Same result of attacking everything in the player's field of view, but a lot less resource-intensive.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Except the projectile's cone is attached to the player's rotation for some reason?

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

al-azad posted:

Except the projectile's cone is attached to the player's rotation for some reason?

Yeah this is why I made my post.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

I bet they didn't really expect people to look away or move a huge amount between firing the BFG and the shot hitting.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Groovelord Neato posted:

Performance. The original idea was to throw a bunch of projectiles in a cone when you fired, in addition of the main projectile, but it hindered framerate too much. It was easier to just trace rays than spawn actual projectiles.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Turin Turambar posted:

Performance. The original idea was to throw a bunch of projectiles in a cone when you fired, in addition of the main projectile, but it hindered framerate too much. It was easier to just trace rays than spawn actual projectiles.

That's understandable, the question is why the exploding projectile is keyed to the player's rotation. I can only assume they didn't think to have the projectile reference its forward direction so when it explodes it checks where the player is looking.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

BattleMaster posted:

I bet they didn't really expect people to look away or move a huge amount between firing the BFG and the shot hitting.

Yeah. Once you know how it actually work, you can exploit its behavior to use it in unintended ways. Stuff like "shoot a ball in a specific direction before you walk on the teleporter so that the rays will kill the chaingunners in your back at the teleport destination" is not really how it was meant to be used originally.

al-azad posted:

That's understandable, the question is why the exploding projectile is keyed to the player's rotation. I can only assume they didn't think to have the projectile reference its forward direction so when it explodes it checks where the player is looking.

It's keyed to your rotation at the moment of pulling the trigger. Not at the moment the rays are shot.

Cat Mattress fucked around with this message at 16:50 on Sep 25, 2020

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Man I'm really sad I finished Doom 64 on Switch because something about the super-crisp visuals, colored lighting, and fog really spoke to me as I was blasting demons

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
For the first time ever Call of Duty is actually on sale for a decent price (£5.99), especially if you have Humble Choice which gives an extra 20% off (brings down to £4.79).

https://www.humblebundle.com/store/call-of-duty

edit: CoD2 for the same price!

https://www.humblebundle.com/store/call-of-duty-2

Convex fucked around with this message at 17:53 on Sep 25, 2020

Squeezy Farm
Jun 16, 2009
Was about to buy it cause i've long since lost my cod1 cds and i loved the mp/would be interested in revisiting campaign but it doesn't include United Offensive. fail!

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Fallom posted:

Man I'm really sad I finished Doom 64 on Switch because something about the super-crisp visuals, colored lighting, and fog really spoke to me as I was blasting demons

Play it again on a harder difficulty.:)

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Is it just me or are some of those textures ripped straight from Dark Forces/Jedi Knight?

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

chaosapiant posted:

Is it just me or are some of those textures ripped straight from Dark Forces/Jedi Knight?

Yeah, the readme credits DF and Eye of the Beholder

Hasturtium
May 19, 2020

And that year, for his birthday, he got six pink ping pong balls in a little pink backpack.

skasion posted:

Yeah, the readme credits DF and Eye of the Beholder

It also takes sound effects from Chasm: The Rift’s free add-on level pack. But it’s not like he’s selling it for money, or like the rights holders to those are being robbed materially by their repurposing.

ETPC
Jul 10, 2008

Wheel with it.
oh nice time to see how much modern warfare 3 costs in 2020

oh $50 for game + all dlc still neat

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Hasturtium posted:

It also takes sound effects from Chasm: The Rift’s free add-on level pack. But it’s not like he’s selling it for money, or like the rights holders to those are being robbed materially by their repurposing.

Yeah plenty of Doom mods jack assets from something or other. Nbd

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Nintendo games are discounted more often than Activision, they just don’t give a poo poo.

e: was having a rough day lol until I saw these highlights of an anime dog girl playing Doom and I just can't now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AlqofsQores&t=971s

Also I propose we change the name "damaging floor" to "hot carpet."

al-azad fucked around with this message at 23:29 on Sep 25, 2020

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

Wild T posted:

But we already had Syndicate, am I right?

Not going to lie, ridiculous bloom effects and super-boring story aside I actually really enjoyed Syndicate.

I had to gently caress around in the .cfg files to get the mouse feeling ok, because the options are incredibly barebones, but I enjoyed what I played of it. I had to give it up though, the bloom was so bad it hurt my eyes. There's a De-Bloom mod out there, if they ever release it on GOG, I'd like to try it again with that.

Looks neat! I like hearing it's using Eye of the Beholder textures, that tickles me.

Tim Thomas
Feb 12, 2008
breakdancin the night away
I’m curious: for textures and such, how long until they go into the public domain (if at all)?

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Tim Thomas posted:

I’m curious: for textures and such, how long until they go into the public domain (if at all)?

Textures are owned by the artist/rights holder and US law basically means they will never go public domain in your life time unless the rights holder says so.

Flannelette
Jan 17, 2010

Tim Thomas posted:

Irrelevant for free mods since people have been lifting assets from where ever they please wholesale since the 90s and no body does anything.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

I just tried the new Classic Doom games Beth released on Steam, as well as some of the mods on the download. I still love my custom GZDoom stuff, but I’m really impressed how well this version plays while carrying the most “classic” of looks. Only shame is that, unlike GZDoom, I can’t do Ultrawide.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

chaosapiant posted:

I just tried the new Classic Doom games Beth released on Steam, as well as some of the mods on the download. I still love my custom GZDoom stuff, but I’m really impressed how well this version plays while carrying the most “classic” of looks. Only shame is that, unlike GZDoom, I can’t do Ultrawide.

Don't we have Crispy or Chocolate Doom for the 'classic' looks?

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
https://twitter.com/jonk1969/status/1290096165929721856

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

al-azad posted:

e: was having a rough day lol until I saw these highlights of an anime dog girl playing Doom and I just can't now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AlqofsQores&t=971s

Her gimmick is she's just a full-on retro streamer. She does a lot of NES stuff, though she also does modern shooters or 2D platformers.

Lemon-Lime fucked around with this message at 11:20 on Sep 26, 2020

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Lemon-Lime posted:

Her gimmick is she's just a full-on retro streamer. She does a lot of NES stuff, though she also does modern shooters or 2D platformers.

That's not her gimmick at all, she just happens to like a lot of older games (and have abundant amounts of persistence and patience, like getting through Atlantis no Nazo and the NES Dragon's Lair).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Tim Thomas posted:

If the copyright belongs to one person (indie game): 70 years after the death of the author.
If it belongs to a company: 120 years after creation or 95 years after publication, whichever comes first.

So a game that was released when you were 15 will be public domain for your 110th birthday.