Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

WHERE IS THE CHAPTER

I NEED THE CHAPTER

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Professorjuggalo
Oct 22, 2019

by Cyrano4747
*runs into the thread with a kuma sized bible* can I talk to you today about nanomachines?

HerraS
Apr 15, 2012

Looking professional when committing genocide is essential. This is mostly achieved by using a beret.

Olive drab colour ensures the genocider will remain hidden from his prey until it's too late for them to do anything.

you mean those things in Squadro's sword that powered Whitebeard up by stabbing him through the loving chest?

jassa
Nov 7, 2005

"He's so awesome!"
He really is!

Professorjuggalo posted:

*runs into the thread with a kuma sized bible* can I talk to you today about nanomachines?

A twenty-two and a half foot bible? :O

Cat Machine posted:

WHERE IS THE CHAPTER

I NEED THE CHAPTER

Also this.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

HerraS posted:

you mean those things in Squadro's sword that powered Whitebeard up by stabbing him through the loving chest?

Lolling at this again

Anyway I wanna see Kizaru go hardcore on an MF almost as much as Garp.

Also Kaidos mid form

EmmyOk fucked around with this message at 11:24 on Sep 25, 2020

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN

oddium posted:

me: so we look at his flag and think what if he ate a cerberus fruit, and then the other two heads ate his other two fruits, which means...

alien (first contact): ... he would have a zoan, paramecia, AND logia whoa... i think we won't destroy earth after all. in fact this is going to unite the galaxy in peace. thanks oddium

thank u oddium

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

HerraS posted:

this was still the stupidest loving thing. i started, in recent years, reading the hajime no ippo reddit for discussion there because virtually nowhere else on the internet follows the series and you get similar "theories" popping up that just make absolutely no sense logically or narratively and i'm convinced its because the readers dont read anything aside from manga so they don't know that narratives have to like, piece together, rather than just being a series of "twists" at all times

Sub Harrison
May 2, 2013

Cat Machine posted:

WHERE IS THE CHAPTER

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

the chapter was in your hearts all along or whatever. idk.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

And remember when thinking Lolas mother would be Big Mom was controversial

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Here's the chapter https://manatoki78.net/comic/5633123?spage=1... ...in Korean :gonk:

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

EmmyOk posted:

And remember when thinking Lolas mother would be Big Mom was controversial

Honestly without the context of her having like seventy other kids it did feel insanely contrived that this new friend of the Strawhats just happened to have a mom that was one of the four Emperors.

Lpzie
Nov 20, 2006

amazing how fast you learn a language while in fight or flight.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Last Celebration posted:

Honestly without the context of her having like seventy other kids it did feel insanely contrived that this new friend of the Strawhats just happened to have a mom that was one of the four Emperors.

But it's Oda and he loves foreshadowing and "my mama is a strong pirate in the new world" it feels very unlikely it'd be some new pirate captain imo

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Last Celebration posted:

It's also insanely contrived that the son of the most wanted man in the world and grandson of one of the biggest heroes in the world knows one of the four emperors and kept running into the Seven Warlords. Welcome to fiction.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

Last Celebration posted:

I don't understand why that's contrived...

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Last Celebration posted:

This is assuming that there is another famous woman pirate in the New World. Which is possible, but seemed far less contrived than thinking Big Mom wouldn't look like Nami/Robin.

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL
If you stretch the meaning of contrived far enough it covers all of fiction.

e: not a statement directed at anyone in particular. Just a general feeling I get sometimes when I see the word used

Lamebot
Sep 8, 2005

ロボ顔菌~♡

those banners tho :asoiaf:

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Here you go (link for english fanscanlation) https://m.imgur.com/a/zoxMI0q

my parents boyfriend
Jan 28, 2007

Angel of Piratey Death, Yarrr!
One hell of a chapter, as always.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.
Kaido is concerned for his men, reassuring Jack. Such an odd collection of character traits.

Nice to see some precognition from Luffy Muad'dib here.

ThingOne
Jul 30, 2011

Would you like some tofu?

Of course the Numbers are obsessed with the Franky Shogun :allears:

Ubiquitus
Nov 20, 2011

kinemon slicing through one of kaido's attacks, even luffy hasn't done that yet

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

I completely forgot that Kinemon's entire shtick was fire cutting. Of course he'd cut through Kaido's fire breath!

yum
Oct 27, 2005

Only good things will come
to someone like
you.

Rohan Kishibe posted:

Kaido is concerned for his men, reassuring Jack. Such an odd collection of character traits.

Kaido probably views his men as his possessions. He's a dragon so he's gotta protect his hoard!!

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

I can't wait until we get a better translation to get the tone of some of the things said, but I loved Franky, Zoro, and Jimbei all having moral issues with trusting an avowed traitor like Drake.

And then Luffy just says don't worry, he'll be our ally.

And then Zoro keeps fighting Drake while Luffy runs off.

And finally Zoro and Drake bonding over their mutual hatred of Apoo.

That's just a really amusing sequence, but it also emphasizes Zoro's real role in the crew as a kind of moral arbiter. I've never really liked Zoro- he always seemed like just a strong stoic guy, which is fine, but not super interesting to me- right up until the end of Enies Lobby. When he put his foot down and said "Ussop can't come back until he apologizes" and Luffy listened to him, that's when he got a new dimension as someone with a sense of... I don't want to say morality, but how things need to be for a group to work. Issues of face and trust and honor are important for creating group cohesion when you're a lawless pirate.

So there's a little bit of that here, where he's not accepting Luffy's cheerful friendly acceptance, and stays behind to keep testing Drake. It's a cool dynamic.

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

yum posted:

Kaido probably views his men as his possessions. He's a dragon so he's gotta protect his hoard!!

idk if this is a joke, but i'd argue this isn't really the impression we've gotten from kaido yet. he's...definitely ruthless, yes... but for his "crew" aka the named characters that he interacts with, he seems... good to them? he's a weird character, and we definitely need his backstory to make sense of him, because the impressions we got at the beginning of him are not bearing out whatsoever

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
One of my favourite bits of wano is Luffy and zoros complete joy at finding each other and then immediately breaking the rule not to cause a scene

Like zoro has wanted to cut loose the entire time and now Luffy is there it's going to happen and he's happy about it because it's fine

Jose fucked around with this message at 01:18 on Sep 26, 2020

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

Gyges posted:

Blackbeard never sleeps because each of the triplets controls the body for eight hours a day while the other two sleep. The darkness fruit actually just lets more than one be awake at a time, allowing them to simultaneously use their separate fruits.

Its true, hes been Prestigeing us all this time. Thats why hes drawn with an inconsistent number of teeth.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.
Such a small character moment nobody's mentioned is that Sanji showed up and entrusted Ussop to take care of Nami. That's usually something he'd only leave up to Luffy, and begrudgingly Zoro. Regardless of whether or not Nami could hold her own, he wouldn't usually trust anyone but himself or someone stronger than he is to protect a woman.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

RealFoxy posted:

Such a small character moment nobody's mentioned is that Sanji showed up and entrusted Ussop to take care of Nami. That's usually something he'd only leave up to Luffy, and begrudgingly Zoro. Regardless of whether or not Nami could hold her own, he wouldn't usually trust anyone but himself or someone stronger than he is to protect a woman.

Yea I caught this too it was very cool :)

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

For a guy who was boasted to be near-invincible, Kaido sure is taking a lot of damage early on in the war. I wish Kin'emon showed this kind of power in earlier arcs. I find it hard to believe the birdcage strings are stronger than Kaido.

yum
Oct 27, 2005

Only good things will come
to someone like
you.

tbp posted:

idk if this is a joke, but i'd argue this isn't really the impression we've gotten from kaido yet. he's...definitely ruthless, yes... but for his "crew" aka the named characters that he interacts with, he seems... good to them? he's a weird character, and we definitely need his backstory to make sense of him, because the impressions we got at the beginning of him are not bearing out whatsoever

It was a joke but I do think that Kaido views them that way. I mean sure, we're shown that he humors them and drinks with them but his relationship is very much built on power and crewmembers are ranked based on how much utility they bring to Kaido's arsenal. I mean, the guy's dream is to start a global forever war and he recruits subordinates based on strength. Combined with the industrialization theme that he's got going on, my impression is that Kaido sees his crew as valuable tools of war.

It would also be a good foil to Whitebeard and Big Mom, the former viewing his crew as genuine family, the latter a family in name only but really based on how useful they are to the captain (i.e. Lola being excommunicated), and then finally Kaido's crew where niceties such as family are foregone altogether

I do agree that we haven't seen enough of his backstory yet to know how it really is but that's just my 2 cents

euphemism
Nov 16, 2015

be kind, don't rewind
i think kaido respects and values strength. he doesnt care about his weakling members.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

TheLoneStar posted:

For a guy who was boasted to be near-invincible, Kaido sure is taking a lot of damage early on in the war. I wish Kin'emon showed this kind of power in earlier arcs. I find it hard to believe the birdcage strings are stronger than Kaido.

It's been implied that somehow the trauma of Oden and/or Oden's will in the scabbards is affecting kaido. How that works os anyone's guess

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

TheLoneStar posted:

i mean, aside from the stabbing, is he really taking damage? that was a shocking moment, sure, but he's hardly been too hurt himself

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

tbp posted:

i mean, aside from the stabbing, is he really taking damage? that was a shocking moment, sure, but he's hardly been too hurt himself
Maybe not major damage, but he was bragged about again and again about how invincible he was and how huge of a deal Oden was for being able to wound him. Then the first thing Kaido does in the war was get stabbed and injured by the Scabbards. Again, doesn't sit too right with me since Kin'emon never showed to be nearly this strong in earlier arcs. If it is because of trauma by getting hurt by Oden, I hope it fades soon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Boy I sure can't believe collective strength of will accomplished something in One Piece